GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 64 : Car Control 101

• Thread starter EDK
  • 202 comments
Assign RA functions to buttons in controller settings.
I've set that up ever since GT5:Prologue.

Ugh.

I have been using it totally stock 5/5, no aids apart from ABS 1.

These were my splits:

I don't want to use Aids but I will try the Brake changes, didn't realise you could use RA brake changes on Recommended cars.

I use engine braking for the first corner, just downshift to 1st gear while braking hard. My braking point for that corner is the horisontal line on the asphalt.
I use ABS 10, brake balance 10/6, AS on strong and I use driving line (shows how utterly useless I am on this track :ouch:).

I would use the braking line as well, but I'm trying my best to kick that assist off! 10/6, interesting. I was just running 5/5 yesterday as my adjusted balance I tried made me slower haha. Do you take the whole first bend in 1st gear? I haven't been dropping below 2nd anywhere on the track, is this slower? :dunce:

I would use the braking line as well, but I'm trying my best to kick that assist off! 10/6, interesting. I was just running 5/5 yesterday as my adjusted balance I tried made me slower haha. Do you take the whole first bend in 1st gear? I haven't been dropping below 2nd anywhere on the track, is this slower? :dunce:

1st gear yes. I shift to 2nd at 3/4s of the rumble strip on the exit (left side).
Car understeers in 2nd so I can't hit the apex (since I need good turn-in after heavy braking).

BTW Speedy. Thanks for the headsup yesterday. I realized my own mistake, but appreciate your warning non the less. :cheers:

Last edited:
Ah i see ok, BUT are you able to get the time submitted now that the deadline is passed?

Speedy is the 'magician' with the all seeying eye, he can fix everything ;)

I am not the magician here mate. :lol:

Barrie, as your time was submitted before the deadline it will get included by Vaxen (he's the magician ;)).

I've been using AS on strong, 4/4 BB and ABS 1 so far, I might try some other settings on my next run.

No reportable splits yet, but I ran this a little more last night, expanding on my test session. I was a little too close to a wall on my saved fastest, so do not want to post the splits.

I was using BB 10/8 at the end of my session. Will try winding down the rear BB.

If I'm honest, I feel a bit lost in turn 2. I feel like I'm either too slow or too fast going in, nothing in between. It might be dependent on my launch off of turn 1 and the speed carried. Anytime I try to push the brake point, I just fly into the wall on the left side of the turn.

Is this just much more of a slow in, fast out corner, where you need to get the braking out of the way, point the car, and hammer down?

I feel like I have approach down for the rest of the turns, just struggling with that one.

Holy crap this car ain't no racecar! :)

I've never been good with these kind of slippy-slidey cars, but I'll see if I can make an effort to learn this week if I have the time. Did a couple of laps now with default BB and AT and my best split was about 35.1, which feels respectable but nothing special. Love the way the car feels with AS off but it's just faster in the second sector with it on strong.

EDK
No reportable splits yet, but I ran this a little more last night, expanding on my test session. I was a little too close to a wall on my saved fastest, so do not want to post the splits.

I was using BB 10/8 at the end of my session. Will try winding down the rear BB.

If I'm honest, I feel a bit lost in turn 2. I feel like I'm either too slow or too fast going in, nothing in between. It might be dependent on my launch off of turn 1 and the speed carried. Anytime I try to push the brake point, I just fly into the wall on the left side of the turn.

Is this just much more of a slow in, fast out corner, where you need to get the braking out of the way, point the car, and hammer down?

I feel like I have approach down for the rest of the turns, just struggling with that one.

I'll try to help.

Turn 2 is tricky and is a real pain in the arse to get right (considering I always lost good T1s there).
Regardless of your speed from corner 1 just brake as soon as braking indicator starts blinking. Brake hard at the beginning and then decrease braking (Cobra doesn't like trailbraking, always brake in a straight line) as you approach the corner, start turning in as soon as you reach the part of the rumble strip on your left side. Your speed through the corner should be about 60mph. Avoid hitting the curb on the entry (right side) and start applying throttle as you line up with the green painted asphalt on your left. It's throttle modulation from there on and when you feel confident just floor it.
So yes, this is a slow in - fast out corner (in a way).

I hope this helped (and I apologise for my previous comment regarding the combo).

