iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Well it looks like we'll be seeing the c6-r in iracing according to a dale jr. interview on speed channel's windtunnel. Now that came out of the blue!

There's a reason why Dale Jr. continues to promote this product and its not money. It's simply the best all-round simracing experience available.

Last night Dale spoke with a couple of iRacers for over an hour about everything sim related.

http://radio.psrtv.com/

yeah the racing is pretty intense. I am busy w/ school and other things, but hopefully I will get a chance to race at bristol for the first time in the trucks tomorrow :). Any of you guys got a decent racing or qualitfying set for bristol?

I went to their site.. and I am still confused about pricing... I know that you pay about 15 bucks a month. And for new tracks you pay as well for new cars ?

So what you get for the 15 bucks a month?

Yearly subscription ($13 a month) includes: Advanced and rookie solstice, Advanced and rookie legends.

Lanier National Speedway
Lime Rock Park
Oxford Plains Speedway
Summit Point Raceway
South Boston Speedway
Lowe's Motor Speedway
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
and all of their configs. and you get $60 of iRacing credits that can be spent on additional cars and tracks.

for monthly= $20 ($20 a month) and given $2.50 iRacing dollars
for 3 months= $50 ($16.60 a month) and given $10.00 iRacing dollars
for 6 months= $90 ( $15.00 a month) and given $25 iracing dollars

additional cars are $15

additional tracks are from $15-$25

Any of you in the US been watching the SCCA Runoffs the last few weeks? If you look closely
magnify.gif
, you may notice some of the cars taking part have iracing.com stickers on the sides.

Any of you in the US been watching the SCCA Runoffs the last few weeks? If you look closely
magnify.gif
, you may notice some of the cars taking part have iracing.com stickers on the sides.

Yup. :)

iracing_solstice.jpg

Also, be sure to check out this vid comparison of Watkins Glen:

It looks like we won't get to drive the Corvette C6-R till spring, according to an official iracing announcement today.
I hope they have a lightly modded road c6 as well, but i'd be happy w/ just the racing version :)
186hx1.jpg

"The iRacing Corvette C6.R is expected to be available to iRacing members before its real-world counterpart makes its final start at the 24 Hours of Le mans, June 13, 2009. "

Last edited:
I just joined yesterday, and hope to get everything setup sometime tonite. I'll need to move my gaming computer over to where I have my PS3 currently hooked up, so that I can use the same racing wheel, seat, etc.

I just tried it out briefly last night, with my wheel attached to my regular computer desk. I finally got to the point where I was getting somewhat consistent laps in the Star Mazda at Laguna Seca. Hopefully I can put up some competitive lap times, once I've got the computer mated to my racing setup.

I haven't even tried racing online yet, as I want to make sure I'm competitive first. Once I've learned all the new tracks, I look forward to hopefully racing some of you online soon.

Finally, I'm kind of suprised that more people aren't interested in this game. I understand the price of admission is a little high, but as long as you have a decent PC, its not too bad. Once I've tried out the online racing, I'll decide whether its worth it or not.

I just joined yesterday, and hope to get everything setup sometime tonite. I'll need to move my gaming computer over to where I have my PS3 currently hooked up, so that I can use the same racing wheel, seat, etc.

I just tried it out briefly last night, with my wheel attached to my regular computer desk. I finally got to the point where I was getting somewhat consistent laps in the Star Mazda at Laguna Seca. Hopefully I can put up some competitive lap times, once I've got the computer mated to my racing setup.

I haven't even tried racing online yet, as I want to make sure I'm competitive first. Once I've learned all the new tracks, I look forward to hopefully racing some of you online soon.

Finally, I'm kind of suprised that more people aren't interested in this game. I understand the price of admission is a little high, but as long as you have a decent PC, its not too bad. Once I've tried out the online racing, I'll decide whether its worth it or not.

I joined Sunday and ran a few laps. It's the 1st racing sim I've played where there wasn't in-game play tutorials as far as when to brake and the correct line around the track. It's definitely a sim. The 1st few laps at Leguna Seca were a little frustrating, but as with anything you poke around and you can find the help you need.

