Idea For GT7 Career Mode (Please Vote!)

• Thread starter Crazy3001
  • 55 comments

Online Career Mode?

• Total voters
Canada
New Brunswick
Crazy3001
I've seen lots of people complain about the career mode in GT6, saying the A.I sucks and it's too easy etc etc. Well here's my idea to make career mode harder and I think a bit more fun in future GT titles.

I think the career mode should have the option of partly online racing. For each series of races, you would be connected with other players that are doing the same race and race against real people for your trophies. It could be a real challenge or it could be easy, it all depends on who you get connected with.

So when you sign up for a race, you're sent to the lobby where you wait a minute or two while the lobby fills up. If it doesn't quite fill up, throw in A.I for the rest of the cars. Maybe have a practice mode where you can do some laps while waiting or something. The only thing that might be a problem in starting positions. Maybe just make them random, or have more skilled players start towards the back.

And of course they should have the option of turning the online part off for those that want to race just A.I.

It would definitely be more challenging. You likely wouldn't get gold trophy your first time every race.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Some other ideas we've come up with.
-Online AND Offline Option (Option to Wait For Room To Fill Up Or Just Race AI)
-Ranking/Matchmaking System
-Penalties For Bad Driving (Collisions/Off Track/Etc..)
-Racing Against Friends Ghosts

Last edited:
Brilliant!!! Combined with an online ranking system and matchmaking, you would be skill matched with drivers close to you in speed. I'd also like it if it was chock full of Spec Races with cars provided and no tuning, especially in the lower ranks, and a completely separate bank acct and garage (optional for increased difficulty and realism).

Brilliant!!! Combined with an online ranking system and matchmaking, you would be skill matched with drivers close to you in speed. I'd also like it if it was chock full of Spec Races with cars provided and no tuning, especially in the lower ranks, and a completely separate bank acct and garage (optional for increased difficulty and realism).
Great idea to keep it fair. And if your up to it you can try tuning your cars and take on others tuned cars in higher levels (while staying within the certain PP restrictions).

Its an excellent idea,but I still voted no mainly because of my own preference.I would rather have one offline career mode and online seperate as it is now.I think a good idea however would be to implement a way to have your career opponents be a.i versions of your psn friends(calculated off of lap times,amount of crashes per race aids they use ect).
Edit:I realize theres lots of ways that couldn't work(especially since most people restart after mess ups),but thankfully it isn't my job to figure it out!

Last edited:
Yeah I know there probably would be a lot of people quitting, but thats fine, as long as they dont try to ruin the race. And if you're the one who quits I guess there could be some kind of penalty.

There is a simple problem with this, the same problem every idea like it has in the past. PD will ignore it. They've had 15 years to change the structure of A-Spec and just haven't bothered, despite many excellent ideas posted here and other games released with great ideas.

I'm resigned myself to the fact we're going to have the exact same single player game from here until eternity. PD just don't care to improve it, they can't if they basically did a copy/paste the last 5 games.

Yeah I know there probably would be a lot of people quitting, but thats fine, as long as they dont try to ruin the race. And if you're the one who quits I guess there could be some kind of penalty.
Well if my suggestion was added into yours that problem could be irradicated by having the a.i profiles for your psn friends,someone drops out;engage A.i for that car rather than removing the car from the race.

I voted 'It Might Work' but the idea sounds really good on paper. It could end up being GTO (Gran Turismo Online); An MMO version of Gran Turismo.

But with PD being PD, it'll probably be stuffed with micro-transactions and bugs. Or it may never happen at all.

I think it would have to be some sort of online/AI hybrid. Nobody will want to wait for an event to fill-up just to progress through career mode in a pure online scenario. Also, if the severs were overloaded at launch, people would be very upset if they were stuck in a queue waiting for an available slot in the Sunday Cup.

In my opinion, a better option would be to have a traditional offline AI based career mode plus a separate online career mode that consisted of predefined events. In the traditional mode the AI difficulty should be adjustable and/or performance point differential should be rewarded like GT5 seasonal events.

I think it would have to be some sort of online/AI hybrid. Nobody will want to wait for an event to fill-up just to progress through career mode in a pure online scenario. Also, if the severs were overloaded at launch, people would be very upset if they were stuck in a queue waiting for an available slot in the Sunday Cup.
Yeah that's what I said in my OP, have a 1 or 2 min waiting period and fill the rest of the spots with AI, or as jakeBG18 stated "implement a way to have your career opponents be a.i versions of your psn friends(calculated off of lap times,amount of crashes per race aids they use ect)."

A problem I can see is the people that don't race so great online sometimes. It would be great if we could have a Safety Rating system like iRacing (which has been discussed before) has. It would be great to race people in your skill set and experience levels. That way, we would have great, clean racing.

God no. I'd bodyslam my console twice if I got rammed at the first turn of the first race. You can only hope people will race clean.

God no. I'd bodyslam my console twice if I got rammed at the first turn of the first race. You can only hope people will race clean.

Yeah that is the biggest problem of the idea. All you would need to do though is having the option to play the game entirely offline because you want to or because you can't connect to the internet for some reason.

I think Real Racing 3 implemented something on the lines of this that you can race online people in a normal career race but their times would be fixed, I'm not sure how it works, but I'm fairly sure you Don't race them at the same time, more like race a few AI and Online racers and, when finished the race, the data from your race is given to the next person.

Anyways! Yeah, there would be a few flaws but GT need to take some sort of a risk and, so what, if it doesn't work, everyone would still have the option of not doing it. Personally, I'd much prefer there to be an actual story in it, not just random races that have no meaning, other than credits. Some, like me, wouldn't have the privilege of this because, most of the time, I'm unable to go online due to poor Internet speeds. Oh, and one more thing: Standing Starts!!! Worth a gamble GT :)

Yeah that is the biggest problem of the idea. All you would need to do though is having the option to play the game entirely offline because you want to or because you can't connect to the internet for some reason.
This a million times. I'd be perfectly fine with the option of doing a race online. Also it'd be pretty nice if you could just invite your friends to race with you :dopey:

Looks like your opinions are almost split down the middle, with most people on the edge about the idea. It wouldn't hurt to have it added, as you could just turn it off and leave it offline only.

Great idea. Not. Win a race to complete this event. Against 15 aliens online.
If it's an entirely separate mode from the rest of the game you can just skip it. But what if they also enabled the long promised matchmaking system? How about an online ranking system? Driver Ratings? Any of those features well implemented could make online racing much more competitive because you'd be matched against drivers of similar calibre.

Back