Interesting finds...

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 13 comments
Really? How bad is it?

I got it in a bundle for very little actual money. What they don't make clear is that it's a free to play game that you have to pay for because it's in early access, and what's more is that it's a 'pay to win', i.e. you can spend money to get an advantage over everyone else, though I have since heard the pay to win thing is no longer... But you do still have to pay for a game that will eventually be free. This, by the way, is both unannounced on the Steam page (or was last I looked) and par for the course when it comes to early access free to play games, so, yeah.

The physics are awful (neither sim nor arcade, just complete crap), the game is a mess visually and functionally and I think it's already dead as I couldn't find anyone to race with. Maybe that will change, but as it stands you have absolutely no need or reason to concern yourself with this game. Wait for it to be free then give it a go, but I'd be astonished if they make the gameplay fun.

I got this game yesterday before I saw this post and I don't think it's that bad lol. It works with a DS4 controller and even the triggers have pressure sensitivity. And neema now they are not pay-to-win

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435020104/announcements/detail/1261309464223430251

This I hope (on my tablet) is a link to the article that says they are dropping the gear store so game credits can no longer be bought with real money. So now the rewards for winning have been hiked up. Still got problem with player got about 4 people in a race yesterday and the winner got 600 gear credits. You need about 5000 I think to make a basic car.

The trailers and spots on Steam raise alarm bells from the get-go, always a bad sign. Poly count looks very low (crap, I've flat-spotted the tyre. No, wait...), and no "real" tracks or cars if I'm not mistaken, though they could just be relatively obscure historical teams I've not heard of. Licensing is harder for a small project like this I know, but others seem to find ways around it. The car customisation thing hardly screams realism either, reminded me of something like Ridge Racer Type 4. Bit of an oddity but heck if it does go free-to-play I will check it out

yeah poly count does seem pretty low apparently they are just about ready with a new shader system and other graphics improvements. I mean its not brilliant but the car customization seems pretty good and in the future players will be able to make procedurally generated tracks and share em on steam workshop.

tyger if you read the article in above post it was free-to-play and had now gone away from that market but its like £12 on steam. probably won't be played by me for long but it might provide a bit of fun for a while I suppose.

And neema now they are not pay-to-win

Fair enough, I had heard they were cutting out some of the pay-to-win elements but it looks like they've removed the free-to-play economy altogether. Unfortunately that doesn't mean the game itself is any good, though, and if it doesn't recover from the early bad publicity due to the now-defunct business model it'll be dead before it's even launched, sadly. That's just a downward spiral of 'people won't buy it because the multiplayer is dead/the multiplayer is dead because people won't buy it', and that's a real shame, but indie/small-time games that rely heavily on multiplayer modes (and that go up against big releases like Forza, Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, TrackMania and so on) rarely have much of a shelf life.

As for other Steam finds... There are so many, but here's a short list of not-so-well-known/talked about games I think are worth trying or at least being aware of:

- Sir, You Are Being Hunted
- Hexcells
- Karateka
- Risk of Rain
- Teleglitch: Die More Edition
- The Swapper
- Receiver (really just a proof of concept, but worth a try)
- Gemini Rue
- the Crash Time series.

It's not a top ten or anything, but I find a lot of people are either unaware of what these games are or dismiss them as trashy/'oh another one of those' indie games. Crash Time is trash (in a good Just Cause 2 sense, not like Big Rigs Over The Road Racing trash) but it's the only racing game I could think of that people aren't widely aware of.

Karateka... that sounds familiar. I think there was a game by that name back in the apple 2e or 2c days. Good ole floppy disks.
if its the game i am.thinking of, i loved it as a kid.

Caz
Karateka... that sounds familiar. I think there was a game by that name back in the apple 2e or 2c days. Good ole floppy disks.
if its the game i am.thinking of, i loved it as a kid.

Yeah, it's a remake of an old game I never played. It's probably quite faithful (save for the graphics and sound) since the gameplay is pretty basic, but I liked it.

Back