Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
My favorite so far is M-Power's V-Dub Bug, probably. Also liked Cano's Dodge Van, except I wish he kept the roof glass untouched. I don't like the glass roof on the original I have(got two!), but he did such good job on the interior, it would've been cool to expose them more.

R1600's Ghostbusters in the very first post, I don't know what he did, but that thing look so much better than stock it's not even funny! 👍

I wanna see whatever happened to Schwartz' open wheel car, and looking forward to how the At1's 240Z will come out. Looks so promising!

What's all the commotion about this thread dying? This thing has been on the front page since it was made!
Cano - I'm not really going to worry about it dying - if I see it about to slide off the Board, I'll make sure I'll come in with something like this:
100_4175-1.jpg

100_4169-1.jpg

That's what it was. I like the Dodge a lot, but I haven't looked at it in awhile, and forgot that the grill was gold. Grill does look about a million times better compared to the original. 👍

That Wheel swap is against the nature Photonrider, you cannot put away Halibrands for those generic 5-spokes, ¿specially in a Mustang. It would have been way better to just give the centersections of the Mustang’s original wheels a dull or matte gray finish:

413034152_CsCm2-M-2.jpg

Home for Summer, be sure to drop by today or tomorrow, I finally have the pics of the finished Renault 4 furgonnette, it came out pretty cool.

And yes, the entire foundation of the Van was the chrome base; a curious thing: my paint friend saw what I was doing with it (he shot the clear) and liked how it looked, so he got one too and rubbed the gold finish with alcohol, stripping it off but leaving a chrome finish under it. It seems that the gold is a coating applied over chrome.

And yes, the entire foundation of the Van was the chrome base; a curious thing: my paint friend saw what I was doing with it (he shot the clear) and liked how it looked, so he got one too and rubbed the gold finish with alcohol, stripping it off but leaving a chrome finish under it. It seems that the gold is a coating applied over chrome.

I didn't even remember what color the base was. Chrome underneath the gold paint, who would've thought!

Cheers SVX 👍

a6m5, i'm going to try and do a good job with the 240Z, but don't expect anything too spectacular... i mean, just look at what happened to the Mini :lol:, i am looking forward to it though, and i'm happy that you're interested to see how it turns out. 👍 oh, and yeah whatever happened to Schwartz?, i want to see how his open wheeler is coming along too.

Did some progress on the 540K today and yesterday.

After being painted a few days prior:

P1010126.jpg

And then polished with Brasso. Quite pleased with the results:

P1010131.jpg

Painted the grill insert today in Humbrol Aluminum. Hopefully it'll be dry tomorrow so I can take some pictures and finally assemble. :D

That Wheel swap is against the nature Photonrider, you cannot put away Halibrands for those generic 5-spokes, ¿specially in a Mustang. It would have been way better to just give the centersections of the Mustang’s original wheels a dull or matte gray finish:

That's what I have been trying, Cano - I wasn't too focused on the five-spoke look so much as greying or blacking out the amount of 'bling' those wheels had. No way to paint them, extremely difficult due to the deep wheel-well. So I thought I'd do a simple swap - but the wheelbases of the two cars are different - which wouldn't matter under normal circumstances, except that the axles are placed in tiny welded metal boxes. (These are Jada Online Trackstars.) I have to shift the entire base, wheels and all. Just a challenge I took on.:dopey:
Now that you've given me food for thought though, I shall look around for another set of wheels.
Here was a quick cosmetic custom that improved this esk-kay-lah-deh! ;)

100_8516.jpg

^ I know, it's pretty much a dead cert i'm gonna mess it up some way or the other. :lol:
Damn these ham-fisted mit's of mine!

PS, SVX 540k's looking good, can't wait to see the Humbrol aluminium grill (have a small pot of that myself that i'll be using at some point).

PS, SVX 540k's looking good, can't wait to see the Humbrol aluminium grill (have a small pot of that myself that i'll be using at some point).

Cheers mate, I'll try to get a picture tonight or tomorrow.

The 540K looks pretty good after bein' polished. Keep us posted on dat! Also, Photon, take those wated flame tampos off that Cadoo.

Crappy lighting yet again but you kind of get the idea of the paint color.

It's not a rough texture like it looks, just a lot of metallic in the paint. :)

Looks better in person.

DSCN4699.jpg

That metalflake would be big-ass in real life, it would look freaking crazy :lol: looking good bud, keep on it.

Finally got the chance to use a computer. Mine is deceased. :(

I don't even know where to start... I guess first off, clean work on the van, Cano. 👍 The clear coat really makes it pop.

And nice R1600T, it's looking good. Reminds me of the paint on my MR2.

As for myself, I've gotten some stuff done also. I got a friend into customizing and we both bought Scion xB's from Maisto to start off with as a joint project. I tried painting mine, but the can started to fizz on me and wouldn't stop, so I'm going to wait until better weather and try again. Here's the xB.
7ca87217.jpg

Finished the interior for the Beetle. The roof rack didn't work out, so this one's done.
e0ac1451.jpg

And here's sort of a surprise custom. I found this first edition Lexus SC400 at a thrift store with the front and back bumper paint just completely scraped off, so I thought I'd paint it along with my 510. I wanted to repaint it for a better finish. I'm happy with the results.

This was the car. Forgot to take a before pic, sorry.
209.jpg

13595a01.jpg

I'm just going to do the headlights and taillights on this one. Keeping it simple.
414a39c3.jpg

Last edited:
Dude paint the Bug's interior, it SO shines. Also, the Lexus came out pretty well, nice finish. Swap those Datsun wheels and you're done.

Thanks. I'm not sure what wheels to use on the Datsun, though. Any suggestions? And don't say the Studebaker Goodyear Eagles. :P

Back