I was a little impatient and jumped into a race to see what it was like. And what did I do? Smack a guy in the rear end on the 1st corner. I felt like an idiot. From the two races I have ran it's very obvious people respect each other. Contact between cars is not common at all. Very different than every other sim I have played. The drivers aren't very aggressive which is a good thing.

I got some practicing to do. Maybe I'll see some of you on.

Rob Dutton

I just read on the website of Frex that the SimConMotion will be compatible with iRacing.

Frex
SimConMOTION

Supported Sim Racing titles:
Grand Prix Legends, F1 Challenge, GTR, GTR2, Live For Speed, Race, Race07, GTR Evolution, SCTT, GT Legends and rFactor. Currently working in progress driver for iRacing.

Source: http://www.frex.com/gp/ click on "SimConMOTION" and the following text.

Yeah, i think i may buy the COT. It'll be fun to race an 800hp beast on roadcourses :). or maybe the radical or prototype... We wont have the prototype available for another week, but the COT will be ready tomorrow, iirc.

Last edited:
It looks like if you sign up here, you'll get a free month of iRacing w/ the radical along w/ default tracks/cars + silverstone. I'm not quite sure though...

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing
Yep, just signed up for this and got it downloaded yesterday. As well as the Radical and Silverstone, you also get the basic content.

Tried out the rookie Solstice at Lime Rock (chicane) for a few laps and it just feels so right. It drives exactly the way you would expect it to (feels heavy and doesn't have a great deal of power) and it certainly doesn't feel like a game. I got a best lap of 1'10.6xx, but I bet that's rubbish... I then tried the full track (unchicaned) and got a best of 1'06.something.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it on after the free month has elapsed, as I feel it could get expensive (just bought a house and I'm on an extremely limited budget), and I'm not sure I could devote the time that it so clearly needs (for me to get any good at it...)

I would, however, urge anyone who is serious about sim racing to try it out.

yeah, i havent raced in over 2 weeks because I've been so busy w/ life... and I dont even have any kids or a house to pay for haha.

I'm looking to try it when I get a good enough PC especially when I ran this video next to a real life lap in the same car

However I've been watching a few more vids and some seem like I'm watching Race Pro:

It makes me feel a little apprehensive, as although I don't have much knowledge of formula mazdas a lot of the braking and in particular sliding seems slightly unrealistic. This is all relative anyway since I'd need a much better PC to even think about fully subscribing.

It makes me feel a little apprehensive, as although I don't have much knowledge of formula mazdas a lot of the braking and in particular sliding seems slightly unrealistic. This is all relative anyway since I'd need a much better PC to even think about fully subscribing.

Sliding around is pretty normal for grass roots open wheelers. They have very little downforce and grip compared to more advanced open wheelers such as Formula 3, GP2 and quite obviously Formula 1 cars.

Oh yeah no doubt, I've seen FFords go around but there's just something in that second vid that doesn't look "real"....or maybe it's just me.

Here's a better example:

http://blip.tv/file/1041065

I dunno, I get the tyres will have more slip but it just seems from a spectating standpoint with the telemetry close to a lap in a much less hardcore sim.

Yep, just signed up for this and got it downloaded yesterday. As well as the Radical and Silverstone, you also get the basic content.

Tried out the rookie Solstice at Lime Rock (chicane) for a few laps and it just feels so right. It drives exactly the way you would expect it to (feels heavy and doesn't have a great deal of power) and it certainly doesn't feel like a game. I got a best lap of 1'10.6xx, but I bet that's rubbish... I then tried the full track (unchicaned) and got a best of 1'06.something.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it on after the free month has elapsed, as I feel it could get expensive (just bought a house and I'm on an extremely limited budget), and I'm not sure I could devote the time that it so clearly needs (for me to get any good at it...)

I would, however, urge anyone who is serious about sim racing to try it out.

Those times arent too bad im good for low - mid 1'03's on the full version which are around the top times (gods do high 1'02 somehow). Before you know it you will be in the low - high 1'04s and able to win many races.

I noticed Mr Greger "alien" Huttu at the top of the lists. I remember seeing his name form the GPL days, and getting nowhere near his times then either...

