iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
I just don't have fun that way, but it kills my iRating, I think if I focused on one series I could get a 2000+ iRating.

I don't think so - +2000 is pretty dam hard. But neither of us can be proven right unless you try, you could be +3000, you could be where you are now or you could be even worse as you crack under pressure to perform. But having said that, nothing is impossible so why not? Your probably the next Luiz and you don't even know it.

Last edited:
Aliens? I've seen that a few times, I'm assuming You're talking about the people who are really good and progress fast?

Aliens:

I don't think so - +2000 is pretty dam hard. But neither of us can be proven right unless you try, you could be +3000, you could be where you are now or you could be even worse as you crack under pressure to perform. But having said that, nothing is impossible so why not? Your probably the next Luiz and you don't even know it.

Not so much, in the last 3 weeks my iRating has spiked from the mid 1400s into 1800+(wich is where I started the season anyways). All because it's all coming together now at the end of the season where I'm all out going for the win in every race rather than being careful not to lose too much SR... And to be honest, I don't wanna be put in D3 next season I seem to fit very good in D4 where the top 10 guys are within .5 on all tracks with no one clearly dominating the series... But I want this championship so bad!

Last edited:
Seriously, I don't get why everyone is talking about this iRating thing that much... Why want to make it go higher if it's just to be placed in a split too high and therefore lose it back? I mean it's a classification system, it's not like you are part of a "cooler" social class because you are in the 2000's iRating. If someone is meant to have a high iRating, it won't take long for that person to reach it. When you start to cap somewhere, then you are close to your "real" rating. End of story.

Come on lapierre4 your iRating is soaring through the roof though. iRacing web server is doing its usual fail atm but I bet your iRating was high day 1 and just continued to soar through the roof ever since

iRating is unfortunately the highest measure of skill this sim has to offer. If you let it fall to low you can get put into the bottom-most splits where wrecks happen all over the place and even if you survive you still get no +iR cause the SOF is so awful.

It depends on the series though of course. Of course someone fast can just get put on pole and avoid all the nobbery. That's my strategy. I go all out in my qualifiers now. Just the last race I was in it was so sad. Some poor sucker in the back announces on voice, "Hey guys if you are fast I promise I will let you by". Right after green lights this guy screams, "OMG You %$%$%$ you hit my car!!!!"

* Note, btw my SR is falling down badly though. Now that I drive to win and look out for #1 my SR is dropping like no tomorrow. Will probably lose my Class A license at this rate. Oh well I have no plans to drive the F1 no time soon. Sucks tho!

Last edited:
Jav

That video was really cool

I watched a few videos after that one, and I saw one of them had text of what a guy said on his mic. Is that the default setting, or do you have to change it to this, or does this only really work if you have a mic?

That's the good thing about iracing is it all in what you make it. Long as your having fun racing it doesn't matter. Some people just like to race in different ways. Some want to just focus on a car or two and build there IR up so they can race in the top split to race against the best guys and get the max points if they want to try and go pro. Some guys like to race for SR. Some like to do just hosted and league races and not mess with official races that much. Others like to race all the different kinds of cars so IR or SR isn't a big deal to them. Just all depends on what you like.

I've been trying to get my IR up so I can make the top splits so I can try and score the max points and I also want to race against the best so I can challenge myself to get faster. I know it's a long shot and will take lots of practice but I would like to try for pro either the end of this year or first of the next. I didn't do all that many official races when I first started. I've really gotten into doing them this season. I was already apart of a league before I even got on iracing. It was a oval PS3 league that changed over to iracing. I kinda had to learn fast because I was running the class c truck in the league on my first week of iracing and racing the a class cup car just 3 weeks into joining iracing. Since in our second season we didn't follow the iracing schedule so I had to practice for league races and the official race were not at those tracks so I hardly did any official races at all in my 2nd season.

This year I finally decided to try and get my IR up this season. I've only gained about 600 road irating to 1605 since I only usually do 1 or 2 hpd races during the week for points. I want to find a second series to run so I can get it boosted up faster. In oval I have been running the late model which is one of my fav cars and the truck and cup car and I've gained about 1200 points to 2392 total as of right now. My goals are to be at 2000 in road and 2600 in oval by the end of the season.

