How to: Have some fun with offline racing

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 89 comments
I've posted this a couple of times in other threads, but I thought it might be useful to some who haven't seen my previous posts.

I am restricted to offline racing due to a lack of home internet. Because of this, I am forced to find some enjoyment on my own.

I spend alot of time drifting and hotlapping, but when I want some fun racing, I have found a little trick.

Step 1: set arcade AI temperament (aggressiveness) to 10 in the main options menu (start button at main GT screen)

Step 2: pick one of your favorite cars, I tend to go for a super GT or GT3 car.

Step 3: go to arcade race, and choose your favourite track, Bathurst or the Nordschleife 9 times out of 10 for me.

Step 4: set professional AI and laps to infinite.

Step 5: turn off all aids and set grip reduction to real, then make sure you run on the correct tyres (RH for race cars etc but drop a compound if your still finding it too easy/boring)

Step 6: start the race, fight to the front being completely clean. Once at the front, slow down the rabbit, and bunch the pack.

Step 7: drop to the back of the pack immediately, then fight to the front again, completely cleanly

Rinse and repeat.

Now, you will never win the race, as it never ends, but this also means the AI don't slow down on the last lap.

I have had some truely epic battles, with the whole pack 2-3 abrest down conrod straight.

Some of you might not think this sounds like much fun, but the AI manage a seriously respectable pace when forced into these circumstances, and for someone bound to offline, it's the best racing I have had on GT6.

Its the forcing yourself to be completely clean that creates the real challenge.

Have fun!

I love the idea ... will try tonight when I get home ... 👍

Tries this out for 50 minutes in the nurburgring only to come across terrible rain in the night with grip reduction on real. Oh, and having sport hard tyres on. :)

I was having a particularly bad day yesterday and gave this a shot last night....LOVED IT. GT3 class at Le Mans. Had a blast running through 2 day-night transitions before calling it quits. I had the wrong gearing and couldn't quite keep up down the Mulsanne, but it was fun nonetheless.

I honor your idea, and if you like it and it works for you it is great. But the AI is a real downside in this game! The braking points and the lines they choose are somewhere no one can explain. It is not AI to me, just running roadblocks you need to overtake. Sorry to spoil the fun in here, but I do not want to try to find a somewhat way to have interesting races with the AI, I want AI where you have the feeling they race you and think of winning the race and react to situations that happen o nthe track. They ignore you, running side by side, they go for their programmed line, unless you have already passed them for example. I want close clean racing, but with this AI it is just not possible. I want a battle for position for more than 1 turn/braking point.
AI in GT is useless. Sorry, I really love the GT series, but for something like racing against AI it is useless.

There should not be the need for finidng way racing with the AI by the user, this is PD`s job to do it properly or concentrate the whole game on online racing for example, but this ain`T both of it!

I honor your idea, and if you like it and it works for you it is great. But the AI is a real downside in this game! The braking points and the lines they choose are somewhere no one can explain. It is not AI to me, just running roadblocks you need to overtake. Sorry to spoil the fun in here, but I do not want to try to find a somewhat way to have interesting races with the AI, I want AI where you have the feeling they race you and think of winning the race and react to situations that happen o nthe track. They ignore you, running side by side, they go for their programmed line, unless you have already passed them for example. I want close clean racing, but with this AI it is just not possible. I want a battle for position for more than 1 turn/braking point.
AI in GT is useless. Sorry, I really love the GT series, but for something like racing against AI it is useless.

There should not be the need for finidng way racing with the AI by the user, this is PD`s job to do it properly or concentrate the whole game on online racing for example, but this ain`T both of it!
It's always someone that comes in and trys to spoil it for rest of us who is trying to be creative and having fun. No one said we was trying to really race, it's just a good way to drive "offline" on a track of your choice and not feel alone. I will say again it's not a race, esp on unlimited laps.

It's always someone that comes in and trys to spoil it for rest of us who is trying to be creative and having fun. No one said we was trying to really race, it's just a good way to drive "offline" on a track of your choice and not feel alone. I will say again it's not a race, esp on unlimited laps.

Sorry, I do not critic the idea behind what you guys do, I critic PD that there is the need of doing this!

I agree completely.

In 90% of my AI gt6 racing, the AI are useless. Braking way to early, taking awful lines etc.

I agree we shouldn't have to force a good 'race', but something odd happens after about 15-20 minutes, and the front runners come alive, to the point where they are braking as late as I am, and I can follow them, on their bumper, full throttle through fast sweepers, without any mid corner brake dabs.

