How to: Have some fun with offline racing

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 89 comments
After I'd say, 10 laps, things start getting more interesting, the AI seem to get much more aggressive. Blocking in the straights, even fighting for position between themselves and making mistakes as a result. They hang the arse out more aswell.

I've had many AI hitting the wall on the 2nd of the triple left hander at bathurst. Even caught the 2 R8 Lms rabbits at the chase and one of them braked too late and ended up punting both of them into the gravel at the chicane!

Never seen anything like it, except for during Redbull races at apricot and the S races with tyre wear.

They will still brake in odd places, and take awful lines, but as I say, it's the best gt6 AI has to offer.

Interesting you mention that. I've just watched the replay of my session this morning to see other cars lap times and how they behave. The race was on Autumn Ring and the rabbit cars were the Mercedes-Benz SLS and Lamborghini Countach. However for the first part of the race they didn't try to overtake the other cars and were lapping at around 1:38-1:42. I couldn't understand how the Lambo couldn't get past a Nissan Silvia and Mitsubishi Evo when I was racing. Then after quite a while both the rabbit cars started lapping much faster (around 1:31-1:33) which was faster than me in my 450pp detuned M3 on Comfort Mediums. I don't know what triggered it but they kept at that pace moving away from me. It was around 14:00 track time when they started putting in lap times and they continued until I quit after about 30 laps. Very peculiar.

Interesting you mention that. I've just watched the replay of my session this morning to see other cars lap times. The race was on Autumn Ring and the rabbit cars were the Mercedes-Benz SLS and Lamborghini Countach. However for the first part of the race they didn't try to overtake the other cars and were lapping at around 1:38-1:42. I couldn't understand how the Lambo couldn't get past a Nissan Silvia and Mitsubishi Evo when I was racing. Then after quite a while both those cars started lapping much faster (around 1:31-1:33) which was faster than me in my 450pp detuned M3 on Comfort Mediums. I don't know what triggered it but they kept at that pace moving away from me. It was around 14:00 track time when they started putting in lap times and they continued until I quit after about 30 laps. Very peculiar.
This is what I'm getting at.

The AI get confused and just bolt at full pace after a while.

Setting grip reduction to real makes things interesting when they drop a wheel, I've had the same car lose it on every lap at the corner before the long straight on the Nordschleife, because he dives into the corner too hot and puts a back wheel in the grass, causing a big smokey slide/spin. He did this after about 4 laps then every lap for the next 6 laps. He was one of two main rabbits, and they were battling between eachother whilst still maintaining a good pace.

I'm glad you have seen what I mean.

It is worth dropping out and coming back in to re shuffle the opposition if they truely are running slowly after 15 mins or so.

They seem to get more agitated the more you block them to bunch the pack, then fly off at the earliest opportunity when I move over to drop back.

The only time I have been able to follow the AI at full pace without them brake checking me, is in these circumstances, after about 15 minutes of bunching and chasing, then having to seriously hunt down that rabbit, and stick to his bumper, looking for an opportunity to dive.

Last edited:
That's the sort of thing I had been doing for a long time on GT1-6, especially when the secret menu was discovered in GT5.

My only problem with it was that even if you slowed the rabbit(s) down and shuffled them into the middle of the pack, after a few corners, 1-2, sometimes 3 cars would become the new rabbits and leave the other cars behind, even in one make races. From what I've tried in GT6, the same still happens, the game always wants a rabbit or two at the front who pull away, often accelerating much faster than their car should be capable of just to achieve that gap.

I agree though, you can get get 12-14 cars to race very closely, I saved many replays in GT5 doing this with hand picked AI cars.
You may want to set infinity laps, and decide when to stop, i.e. after 15 laps you can make your own immaginary chaquered flag.. pushing the start button.

Man vs. Poliphony Nosense
Episode 6.

Thanks for the tip !!
I never played arcade mode races in GT5. I used to play in shuffle races online, but now in GT6 they're gone :(

I've tryed this and is really good. Played in Mount Panorama, but the rabbit car (LFA) is too fast for my Hyundai genesis coupe on the straights. I moved to Spa (one of my favourite tracks) and is working better. I set weather/ time on and the thing got hard when the rain started and the track was 100% wet.