Jav
Aliens:

Not so much, in the last 3 weeks my iRating has spiked from the mid 1400s into 1800+(wich is where I started the season anyways). All because it's all coming together now at the end of the season where I'm all out going for the win in every race rather than being careful not to lose too much SR... And to be honest, I don't wanna be put in D3 next season I seem to fit very good in D4 where the top 10 guys are within .5 on all tracks with no one clearly dominating the series... But I want this championship so bad!

Jav, that just proves my point. I believe your one of the top drivers here and your 1800's...but superbike "doesn't try" so its hard to compare, but I personally believe (just my opinion) that he isn't a better driver than you, therefore he won't get an irating above yours, therefore he can't get 2000+.

But of course, this is all nonesense as superbike doesn't aim for irating. I guess we can all speculate :)

Maybe one day superbike can show us this 2000+ irating demon-racer inside of him and focus on a series that is D class up!

P.S don't let superbike hear what you just said, your basically sand bagging and its illegal ;)

P.S don't let superbike hear what you just said, your basically sand bagging and its illegal ;)

Lol! Not really, I'm pretty sure as soon as I hit a top split I'll be back down to 1400 and bouncing between D5 and D3 wich I really don't want happening... We'll see where I end up at the end of the season, trust me I won't be sandbaging I want that championship!

Remember though, in higher SOF races you can still gain/maintain iRating without finishing even top 5. There are guys with 4000+ iRating who have 10 wins in their lifetime. But they remain consistent and finish in the Top 10 in high SOF races.

If you can be consistent, you can have a "high" iRating like 2000+. You may be right, I may never reach 2000+ even if I tried, I'm just thinking logically. Right now I do zero practice, I don't bother with setups, I just jump into races in multiple series whenever I feel like it. I believe that if I focused more on a single car (which I may very well do when the RUF comes out) I may be able to get my iRating up pretty high. Not because I win races, but because I stay safe and consistently moderately quick and can usually finish in the top 5 without problems. That's exactly what I did in real life racing too, I was never the fastest guy on track, but I was always consistent.

I might try it just to see if I can do it. Maybe next week when I get back to Japan. Maybe I'll focus on one series for week 12 just to see if I can gain a few hundred iRating points by only driving one car.

well the draft season 2 is out, Cadillac will be R Class.

Confirmed GT Challange with Corv and Ford GT only, This is interesting, I might give this a go. Its also C Class as well so there might not be a reason for me to go B Class after all!

You guys think I might just go B class for the sake of it or stuff it? Theres not much cars I want to race i B since C will have the GT cars.

I've watched iRacing vids where they advise to take your time in the various classes. That is my plan for Ovals. I wont rush to class B for Indy. I plan to take my time and learn all I can because it wont get any easier and SR will be harder and harder to earn

It is up to you though but maybe you should take your time in class C next. Perhaps GT might fit you. But I know Star Mazda is in your time zone. Hopefully GT series will be too

I've watched iRacing vids where they advise to take your time in the various classes. That is my plan for Ovals. I wont rush to class B for Indy. I plan to take my time and learn all I can because it wont get any easier and SR will be harder and harder to earn

It is up to you though but maybe you should take your time in class C next. Perhaps GT might fit you. But I know Star Mazda is in your time zone. Hopefully GT series will be too

Good point, I'll just go for Class B for the sake of it. Almost there anyway.

What happened to V8 supercars? I remember back in the day you mentioned it but havent seen you mention it lately. They should be getting the NTM soon hopefully. I've watched some more of Mad's films and it looks like they can absorb some abuse very nicely.

What series you think you might try in Class B?

Oh nice congrats! Just took a peek at your profile. The sim is starting to reward you very nicely for your efforts

Btw, while I might have your attention. I think it would be cool if you could get FRAPS. That way if you ever make a vid you could chop up the vid to show the interesting bits. You could even make a highlights video. I imagine you're probably way too busy for such things though

Come on lapierre4 your iRating is soaring through the roof though. iRacing web server is doing its usual fail atm but I bet your iRating was high day 1 and just continued to soar through the roof ever since

I don't get what you mean. My iRating is exactly doing what I described... It went up until it reached a point where I have to push too much for the level of skills I have in order to make it go higher. And backwards, I can drive comfortably and keep it around where I am right now! As you said, it's a skill measure, so why want to absolutely get it as high as possible, which is altering its goal? It would just remove any sense in that rating since you just cared about it and therefore it would not exactly reflect your skill level...