I've tried the other 2 cars I got, the Radical and the Legend, and I didn't like either of them. The Legend is very, very twitchy, and the Radical just seems to make iRacing feel like a game.

At this point, I've set my subscription not to renew and I can't really see that changing. It was good to try it, and it's a brilliant concept, but I don't think it's for me.

It looks like if you sign up here, you'll get a free month of iRacing w/ the radical along w/ default tracks/cars + silverstone. I'm not quite sure though...

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing

Thanks about link Pal... I hope I get that code soon.

I'm just going to go and buy gaming-laptop. Do you think this machine is enough for this game today, and hopefully in future too.

http://www.acer.fi/acer/product.do?...hangedAlts=&kcond5e.c2att92=17&CRC=3508704899 +choose Aspire-model 5930...

( there is in my local PC-store only older 5920 model, but it's almost same, and lowered price is 629€. Is it good price/quality anybody know...? )

I found specs of that older 5920 also:

15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite
Intel Centrino 2 Duo T7300
NVidia GeForce 8600M-GS 256MB
2048MB (2*1024) DDR2
250GB harddrive
DVD-RW SuperMulti
WLAN 802.11a/b/g
Dolby Home Theater
CrystalEye webcamera
HDMI, Firewire, S-video, Infrared

Windows Vista Home Premium fin,swe,uk
Weight: 3.0kg
(LxSxK): 364 x 270.2 x 43.7 mm

Last edited:
I keep running into Gran Turismo alumni on iRacing, so I thought I'd update this thread with reviews.

Every review say's the physics are the best available today. It's expensive, but if you're looking for an amazing online sim, this is it. Tons of real world drivers on it. Dale Earnhardt Jr, AJ Almendinger, Justin Wilson, Bobby Labonte, Marcos Ambrose, Martin Truex Jr., Jacques Villenueve, Alex Ardoin and the list goes on and on.

Plus, many sim racing legends like Gregger Huttu, Richard Towler, Volker Hackman, etc.

Many of these reviews are 9 months old. iRacing is subscription, so they've added a ton of new features, cars, tracks since these reviews. Updates every 3 months. They have Yellows, Spotters, saveable replays now and a bunch of new stuff.

===================================

Review 1 (recent)

Sim of the Year Part Two

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/sim-of-the-year-part-deux/a-20090127151623381072

...Dave Kaemmer’s online racing magnum opus opened its servers to the public last August (with some financial help from Boston Red Sox owner John Henry) and quickly developed into the go-to place for serious sim racers. The pay-to-play service—which features stunningly accurate laser scanned tracks like Laguna Seca, Daytona, and Sebring—attracts legions of dedicated sim racing hobbyists driving alongside a who’s who of real world racing luminaries like NASCAR superstar Dale Earnhardt Jr., F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve, and IndyCar racer Justin Wilson.

I have no wish to malign Codemasters’ or GRID’s achievement but, speaking on behalf of all hardcore sim racers with a force feedback wheel and pedal setup permanently attached to their desktops, I hereby award an alternate Best Racing medal to iRacing.com for its invaluable and unrivaled contribution to sport of PC sim racing.

Review 2 (opps RSC is down for a while)

RaceSimCentral review by Tony Rickard

iRacing really is the “next GPL”, with the one caveat of increased cost this is the online sim that really should bring sim racers together and provide a route in for new drivers. The lack of AI, modding and the fact the racing is regulated means it won’t be all things to all people but for those looking for the best racing simulation with sanctioned online races then they need look no further.

==================================================

Review 3

AutoSimSport Magazine's Vol 4 Issue 3 (Link is to archive section. See also Vol 4 issue's 2 and 1 for very thorough iRacing interviews)

Nice 20 page review. You'll need to download the PDF to read it.

"Digital Cocaine -

The iRacing team has created a masterpiece. The magnitude of the achievement of this team really hit home for me the first time I drove the Skippy car at VIR. Flicking the car through those high speed esses, hurling it through the fast sweeper in turn 10, power sliding out of the Oak Tree bend, all of it was thrilling. It's hard to believe a simulation can feel this authentic, so amazingly like the real thing.

