iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Got in just in time to download the update then it went down again. I wont be able to play around with it till late tonight.

EDIT: Got a chance to try out the Holden round barber and to be honest it handles alot like the Ford did.

Last edited:
Is everything back up and running ?
Still got a couple of hours of work left, then a couple of hours of family time and then I'm finally good to go...hopefully iRacing is too :)

Tried my DK2. Not too impressed. Should be good for lapping the Ring, otherwise I'll probably stick to my triples for racing.

To each his own of course, but I am HIGHLY impressed other than the lack of positional tracking which should arrive in an incremental update, or at worst in six weeks with the S1 build.

I think it's great for close racing, and gives a true sense of immersion.

Resolution is still too low for some people, but it's MUCH better than DK1 and most people on the iRacing forums are saying it's good enough for them to race with now.

To each his own of course, but I am HIGHLY impressed other than the lack of positional tracking which should arrive in an incremental update, or at worst in six weeks with the S1 build.

Resolution is still too low for some people, but it's MUCH better than DK1 and most people on the iRacing forums are saying it's good enough for them to race with now.
Ive never tried a rift before but from what ive seen from videos of DK2 the res just isnt there yet. DK3 and i bet it'll be higher res to the point where its a good option instead of triples.

The one time tried an Oculus Rift, I got dizzy after a few turns. Was a really really strange experience. I guess I have to wait for the HD resolution versions to come out.

It's already out, the DK2 is 1920x1080 and is MUCH better than the original one you tried.

The consumer version is due out some time in the next 6-12 months (no official date announced) and is expected to be higher resolution, in the 2560x1440 range.

Also the motion sickness/dizziness has been nearly eliminated now, and will be even further improved in the consumer version next year.

Same. It's more than clear enough to race with and see. DK2 is rough if you're not used to the resolution, but monitors are also rough if you're used to the immersion DK2 brings. Neither is even close to perfect.

Good enough for me to set a new personal record with the Star Mazda at MoSports. And that's with me butchering a couple sections (been quite some time since I've played it). I can easily chop another second off before I risk hitting a time wall again.

It's not going to make an alien any faster, but for people who struggled translating real world driving onto a screen, it'll make you faster and the cars make a lot more sense (so you're also more consistent and are able to correct mistakes before it's too late).

I always assumed "seat of the pants" was purely the tactile feedback you got, but a lot of it's visual clues for me. The Rift greatly enhances sub-conscious clues I was never able to pick up on a monitor.

The one time tried an Oculus Rift, I got dizzy after a few turns. Was a really really strange experience. I guess I have to wait for the HD resolution versions to come out.
It's not really the resolution that makes people dizzy, it's when the picture moves wrong. As of right now - rotating head left/right/up/down feels fine. Add body movement (like leaning to the side/forward) and it's off. The latter isn't a big deal for racing.

My reservations are mostly about how safe would it be to race with it. It may be okay if one's braking/turning points aren't very precise (or iRacing goes with variable weather, so precise braking points are useless anyway).

Also, in a multi-class setting car visibility is very poor, you'd be glued to F3 box. You couldn't make out what car is in front of you until you're like a second or two behind you. And seeing anything out of your rearview mirrors is even worse. I was running 24hrs of Fun #4 yesterday in the SRF and if I didn't look at F3, then I could hear what's coming up behind before I could identify it in the mirrors. So, on-track awareness, which is a huge part of multi-class racing, is gonna be very much reduced compared to a triple-screen setup.

Also, if you enjoy looking at other people's paints while on the track - forget it, you could only see it when you're about to run into them, or following like .2 seconds behind.

So, all-in-all, it's fun and I'm gonna use it for lapping the Ring in different cars. I'm keeping my triples for now. I'm not convinced CV1 is gonna be a huge upgrade, I new feel like to properly replace the triples it would have to be 4K resolution per eye.

Also, in a multi-class setting car visibility is very poor, you'd be glued to F3 box. You couldn't make out what car is in front of you until you're like a second or two behind you. And seeing anything out of your rearview mirrors is even worse. I was running 24hrs of Fun #4 yesterday in the SRF and if I didn't look at F3, then I could hear what's coming up behind before I could identify it in the mirrors. So, on-track awareness, which is a huge part of multi-class racing, is gonna be very much reduced compared to a triple-screen setup.

Also, if you enjoy looking at other people's paints while on the track - forget it, you could only see it when you're about to run into them, or following like .2 seconds behind.

So, all-in-all, it's fun and I'm gonna use it for lapping the Ring in different cars. I'm keeping my triples for now. I'm not convinced CV1 is gonna be a huge upgrade, I new feel like to properly replace the triples it would have to be 4K resolution per eye.

4K resolution per eye? Have fun waiting until 2019 or later for something like that. Right now, even if SLI worked right in iRacing, Tri-SLI GTX980's couldn't run 4K resolution per eye + warping + rendering two targets, no way, especially not at the 90+FPS needed. The DK2 has 100% (double) the pixel count that DK1 had, the consumer version which is rumored to be 2560x1440 will be 1.7x the resolution, another major jump (70% more). The difference in clarity from DK1 to DK2 is huge. 90% of people (maybe more) said racing was impossible with DK1, from the initial impressions I've seen, that's down to about 25-30%. I think the "small" increase in resolution for the CV1 will make that number drop further down to about 10%.

For me seeing cool paints on the other cars isn't a big deal. When we are side by side racing through a corner, that makes it all worth it, it's an awesome experience.