By the way, let's just say that actual speed is way more important than iRating. The winner of GT Academy Europe 2011 is Thibault Lacombe (outburner976), a somehow new iRacer. He is an alien, one of the very best driver in every game/sim he tries. But last time I saw he was in the 2000's. But it's surely not his skill level so he will continue climbing until he reaches a point in the 4-5-6000's, only future will tell... My point is, don't work on your rating, it will do its job alone.

EDIT: Now, since I know exactly that it's fun to reach a plateau (2000, 3000, etc) I'll stop talking about this or I'll get mad :D. Whoever realizes that the rating is not important will have much muuuuch more fun playing iRacing. Believe me, I'm an example of that.

Last edited:
the higher the irating, the closer to battles. that's what i enjoy. don't get me wrong 4000 people are way to fast for me. but 2000, 3000, that is where the real battles start to come and when you can start to trust people on the braking. that is racing. not pure tension "OH NO WHEN IS THIS GUY GOING TO BREAK" "will he give me room like i gave him" "is he going to break to late?" i love not asking those questions.

lapierre my guess is you've never been in the absolute bottom split but I have been there. I want out. Like Pingwhen says I am more stressed out about my fellow racers then I am about the track. I believe I have the ability to change this as long as I focus on my goal to one day get out the bottom split

Don't get me wrong. Some guys in the bottom split are great. The vast majority are. I'd take a Star Mazda bottom split over Prototype & GT anyday. So not complaining.

But the Achiever in me wants better and I won't let nothing stop me from acquiring that goal

I've done some ghost races in the top split and I've watched them have great close range battles. I also see them doing some stupid moves too. But these guys are cream of the crop and I want to race along beside them one day 👍

edit: Maybe you are misunderstanding though I don't have a set iRating # in mind. I'd just like to get to like 1500+. That's quite reasonable I feel. Not being greedy. Just 200 more iRating points than I current have on Road side.

Last edited:
My spare time for iRacing has shortened a lot in the last few months so I'm thinking on racing just one car during S2. Judging by the calendar, if the Indy car gets the NTM I'll buy it and try to race both its fixed and open series.

Is anyone racing the HRT at Mosport this week? I'll try to race there during the weekend.

I hope Indy car and V8 supercar will get the NTM. I hope they stay away from the SK Modifieds tho. I dont see anyone asking for SK Mods to get NTM. So much fun sliding around Ovals with the OTM. But sooner or later I realize it will get NTM and I will have to most likely start all over. :crazy:

The CTS-V, Infineon, and all skill levels equals :eek::eek:

Did some laps in the Mustang at Road Atlanta and its pure joy. Doesn't hurt either that Road Atlanta is one of my favorite tracks.:dopey:

Road Atlanta quickly went from the most awful track ever to one of my most favorite tracks of all time within the span of 1 week 👍

Yeah I would still try the CTS-V rookie series thing *if* my iRating was high enough to be assured I'd get into the upper splits. But I shudder at the thought of driving on that track with pure rookies. At least in Class C you can count on people somewhat respecting the blue flags when they're being lapped. But a rookie might not know any better and try to race you anyways.

I know when I first started out I didnt know what all the different colors meant via F3.

plate88
The CTS-V, Infineon, and all skill levels equals :eek::eek:

Did some laps in the Mustang at Road Atlanta and its pure joy. Doesn't hurt either that Road Atlanta is one of my favorite tracks.:dopey:

I hope to run into you out there this week! (not literally) :)

There is always a super high split for the Stangs on Sunday nights at 7:15 and 9:15 pm eastern. The racing is dumb fast, clean, and intense. Check it out!

SpecMiata-JSW
I hope to run into you out there this week! (not literally) :)

There is always a super high split for the Stangs on Sunday nights at 7:15 and 9:15 pm eastern. The racing is dumb fast, clean, and intense. Check it out!

Sweet. I'll see if I can be around Sunday evening.

I've taken about 2 to 3 weeks off from iRacing and looking to get geared up for season 2.

Just had probably my worst race in my short iRacing career.

All because of one pilot! They've actually annoyed me that much that I'm getting FRAPS to show a video! Grrrrrrrrr!

Right, that's my little internet rant over, now back to some piece, quiet and a beer!

lapierre my guess is you've never been in the absolute bottom split but I have been there. I want out. Like Pingwhen says I am more stressed out about my fellow racers then I am about the track. I believe I have the ability to change this as long as I focus on my goal to one day get out the bottom split

Don't get me wrong. Some guys in the bottom split are great. The vast majority are. I'd take a Star Mazda bottom split over Prototype & GT anyday. So not complaining.

