How much damage do you do to your car if you drive it at full throttle

• Thread starter oohhh yeah
  • 26 comments
oohhh8yeah
If you frequently drive it at full throttle and/or take it up to redline after it's been properly warmed up? When does it start to become dangerous, when the engine might blow? The only way it can blow is if it gets too hot, so if I keep my eyes on the temp then it will be fine right? People always yell at me saying I'm breaking the car...but I'm sure it can't do that much damage?

1. If your driving full throttle its fine it damages the engine if you redline alot.

2. Where are you doing this?

3. Wrong section

If you frequently drive it at full throttle and/or take it up to redline after it's been properly warmed up? When does it start to become dangerous, when the engine might blow? The only way it can blow is if it gets too hot, so if I keep my eyes on the temp then it will be fine right? People always yell at me saying I'm breaking the car...but I'm sure it can't do that much damage?

Engines don't explode or overrev in this game. It is however, wanted in an update.

EDIT: Oh wow I thought I was in the GT5 section.

That depends on how high you rev it. I had an old Ford overrev and shot a rod through the top of the block and melt everything else into little beads that landed in the oil pan.

Last edited:
It would depend on the car, but any car I ever had didn't blow up, or have any problems with me constantly revving it unnecessarily high. I had a nissan skyline that had no rev limiter and I revved that off the clock many times while drifting it. It must have seen close to 11,000 rpm many times.
But yeah keep an eye on the temp. Even though I did keep racing a car around a track while over heating and kept going until the car wouldn't go any more, I then repaired the burst coolant hose, filled it with water and off I went again as if nothing happened.

Last edited:
1. If your driving full throttle its fine it damages the engine if you redline alot.

2. Where are you doing this?

3. Wrong section
So it damages the engine from actually hitting the rev limiter, or just from being at high revs near the limiter? I'm doing this for example merging onto the highway I will do some spirited acceleration.
Engines don't explode or overrev in this game. It is however, wanted in an update.

EDIT: Oh wow I thought I was in the GT5 section.

That depends on how high you rev it. I had an old Ford overrev and shot a rod through the top of the block and melt everything else into little beads that landed in the oil pan.
So for cars with a rev limiter, you can be bouncing off it all day and if you keep your eyes on the temp then it will be fine right?
It would depend on the car, but any car I ever had didn't blow up, or have any problems with me constantly revving it unnecessarily high. I had a nissan skyline that had no rev limiter and I revved that off the clock many times while drifting it. It must have seen close to 11,000 rpm many times.
But yeah keep an eye on the temp. Even though I did keep racing a car around a track while over heating and kept going until the car wouldn't go any more, I then repaired the burst coolant hose, filled it with water and off I went again as if nothing happened.
So, if the temp gauge doesn't go over what it is normally, then there is no chance of the engine blowing, right?

Hitting the redline wont hurt if you shift as soon as you do if you keep it there then you will damage the car.

So it damages the engine from actually hitting the rev limiter, or just from being at high revs near the limiter? I'm doing this for example merging onto the highway I will do some spirited acceleration.

So for cars with a rev limiter, you can be bouncing off it all day and if you keep your eyes on the temp then it will be fine right?

So, if the temp gauge doesn't go over what it is normally, then there is no chance of the engine blowing, right?

Well I wouldn't say no chance as it really does depend on a lot of factors, but I wouldn't really worry about revving an engine myself, as nothing bad ever came from it for me. I've had cars bouncing off the limiter for long periods, doing donuts and only stopping when the temp gets high. Everything you do to drive a car damages the engine, from starting it up to idling in traffic, revving the engine into the red line causes more damage, but nobody can tell you you'll definitely blow up your engine from revving it high, unless it's some engine that is known to blow up from revving high, like a rover V8.

Also going along at 60mph and putting it into first is no guarantee you'll blow up an engine either, as I've done something similar many times, without blowing up engines.

What car are you driving? If you're trying to accelerate as fast as possible to merge, revving the engine into the red line is usually not the fastest way, it's different for every car where the best place to change gear is.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't say no chance as it really does depend on a lot of factors, but I wouldn't really worry about revving an engine myself, as nothing bad ever came from it for me. I've had cars bouncing off the limiter for long periods, doing donuts and only stopping when the temp gets high. Everything you do to drive a car damages the engine, from starting it up to idling in traffic, revving the engine into the red line causes more damage, but nobody can tell you you'll definitely blow up your engine from revving it high, unless it's some engine that is known to blow up from revving high, like a rover V8.

Also going along at 60mph and putting it into first is no guarantee you'll blow up an engine either, as I've done something similar many times, without blowing up engines.

What car are you driving? If you're trying to accelerate as fast as possible to merge, revving the engine into the red line is usually not the fastest way, it's different for every car where the best place to change gear is.
Oh, I meant under and up to the redline, not over it. The only way you'll go over it is if you downshift to a gear too low. You can't go over it by accelerating.

I have multiple cars...Corolla, drive trucks, and an STi.

Oh, I meant under and up to the redline, not over it. The only way you'll go over it is if you downshift to a gear too low. You can't go over it by accelerating.

I have multiple cars...Corolla, drive trucks, and an STi.

Lol well the corolla should be no problem, as it's mostly those that I've driven while trying to destroy and they don't give up. mainly the AE90/100 series, I can't vouch for newer ones. I don't think there's much point in revving the sti that high as it's probably finished making power by about 7,000 rpm.