This similation is astonishing. I've gone back to other sims briefly as a point of reference, and frankly, iRacing has ruined me for anything else. The previous state of the art sims seem toylike, cartoonish.

Review 4

SimHQ Motorsports Review - Click here

The Racing

The racing, no doubt, is where this sim shines brighter than anything else for PC or console I can think of.

For die-hard sim racers this is as close to reality as it is currently going to get.

#5 Grassroots Magazine Video Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EK4ykqtdi4

#6 SRT's Video Preview

SRT's Preview's video preview - Click Here

====================================

Last edited:
Since I'm seeing a ton of Gran Turismo alumni on iRacing I figured maybe others would be interested too.

A 30 day free trial is available here with a Radical http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing
and here with a Star Mazda http://www.starmazda.com/newdriver/series.htm

Great use of your G25 wheel and pedals... :-)

Every review say's the physics are the best available today. It's expensive, but if you're looking for an amazing online sim, this is it. Tons of real world drivers on it. Dale Earnhardt Jr, AJ Almendinger, Justin Wilson, Bobby Labonte, Marcos Ambrose, Martin Truex Jr., Jacques Villenueve, Alex Ardoin and the list goes on and on.

Plus, many sim racing legends like Gregger Huttu, Richard Towler, Volker Hackman, etc.

Many of these reviews are 9 months old. iRacing is subscription, so they've added a ton of new features, cars, tracks since these reviews. Updates every 3 months. They have Yellows, Spotters, saveable replays now and a bunch of new stuff.

Review 1 (recent)

Sim of the Year Part Two

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/sim-of-the-year-part-deux/a-20090127151623381072

...Dave Kaemmer’s online racing magnum opus opened its servers to the public last August (with some financial help from Boston Red Sox owner John Henry) and quickly developed into the go-to place for serious sim racers. The pay-to-play service—which features stunningly accurate laser scanned tracks like Laguna Seca, Daytona, and Sebring—attracts legions of dedicated sim racing hobbyists driving alongside a who’s who of real world racing luminaries like NASCAR superstar Dale Earnhardt Jr., F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve, and IndyCar racer Justin Wilson.

I have no wish to malign Codemasters’ or GRID’s achievement but, speaking on behalf of all hardcore sim racers with a force feedback wheel and pedal setup permanently attached to their desktops, I hereby award an alternate Best Racing medal to iRacing.com for its invaluable and unrivaled contribution to sport of PC sim racing.

Review 2 (opps RSC is down for a while)

RaceSimCentral review by Tony Rickard

iRacing really is the “next GPL”, with the one caveat of increased cost this is the online sim that really should bring sim racers together and provide a route in for new drivers. The lack of AI, modding and the fact the racing is regulated means it won’t be all things to all people but for those looking for the best racing simulation with sanctioned online races then they need look no further.

==================================================

Review 3

AutoSimSport Magazine's Vol 4 Issue 3 (Link is to archive section. See also Vol 4 issue's 2 and 1 for very thorough iRacing interviews)

Nice 20 page review. You'll need to download the PDF to read it.

"Digital Cocaine -

The iRacing team has created a masterpiece. The magnitude of the achievement of this team really hit home for me the first time I drove the Skippy car at VIR. Flicking the car through those high speed esses, hurling it through the fast sweeper in turn 10, power sliding out of the Oak Tree bend, all of it was thrilling. It's hard to believe a simulation can feel this authentic, so amazingly like the real thing.

This similation is astonishing. I've gone back to other sims briefly as a point of reference, and frankly, iRacing has ruined me for anything else. The previous state of the art sims seem toylike, cartoonish.

Review 4

SimHQ Motorsports Review - Click here

The Racing

The racing, no doubt, is where this sim shines brighter than anything else for PC or console I can think of.

For die-hard sim racers this is as close to reality as it is currently going to get.

#5 Grassroots Magazine Video Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EK4ykqtdi4

#6 SRT's Video Preview

SRT's Preview's video preview - Click Here

====================================

Last edited:
Back