Car visibility is very poor? Kinda like real life huh? We've been spoiled by things like F3 and using the Rift comes much closer to what a real driver sees. Of course we have a restricted FOV compared to real life, and you can't see things in your mirrors that are far away, but I find the mirrors very usable, even for multi-class and/or heavy traffic (oval) racing.

Just my opinions, but I think if you give it some time and actually try racing with it, you'll see that it's not as bad as you think it will be.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's definitely a different experience compared with open wheelers. I drove the Mazda and you have some blind spots (where you should have them). That definitely makes you rely on your spotter, but honestly, VR also gives that car some strong personality. Never been a fan of that car, but it's actually pretty cool in VR.

4K per eye is where I think VR would be on par clarity-wise with a good triple-screen setup of today.
Car visibility is very poor? Kinda like real life huh?
Drivers in real life get paid to suffer through those conditions, or they suffer given the expectations/delusions of being paid in the future. I/We do this for fun, idgaf what is "real", poor visibility is not fun for me.

Another personal issue is comfort in the DK2 while wearing glasses, I'm gonna go refresh my contacts prescription.

Pretty good build, tire model continues to take a step in the right direction, however I feel the load on the front tires under heavy braking, etc is a bit much now, understeer seems to occur quite a bit in corners with heavy braking (Such as Turn 1 at Watkins Glen). Even after the brake is released, the car insists on understeering all the way out past the apex and sometimes even past the exit. This gradually starts to go away as the tires warm up. Racing tires obviously need to be up to proper operating temperature to work properly, but even cold tires shouldn't be this bad. This is from the release notes, and I believe this is what I'm experiencing..

Tire Model

- The tire tread band yaw response has been improved, and is much better at low speeds, and when stopped. Now while at very low speeds the steering will feel heavy because you are trying to turn the tread but it is not able to roll enough to relax that motion. You should be able to feel the difference in higher and lower pressures much more at low speeds now. The tire will feel different even up to 80 mph, where the new low speed code approaches the old model.

A quote from Christian Szymczak on the iRacing forums sums up my other small gripe with the new tire model quite well.

Christian Szymczak
A characteristic I've noticed about the tires, and this goes for 2014S3 as well, is that the amount of fall off you get from overworking the tire seems a bit exaggerated. In all of the cars I've driven, entering the corners aggressively by too much wheel input or hitting the brakes to hard, the front tires immediately fall off and lose a good amount of grip when confronted with more than the can handle. As a result this requires a kind of finesse driving to keep from overworking the tire. Not that I don't like that, but the amount and rapidity at which the tire loses grip seems exaggerated.

Real tires will exhibit this characteristic, but it's not as extreme. For example of you slide the crap out of them, they will overheat and need to brought back to a good operating temp. But to more "ordinary' aggressive driving, in my experience, they don't get overworked to the point of losing grip.

Oh ya the Formula Festival Road Warrior series is crazy, the Star Mazda is 20 seconds a lap faster around Brands than the Skippy is :P

How do you shift the display boxes on screen again, cant remember how to do it ?
And there is a way to do a private text to a particular driver while in a session ? I cant remember how to do that too :dopey:
Cheers

After a few days of getting angry in the Holden I've finnaly started to get the hang of it. It feels 90% like the old ford except just a tiny bit better. Bathurst isnt the greatest place to test a new car but I've got my fastest time down to a 2.08.6 but my optimal is a 2.06 which is frustrating, after the dipper and through forests elbow i seem to lose sooo much time.

There's something wrong with the tires when the pace car starts to move on the ovals. As soon as people started moving, the field started sliding down the banked straight at Michigan. It was a hairy start and hilarious.

-ASROCK H81M-VG4 LGA1150
-Intel Core i3 4130 3.4Ghz 3Mb LGA1150
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 1Gb GDDR5 HDMI
- 8Gb 1x8Gb DDR3
-Western Digital Blue 500Gb 7200RPM Sata 3 6Gb/s

can i run it max setting ? thank you for your help :)

EDIT: Got a chance to try out the Holden round barber and to be honest it handles alot like the Ford did.
I am extremely dissapointed by the Holden! There just is no chance in hell a race car will drive like that, specially in a Top Tier series like the V8 Super Cars!

Yea im not that happy with it either. 2nd gear is really weird to get the power down because sometimes it just spins the tires up while other times it doesnt.

Why would it drive much differently to the Falcon? The key part of the car is the rear diff welded solid. It _should_ be a super-tough car to handle. It doesn't want to turn until you break inside rear traction, and it will spin out if you apply too much power too soon, since it cannot reroute extra power to the rear wheel with more traction.
That said, it turns in much better than the Falcon.
Top GT3 drivers who didn't use TC should be able to get decent times in it, since the key to a good lap time is going on throttle early. Personally, I'm struggling after spending way too much time in the SRF, where you can pretty much floor it before the apex and turn out competitive times. It's gonna be a challenge getting within a second of top times.

I've kinda tried to adapt my driving style to what I've seen in the V8 races when they do the footcam. They really feed the power in quite slow and gradually sometimes and around Okayama on that uphill right you really are feeding it for along time before you get full throttle but its alot of fun. Slightly modified a bathurst setup to higher rollcenters and it was a blast around there, really manageable but still tricky, definitely no point and go like the GT3s are now.

I've kinda tried to adapt my driving style to what I've seen in the V8 races when they do the footcam. They really feed the power in quite slow and gradually sometimes and around Okayama on that uphill right you really are feeding it for along time before you get full throttle but its alot of fun. Slightly modified a bathurst setup to higher rollcenters and it was a blast around there, really manageable but still tricky, definitely no point and go like the GT3s are now.

Sounds a lot like driving an Auto GP car!

Latest Posts

Back