iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Yes if you want to wait to the end of the season just have your SR at 3.0 or higher and you will be promoted. You can fast track through the license by doing your 4 races or tt's in the class your in and having a 4.0 SR. So if your SR is already over 4.0 just do your 4 class d races and keep it over 4.0 and you will move up to C. It doesn't take long with the fast track system. I had my A license in both road and oval in about 2 or 3 months on being on iracing I wasn't even really trying. I know one guy that got his oval A license in 20 races lol.

WHOAH!!! all I gotta do now is four measly time trials in the skippy, and I'm automatically promoted to Class C???

Well...

clay-davis-20090803-084155.jpg

I just opened a thread on iracing about my issue and it seems everyone is telling me to qualify and stuff it.

What is going on? What happened to all those who supported me not to qualify...I am sooo confused....

Could it be the replies of recommending you to Quali in low SOF races is not what you expected? I think if anyone were to quali it would be best in a low SOF race to avoid any riff-raff?

I think the replies at iracing are being polite. I do not see anyone telling you to 'stuff it.'
:confused:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1855517.page

I always qualify, I tend to believe that the cream rises to the top so the driving is better up front. If you're fast enough to be on the front row, then even better.

Keep an eye on your competitors with your relative time keeper (F4 maybe?) if someone is coming up on you really fast give them the spot rather than trying to defend and making a mistake. The first rule of thumb is to finish, the second rule of thumb is to finish well. :)

I'm currently running the MX-5 at Okayama in the Mazda Cup and I'm wondering if I should qualify. My first race I didn't qualify and I started 6th out of 9 cars. I got off to a slow start and ended up in 8th position by the first corner. There were a couple incidents in front of me and I slowed to avoid them. I then slowed to avoid a couple more incidents on the first lap. By the end of the first lap I was in 5th place and about 20seconds behind 4th place. When I examined the results the 4th place driver wasn't any faster then me so I'm thinking he just didn't have to slow down at the beginning and gained a lead that way.

I don't know my iRating, but I was in a 1325 split. In that split the winners had 1:02.xxx best laps and a 1:03.xx average. The 4th place driver was about 1:04.5 average and 1:03.6 best as was I. I haven't done any qualifying so I'm not sure how well I would do or where I would start on the grid if I did. If I qualified with my kind of times would I get in front of the first corner mayhem or would I just get myself into the thick of it? If I'm still too slow to consider qualifying, what kind of times would I need to run to make qualifying worthwhile?

Yeah when I was moving up and was in the high 3.90's I would just do a few TT's in order to get those last couple points instead of risking a race and getting taken out by some idiot lol. When you hit 3.0 and 4.0 you get .50 jump. So when you get the next license you will be at 3.50 or so since it takes away a whole point when you move up.

I'd suggest if you get to around 3.90 or higher, just finish it off with a couple time trials. I've been near that point and then had a bad race and lost SR. Also of you are on your way down, and getting near 3.0 or 2.0 do some time trials to work your rating back up a little. When you go below any whole number,you automatically lose about a half a point.

Followed the advices and am now promoted to class D! Now... at class D it seems like purchasing the tracks and cars for the series becomes a necessity...

I'm currently running the MX-5 at Okayama in the Mazda Cup and I'm wondering if I should qualify. My first race I didn't qualify and I started 6th out of 9 cars. I got off to a slow start and ended up in 8th position by the first corner. There were a couple incidents in front of me and I slowed to avoid them. I then slowed to avoid a couple more incidents on the first lap. By the end of the first lap I was in 5th place and about 20seconds behind 4th place. When I examined the results the 4th place driver wasn't any faster then me so I'm thinking he just didn't have to slow down at the beginning and gained a lead that way.

I don't know my iRating, but I was in a 1325 split. In that split the winners had 1:02.xxx best laps and a 1:03.xx average. The 4th place driver was about 1:04.5 average and 1:03.6 best as was I. I haven't done any qualifying so I'm not sure how well I would do or where I would start on the grid if I did. If I qualified with my kind of times would I get in front of the first corner mayhem or would I just get myself into the thick of it? If I'm still too slow to consider qualifying, what kind of times would I need to run to make qualifying worthwhile?

