GTP_WRS Week 25: Official Results

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 77 comments
Thanks to @EDK for checking my replay and hope I can utilise the comments in forthcoming events. Also thanks to @mr_lab_rat for the use of his tune and the excellent "rat race" commentary.
@Mark_S I've been noting your times lately and you're always a second quicker than me so I've used you as a "target". However, this week I was able to turn the tables. I get the drift that you've just swapped to a DFGT wheel, so I guess it's just a learning process going on at moment and pretty soon I'm gonna be chasing your ass again. The wheel is the way to go but sometimes I use the DS3 because of the quick recovery if a slide starts. Still hope I can hang onto your shirt tails in coming weeks and months.

:gtpflag: :cheers: :gtpflag:

I congratulate all the podiums, negative handicaps and people that have their replays commented by @EDK 👍.
That sure is a prize I will continue to pursue although I see it very very far.
SERIALF
greenflag-gif.152575

You seemed tentative and unsure as you approached the kink, it looked like you started to turn in a couple of times and aborted, then finally turned in. Your line and technique going in look pretty darn good, althought I would want to work to be smoother and avoid so much tire smoke. If you would have held lighter trail braking once you started, rather than releasing the brake again, it probably would have kept the car more stable, and allowed you to carry more momentum in. Your line at the hairpin is really quite good.

Again, coming up on the second braking zone, the car is walking around on you some. Your braking here starts too early, costing you time you would have gained with that built up momentum. I think you use the wheel, correct? You want to hold it steady, point the car in a straight line for braking to keep it stable.

In the first part of the T2 complex, you lines look good until you get to the left loop. You try riding the curb for a bit, then come off and drift a bit too far outside, and give too much throttle and start smoking the tires coming up on the very important right turn transition/exit out of T2. A tight line, close to the curb (but not on it) helped with being fast there. You do set up left and your exit looks pretty good.

Your line in the loop should be the shallow V I described in earlier posts. Straight line under hard braking going in, lift and hit a second apex about 2/3 through the loop. Your deepest point should be about halfway across the track, you stayed too tight and tried to follow the loop around. That causes you to drift wide on exit and lose the optimum line.

Chicane, you pointed toward it too early, I liked to aim at the right curb from the 50 marker, which gives you a wider entry opening and a shallower exit turn.

In general, I would say that focusing on getting the car in a straight line for braking, holding one line, braking on time (not too early) are your biggest areas of opportunity to improve. Your lines and throttle on points really look pretty darn good, but accurate braking was really, really important on this combo, and you did not maximize that.

Uau, I've got it! Just a little nudge and you made it. Thanks a lot @EDK, you are a good friend, this is a valuable piece of informations 👍
But you will regret it in one year from now :mischievous:

Seriously, I fully agree with you I have to improve in braking better, normaly less, and gettin better, smoother lines on curbs ("very important right turn transition/exit out of T2", for ex.). On top of that I have two problems that I have to resolve:

One is the wheel - a have a DFGT for 3 months and I should already be used to it, but instead I keep changing the rotation lock settings (900 to 600, then 600 to 400, then back to 900 and so..) This was good for bettering a given combo, but Im gonna use 600 from now on consistently, until I am familiar with it or conclude otherwise.

Other is the tranny: You probably noticed (or not) :embarrassed:, but I still use the auto transmition. Have to change that also.

Well, maybe this can also be useful for someone else. Thanks again, have fun :gtpflag:

One is the wheel - a have a DFGT for 3 months and I should already be used to it, but instead I keep changing the rotation lock settings (900 to 600, then 600 to 400, then back to 900 and so..) This was good for bettering a given combo, but Im gonna use 600 from now on consistently, until I am familiar with it or conclude otherwise.

Just use 900. It's what I use and almost certainly what almost every wheel user on here uses as well.

You are probably trying to get back some of the quick to lock advantage the DS3 has, but just forget what you learned there. If you are struggling with car control, drive mid powered cars on N3 tires and learn how to recover slides. Maybe a stock Honda S2000, something like that.

If you think you don't have enough steering lock quick enough, you are probably trying to go too fast while turning. You really don't need to turn the wheel very much to be fast.

