[GUIDE] So you want to drive without ABS... (please read OP)

• Thread starter FordMKIVJ5
  • 148 comments
All off. Stock. SH. Wheel. Manual.

GT5 suddenly thrills as much as a real car.

Good guide, though, should be helpful to many. I drive various configurations but the above settings are the ones I use when I want to get this game to simulate the feel of real cars as closely as possible.
Remembering, of course, that driving by the seat of one's pants is only as realistic as the rig on which said butt is resting on.

I never realized you could do such a thing with a projector. That was awesome thanks fill. I think I'm going to have to look into this!!! The Jolly Fat Man is coming!:sly:

Also a nice video Lam. Too bad however that the sounds in iRacing aren't as "perfect" (according to Kaz anyway) as they are in GT5 cause that Vette sounds nothing like a vacuum cleaner:banghead:

Also practice the braking licenses til you achive gold. then give it some more practice. Im racing with ABS 0 (off) with a ds3. Accelerating with X and braking with square, works fine with me tho I still tend to brake a bit early or too late so I will lock up.

Great fun and I will never go back to abs 1 wich I used to use.

Great fun and I will never go back to abs 1 which I used to use.

Likewise. PD screwed up something in ABS simulation. Maybe they did too good system and brake modulation frequency is too high. It more however seems that there is no ABS simulation at all and "ABS" in game uses data straight from friction limits make braking feel "god" like and weight transition too subtle.

Silly me, never before had I thought of changing brake balance... Thanks a lot for your educative posts, both FordMKIVJ5 and amar212. Even though I'm a humble pad user, I can now find huge amounts of fun in driving without ABS.

Also, I'd like to suggest other padders to sacrifice one button you don't use (L1 in my case) in favour of the RA menu. Being able to change brake balance whilst on track is very useful and significantly speeds up the process of learning. My settings are:

L1 - RA on/off
D-pad up - RA option +
D-pad down - RA option -
D-pad left - RA set -
D-pad right - RA set +

Silly me, never before had I thought of changing brake balance... Thanks a lot for your educative posts, both FordMKIVJ5 and amar212. Even though I'm a humble pad user, I can now find huge amounts of fun in driving without ABS.

Also, I'd like to suggest other padders to sacrifice one button you don't use (L1 in my case) in favour of the RA menu. Being able to change brake balance whilst on track is very useful and significantly speeds up the process of learning. My settings are:

L1 - RA on/off
D-pad up - RA option +
D-pad down - RA option -
D-pad left - RA set -
D-pad right - RA set +

👍

Thanks.

Practice room open, no ABS or other aids, comfort soft or less, free run, any car, no PP limit, current track is Daytona road course.

1472 - 6118 - 3830 - 2744 - 1294

Room title : Practice noABS CS - room has been open for an hour or so, please join in if interested to do some practice run online :D

Just got 2:04.813 lap with stock F430 Scuderia on comfort medium :) I love the online physics, the car react to the road surface on whole new level, tire wear on normal is also great, 7 laps with CM tire only losing 10 - 15%.

Tried Ferrari California, lots of grip even with comfort medium, braking distance also a lot shorter than Cizeta on some corners, this car actually has more predictable handling than F430 Scuderia. 2.09 grip loss is now more life like, Cizeta back end loses grip with throttle play and oversteer on corner exit is very controllable, feels like on real street tires :embarrassed:

EDIT : Room is now closed, bye.

Last edited:
Practice room open, no ABS or other aids, comfort soft or less, free run, any car, no PP limit, current track is Daytona road course.

1472 - 6118 - 3830 - 2744 - 1294

Room title : Practice noABS CS - room has been open for an hour or so, please join in if interested to do some practice run online :D

Just got 2:04.813 lap with stock F430 Scuderia on comfort medium :) I love the online physics, the car react to the road surface on whole new level, tire wear on normal is also great, 7 laps with CM tire only losing 10 - 15%.

Had I known about this sooner, you would have found me there. :sly:

Just psent an hours in a room with shuffle race and all aids off (including ABS). I had tried driving with ABS off several times before, but it was all offline and with a clear track. This was the first time I did it online. And oh BOY! This sure was fun!! :D:D

Every race started with a reasonable size grid, but only 4 of use would make the first lap. It was quite entertaining seeing so many locking their brakes so easily.

Since this was my first serious try with ABS off, I think I did pretty good. Kept pumping the brakes instead of just full hammering them down.

Glad you have great times with ABS off Deko, room is still open :D I am driving Cizeta V16T, stock on CM tire, 2:07.xxx average, I can't believe how scary it is to brake from 290km/h on the 1st corner of Daytona Road, the car can be rotated smoothly with throttle play and some trail braking.

