GTP_WRS Week 24: Official Results

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 71 comments
Naw. I figure rubble of tarmac is still tarmac and everything else is clean also. That's the only spot I think you may have lost a tic having to climb and bounce your way out. The rest of the lap looked pretty good hitting all the apexes
except in turn one. I think you turned into the turn too soon and it caused you to wash up and out. But it didn't cost you too much time. At least not enough to put you into 2nd. Overall great lap.

And I am still awaiting your analysis of my lap mate.

3---1'19.663---GTP_EDK
greenflag-gif.152575
:cheers: for the check. I unbolded the part with my name, as Fetchy does not like to pick up the flags when there is bold there. He's been really picky lately. Must feel underappreciated. :lol:

GTP_ConRollins
greenflag-gif.152575

Our T1's are almost identical time wise, I have nothing for you. T2, you have me, and the difference I found with my technique and those who were faster is drivers like yourself kept the car turned in longer and allowed it to rotate a bit more for exit. I allow it to drift out, and I think I lose some grip. Counter-intuitive, to think you would gain grip by keeping lock on, but I think it's a track position thing.

The last sector, you lose about a tenth to me, and about 150 to my best ones. Smoother for the right left, with less tire scrub could gain you a small amount. Most of it is in braking later for the last turn, carrying deeper, turning in later, and powering out sooner.

Nice looking lap, good and tidy. 👍

couttsy21
greenflag-gif.152575

I had a tenth on you in sector one, gave back .167 in sector 2, and our last sectors were about dead even, with .048 separating at the line, so I guess I grabbed .020 back on the way to the line. I say all that to say, I don't have much for you, other than to say great driving, and good job with second in D2. 👍

And, replay checks are done for the week. 👍

EDK
That's what I call yeoman's work. It helps that each replay is only about 80 seconds, and there was only one person who broke out of his subdivision and didn't make the podium.

Reactions: EDK
That's what I call yeoman's work. It helps that each replay is only about 80 seconds, and there was only one person who broke out of his subdivision and didn't make the podium.
Yup. Still took me a couple hours in total, with writeups, extra file transfers due to double naming, and having to do pics due to one DQ.

But notice I did not pick the Nurburgring week to do this. ;) :lol:

EDK
Yup. Still took me a couple hours in total, with writeups, extra file transfers due to double naming, and having to do pics due to one DQ.

But notice I did not pick the Nurburgring week to do this. ;) :lol:
But mostly the write-ups?

I definitely noticed that as I did 4 of those (but without the write-ups). Rank has its privileges. :lol:

Well done on D3 podium, that does stand out.

I had a good feeling about my final sector, too bad the first was terrible. I need to see where I'm going?

EDK
ItsAllAboutWins
greenflag-gif.152575

Damn fine looking lap with the pad, man. Don't know how you make such smooth steering inputs.

Nice P2 for D1 and overall. 👍

What, no tips? :lol: Thanks for all the checks and the notable mention. Controller sensitivity plays a key role in being smooth on the ds3. I find the lowest sensitivity that I can use for the most technical part of the track, then adjust my initial turn in with the thumbstick to avoid tyre scrubbing. As for acceleration and braking inputs, its hit and miss. I'm still not at the speed that I had in Forza 3 or Grid 1, but I'm thinking the triggers (or lack there-of) are a big piece of that puzzle. Still, it's nice to be able to pull on a negative handicap in d1 with the ds3 👍 thanks for not picking the CH tires :lol:

Pretty happy with a win even though i completly missed the last corner! after t2 it felt like walking on eggs:lol:

Thx to Brandon @ItsAllAboutWins for the conversation that motivated me to find a way to run a last session:tup:
and well done on the 2nd place!

I guess the key this week was either sniffing paint fumes, or eating the paint chips :lol: those are some insane t1 times! Congrats on your win! No more motivational talks if I can't get another session in! Got yourself a nice handicap out of it too!

Nice win @mike_gt3.

Great job @ItsAllAboutWins and @DTM for rounding out the podium.

I'm really surprised I didn't lose any spots in t3,I didn't think it was very good. It was nice to be back, hopefully I'll get back in the groove again.

Thanks Baron! You where so close to a podium. I was factoring in my best T3 to everyones t2 and anyone up to 7th place could have passed me. I bet you get a podium soon.

