GTP_WRS : Suggestions Box

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 1,032 comments
And the 2nd chicane at Monza.The F1 guys are completely off the black stuff when exiting. I think the current format is quite acceptable.👍

And the 2nd chicane at Monza.The F1 guys are completely off the black stuff when exiting. I think the current format is quite acceptable.👍

If they face a "stop'n'go" penalty in the pits I doubt they will do it :)

The other example is The last chicane on Suzuka. Basically, all 4 wheels are not touching pavement at all. Which really is ridiculous. But im a hipocrite cuz i do it too (peer pressure). I think its ok for 2 tires on rumble strip (2 wheels/the side where the curb is), but ones those two tires touches grass (or green pavement), then its officially dirty.

Really you can accurately place all 4 wheels inside the kerbing and gain time from it? Or do you not count the kerbing as part of the track? Again.....V8 Supercars footage........

Don't make me try and find some V8 Supercar footage.:mischievous:

:lol:

Just watch V8 Supercars at Adelaide street circuit senna chicane. They launch the cars off the kerb, all 4 wheels off the ground.:lol:

Really you can accurately place all 4 wheels inside the kerbing and gain time from it? Or do you not count the kerbing as part of the track? Again.....V8 Supercars footage........

Are we driving V8 Supercars? No.

Firstly, im only referring to Suzuka and to answer your first question, yes, in the game, you can gain time. And yes, if by curbing you mean rumble strip, yes, It is part of the track. But - once you have 2 wheels on the rumble strip and 3/4 the width of the car into the infield (or green painted curbing) then its just ridiculous. Watch JGTC and see if they regularly jump the chicane (4 wheels off tarmac) like we do in the game.

Generally speaking though, depending on what discipline, or to which track, yes drivers ride the curb/rumble strip.

:lol:

Just watch V8 Supercars at Adelaide street circuit senna chicane. They launch the cars off the kerb, all 4 wheels off the ground.:lol:

Again.....V8 Supercars footage........

Yes, the over the top rumble strip cutting is immensely unrealistic.
NO, we are not, but they are real, so it IS realiistic to hop over a kerb. I think that is all they are trying to convey:D 👍

NO, we are not, but they are real, so it IS realiistic to hop over a kerb. I think that is all they are trying to convey:D 👍

Yes correct. Pretty much every single category that races in Australia kerb hops, so it is realistic. In road cars people don't do it as much mainly for the reason that it damages it because it can't be put under that load but it is faster, people just don't want to damage their road cars.;)

Watch the FIA GT cars round silverstone too for a bit of turning a chicane into a straight line!

Firstly, im only referring to Suzuka and to answer your first question, yes, in the game, you can gain time. And yes, if by curbing you mean rumble strip, yes, It is part of the track. But - once you have 2 wheels on the rumble strip and 3/4 the width of the car into the infield (or green painted curbing) then its just ridiculous. Watch JGTC and see if they regularly jump the chicane (4 wheels off tarmac) like we do in the game.

Generally speaking though, depending on what discipline, or to which track, yes drivers ride the curb/rumble strip.

In addition to what others have said, cars like JGTC, F1 etc don't kerb hop as often because it doesn't make sense for them to do it, they're too stiff and rigid. V8 Supercars, and especially road cars, stand to gain more from it because they absorb the shock better.

Never done a Vette yet. I'd like to wrestle an arcade 5 lapper on Suzuka East. We could even do it online again and just discuss our fastest lap times, and flood the online rankings again, that was neat.

Maybe have a thread for collecting all the results of the previous WRS's to one single post? would be nice to see on one glance the overall performance.... Now it's kind of hard work to get an idea who has done well in the past on wrs. Or maybe I have missed some significant thread.. ....that wouldn't suprise me tbh. :)

Maybe have a thread for collecting all the results of the previous WRS's to one single post? would be nice to see on one glance the overall performance.... Now it's kind of hard work to get an idea who has done well in the past on wrs. Or maybe I have missed some significant thread.. ....that wouldn't suprise me tbh. :)
Here is al the data of the wrs GT5P:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115513

Suggestions are always welcomed and stimulated.
So if any has a idea which will fit in the WRS,please don't hesitate.

But keep in mind that a suggestion backed up by test results or a write up has a better chance then just wishes.:)
There you go.

I have to say, given this week's level of fun, a twist like using the Elise 111R around Suzuka full would be neat.

Last edited:
Well considering the news about the release of GT5 it looks like the days (weeks) of Prologue WRS are counted. In fact you can count them considering the actual date will likely be December 1st. Week 57 will then be the final one of our lovely series before the world changes quite a bit :cool: leaving us 14 combos to have.

I'd like to suggest to end this series with a sort-of-retry of the most popular weeks we had for the past year. Those combos were:

02 (41 submissions): clio @ suzuka
03 (39 submissions): mini @ london
24 (36 submissions): f430 @ eiger
26 (36 submissions): aston @ suzuka
27 (43 submissions): avenza @ hsr
32 (35 submissions): f599 @ fuji f

Or the mods could set up a poll asking WRS members which combos they'd like to run out of these, and then give them a twist to keep it interesting.