I am loving 2.09 even more now, Cizeta is now so enjoyable to drive even on comfort medium.

EDIT : Room closed, see you next time :D

Last edited:
ABS OFF Practice room open

1472-6681-3716-3555-9489

Everyone is welcome! :sly:👍

EDIT: Room now closed. Will do more do this week,, just keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited:
Awesome thread. Add me on for some clean ABS-free racing guys. I'll have more time for it as soon as the Academy Edition Challenge is done 👍.

I wouldn't describe G27's peddles as mushy, they are pretty realistic, they are quite stiff, and it definetly takes some power to put the peddle all the way to the floor.

I run in trackday lobbies with a couple of friends, no aids, and comfort mediums. (recently tried comfort hards.) and it's really fun! Especially with a wheel, you can make so many precise adjustments!

Personally, I run 1:2/2:3 because I brake pretty hard, so if i ran 3:2/2:1 the brake bias at the front would be too high because as I brake for a corner the back-end would rise up, leaving less weight at the rear, meaning more oversteer, thats just my opinion though :lol:

I wouldn't describe G27's peddles as mushy, they are pretty realistic, they are quite stiff, and it definetly takes some power to put the peddle all the way to the floor.

I run in trackday lobbies with a couple of friends, no aids, and comfort mediums. (recently tried comfort hards.) and it's really fun! Especially with a wheel, you can make so many precise adjustments!

Personally, I run 1:2/2:3 because I brake pretty hard, so if i ran 3:2/2:1 the brake bias at the front would be too high because as I brake for a corner the back-end would rise up, leaving less weight at the rear, meaning more oversteer, thats just my opinion though :lol:

G25/27 pedals are pretty mushy, not so much when modded, but they're pretty decent for cheap wheel pedals.

Running more rear bias on brakes when not using ABS creates more oversteer because you'll lock the rear wheels way too easily. Trail braking will pit the car into a slide too easily. :)

Hello, friends!

My name is Vinicius and i´m from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I´ve been playing GT5 for a while now (maybe 3 months) and i use a G27 wheel.

This is one of the best topics i´ve found here so far. This forum is great (really professional). Since I started playing Gran Turismo I convinced myself of trying to do things the hardest way possible - I mean NO assists - in particular NO ABS.

So i learned to play from the very first day without ABS. And I keep struggling a bit with the pedal - it´s funny, but you´re rewarded for you effort. Last night went on Fuji Speedway with the mighty 458 Italia '09 (Rosso Corsa for sure) - by the end of the first lap you´re doing 310, 320 kmph - what about to brake without ABS? But this testimonial has a "pepperized" detail: i was using 6/5 BB. Most of my cars are totally unbalanced like was this Ferrari. You can imagine the suffering.

But now i´ve read everything you got to teach and maybe things will be easier for me driving the Vette ZR1 at Stars and Stripes seasonal - having touble with the Tokyo track.

I hope I can join you eventually in online racing without ABS.

Thanks for your attention and have a nice weekend.

PS: I don´t apologize for the eventual english mistakes (because it´s not my native language) but i´d appreciate any correction.

Nice post Vini. I wouldn't worry about your English, you are more skilled with it than some I've seen that have it as their first language...lol

Great advice on none ABS braking skills. I learnt a lot of them driving on ice IRL in the days before ABS was a standard fitting on road cars.

One point.

Four-wheel drifting even with ABS on 1 or 2 can be induced by a touch of brakes.

FordMKIVJ5
But why would I want to make myself slower?...

Haha nice one. I can't believe so many people who claim to be serious racers want ABS while all the major international racing series prohibit them. Interesting guide, I guess you started it because you noticed the same trend in the forums here.

Since I started playing Gran Turismo I convinced myself of trying to do things the hardest way possible - I mean NO assists - in particular NO ABS.

I share your attitude. I refuse to use aids in any driving game. It makes the game more realistic, challenging, and exciting. If I want ABS that much I can just turn off the PS3 and go drive my real-life car. :lol:

Haha nice one. I can't believe so many people who claim to be serious racers want ABS while all the major international racing series prohibit them. Interesting guide, I guess you started it because you noticed the same trend in the forums here.

So many people don't want to use ABS 0 because they think it makes them slower. :ouch: On a perfect lap, there is little to no difference.