But the Achiever in me wants better and I won't let nothing stop me from acquiring that goal

I've done some ghost races in the top split and I've watched them have great close range battles. I also see them doing some stupid moves too. But these guys are cream of the crop and I want to race along beside them one day 👍

edit: Maybe you are misunderstanding though I don't have a set iRating # in mind. I'd just like to get to like 1500+. That's quite reasonable I feel. Not being greedy. Just 200 more iRating points than I current have on Road side.

I understand what you're saying, and it maks sense, but I think lapierre4 would say (if I am understanding him correctly) that attempting to DIRECTLY influence iRating is not the "best" approach.

Here are two different approaches to increasing iRating:

1) Directly Increase iRating
This can be done by strategically selecting what races you enter (depending on day and time), being extra careful to ensure you don't crash out, skipping tracks that you don't know well, etc. In the end your iRating will be higher but you have not improved your racing skills.

2) Indirectly Increase iRating
Forget about iRating and focus only on improving your racing skills (basically getting some kind of instruction on proper racing technices - like what lines to take through different kinds of corners - and then practicing these techniques). As your skills improve your average finishing place will improve and thus your iRating will gradually.

There are obviously a lot of sides to this issue which haven't considered in the above, but in general I agree with lapierre4 that approach 1 is not ideal.

I think that focusing on one car and series can raise your iRating fairly quick too (as others have said). I jumped around a lot in 2011 and had nice iRating gains, but focusing on one car and committing myself to practice, TT, and qualifying well has given me a nice consistent spike. Once you're 110% comfortable with car and track....and qualified ahead of the rubbish it's about staying on track and maintaining pace.

Some guys won't like using just one car, but it suits me well, especially since I'm still learning iRacing and it's what I've gotten used to in real life.

It's all how you play the game and what you enjoy. :)

The winner of GT Academy Europe 2011 is Thibault Lacombe (outburner976), a somehow new iRacer. He is an alien, one of the very best driver in every game/sim he tries. But last time I saw he was in the 2000's.

Oh God, that sneaky bastard is sneaking up on us on D4! with only 5 weeks he's already on 3rd!! 5 wins out of 5 starts! His iRating is on the 2400s and he's on D4?? He's gettin 150+ points per start when the best we can dream of is 90! Come on! How can we compete with that! He can very possibly out of nowhere win this title![/rant]
All part of the system and how it all works I guess...

I hope Indy car and V8 supercar will get the NTM.
The V8 will most likely get it now, I'm somewhat looking forward to that in hopes that the car becomes more driveable. Somhow I don't see the Indy Car getting it since we are getting the updated Indy Car later this year.
Yeah I would still try the CTS-V rookie series thing *if* my iRating was high enough to be assured I'd get into the upper splits. But I shudder at the thought of driving on that track with pure rookies. At least in Class C you can count on people somewhat respecting the blue flags when they're being lapped. But a rookie might not know any better and try to race you anyways.
Hopefully we will get the car for week 13 so we can get a good understanding for it! For the first few weeks placement shouldn't be an issue since participation is gonna be real high, you might want to be at 1600 or higher for that just to make sure you get away from all the rookies. Then you have the standing starts wich might work out to be a good thing, I can see the rookies launching the car straight into pit wall, so quali is gonna be extremely important if you don't quali starting from the pits is your best option!
Hopefully there will be no driving aids allowed for this car!

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, and it maks sense, but I think lapierre4 would say (if I am understanding him correctly) that attempting to DIRECTLY influence iRating is not the "best" approach.

Exactly. The two different approaches you described are exactly what I was thinking.

Jav
Oh God, that sneaky bastard is sneaking up on us on D4! with only 5 weeks he's already on 3rd!! 5 wins out of 5 starts! His iRating is on the 2400s and he's on D4?? He's gettin 150+ points per start when the best we can dream of is 90! Come on! How can we compete with that! He can very possibly out of nowhere win this title![/rant]
All part of the system and how it all works I guess...

In my opinion, that is the kind of guy you can exclude from any divisions, except division 1. I mean let's say Greger Huttu didn't already have an account and joined today, his iRating would take some time to go up. And since the divisions are based on iRating at the beginning of a season, he would not be classified in division 1. But obviously he deserves to be there... Same story with Mr. Lacombe and such aliens.

Back