Last edited:
I'll try to help.

Turn 2 is tricky and is a real pain in the arse to get right (considering I always lost good T1s there).
Regardless of your speed from corner 1 just brake as soon as braking indicator starts blinking. Brake hard at the beginning and then decrease braking (Cobra doesn't like trailbraking, always brake in a straight line) as you approach the corner, start turning in as soon as you reach the part of the rumble strip on your left side. Your speed through the corner should be about 60mph. Avoid hitting the curb on the entry (right side) and start applying throttle as you line up with the green painted asphalt on your left. It's throttle modulation from there on and when you feel confident just floor it.
So yes, this is a slow in - fast out corner (in a way).

I hope this helped (and I apologise for my previous comment regarding the combo).

Thanks, that does help. 👍

I've probably been grabbing too much apex curb when I have speed, which is likely what's launching me into the wall.

I don't use the shift indicator light, the driving line, or active steering.

So I'll have to figure out my fixed braking point on my own. From what I could gather so far, it's somewhere in between the first 2 marker signs.

Really enjoying this combo, getting used to the car and starting to get into a rhythm, just ran about 50 laps:

T1 14.541
T2 20.579

T1 seems to be the hardest one for me, can't seem to get the braking right, but for t2 I seem to be consistently getting mid 20.6s now which is good, but the less said about t3 the better lol.

EDK
From what I could gather so far, it's somewhere in between the first 2 marker signs.

For turn 2 I hit the brakes just before the 100m. There's a nice reference point where the blue concrete barrier on the left ends and the metal one starts, and also a small light patch of tarmac inline with the barrier change. I use the bumper cam so its quite easy to spot.
I've been taking quite a wide entry and found if I clip the curb on the apex I can get round near 63-65mph.

Here's my time for this slippery devil.

WK 64 Splits '66 Cobra

Pulling out

Last edited:
For turn 2 I hit the brakes just before the 100m. There's a nice reference point where the blue concrete barrier on the left ends and the metal one starts, and also a small light patch of tarmac inline with the barrier change. I use the bumper cam so its quite easy to spot.
I've been taking quite a wide entry and found if I clip the curb on the apex I can get round near 63-65mph.

:cheers: Will give that a try.

I see a typo right there.

Surprised it took you guys this long to find that one. Must be losing your touch. :sly:

My splits with DS3. Need to try an fix my Driving Force Pro pedals because I only seem to get about 80% throttle. Hooked them up for the BMW week 62 and came within .3 of my fastest DS3 lap. That's at 80% throttle.

Think i'm gonna give this one a break till Sunday / Monday now, I can't even seem to get anywhere near the splits I posted on Sunday eve. I just seem to always end up in the wall or swapping ends. :ouch:

Hey Lucas, you know what's worse than sitting at work wondering what kind of splits someone is doing?

Sitting at work watching everyone post splits well ahead of the ones I posted!

Man these guys are putting up some great times!!

I hear you, but at least you still have that brown turd in T1! :lol:

EDIT: I gave it a whirl last night with the DS3 and TC=3, and had a ball, and got .815's in both T1 & T2. :odd: Not jazzed enough to post those yet. -_- For some reason 3rd person view felt right, for once, I usually hate that view!

I gave it a whirl last night with the DS3 and TC=3, and had a ball, and got .815's in both T1 & T2!

Are others using TCS (wheel or DS3 users)? I ran without it and can feel the time disappearing in the traction zones out of the first and last corners. If I get another run, I'll notch it up and see what happens. Cheers Lucas :sly:

Well here we go not even close to what some of you guys/girls are posting but having a ball trying.

My set up
TC=1
ABS=1
BB 7/5
everything else is off,I try and run a car the way it was when built and back in 66there was no ABS or traction control never mind stability control. So you can imagine the skills it took to pilot this car in real life :bowdown:

New splits. Still try to learn this thing - the car and the track.

T1: 14.919
T2: 20.983

Are others using TCS (wheel or DS3 users)? I ran without it and can feel the time disappearing in the traction zones out of the first and last corners. If I get another run, I'll notch it up and see what happens.

I'm not using it, infact I have not even tried it. My lap has a bit of wheel spin in it and it's still pretty quick, too much wheel spin will lose you time though.:)

Back