So I thought I'd make this thread as there was an increasing number of people posting about trying no ABS in the "ABS 0 Community, where are you?" thread and thought I'd start this up to help people grasp the basics, and hopefully not be put off after only having just started. :)

We made the front page!: https://www.gtplanet.net/gtplanet-weekly-rewind-60-years-and-still-going-strong/

Thanks to ncrthree for the plug. 👍 :D

You put in a lot of work writing the guide and I was hoping to get it seen by more folks. Certainly has helped me enjoy GT5 much, much more without magic brakes and the fake stability ABS1 allows. I swear after going back to ABS1 on occasion, it feels like SRF is on.

The part of no ABS that threw me off was the default 5/5. It's as if PD had ABS on as their default aid. Without you, Amar and others posting some ABS off BB settings, I'd have never tried it again after attempting it with 5/5 or my usual settings. Also pretty much every tuning garage uses ABS1 BB settings, so I just took it for granted that ABS1 was the most realistic approach.

Now it doesn't take me long to set up a BB that works properly. Some manageable front lock up at low speeds and a comfortable level of pedal travel and I'm good to go. Have taken what I've learned here into F1 2012. Most notably threshold and trail braking.

Thanks for making this thread, it is very helpful. I have not thought of adjusting the LSD. After trying it does open the game to new experiences, and a new form of racing. Thanks again for all the well written information.

Nice post Vini. I wouldn't worry about your English, you are more skilled with it than some I've seen that have it as their first language...lol

Thank you a lot!

I share your attitude. I refuse to use aids in any driving game. It makes the game more realistic, challenging, and exciting. If I want ABS that much I can just turn off the PS3 and go drive my real-life car. :lol:

The point is: if someone out there is able to do it, why wouldn´t I? Sometimes I race the same event 20, 30 times (like happened in Festa Cavallino in Rome circuit), but I do it without aids (by that day I was using the same 458 with 5/5 BB). And its awesome to realize that in the first run you´re 10, 12 secs behind the rabbit - but you keep up trying and sooner or later you´re catching the first car. Of course you need to tune your car more than ever - every change in suspension and/or LSD, BB and transmission are utterly important.

The relationship you develop with your brake in G27 with no ABS is so instense that you can tell if there is a minor change to your pedal. My "pot" was a little bit dirt, so by the end of a long straight i tried to brake and the car didn´t act like a savage, but was pretty calm - it was almost like if ABS was on - I knew there was something wrong.

Well, don´t have to explain this to you guys - only those who plays without ABS know how fun (and challenging) this can be. :sly:

I've been driving various cars on the latest 400pp seasonals on CS tires, with no aids , no ABS , on the T500RS racing wheel, and with BIAS of 3/1, 2/1, it is completely manageable and actually what I love about no ABS, is it MAKES you drive cleaner lines, when approaching turns, therefore ultimately improving laptimes and adding confidence at the wheel.

Scrubbing tires as approaching incorrectly with ABS on @1 is a bad habit many of us got into.

Take the Ferrari F1 2007, with no aids whatsoever on the Nordschleife, no ABS, and see just how smooth it is with no abs needed.(* never downshift then brake in high RPM. brake in current gear, then downshift into lower tamer RPM)

I'm still tempted to leave ABS on for most online races, but I will gladly disable them if everyone is ok with that in the room.

off to play gt5 now. online was flaky yesterday, kept getting DC'd, but all my buddies were driving fine!

oh, and Increase LSD DECEL, (don't leave it at low 5!!!) When driving rear happy cars on deceleration, try Decel 16 and notice how the rear end will suddenly behave. raising rear hight also helps combat decel oversteer.

Last edited:
Last night I decided I'd force myself to really try ABS off for the first time by doing the Aspec 4hr Roadster endurance race. I'd never spent much time with ABS off before, and thus never realized the importance of brake balance. A couple laps of mad braking oversteer into the race and I figured out the problem and decided to fiddle with the brake balance tuning and restart.

Now about an hour into the race and I can say, ABS off sure does make a difference! It adds another element to the driving experience I now realize I've been missing. No more "Just stomp on the pedal at the right time", braking into a corner now takes as much if not more concentration than exiting. It also makes me appreciate the brake balance controller. Granted I've only tried it with a tuned and aero'd MX-5, but I'm confident with the right tuning I could get acceptable non-ABS braking performance with any vehicle. Every other time I've tried ABS off, I'd given up after a few minutes(seconds) because of how absurdly poor the braking performance was compared to ABS on. Now I'm just disappointed with myself for not figuring out sooner that you need to change the brake balance for ABS 0 to be manageable.

Too bad I didn't read this guide yesterday. Oh well, I think I'll be leaving(constantly setting) ABS to 0 for a while now.

Latest Posts

Back