Hi,
I believe you start the game with a 1250 iRating. Your irating will not show until you get a certain number of races completed (I do not recall the number I think it is somewhere around 5 - 10 races? :dunce: )

I know many people recommend starting from the pits for your first races. This is to allow one to acclimate to the racing environment. If you feel comfortable on the track around other cars and you have good racecraft (clean and consistent lap times, not crashing, able to pass and be passed cleanly, no divebombing, no blocking, etc) I would say to try qualifying for one race. You will likely start near the front and hopefully avoid any crashups.
(full disclosure: I am an iracing enthusiast, but I am not an expert at all! :) someone with more experience should come along soon and give some advice)

I think rookies start out at 1350 looking at the charts...

Swifty you got some good responses in that thread. Looks like they either suggest Qualify, start from the pits, or not Q and let your iRating sort out your starting position

It's tricky since you have the speed to win.... Tough call yo!

Even in my case it's not black and white either. The race where I came in 4th I started at pos 4 or 5 (cause I qualified). If I didnt Qualify no idea how I would have that race. However, every other race afterwards i wish i had not qualified that week. And I would never start from the pits in the HPD (due to GT traffic)...

In the Star Mazda though I will eventually Qualify...

I just opened a thread on iracing about my issue and it seems everyone is telling me to qualify and stuff it.

What is going on? What happened to all those who supported me not to qualify...I am sooo confused....

I'm a firm believer of not qualifying for the rookie series and only the rookie series, after that go ahead and do quali.

One funny thing tho everyone is all suggesting to Qualify (in Willy's thread) but most every race I can recall joining most do not Qualify. So either people are kind of not being real or the bad element could care less and just dont bother posting.

Hm, cant figure out a good way to prove this though. But checkout some really fast guys I know of from top of my head like this guy:

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/CareerStats.do?custid=53896

Dude doesnt ever really qualify. He gets frustrated at others for 'blocking him' even though he does not take the time to Q. You look at Eric's history and you can see this is how he operates and his iRating isn't too shabby either. However he is a good driver tho I want to add and is very polite when he's let by

Class C baby!! :D

I JUST started driving the Skippy a few hours ago and was able to string 15 consecutive incident free laps together at Mosport on only my second time trial attempt! My personal best time is 1:38, and I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement there. Was consequently promoted to Class C which is what I really wanted.

Man, this car is way way WAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun to drive than the Mazda MX5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more!!!!!! The force feedback feels ABSURDLY good compared to the MX5. Holy moly I was NOT prepared to feel these kinds ffb effects when driving this car!

I was already smiling the second they planted my butt into that little sucker and was able to see much more of the beautiful scenery. Felt like I was released from a jail cell or something. Tin Tops are so claustrophobic compared to open wheelers when you use cockpit view.

Anyway the Skippy *IS* quite a handful at the start, but I feel right at home after driving the Formula 2 Mods in Grand Prix Legends. It's a bit slippery than the F2 in GPL, but it's got such a nice drifty and nimble feel to it. The behavior of the car is unpredictable but very rewarding when you drive it smoothly and you nail those corners.

To say I can't wait for the Lotus 49 is an understatement! :eek:

So what is the plan you think you will stick with the Skippy or go for the Star now?

skippy is a great fun car to drive tho I highly agree

So what is the plan you think you will stick with the Skippy or go for the Star now?

skippy is a great fun car to drive tho I highly agree

Shoo man, I'll drive the SM later on and see how I like it. I'm quite sure I'll wind up racing it, the Skippy, the MX5 and the Mustang. Variety is the spice of life and I'm a multi-car kinda guy! :D :D :D

I'm thinking bout giving the Mustang a try one of these days too. I've owned a few in real life. I very much enjoyed driving them fast and racing them against friends for fun.

I say always qualify.... I will never enter a race unless I have qualified. The best results always come from when you qualify well. For me, I have a huge emphasis on qualifying as I hate starting mid pack or trying to pull moves off. I prefer to race at the front of the field as often the racing is a lot cleaner in the opening laps.

Just my opinion but I know a lot of others are different.

Boom. Thats the answer then oh mighty V8 supergod :D

Thanks for the input. Going to qualify in a few.