What, no tips? :lol: Thanks for all the checks and the notable mention. Controller sensitivity plays a key role in being smooth on the ds3. I find the lowest sensitivity that I can use for the most technical part of the track, then adjust my initial turn in with the thumbstick to avoid tyre scrubbing. As for acceleration and braking inputs, its hit and miss. I'm still not at the speed that I had in Forza 3 or Grid 1, but I'm thinking the triggers (or lack there-of) are a big piece of that puzzle. Still, it's nice to be able to pull on a negative handicap in d1 with the ds3 👍 thanks for not picking the CH tires :lol:

I guess the key this week was either sniffing paint fumes, or eating the paint chips :lol: those are some insane t1 times! Congrats on your win! No more motivational talks if I can't get another session in! Got yourself a nice handicap out of it too!

Thanks Baron! You where so close to a podium. I was factoring in my best T3 to everyones t2 and anyone up to 7th place could have passed me. I bet you get a podium soon.

There are clip on triggers for the DS3 I think, shouldn't be too expensive, maybe you should check them out.

There are clip on triggers for the DS3 I think, shouldn't be too expensive, maybe you should check them out.

I seen those before. I believe they would help to a certain degeee, but ai also believe that the ds3 outputs inconsistent trigger placement. I can hold 1/4 brake on one lap, then the next lap with the same amount of trigger decompressed, it'll show some random output like 75% or 80% brake being pushed in.

EDK
Congrats to all the winners and podium finishers. Well done by @mike_gt3 with the overall, looks like your last sector was enough. :dopey:

As I mentioned in the race thread, sorry to the guy who has to check my lap, for the close call on the right hand side of the last turn of T1. I checked it carefully, and I know there's a bit of that left rear tire still on tarmac at the worst part. But please scrutinize all you would like. 👍

Checking some replays now. I like to give tips where I can.

jonjig
greenflag-gif.152575

Nice, tidy lap. 👍 First sector, you could have pushed a bit more between turns 1 and 2, but most of your time lost was due to line in turn 3. You turned in late, it causes the car to miss the groove, and you actually had to give more power than you should need to, inducing more wheel spin. Turn 4, you could just carry more speed in, and again find the groove. I have nothing for you in the second and third sectors, our times were nearly identical there. Nice looking lap. :)

Thanks, followed your advice; low aggression, keep it smooth..

Thanks for sharing your wisdom :gtpflag:..

Congrats to all other winners...

EDK
couttsy21
greenflag-gif.152575

I had a tenth on you in sector one, gave back .167 in sector 2, and our last sectors were about dead even, with .048 separating at the line, so I guess I grabbed .020 back on the way to the line. I say all that to say, I don't have much for you, other than to say great driving, and good job with second in D2. 👍

Thanks for checking and the analysis! 👍

I got pretty lucky through sector 2, tried for an hour after I set this one and was being smoked by my ghost every time there! Happy with my time and position and 2nd D1 time in a row! :D

Thanks for checking @EDK
Have only just bought a DFGT and it starts playing up, Cutting In & Out:confused:.
Having Un-plugged & Re-plugged everything, was feeling a little agitated:banghead:.

Problem Solved. Very untidy lap but better than my earlier splits.

Congratulations to all Podium finishers & Negative Handicaps

Thanks for checking @EDK
Have only just bought a DFGT and it starts playing up, Cutting In & Out:confused:.
Having Un-plugged & Re-plugged everything, was feeling a little agitated:banghead:.

Problem Solved. Very untidy lap but better than my earlier splits.

Congratulations to all Podium finishers & Negative Handicaps
Gotcha.

On the Logitech wheels, it's usually the serial connector under the wheel base that causes problems.

Suggest ensuring some slack, and winding it around the block that's under there, then routing out using the clip in grooves. If you just go direct to the clip in groove, it tends to pull on that cable. Also suggest bolting vs. Clamping, as possible.

Congrats on the wheel purchase, you'll wonder why you ever drove with controller.

EDK
Congrats on the wheel purchase, you'll wonder why you ever drove with controller.