This may take too much time for a week. But what if we chose a popular all around car (like clio or such) did our best hot lap on each track and then added em up!

Could we do a week with the Lion's Den Performance Alfa Romeo Brera Predator Edition? Such a fun car to drive.👍

EDK
Please move any further conversation on the Online TT Subject over here -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112000

:cheers:
Kevin

We have the discussion regarding ONLine TT/No splittimes ,just final laptimes,before in the past.

Personal I would be against it.

-Number one reason for me:
The format of secretly and sending times in before a deadline makes the WRS unique in GT land.
Lots of GT forums,including the Planet already have competitions with open times before a deadline.

By allowing public knowledge of the final TT laptimes in the WRS ,the ground of which the WRS is build will fall apart.

It will be just as every TT race on every forum.

-Seeing your name in a top ten ranking will be only possible for the really fast racers,those are also the ones who are the most in favour for public laptimes.
I sense a ego smell covered with an excuse that it will be good for the publicity of GT Planet.

-What if a time on the ranking is dirty and you can't beat it anymore,especially if it is a top ten time.
Seems a nasty situation or shall we make the rules less strict.
If the OLR ranking time is on the board,the lap is valid.:dopey:

Sofar I have seen mostly people who are in favour of public laptimes but my opinion is obvious,....no.
Certainly with the feedback what happend with the EYS races.

Ego smell? :lol: :lol: ..I admit I'd just like to see my efforts on the board for myself, that's all.. nothing wrong there in my mind. Only the side benefit would be the publicity for planet. :D

Your reasoning is solid Sjaak, and I've never had trouble with the current way of WRS. A few times I just drove the combo again after the results were out. Has worked just fine like that too.

If I could choose we would make it online with the possibility to submit a different lap with a replay. But luckily, it's not my decision.. :cheers:

If I could choose we would make it online with the possibility to submit a different lap with a replay. But luckily, it's not my decision.. :cheers:

Half of the racers online,other half offline....mmmm..would that work.

So I have no internet connection on my ps3,and post my top ten laptime just a minute before the deadline.

Or must we force everybody to do laps online...

Flooding the standings I heard,..ok ....to show we are superior?

The GTP_tag stands for clean and honest racers,not fast racers.
That a lot of GTP_tagged racers have massive speed is a nice extra.

The question is will it be a cleaner competition,perhaps a better competition or even a more fair competition?
Or is it wise to go for a format that exist since feb 2003 ,week after week...

No,I can't see going online would benefit the WRS .

Since we have participants from around the world, we have a rather unique problem with our deadlines. Our current deadline of midnight GMT on Monday means that anyone who happens to live on the West Coast of the US will be at work for the last 8 hours of each weekly event, putting these racers at a distinct disadvantage. Australia finds this time block to inconveniently span most of the night and early morning. Varying the deadline would only lead to confusion.

Keeping the final time secret reduces the advantage of living in a particular timezone, especially when ghosts of the top drivers are available for all to see and follow.

The current qualifier was chosen because it was also an IFTC combo, meaning that the current online leaderboard is chock full of very fast times. It's very possible to get into the top 100 or even the top 10 for the very fastest WRS racers, but at most would only affect division 1.

All that said, I do support running events online, at least some of the time. Limited time events reduce some of the time zone advantage, so maybe we'll see more of those in the future.

Ultimately it's in Kevin's capable hands. 👍

We've had TT's in the WRS where you had to submit the sum of 3 consecutive laps, and these were allowed to be done online. These are great because they allow only your fastest lap to show on the online leaderboard, while retaining the secrecy/surprise element for the results.

Perhaps all TT's in the WRS could consist of submitting 2 consecutive laps to cater for online leaderboards and secrecy/surprise in the results?

The only downside I see to this is that for replay purposes, they would have to be your 1st 2 laps.

Or is it wise to go for a format that exist since feb 2003 ,week after week...

Whoa! I thought the world was all about change these days. :)

I think what we are seeing here is the fact that we have to live with this game for another 5 months and people are trying to come up with new ways to make things feel different or more interesting. I'm not saying that the WRS hasn't been interesting - quite the contrary, it brought me back to things here about 4 weeks ago and its been very rewarding. I've even gone back to a few previous WRS events and tried them out.

I think what we are hearing is that people who work hard want to be recognized. Heck, that's the case in anything we do. Figuring out how we achieve that is the challenge for all of us.

Now, let's race! 👍

I think we could beat on this topic until the end of time.

Understand that while the WRS is changing stewardship, the overall principles that have guided the WRS will not change considerably.

Sjaak has done a magnificent job in over 2 years of handling the WRS. He should be recognized and praised for bringing new ideas to the table, while working hard to keep things fresh and interesting.

I can only hope to have the level of success he had.

So please know, at this point, the online vs. offline debate has been taken into account, and will be considered for future races. Let's get back to focusing on what's at hand -

Making Sjaak's last week a great one. 👍

:cheers:
Kevin

Last edited:
Back