Again, I honestly, completely agree that we shouldn't have to force this behaviour, but gt6 is currently my only 'racing sim', so I have to make do, and this technique has given me my 'close racing' fix, after many hours of hot lapping and drifting on my own. :gtpflag:

I've posted this a couple of times in other threads, but I thought it might be useful to some who haven't seen my previous posts.

I am restricted to offline racing due to a lack of home internet. Because of this, I am forced to find some enjoyment on my own.

I spend alot of time drifting and hotlapping, but when I want some fun racing, I have found a little trick.

Step 1: set arcade AI temperament (aggressiveness) to 10 in the main options menu (start button at main GT screen)

Step 2: pick one of your favorite cars, I tend to go for a super GT or GT3 car.

Step 3: go to arcade race, and choose your favourite track, Bathurst or the Nordschleife 9 times out of 10 for me.

Step 4: set professional AI and laps to infinite.

Step 5: turn off all aids and set grip reduction to real, then make sure you run on the correct tyres (RH for race cars etc but drop a compound if your still finding it too easy/boring)

Step 6: start the race, fight to the front being completely clean. Once at the front, slow down the rabbit, and bunch the pack.

Step 7: drop to the back of the pack immediately, then fight to the front again, completely cleanly

Rinse and repeat.

Now, you will never win the race, as it never ends, but this also means the AI don't slow down on the last lap.

I have had some truely epic battles, with the whole pack 2-3 abrest down conrod straight.

Some of you might not think this sounds like much fun, but the AI manage a seriously respectable pace when forced into these circumstances, and for someone bound to offline, it's the best racing I have had on GT6.

Its the forcing yourself to be completely clean that creates the real challenge.

Have fun!

Yes, this is exacly what I wanted to point out on that other thread, thanks for the link.
So, generally the AI's potential is much greater than most people come to think. It should be an option for gamer to determine if he wants to challenge that potential at full might from the begining of race, because I believe that with the handicap turned of complety the entire grid would have the pace of the "rabbits".

I've got to admit I don't like single player much, I just race online.
I've got to International A as fast as I could without actually completing all the previous license races, and just grind for money now.
Not sure why that is, as I completed GT5 single player, but the chase the rabbit doesn't appeal anymore, whereas online is more fun.

I think everyone agrees that GT6 needs to be better in several areas. So rather than feel the need to dump Gatorade on those of us who actually enjoy this game, I think you would find better use of your time contributing to the Suggestions Forum, specifically the Features subforum where input on improving the game would be helpful. This is particularly timely considering that many of these suggestions could carry over to GT7, which may arrive sooner than later.

Now of course I applaud this thread, because for those of us addicted to Gran Turismo, we need some ways to keep this game engaging, and I've done similar things as far back as GT2. Took cars as much as 60% below race spec to keep the game challenging. I should keep in mind that I have almost twice as many competitors in Arcade Mode now, but the 16 car fields in GT5 really spoiled me, as did the standing starts. I hope PD gives us a proper Event Maker to allow us to do many of the things that secret menu in GT5 does. That along with Course Maker II would open up the game a LOT. If they threw in Race Mod and a proper Livery Editor, the only other racer I'd look forward to would be the next GT. Not that I wouldn't give Project CARS or rFactor 2 - whenever it appears - a look, but you have to understand that some of us find something special in Gran Turismo that we just can't find in other racers. I keep trying them, and I keep dropping them, and that's just the way it is for many of us.

I'm going to add to the fun here seeing as though I too find myself in Arcade Mode for some good fun time.
There's two things I tend to do.

1: If you're going to do an arcade race, I recommend selecting the best tires BEFORE you load the race. These naturally would be Racing Softs. Basically, what this does is makes the game recognise the tires and say 'hey, this guy is using the best tires for this race, and since I'm Gran Turismo, I can't do the same for my AI's cars. So instead, I shall give my AI faster cars to race with and even it up a little to make it a bit more fair (relatively)'. When the game loads the slightly faster cars with higher PP to match your superior tires, you can then manually change back to whatever tires you want to increase the difficulty. If you're going to use a car from your own garage, select the Racing Softs as your main tires from the Home Screen. I do this with pretty much all my favourites.
So generally speaking, here's an example: I want to race my stock 458 Italia on the Nurburgring against 10 aggression AI. I buy Racing Softs for my Ferrari so they are the default tires. Then, I select my car and track and when the game loads the slightly faster cars for me to compete with , at the pre-race stage, I simply switch back to my preferred tire choice (I usually choose Comfort Mediums for every street legal car and Comfort Softs for semi slicks, but literally any other tire choice will work because it's always going to be slower than Racing Softs 👍). When you're satisfied, fire up the race and do your best to keep up with the competition (who now will probably have better tires than you).