Amazing work Kevin!! Dedication is the word that comes to mind. Only a bit jealous that I'm not getting that healthy dose of advice this week...
Regarding DS3: I can't say how big an achievement it is from ItsAllaboutWins to keep pace with D1. Congrats on that. No chance to get a decent wheel for a fair price here in Argentina. A DS3 will get you back 100USS, a g27 wheel 500USS. Now that's more than a mortgage payment for me and very difficult to justify, even to myself.
Anyone remembers how much time they gained on average when they switched from DS3 to a wheel? It's something I would like to know...

Well done on D3 podium, that does stand out.

I had a good feeling about my final sector, too bad the first was terrible. I need to see where I'm going?

Yes, but you passed me in that final sector and I didnt see that coming :ouch:
Anyway, having a negative handicap is always good.
Congrats to the podiums :gtpflag:

Amazing work Kevin!! Dedication is the word that comes to mind. Only a bit jealous that I'm not getting that healthy dose of advice this week...
Regarding DS3: I can't say how big an achievement it is from ItsAllaboutWins to keep pace with D1. Congrats on that. No chance to get a decent wheel for a fair price here in Argentina. A DS3 will get you back 100USS, a g27 wheel 500USS. Now that's more than a mortgage payment for me and very difficult to justify, even to myself.
Anyone remembers how much time they gained on average when they switched from DS3 to a wheel? It's something I would like to know...

Nothing, then more than enough to justify it when I'd got used to my DFGT. It cost enough that it was a struggle to afford basic essentials for a month for me, and I'd do it again. Others feel differently though, go with your gut. My G27 was a gift, if anyone's curious, so it was just customs *spits* that I had to pay.

Yeah, that is a steep price to pay, and unfortunate. Have you looked into buying on Amazon and having shipped to you? Not sure if there are duty/tax issues with that, but the shipping does not look to be out of reach, just quickly glancing through their international rates to Latin America. A g27 is $209 USD. Looks like you can find DFGT's just a bit cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404829133&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=logitech DFGT

@mohitraina91 was one of the most recent wheel converters, and it was worth at least one division for him. He actually started in D3, just like you, and qualified for D1 on GT6.

There have been several others over the years, many D2 and even D3 drivers who make it to D1. The guys who are reasonably quick on a pad tend to see a switch go off when they change to a wheel, and they get much faster, very quickly.

@MadMax was another D2 driver with controller. He and I used to fight it out in D2 on GT4, but he's got a bit of pace on me with the wheel, almost all of the time, on almost every combo.

There are many, many others, especially going back to Prologue. These are just guys who are relatively recent converters and still somewhat active, which I thought would give you a nice, relative comparison.

Congrats to Mike for the overall win 👍 and all other Division winners :cheers:

Wish I had got back on this to iron out the creases but it wasn't to be... Cya's at the next plug and play combo hopefully :cool:
Cheers Ron.

EDK
Yeah, that is a steep price to pay, and unfortunate. Have you looked into buying on Amazon and having shipped to you? Not sure if there are duty/tax issues with that, but the shipping does not look to be out of reach, just quickly glancing through their international rates to Latin America. A g27 is $209 USD. Looks like you can find DFGT's just a bit cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000045-G27-Racing-Wheel/dp/B001NT9TK4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404829133&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=logitech DFGT

@mohitraina91 was one of the most recent wheel converters, and it was worth at least one division for him. He actually started in D3, just like you, and qualified for D1 on GT6.

There have been several others over the years, many D2 and even D3 drivers who make it to D1. The guys who are reasonably quick on a pad tend to see a switch go off when they change to a wheel, and they get much faster, very quickly.

@MadMax was another D2 driver with controller. He and I used to fight it out in D2 on GT4, but he's got a bit of pace on me with the wheel, almost all of the time, on almost every combo.

There are many, many others, especially going back to Prologue. These are just guys who are relatively recent converters and still somewhat active, which I thought would give you a nice, relative comparison.

Until last year your suggestions were they way to go. Now taxes have been raised for purchases abroad and there's an extra 20% over the usual exchange rate so that leaves Amazon prices almost as bad a locally. And even then your order might be caught in customs for months before they go through it and decide how much you actually have to pay to free it...
No big deal anyway, I'm 40 years old so getting a wheel is never going to be my biggest issue. I'm opening my own store soon, so probably, by the time I've got some cash available to get a wheel, I won't have any time to use it. A bit like what italians say about fast cars I guess "When you are young enough to drive them, you don't have the cash to buy them; When you have enough cash to buy them, you are too old to drive them"
Ummh so one division at least? wow...