The other side is, my friend had an Alfa romeo 155 and it broke the crank while parking it. There's no concrete answer, you could rev your cars bouncing off the limiter and never have a problem, but you could just have bad luck and blow it up, even when not revving it high constantly, it all depends on the cars history and how well it's maintained.

I personally would never worry about revving a car high into the redline, when the moment calls for it.

Last edited:
Lol well the corolla should be no problem, as it's mostly those that I've driven while trying to destroy and they don't give up. mainly the AE90/100 series, I can't vouch for newer ones. I don't think there's much point in revving the sti that high as it's probably finished making power by about 7,000 rpm.

The other side is, my friend had an Alfa romeo 155 and it broke the crank while parking it. There's no concrete answer, you could rev your cars bouncing off the limiter and never have a problem, but you could just have bad luck and blow it up, even when not revving it high constantly, it all depends on the cars history and how well it's maintained.

I personally would never worry about revving a car high into the redline, when the moment calls for it.
Right. Thanks for the help. Sti's rev limiter is 6700 anyways.

Also, The rev limiter is there to protect the engine. Why do people say hitting it is so bad?

Right. Thanks for the help. Sti's rev limiter is 6700 anyways.

Also, The rev limiter is there to protect the engine. Why do people say hitting it is so bad?

People say it's bad because relatively it is bad, compared to not revving the engine to the limiter, but it's not as bad as people think on many engines. It's definitely no guarantee it'll blow up from revving that high intermittently.

Any STI I ever drove, had the limiter after 8,000rpm as far as I remember.

If you have a limiter on it and watch the tempature gauge you should be fine as long as you are all tuned up and nothing is out of the ordinary. I didn't have a limiter on the Ford sooo that let to my situation.

Maintenance needs to be adjusted accordingly. In some cases you can wear out other parts of the car. Don't hit the redline every time you get in your car. Maybe a few times a week. Here's an interesting way the car can break from hard driving:

Last edited:
People say it's bad because relatively it is bad, compared to not revving the engine to the limiter, but it's not as bad as people think on many engines. It's definitely no guarantee it'll blow up from revving that high intermittently.

Any STI I ever drove, had the limiter after 8,000rpm as far as I remember.

8000 rpm STI's are JDM models. North American ones use a 2.5L turbocharged engine with 6700rpm rev limiter. JDM models have a 2.0L twin scroll turbocharger, along with suspension upgrades and a load of other things.

It may cause a little more wear than under normal driving conditions, and lower fuel economy.. But no real harm should be done, like others have said.

8000 rpm STI's are JDM models. North American ones use a 2.5L turbocharged engine with 6700rpm rev limiter. JDM models have a 2.0L twin scroll turbocharger, along with suspension upgrades and a load of other things.

Ah I see, it doesn't say where you're from, I was thinking it might be a US model or something. I've only driven JDM models.

I never understood this then, why is drag racing so much harder than regular racing on cars? Is it that you are WOT from a dead stop, which is more difficult on a car than doing the same thing exiting a corner?

Whats harder to move? An object in motion or an object that still? That's the simplest way to think about it imo.

SpartanG
I never understood this then, why is drag racing so much harder than regular racing on cars? Is it that you are WOT from a dead stop, which is more difficult on a car than doing the same thing exiting a corner?

Drag racing doesn't always mean its harder on things. A factory/stock car with an automatic and street tires really isn't that hard on it. Now, this is considering nothing is out of sorts with the car before you get to the dragstrip. On the other hand, its when you start increasing power and grip is when things start to break at the track.

You never know when a motor will go. Well, unless it already has a nasty tap or ping. Many things can break and at any point. Depends on maintenance and initial build quality of the motor itself.

Dragstrips are also very sticky...much more than regular asphalt. If you have a lot of power and the tires don't spin, or the clutch doesn't slip, then that twisting force goes somewhere much more expensive.

Tell that to all the whiners who think the Nissan GT-R has a gearbox of glass... :lol:

Sometimes it's much more fun to launch a low-powered car with absolutely no grip, because you're reasonably sure that nothing is going to break as long as you're not an idiot and slide the clutch all through the first three gears...

When you have an engine spinning at some 3000-5000 rpm (torque-braked on an automatic with a high-stall converter or primed for a burn-out with the clutch in on a manual) suddenly slammed into a gearbox travelling at exactly 0 rpm, what makes you think they'll be happy to see each other?

-

Revving to the redline is not dangerous in itself. Most modern cars have rev limiters set loooong before the engine is spinning too fast for the valvetrain to keep up. But doing it continuously will cause a lot of additional wear to the engine oil and components that needs to be compensated with earlier oil changes.

This is what I've heard from a unversity professor who directed the formula SAE program.

Holding an engine at redline is not especialy harmful to the engine. Yes piston speeds are high, but generally there isn't a huge load on the engine.

However, the most stress is closing the throttle plate at redline. The rapid deceleration of the pistons (not to mention the huge vacuum load after the throttle is closed) puts a huge load on the connecting rods. Apparently, this causes a lot of engine failures that are generally associated with high revs.

In a rotary, high RPMs can also be quite dangerous. Given that rotors often weigh around 10lbs and are moving quite fast it puts a ton of load due to centrifugal force on the housings and stationary gear. Also flywheels can fail from spinning so hard. Result:

Scatter shields are advisable! :)

Fortunately, front-wheel drive cars have the engine sideways. So if you have a nasty, "super-light-you" shaved flywheel, when it fails, it goes straight forward, upward and backward instead of into the crowd.

Of course, since the gearbox is almost always in line with the driver's crotch...

Back