2: Just to make it slightly more challenging, when I'm on a track like the Nurburgring, I use their track day rule "Over-take on the left side of the track".
So here's another example: I'm driving in the 458 and I come up against Turtle 1. Turtle 1 takes the corner at an unbelievably slow speed because this is Gran Turismo. He leaves a gap open and I can clearly over-take, however, I can't, because the gap is on the right side of the track and the rules say I have to pass the slower car on the left. So now I have to wait for Turtle 1 to be kind enough to move to the right so I can make my move. Of course, if you touch the car you are trying to over-take, you obviously have to concede position and try again whenever the opportunity arises. This can be applied to any track, obviously, and of course you can decide which side of the track to over-take. :cheers:

So, all the time I've spent playing single player, I haven't been having fun?

News to me.

Thanks for letting me know 👍

Edit

Yeh, this was so boring I almost fell asleep

And I had actually fallen asleep from boredom when I managed this

sorry i fell asleep watching these videos sorry

I'm about to run off for another GT6 session, but I have to say that the bots overall seem more intent on racing now. Update 1.07 seems like a spring breeze has blown in.

I was wondering, if I'm not mistaken, almost all races of IA have 16 cars on grid. So why are we limited to only 10 cars grid on arcade mode? :indiff:

Yep, you could choose exactly what cars you wanted to appear in any arcade or GT mode race. I often mixed sports cars vs rally cars vs GT300 cars vs 125cc karts on smaller tracks, and NASCAR vs GT500 vs Touring Cars vs supercars on long fast tracks. This was limited to premium cars only though, except for your car which could be standard. It boggles the mind why it was locked away from the normal game.
wow... why have I never heard of this "secret menu" before.

off to youtube i go

Whilst there is nothing wrong with this when I tried it I just didn't find it that fun. Or rather the lack of immersion killed it somewhat. Fighting through to the front is fun once but when you get into bunching and purposely dropping back you just lose all the illusion of actual racing, instead you're just playing a game with the AI cars over and over. Plus of course there is never the excitement of winning a race. Battling with AI for a few corners and then finally getting past isn't as satisfying when you know there is no payoff.

Also I feel this only really works on tighter circuits where getting past cleanly can be tricky. One big, wide tracks passing the AI is still extremely simple thanks to their slow pace in the corners.

I'm not denying this doesn't work but we still desperately just just faster AI to really have immersive fun racing them.

I've gotten a bit bored, so I just came up with what I'm calling the 550PP Challenge where I've taken 11 of my cars and set them up to 550PP exactly. Each car will run 5 laps around a track and the best time is marked. Once all 11 cars have been run I start over and do five more laps with each car. Again the best time is recorded for each car. The fastest lap time car will receive 10 points down to the slowest which will receive 0 points. I will repeat the entire process at 4 additional tracks, so this "Challenge" will run at 5 tracks in total. I chose Monza, Brands Hatch, Twin Ring Motegi, Nurburgring Nordschleife and Bathurst for my first attempt at this thing... I whipped up a quick spreadsheet to keep track of the totals...I print out a worksheet for each track so I can scribble in the times while I'm in my racing seat!

0yGYhee.png

h7fmkz5.png

Seeing as this is my first time doing it, I'm sure I will end up seeing that not all 550PP cars are created equal, nor would I ever think that they are. I tried to use a variety of tracks. Some technical, some power friendly, to let cars exploit their pro's and not always suffer from their con's. If I think I had fun doing this, once I finish, I'll have to look at the data and see if I need to start applying handicaps or anything for future races.

Sadly, I'm NOT very good with Microsoft Excel. Ideally, I'd like the spreadsheet to figure out the fastest lap times from the rows of data and copy that fastest time to the appropriate cells on the Main Page, and then look at which is the fastest time among the different cars, per track and associate the point values accordingly. I'll learn as I go about it.

Anything that can make GT6 more fun...

I like to build race cars from road cars and race them at the Nurb 24 mins. You can pretty much turn any road car into a race car with everything realistic apart from the downforce. So far I have raced SLR 722 'GT' (ran out of fuel and placed 3rd), Volvo S60 'V8 Supercar' (placed 4th but had the lead before front tires wore away), Monaro '427C' (first place) and I'm going to build a Volkswagen Nardo 'GT' which I will race soon.

Back