iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
If you're not in a league in rfactor or multiple leagues, it can be difficult to race cars and tracks you want to on a regular basis.

I've just started playing this iracing and I'm knocked out by the realism.
The handling is supurb and the sense of speed is fantastic.

The people at polyphony need to check this out as its so realistic. this is the first game I've played where I've really felt that I'm driving a real car - the way the car responds to minute throttle inputs and the way it feels so raw.

yeah its all well and good having a game that looks nice but its the way it plays and feels which makes you play the game over and over again.

The tracks in iracing are better than GT5P if you can crank up the graphics detail up to quality like I can. The cars aren't that bad either but you are right GT5p is king when it comes to car detail.

It would be nice to have iRacing on the PS3 or Xbox 360. No more problems with expensive pc.

iRacing is now open to the public. If you sign up and list my email or someone else's as a referral that's already signed up for iRacing, we get a $10 bonus.

iRacing is a great sim but, at the moment, with sub par content in terms of line-up.

You will also need a WOW kind of MMORPG level of devotion and lifestyle to make this sim worth your while due to the nature of a subscription base fee model, unless you can justify only to play it when you feel like it and keep paying the monthly fee. If you don't mind the $20~$13 a month, and don't mind a linear racing structure, then I say dive right in.

All your racing will be done exclusively online. Additional cars other than the two you got from the basic package will need to be purchased and you will not be able to race them until you get to certain level of skill (think of it as level based EQ in MMORPG), but you can test them alone by running test sessions.

Skill levels are based on how clean you drive and how lucky you are. Got hit from behind, spinning your car, driving little off pavement will all contribute to going against you getting to a certain levels to race in other cars. If you think the GT5P penalty frustrates you, this will probably make you want to be "an hero".

The biggest problem is there is NO WAY for anyone to even try the sim out, at this point, to see if this kind of racing is for you. The only way you can find out is to sign up as a full member and then cancel it if you decided not to continue.

It is a great sim, but it is definitely not for most people (even among long time sim players).

Last edited:
you get $60 of iracing money when you subscribe for a year. if you subscribe before the 29th you get $75 of iRacing money. the cars are about $15 tracks are between $15 and $25. Sofar, I've only bought the skip barber, but I haven't raced it online yet. Its much more interesting than the solstice.

I like the penalty system because it encourages clean driving. Also, I've had some pretty aggressive battles with people, and they're all the more scary because we know there will be a penalty to our rating if we make contact. :)
I just signed up for a year subscription yesterday.

Last edited:
So guys, Is this a BETA or full game? I hear you have to pay monthly fee as of right now. Will this game come out with one price tag in the future?

So guys, Is this a BETA or full game? I hear you have to pay monthly fee as of right now. Will this game come out with one price tag in the future?
It's a subscription racing service, thus the monthly fee. iRacing came out of beta* over a month ago, and has just recently received a quiet public launch. A full marketing blitz isn't apparently scheduled until next year.

* - iRacing is still very much evolving, as content is somewhat limited at this point... but it will still spoil you from other sims within a week's time. I still go back to GTR2, rFactor, LFS, etc., but they're just not the same anymore. I'm hooked. :)

Internet connection, download and upload speed.

Download: 15Mbps
Upload: 512Kbps

I guess the internet connection is not as slow as I thought.
Is this fast enough for iRacing?
Where can I find the recommended computer specs for this game, sim?

Attachments

• snelheid.JPG
    snelheid.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
If you want to run w/ all teh bells and whistles on, you'll need a high end system.

I'd recommend: Athlon x2 4600+ or equivalent CPU, 2 gigs ddr2 ram, and a 9600GT to run it with most settings on, I don't know about shadows.

I just run with everything turned on w/ my current pc and I haven't checked myself, but others say that Shadows on cut framerates in half because they haven't been optimized.
-------------------------------------
System Requirements
- Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
- 128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
- 1 GB system RAM
- 3Gb free hard disk space
- Steering wheel and pedals required
- Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Last edited:
That was outside of my imagination for cars to be in iRacing.

i wonder if they saw the success of rfactor's 1979 F1 mod as an inspiration to go ahead and do this? Heck, if i had to choose only 1 car from that era, it would probably be the lotus too

also, implimenting that car into the game w/ it's ground effects will maybe push the physics a bit further. I hope for more realistic damage, maybe wheels/wings being lost too. In the solstice, sometimes a light tap screws up the steering.

One of America's most historic road courses, Sebring International Raceway, is now available to all members of iRacing.com. Sebring is the first of three Panoz Motor Sports Group facilities that will be offered to iRacing members.

Built on the site of a World War II bomber pilot-training base in Central Florida, Sebring has since 1952 been host to an annual, 12-Hour sportscar endurance race. The facility includes three configurations, the 3.7-mile circuit used for the Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring round of the International Motor Sports Association's American Le Mans Series, as well as the shorter test loop and the club circuit. All three configurations are available to iRacers for $25.

Tradition hangs in the air at Sebring like the scent of the neighboring citrus groves, and if iRacing's version of the track were any more authentic, you could walk next door and pick the oranges.

http://iracing.com/newsEvents/index.php

Hehe, you could do that internet job I posted about in gtplanet. sofar nobody has signed up under me. Most of the money from my real job goes towards family and real car and school stuff. and then i use the internet job for games and gas money.

Well ive done a 1'03.3 for qualify with Solice @ limerock
And ive done a PB of 1'39.2 for Skippy @ laguna, about to qualify soon, hoping to get a 1'38.xxx.

What sorta times you guys running?

Chevy Silverado was added today as well as Phoenix International Raceway and Infineon IRL2 configuration. The Late model has been re-branded the Monte Carlo SS late model.
There's been various updates and improvements to the UI and physics as well of various cars. Surround sound has improved, pitting has been added as well as full-course cautions.

I still haven't tried the Silverado yet, and I'm waiting for opinions of the car before I buy it :0. I really should be studying instead of sim racing right now. :nervous:

iRacing
The Radical SR8 now has wing drag and rear downforce closer to what is "correct" based on our limited data from Radical UK. Body downforce is higher and the drag induced by the rear wing is less of an issue at higher speeds. I think it still might need a slight tweak to get the balance better, but it's much improved as it stands now.

The Formula Mazda now has much more appropriate drag and downforce available in both front and rear wings. You shouldn't need to run 13° front and rear wing angle at all tracks, all the time. The total difference in top speed from running minimum wing to maximum wing is now 8 mph, which should give a much better opportunity to have widely varying setups without any one having the absolute upper hand. This change will be released in a separate update at the end of this week.

The car no longer slides slowly across the ground while stopped, and the auto brake when stopped operates better.

The engine can now be damaged by over revving, especially on early downshifts. There also may be very rare engine failures even without significant abuse, so don't feel too bad if your engine gives up (but try not to over rev). Keep an eye on the water and oil temps -- water shouldn't exceed about 220 F, oil shouldn't exceed 240-250 F, or you'll be starting to take chances. Those temps may start to climb if you are spending a lot of time in the draft.
this is some of it. There's engine damage too.

Back