Is there any option to set on tyre and fuel wear ??? I didn't see any :(. It would be even better with tyre/fuel wear.

As you say, the point is always be clean. Slowing down sometimes when there is no gap to pass (two cars side by side in front of you)

Thanks for the tip !!
I never played arcade mode races in GT5. I used to play in shuffle races online, but now in GT6 they're gone :(

I've tryed this and is really good. Played in Mount Panorama, but the rabbit car (LFA) is too fast for my Hyundai genesis coupe on the straights. I moved to Spa (one of my favourite tracks) and is working better. I set weather/ time on and the thing got hard when the rain started and the track was 100% wet.

Is there any option to set on tyre and fuel wear ??? I didn't see any :(. It would be even better with tyre/fuel wear.

As you say, the point is always be clean. Slowing down sometimes when there is no gap to pass (two cars side by side in front of you)
Nope, no current options for fuel and tyre wear.

One thing I haven't tested, can you pit and change tyres in an arcade race?

Nope, no current options for fuel and tyre wear.

One thing I haven't tested, can you pit and change tyres in an arcade race?

No, you can't. I just tested this. No option, there is no pit crew neither. The car just goes by and leaves the pit.

No, you can't. I just tested this. No option, there is no pit crew neither. The car just goes by and leaves the pit.
I thought this would be the case, it would probably turn on when you turn on tyre wear, if that was an option.

I was just thinking about rain tyres etc.

I'm so excited to try this next time I play, I haven't played online at all yet. I just prefer to sit down and drive something rather than fussing with lobbies and load times. Even though I've found a lot to do offline, this sounds way more exciting than solo time trials. Thanks for posting this!

Been having a go at this, and sometimes you really do get some brilliant match ups. It very much depends on the track though, on some tracks the AI path has major faults that makes them annoyingly uncompetitive.

I have found Bathurst to be one of the very best tracks for close racing with AI. They can really do a decent pace there.

@FussyFez: Nice one! I'll be giving this a go I think, sounds brill and Bathurst is a fav.

The clean driving idea is excellent - in fact I think PD should add an extra (platinum?) star in career mode for completing an event without touching another car and staying on the track, it sounds like a good challenge. And maybe another one for a tyre compound drop :)

They seem to be ninja adjusting the base AI difficulty in some events, probably dependent on the player completion metrics for that event. Personally I'm hoping that we'll just get access to that AI difficulty slider in career mode, I'd quite like to re-do the lower pp events on the hardest difficulty with no rubber-banding, I felt like I missed out on some exciting races with interesting cars early in the career mode.

Maybe they could give you special access after completing the S events?

Anyway thanks for the tip, I love this site for gem threads/posts like yours :)

@FussyFez: Nice one! I'll be giving this a go I think, sounds brill and Bathurst is a fav.

The clean driving idea is excellent - in fact I think PD should add an extra (platinum?) star in career mode for completing an event without touching another car and staying on the track, it sounds like a good challenge. And maybe another one for a tyre compound drop :)

They seem to be ninja adjusting the base AI difficulty in some events, probably dependent on the player completion metrics for that event. Personally I'm hoping that we'll just get access to that AI difficulty slider in career mode, I'd quite like to re-do the lower pp events on the hardest difficulty with no rubber-banding, I felt like I missed out on some exciting races with interesting cars early in the career mode.

Maybe they could give you special access after completing the S events?

Anyway thanks for the tip, I love this site for gem threads/posts like yours :)
Glad to be of service :D

I'm the 0.001% that's still on 1.04 i'm afraid.
Yea, I was asking because I am on 1.04 as well with no internet at the moment, and was wondering if it was a change in A.I. between the update. Whenever there is a update I take my playstation over my grandmothers to update and just hav'nt did it yet, and to projectwhat i think there might be more people than you might think with no internet, but has to go over a friends house or something to update FYI.