Last edited:
Congratulations to all who made this tough TT very well done.
I did better then I had expected and now know how to tackle T1.
@Nail-27 good job Ned and you won the Handicapped results after the DQ of Dangerzone

No big deal anyway, I'm 40 years old so getting a wheel is never going to be my biggest issue.
Ummh so one division at least? wow...

I was 40 before I even started playing GT3 so you've got plenty of time yet. I just gave away a DF-GT but I've still got my G25. The pedals don't have the housing as I mounted them to the base plate of my rig and I don't have the shifter box but otherwise it works and I was using it up until a month or so ago when I switched to the T500. If you give me your address I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Edited: It's a G25 not G27, sorry for the typo. For the most part they're the same except the G25 has two buttons versus six on the G27.

PS. Congrats Ned ... S A N D B A G G E R :lol:

Last edited:
Serieus i made the overall podium :D

Congratz to all podiums and those reached there goal and specially @mike_gt3 👍

I was hoping to jump a few places with my T3 time. But by experience i know i usually sink a few. altho i had a feeling it was a good one this time. Still i feel i bit bad of my T1. Gonna chase @Mike ghost to see where i specific lose it in T1. I think i know but want to make sure.

Thanks for checking and the compliment (shame it’s only about the T3 :lol: ) Kev @EDK

Thanks @Cats_PJs and @mike_gt3

Jumping in the the DS3 to wheel discussion. You don't necessarily need a wheel to improve, it might help a little. But 90% will comes out of practice practice practice and practice. I started out with a wheel and thought i was freaking fast. Till i qualified in D3B back in the GT5P days (that hurt). Made my way up to D1S in GT6. (but must say in all honesty that with some combo's i suck :lol: )

That's a real nice gesture @Strop to give away your old wheel 👍

EDK
GTP_crowhop
greenflag-gif.152575

You should shift from 4th to 5th while in the air on the main straight, it helps to carry more momentum down the hill. Throttle on point for turn 2 was a touch late. Same with turn 3, just a touch late. It looks like maybe you were trying to use that to avoid braking for turn 4, but using throttle to exit 3, then a touch of brake to get into turn 4 helped this car to rotate. A slightly tighter line in turn 5 would be better. You get close to that dirt on the exit, where you can lose grip, and also risk hitting the tunnel on entry. Your final turn is less aggressive than faster times will be. Further to the left on entry, with a straighter line under braking would be better. It would help you get back on the throttle sooner for more exit speed as well. Nice lap overall, the tips are intended to help you become a better driver.
Thank you for the advice. My goal for the week was to get into the 1:19s and I could have gotten there with more time invested, but I'm still attempting to maintain the relative level of effort I gave in my initial WRS qualifier...which was poor in comparison to what I could do today. As life allows I typically run 3 rounds of practice at an hour-ish each to get to my best submitted time.

Late throttle is my achilles heel. That costs me time in practically every TT we do. When I look at my laps they always seem slow and late, but in the moment it feels frenetic. Those moments when I am neither braking nor accelerating drive me bonkers. I'm better than I was, but still I'm seeing whole seconds I should be gaining over the course of most tracks.

I was 40 before I even started playing GT3 so you've got plenty of time yet. I just gave away a DF-GT but I've still got my G25. The pedals don't have the housing as I mounted them to the base plate of my rig and I don't have the shifter box but otherwise it works and I was using it up until a month or so ago when I switched to the T500. If you give me your address I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Edited: It's a G25 not G27, sorry for the typo. For the most part they're the same except the G25 has two buttons versus six on the G27.

I'm blown away by the generosity of most folk around here. Strop, I can't thank you enough for your offer, it's the kind of gesture that will tell you a lot about someone. So THANK YOU 👍
But I can't help feeling that maybe that G25 might be more deserved elsewhere, as I'm surely not the only one out there who can't afford one. So, how about this? If anyone out there knows a young, talented driver who might benefit from the wheel more than me, and can still afford to pay shippment, I'll be happy (Of course as long as Strop agrees) to see the gear go his way. If we can't find someone that fits the bill, I'll happily abuse Strop's generosity :D
I hope a chaos doesn't come out of this :scared:

I have a shifter we could throw in with it as well.

Back