According to the iRacing Facebook page, we aren't only getting the new Cadillac for next month's update, but they will also be releasing a new track as well. Twin Ring Motegi :D

Well....I qualified, got 2nd place on the grid.

Not even turn 1 I get rear ended by a guy who has rear ended me like 10 times before...I even warned him prior to the race.

Starting with now one lap down...i finished 3rd. Looking at the times I should have finished 1 or 2nd so I guess I can't be THAT disappointed but I missed a win. Quite annoyed by some clearly crap Skip drivers.

Mosport I am down to 1.33 laps :)

Going to head to the beach with the wife, chill out from this nonsense.

The problem is, at least in my experience and from what I've read, accidents going into turn 1 are almost always considered racing incidents by Nim (the iRacing protest god). You can still protest him, but I would expect a "no-fault" response.

Now if you save each replay, and then submit them to show a pattern, as if this guy is specifically targeting you, than you have a good case to get him a vacation from iRacing.

According to the iRacing Facebook page, we aren't only getting the new Cadillac for next month's update, but they will also be releasing a new track as well. Twin Ring Motegi :D

Those are awesome news! Motegi is a great track and has something like 5 different configurations!

The problem is, at least in my experience and from what I've read, accidents going into turn 1 are almost always considered racing incidents by Nim (the iRacing protest god). You can still protest him, but I would expect a "no-fault" response.

Now if you save each replay, and then submit them to show a pattern, as if this guy is specifically targeting you, than you have a good case to get him a vacation from iRacing.

spot on, hence why I don't protest turn 1 accidents. That guy is massively annoying, since we can name names here, his name is Benoit Ivald2 or something like that, watch out for him, his got like 10+ average race incidents or something, insanely crazy driver.

to give you an idea what happened, I was 2nd on the grid, and he tried to drive between me and the first car in the middle of turn 1. Think about it....just wow....

Update:
ANOTHER WIN IN THE SKIP!

2nd win in 2 weeks. I should of won the earlier one this morning but still, coming from 1 lap down to 3rd, now a win in the arvo after an awesome day at the beach. Bloody awesome day.

Also no.1 in time trails now with a 50 point lead.

Last edited:
Anybody know a good brake curve factor setting for the DFGT?

And what do you recommend For FFB on DFGT? I have it set @ 16

It depends on the car and your driving style really. My FFB ranges from 7 to 14 and the brake curve ranges from 2.7 to 5.0 depending on which car I'm driving.

I don't think hes asking very bad questions. Is there a guide on tweaking braking curve factor? I've always set it to 0.0 on my CSPs but on my pot brakes (T500rs) I set it a bit higher cause I don't want for my brakes to lock as soon as I tap them

Roush_fan_99

I believe the recommended brake curve setting is 1.6 to 2.0 for spring type brakes. Now, this does not mean you have to use a value in that range. The lower the number, the brakes will be stronger or more sensitive and will lock easier. The higher the number, less sensitive and less chance of locking brakes. You can however, go so far to where your brakes won't lock and will be quite weak with too high of a number. Same goes if you go too low of a number. The brakes might lock at initial press of the pedal. Just start in the recommended range and play around with the values till you find something you like.

As for FFB, its really just personal preference. I usually run around 10-12 FFB, but I'm using a G25. So it might be different in your case.

Whenever I run the Legends, I have to turn my FFB down to about 7.0 or else it tries to tear my arms off. That car as got some serious problems with the way it transmits force. I've never driven one in real life, but I'd imagine it's along the same lines as the Formula Continentals I raced, and those even weren't trying to rip my arms off.

I adjust my FFB range depending on the car. Check out the FFB Clipping Monitor in the iRacing forums, it's a good way to ensure you are getting the maximum out of each car without having it set so strong that it misses information.

Whenever I run the Legends, I have to turn my FFB down to about 7.0 or else it tries to tear my arms off. That car as got some serious problems with the way it transmits force. I've never driven one in real life, but I'd imagine it's along the same lines as the Formula Continentals I raced, and those even weren't trying to rip my arms off.

I adjust my FFB range depending on the car. Check out the FFB Clipping Monitor in the iRacing forums, it's a good way to ensure you are getting the maximum out of each car without having it set so strong that it misses information.

care to send us a link to this forum post? i would be interested. i run at max force feedback on all cars all tracks

Back