How long do tyres last?

• Thread starter kamisaya
  • 27 comments
I'm doing endurance events with a friend and need to know how long each tyres will last normally before you have to pit.

Sports soft/medium/hard
Racaing soft/medium/hard

Thanks

I can comment about racing hard and racing soft for the Indy 500 in the Minolta. On racing hard I can do roughly 25 laps before they are toast. Racing softs can go to about 26 or 27 laps but I pit every 25. This is topping out at 240mph on the straights and NEVER EVER going below 200 mph except to pit.

I can comment about racing hard and racing soft for the Indy 500 in the Minolta. On racing hard I can do roughly 25 laps before they are toast. Racing softs can go to about 26 or 27 laps but I pit every 25. This is topping out at 240mph on the straights and NEVER EVER going below 200 mph except to pit.

So the softer compound is lasting longer? Does the car slide around alot on the Hard compound causing unwanted wear?

I just ask because, typically, the harder compound will last longer while offering less grip than the softer alternative.

On Grand Valley

Super GT NSX 08

Racing Hards

Longest i could make them last was 20 laps, but if you're pushing the whole stint probably 12-15laps

So the softer compound is lasting longer? Does the car slide around alot on the Hard compound causing unwanted wear?

I just ask because, typically, the harder compound will last longer while offering less grip than the softer alternative.

Yeah the harder compound should last longer and usually does but for my set up on Indy I get about the same life out of both of them so I use the racing soft as they give me a faster lap time.

Yeah the harder compound should last longer and usually does but for my set up on Indy I get about the same life out of both of them so I use the racing soft as they give me a faster lap time.

The harder compounds could show its merits in the 24hr enduro.

I think most tires will last long enough at least on the early endurance races as you are faster with tires that wear quicker so you have time to pit and change tires the fuel takes the most time in the pits so softer tires and a car that gets good fuel economy will do well provided it is fast enough to win the race.

Also it depends on how aggresively you drive... I can easily make soft racing tyres last longer than hards on almost any given course, it really depends if you take the corners with a reasonable speed, or if you take them 6-10 mph to quickly forcing the tyres to squeal in the corners...

I hope you know where im going with this 👍

Also it depends on how aggresively you drive... I can easily make soft racing tyres last longer than hards on almost any given course, it really depends if you take the corners with a reasonable speed, or if you take them 6-10 mph to quickly forcing the tyres to squeal in the corners...

I hope you know where im going with this 👍

That's exactly what I make sure I try to do: not let the tires squeal while turning. Helps preserve them a bit longer.

I've just done the Grand Valley endurance race in a stock R34 Skyline and whilst I could make hard sports tyres last longer than soft tyres the difference in lap time was something like 5 seconds a lap better on soft. That's comfortably a pit stop advantage and then some, so it make no sense using hard tyres. I don't know about the medium tyres though, I didn't have any of them to try.

Tyres can last a while, but they start to lose grip by the time they are hot and have more than 10% wear

Video I made of my online race yesterday at Laguna Seca.
Medium racing tyres used here, the tyres were cold on first lap and felt really different. By the 5th lap my front tyres were starting to go off, and you can see on the tyre meter, they were much warmer than the rears and already have about 10% wear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lrZGAla6A

I figure Racing Hards might last till 8-10 laps here before you can notice grip loss. So it does add to the strategy and how you want to drive.
Go slower to preserve the tyres for the long haul, or push hard and hope you can keep it together

one more thing..can we change the fuel load at the start of the race?

Fuel does not have weight in GT5. An empty car is as fast as a completely filled up car.

The more important question: What happens, if you run out of fuel?

Nope full tank... Why would you want less. I don't know yet if different cars carry more fuel or not yet..

On the Grand Valley 300 with Racing Softs the gauge implied a life of about 18 laps. The handling however, seemed to have gone off after half that distance for some reason.

if by last you guys mean tyre totally wears out, then its around 18 I tested earlier today. But performance wise I agree with the guy earlier, it's half the distance.

Well there is a steeper grip drop off with Soft tires. As the tires wear you'll notice more slipping and your lap times begin to drop steadily.

Racing a NASCAR stock car around Daytona on racing hard tyres, I lasted about 20 laps before the car started getting a little tail happy thanks to the right rear being worn down to about 25% left. If you want to know how long the fuel lasts, it lasts EXACTLY 39 laps, which led to hilarity when everyone ran out of fuel except for me in some 40 lap online Daytona races I did.

Metal tires would have absolutely no grip on Concrete.

Doing the Indy 500, I took my Formula GT. Racing: Mediums on the front and Racing: Hards on the back let my fuel run out before my tires did.

If you're running a car that's going to slaughter the field anyways, there's no reason not to run Racing: Softs. The only reason I didn't with my Formula GT was because it wasn't going to need to brake regardless, so I might as well ensure the tires are going to last. I ended up pitting about every 34 laps at first, but my mileage eventually got to around 38 laps as the engine started losing power.

Do tire colors become eventually red?

Well I've had them go red and stay pinkish for a few minutes when drifting and doing tons of burnouts, but they eventually cool back down to a white'ish colour

If they're red the tyres will smoke

Back