I suspect some of the "nervous" behavior I was seeing from the car coming into braking zones may be due to the quick steering ratio, and resulting higher sensitivity. Just change it back to default. ;)

Other is the tranny: You probably noticed (or not) :embarrassed:, but I still use the auto transmition. Have to change that also.
I think @mr_lab_rat said he was using auto this week also. As long as you had a good gear setup on the car, I don't think it really mattered for this combo. The car liked to be shifted right at redline, and the car was low powered enough while the gears were long enough that a whole bunch of unwanted shifts did not happen.

Where manual becomes more important is when the optimum shift point to stay in the power is above or below redline, or when it's desired for car control, holding a gear longer or short shifting to get the car to do what you want or avoid upsetting it.

I used auto with a wheel when I started in WRS back in week 112 of GT4. I did not change to manual until this combo in week 130, I needed it for car control. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt4-wrs-week-130-jaguar-xj220-lm-race-car-apricot-hill.99087/

I use 670 - 750 on my Fanatec wheel - 700 currently with the Miata

900 is way too much steering for my laziness levels :D

670 works for cars like those crazy 4WD super-powered Audis - race cars sometimes too

Weird because in Grid autosport I use 400 and it doesn't feel hugely different, I guess different games and different kit all behaves a little differently.

I think it might be because my wheel isn't an officially supported wheel?

EDK
I think @mr_lab_rat said he was using auto this week also.

Nope, not me but there are some very fast drivers that use it (mostly on DS3).
Most weeks it doesn't make much difference, some weeks the manual shifting helps sqeezing out all the power or improves car control.

Now here is how much I hate automatics in real life:

1. I declined free company car and used my own.
2. I bought an SUV for my wife but since there was an odd chance I would drive it sometimes ... (she sends me nasty text messages whenever she gets stuck in traffic and her left leg starts cramping up)
3. The car I wanted to buy for myself was nearly impossible to find with manual transmission. So I bought one with a slushbox and spent $2500 on a used 6 speed transmission (swapped it myself).
:)

Last edited:
Nope, not me but there are some very fast drivers that use it (mostly on DS3).
Most weeks it doesn't make much difference, some weeks the manual shifting helps sqeezing out all the power or improves car control.

Now here is how much I hate automatics in real life.
1. I declined free company car and used my own.
2. I bought an SUV for my wife but since there was an odd chance I would drive it sometimes ... (she sends me nasty text messages whenever she gets stuck in traffic and her left leg starts cramping up)
3. The car I wanted to buy for myself was nearly impossible to find with manual transmission. So I bought one with a slushbox and spent $2500 on a used 6 speed transmission (swapped it myself).
:)
Sorry, I guess I projected that one onto you. I did notice that you downshift much later than most other drivers who are using manual. You know you can't blow the engine in a virtual car, right? :sly:

My Challenger is a 6 speed manual, but our daily driver is an auto.

My wife can drive a manual in a pinch, but prefers automatic. We have a commute of about 35 miles and 1 hour, and I prefer the automatic for that grind as well. I absolutely despise driving my Challenger on the commute. Not just because of the manual transmission, but also because of all the near misses with idiot drivers, and the fact that I can never really "stretch its legs".

Most of what I drove growing up was auto, but I did learn to drive a manual by getting thrown into the fire when I was the parts runner for my dad's shop while in high school. He bought a '92 Isuzu 4x4 pickup to use as the shop parts truck, with a 5 speed manual. So one day I came to work and had to just hop in and learn how to deal with a stick while doing my job that involved driving all over Portland all day. Fun! I did also end up with a '78 Celica with a 5 speed manual at one point while in school, so drove some more manual, at a point in time.

After growing up, our main car has always been an automatic due to my wife's preference, but I did have an '80 Scirocco with a 5 speed manual at one point, and my Challenger was my next car with manual. You'd be happy to know I ordered the car from the factory, and the Manual 6 speed was actually a $1,500 UPGRADE option on the sheet. Was not going to have that car in an auto.

EDK
Sorry, I guess I projected that one onto you. I did notice that you downshift much later than most other drivers who are using manual. You know you can't blow the engine in a virtual car, right? :sly:

My Challenger is a 6 speed manual, but our daily driver is an auto.

My wife can drive a manual in a pinch, but prefers automatic. We have a commute of about 35 miles and 1 hour, and I prefer the automatic for that grind as well. I absolutely despise driving my Challenger on the commute. Not just because of the manual transmission, but also because of all the near misses with idiot drivers, and the fact that I can never really "stretch its legs".