Yea, I was asking because I am on 1.04 as well with no internet at the moment, and was wondering if it was a change in A.I. between the update. Whenever there is a update I take my playstation over my grandmothers to update and just hav'nt did it yet, and to projectwhat i think there might be more people than you might think with no internet, but has to go over a friends house or something to update FYI.
I'm in the same boat mate, so you should get the same experience.

I don't think there has been any confirmed AI change in 1.05.

Im planning on updating tomorrow.

There were no noticeable changes in the AI. All changes in 1.05 are here

I'm in the same boat mate, so you should get the same experience.

I don't think there has been any confirmed AI change in 1.05.

Im planning on updating tomorrow.
Ok thanks, I will give this a go, never tried infinite laps, kind of like a offline trackday.

When talking about offline races, I think that GT5 is superior because of the secret menu.
When I do play GT offline, it is GT5.
If you pick up road cars with similar PP, with the aggressive on 10, and pick up the right tires, things get cool. I actually had an 1 hour and 30 minutes race, with Historic LeMans Cars at La Sarthe 2009 (Ford Mark, Ferrari 330, Jaguar XJR), and I started at 16 and ended 6, and only about 10% of the race I did alone.Instead of passing the cars easily like they were nothing, you get some close racing. As I read somewhere, "it doesnt even look that it is the same AI that it was before".

When I said the right tires, you have to compare your skills vs AI skills. I would recommend to get a shot on this for those who never tried. For starters, here it is simple "formula" for a first race: Select the 4 WRC 2008 cars as rivals (Citroen C4 WRC 2008, Subaru Impreza WRC 2008, Suzuki SX4 WRC 2008 and Ford Focus WRC 2008), choose for you one of these cars. First, keep the stock tires. Do the setup you want and go to the track - at this time, it has to be a not the generated tracks - and race just the 1st lap. Do not pass anyone on the 1st curve, keep your position and start the passing, or the passes trying at 2nd curve. After the 1st lap, if you had pass more than 3 cars, then return to the setup sheet and put 200 KG (maximum extra weight), take the weight position you want and try again. If you still pass more than 3 cars, take the tire right above the stock tires (in WRC 2008, the stock tire is sports:medium, so pick up the sports:Hard). If you still pass more than 3 cars on the 1st lap, try 2 tires above (in WRC 2008, that means Comfort: Soft). If you still pass more than 3 cars, try Comfort: Medium. If you still pass more than 3 with Comfort Medium, congratulations, you are close to be the new Vettel (give up, you are too fast).

After you get it done, even if you dont like much the WRC 2008 cars, you will see how different and closer the race come. With other cars, it works on the same way: For road cars, for example, you pick up the ones with similar PP, and choose worse tires and/or get the extra weight. If you notice a car that is slowing down everyone on the grid, which is common, take it out. For racing cars, pick up a category or a PP and do the same as you did on the WRC 08 cars. Notice that you must know the stock tires of the cars (which are the ones that the AI uses). Pay attention to the RMs: They got the road car stock tires, so it is difficult to combine RMs with Race Cars.

A last thing: If you select the cars really wisely, there will be no rabbit to chase. The Historic LeMans Cars at La Sarthe, the rabbits dont appear most of times.

When talking about offline races, I think that GT5 is superior because of the secret menu.
When I do play GT offline, it is GT5.
If you pick up road cars with similar PP, with the aggressive on 10, and pick up the right tires, things get cool. I actually had an 1 hour and 30 minutes race, with Historic LeMans Cars at La Sarthe 2009 (Ford Mark, Ferrari 330, Jaguar XJR), and I started at 16 and ended 6, and only about 10% of the race I did alone.Instead of passing the cars easily like they were nothing, you get some close racing. As I read somewhere, "it doesnt even look that it is the same AI that it was before".

When I said the right tires, you have to compare your skills vs AI skills. I would recommend to get a shot on this for those who never tried. For starters, here it is simple "formula" for a first race: Select the 4 WRC 2008 cars as rivals (Citroen C4 WRC 2008, Subaru Impreza WRC 2008, Suzuki SX4 WRC 2008 and Ford Focus WRC 2008), choose for you one of these cars. First, keep the stock tires. Do the setup you want and go to the track - at this time, it has to be a not the generated tracks - and race just the 1st lap. Do not pass anyone on the 1st curve, keep your position and start the passing, or the passes trying at 2nd curve. After the 1st lap, if you had pass more than 3 cars, then return to the setup sheet and put 200 KG (maximum extra weight), take the weight position you want and try again. If you still pass more than 3 cars, take the tire right above the stock tires (in WRC 2008, the stock tire is sports:medium, so pick up the sports:Hard). If you still pass more than 3 cars on the 1st lap, try 2 tires above (in WRC 2008, that means Comfort: Soft). If you still pass more than 3 cars, try Comfort: Medium. If you still pass more than 3 with Comfort Medium, congratulations, you are close to be the new Vettel (give up, you are too fast).

After you get it done, even if you dont like much the WRC 2008 cars, you will see how different and closer the race come. With other cars, it works on the same way: For road cars, for example, you pick up the ones with similar PP, and choose worse tires and/or get the extra weight. If you notice a car that is slowing down everyone on the grid, which is common, take it out. For racing cars, pick up a category or a PP and do the same as you did on the WRC 08 cars. Notice that you must know the stock tires of the cars (which are the ones that the AI uses). Pay attention to the RMs: They got the road car stock tires, so it is difficult to combine RMs with Race Cars.

A last thing: If you select the cars really wisely, there will be no rabbit to chase. The Historic LeMans Cars at La Sarthe, the rabbits dont appear most of times.
I never actually used the secret menu, so I missed out on all this sort of stuff.

Sounds great fun though!

I do miss the proper endurance events from gt5.

Im hoping they will make a return when B-spec drops, and hopefully that will be gt4 style.

Fingers crossed!

I have been having fun with the S licence races, and have been finding them a challenge, esp with a car that needs a pit stop. Tried the 10 laps of Silverstone with the TVR S6 Racer, and came 5rd, tried with the S12, but needed 2 pits stops, re-tried with the S6 twice and won the 2nd time by a few seconds, best lap was 7 seconds faster the 1st time round, but I did do a oil change and set down-force to minimum.

I enjoy the s races, but they're too short for my liking. They can be challenging though, with a good car choice, no doubt.

DBM
I have been having fun with the S licence races, and have been finding them a challenge, esp with a car that needs a pit stop. Tried the 10 laps of Silverstone with the TVR S6 Racer, and came 5rd, tried with the S12, but needed 2 pits stops, re-tried with the S6 twice and won the 2nd time by a few seconds, best lap was 7 seconds faster the 1st time round, but I did do a oil change and set down-force to minimum.

I enjoy the s races, but they're too short for my liking. They can be challenging though, with a good car choice, no doubt.

True, I think they should leave them as is, and add longer endurance races as an extra section, than change them, A lot of European Club sport races are 20mins so are quite realistic for this. apart from no 20 minute race would ever have a pit stop. I guess they have put a x 5 on the tire ware and fuel usage. as most club sport race cars will use approx 1 litre per minute. and race slick will last at least 100 miles. not 20.

DBM
True, I think they should leave them as is, and add longer endurance races as an extra section, than change them, A lot of European Club sport races are 20mins so are quite realistic for this. apart from no 20 minute race would ever have a pit stop. I guess they have put a x 5 on the tire ware and fuel usage. as most club sport race cars will use approx 1 litre per minute. and race slick will last at least 100 miles. not 20.
I agree completely.

I'm hoping that B-spec brings proper endurance races, and that it's gt4 style B-spec, where you can hit start and swap between Aspec and B-spec mid race. These should have realistic fuel and tyre wear ideally.

The infinity lap count works great! Arcade is where I spend the most time. This rids the AI of the annoying waiting up due to the lap count. I wait in last place for the first lap then get going. Spreads out the field initially.

I had a great run at Ascari using an 06 S2K bone stock on CM's no aids. Caught up to a FD RX7 then we were both behind a S15 Silvia. They battled for a good 20 minutes while I waited for a clean pass opportunity. Ended up driving for 45 minutes before I realized it.

Tried some other combos with street cars on Comforts. I haven't won a race yet though! Gallardo on CS tires at Bathurst is stupid fun!

Back