Most of what I drove growing up was auto, but I did learn to drive a manual by getting thrown into the fire when I was the parts runner for my dad's shop while in high school. He bought a '92 Isuzu 4x4 pickup to use as the shop parts truck, with a 5 speed manual. So one day I came to work and had to just hop in and learn how to deal with a stick while doing my job that involved driving all over Portland all day. Fun! I did also end up with a '78 Celica with a 5 speed manual at one point while in school, so drove some more manual, at a point in time.

After growing up, our main car has always been an automatic due to my wife's preference, but I did have an '80 Scirocco with a 5 speed manual at one point, and my Challenger was my next car with manual. You'd be happy to know I ordered the car from the factory, and the Manual 6 speed was actually a $1,500 UPGRADE option on the sheet. Was not going to have that car in an auto.
One of the great joys in my life was teaching my girlfriend to drive a manual in a Food Lion parking lot over the course of a week. We'd go after they closed. She was terrified, but it worked out. She married me. Ha.

'96 VW Passat Wagon, Wolfsburg edition VR6. $800 Craigslist beater. Good times.

'96 VW Passat Wagon, Wolfsburg edition VR6. $800 Craigslist beater. Good times.
My Scirocco was purchased from a High school friend, who was the 3rd friend from high school that owned the car AND learned to drive a manual in it. He could not get it running, and was going to sell it to a Junk Yard for $75. I offered to help him get it running, be he decided to go buy a different car, and needed it gone from his apartment lot.

I told him I would pay him the $75 the junkyard was going to give him, and get it off the lot that day. Some jumper cables, a spark plug gapper, and a can of starting fluid later, I was driving off in my $75 car. I ended up having to put a clutch in it, a job I never want to do in a driveway again. But that's the only work I did and drove it for about a year before it started on fire while driving home one day and burned to the ground.

True story, that. :)

EDK
I was going to mention that when I checked your replay, but considering you take proper care of the gearbox in real life (and provide the AV proof),....

I haven't owned a slushbox in over a decade. I also haven't managed to kill a clutch yet, though that's because I'm Corporal Slow (or at least that's what the local constables think :sly:).

Reactions: EDK
@EDK i guess you could say.... you drove the fire out of it! :lol:

Everything I've owned had a manual, then my wife talked me into a 05 F150 supercrew can.. automatic .. ford automatic. :ill:
I bought a 99 5 speed wrangler shortly after. Even my big rigs are manual.. 10, 13, 15 and 18 speeds. I've driven them all. Now I drive an automatic volvo with a 550 hp d15 engine. I still try to clutch it.. y'all wanna talk about leg cramps, drive a 15 speed ir 18 speed through heavy city traffic then get back to me :lol:

@EDK i guess you could say.... you drove the fire out of it! :lol:

Everything I've owned had a manual, then my wife talked me into a 05 F150 supercrew can.. automatic .. ford automatic. :ill:
I bought a 99 5 speed wrangler shortly after. Even my big rigs are manual.. 10, 13, 15 and 18 speeds. I've driven them all. Now I drive an automatic volvo with a 550 hp d15 engine. I still try to clutch it.. y'all wanna talk about leg cramps, drive a 15 speed ir 18 speed through heavy city traffic then get back to me :lol:
You're a trucker. Awesome. My mom is a mother trucker. I've got a couple friends who drive as well. Different lifestyle, but good for them.

Thanks to @EDK for checking my replay and hope I can utilise the comments in forthcoming events. Also thanks to @mr_lab_rat for the use of his tune and the excellent "rat race" commentary.
@Mark_S I've been noting your times lately and you're always a second quicker than me so I've used you as a "target". However, this week I was able to turn the tables. I get the drift that you've just swapped to a DFGT wheel, so I guess it's just a learning process going on at moment and pretty soon I'm gonna be chasing your ass again. The wheel is the way to go but sometimes I use the DS3 because of the quick recovery if a slide starts. Still hope I can hang onto your shirt tails in coming weeks and months.

@mickyevs Thank You for the kind words.
Challenge noted and accepted:) but it may be a couple of months before I am up to my DS3 speeds.

See you on the track.

Mark

Back