Is the original CM Dirt worth buying?

• Thread starter Porta555
  • 51 comments
England
Dudley
GTPorter-
Hey, I desperately need a new rally game on PS3, and having played both Dirt 2 & 3, I was wondering if I should try the original. Are the physics close to the two, and also are the stages long? I may also consider WRC3, but I remember it being very twitchy and arcade-y in the demo with a controller :confused:. Thanks in advance. :cheers:

WRC4 is the best proper rally game at the moment. WRC3 was good but 4 improves on it in every area.

Dirt 1 is quite good, probably my favorite of the Dirt games, mainly because it has really good rally content, nice selection of rally cars and some cool stages.

I agree, Dirt is my favourite of the three because while the physics aren't great, they're not great in 2 or 3 either. Stages are narrow (I can't remember the length), unlike Dirt 3's, there's a lot of variety in the cars (big rigs and raid trucks are great fun) and Pikes Peak is in there, albeit split into a few separate stages (might only be two, might be more). Dirt is the one I keep coming back to every few months to put some more progression into the career, Dirt 3 lost me after I realised I'd never complete the career properly without buying the DLC. I always forget I have Dirt 2, though, because I don't have it on Steam.

WRC 4 is great though, I haven't tried 3 or 4 with a pad on PS3 but I'm pretty sure I heard 4 was improved in that respect. It doesn't have the Group B or historic cars that WRC 3 had, however.

Yeah 4 is nice on a pad, feels almost like RBR did on the PS2 pads. What it lacks in those historical cars though it makes up for in the vastly better career mode.

I bought the game for the Pikes Peak track alone. I regret nothing. Great car and track selection, albeit somewhat wonky physics (but you'll get used to it).

As others have already said, DiRT is well worth it - be aware though that online was shut down ages ago. But those truck races up Pike's Peak, great fun.

I initially bought Dirt 3 then, 2 and finally got Dirt... I went backwards... and Dirt still good enough!!! I'm an xbox360 console user so I can't get WRC :( Wish I could... love RALLY!!!

I saw that a couple of weeks ago but I'm in the USA. :( Do you know when it will be available in the USA?
WRC 3 is the only game so far that got distributed in the US - you can still buy them from the UK though. I did some checking and I saw that some games are indeed region locked on the 360. I also saw a link to ways to circumvent that.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but my experience is with the PS3 which has no region-locks, so I've never had to deal with that kind of situation except on a DvD player - which was easy enough to get around.

Best of luck, eh.

WRC 3 is the only game so far that got distributed in the US - you can still buy them from the UK though. I did some checking and I saw that some games are indeed region locked on the 360. I also saw a link to ways to circumvent that.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but my experience is with the PS3 which has no region-locks, so I've never had to deal with that kind of situation except on a DvD player - which was easy enough to get around.

Best of luck, eh.

Thanks!

Just a little question for the people that own the original DiRT as I'm thinking about getting DiRT just like the OP ;
Are you guys bothered by the weird shifting in the game? Or does this only occure when automatic shifting option is engaged?
And with weird shifting I mean the strange sound en rev behaviour of the cars. like they're all fitted with CVT tranmissions or something..

It's been a while, so I'll need to load the game and see. I use manual, but I'll try both. Maybe someone will reply before then, but I should have an answer in a few hours when I can get to the console.

Last edited:
Okay, not sure if it's like a CVT tranmission or not, but manual does sound very odd and behaves almost like there is too much transmission fluid in there (muffling the sound and feeling.) Automatic (there is no semi-auto...it's an old game) doesn't sound or act much differently, though it does give you more control over the torque and the engine will slow you down more effectively than manual.

If you are one of the many on GTP who feel sound is very important, then it might well bug you - check on a few YouTube vids first, if so. That sort of thing doesn't bother me too much, but some it might. On the plus side, the game does have a variety of surfaces (no snow though) and is fun but nowhere near Richard Burns Rally.

Thanks for the effort @MeanElf ,really appriciate it!
I will definitely look into some clips to decide upon wether to buy it or not.

And yes, I'm a bit of a sound suck up :D

I agree, Dirt is my favourite of the three because while the physics aren't great, they're not great in 2 or 3 either. Stages are narrow (I can't remember the length), unlike Dirt 3's, there's a lot of variety in the cars (big rigs and raid trucks are great fun) and Pikes Peak is in there, albeit split into a few separate stages (might only be two, might be more). Dirt is the one I keep coming back to every few months to put some more progression into the career, Dirt 3 lost me after I realised I'd never complete the career properly without buying the DLC. I always forget I have Dirt 2, though, because I don't have it on Steam.

WRC 4 is great though, I haven't tried 3 or 4 with a pad on PS3 but I'm pretty sure I heard 4 was improved in that respect. It doesn't have the Group B or historic cars that WRC 3 had, however.

OK, I'm really late to the party here. How good is WRC exactly? I think I read some short reviews, saying the game looks very dull, and the cars are twitchy, even though they did praise the physics.

Is it a proper rally sim? Even if it isn't, should I add it to my collection? I love rallying, and I love sims. I hope it's not the Race Pro version of console rally, cos' even though RP is a brilliant sim, it looks and feels terrible on consoles.

WRC isn't a proper rally sim, if you are looking for that pick up richard burns rally. It might be 10 years old but it is an amazing sim. It is very hard though and takes a while to get even half decent at it. It is worth it though, as it really does create that edge of seat racing where one slip and its game over.

WRC is more like your f1 type game on the sim scale. Not a sim but has okay physics that you can enjoy. WRC 3 or 4 have narrow stages that are roughly 4-5 min long which is the major improvement from the first 2. The first 2 aren't worth considering.

OK, I'm really late to the party here. How good is WRC exactly? I think I read some short reviews, saying the game looks very dull, and the cars are twitchy, even though they did praise the physics.

Is it a proper rally sim? Even if it isn't, should I add it to my collection? I love rallying, and I love sims. I hope it's not the Race Pro version of console rally, cos' even though RP is a brilliant sim, it looks and feels terrible on consoles.
The first two WRC titles looked distinctly PS2 and there was twitchiness in there - but once you got into it, they were anything but dull.

WRC 3 and 4 though leapt massively, with respect to the visuals and handling. I can't say about any comparison with Race pro, as I've not played that, but if you like rallying, like you say, then WRC3 and 4 are the biz.

Ah, sorry! I meant WRC4 only. So I should ignore the reviews and get it then? I've been really longing for a WRC game with good physics, sounds and visuals that has a proper rally career progression, much like the actual season. Up until now, there were none in my sight for the X360.

So I'm adding it to my cart then, yeh?

WRC isn't a proper rally sim, if you are looking for that pick up richard burns rally. It might be 10 years old but it is an amazing sim. It is very hard though and takes a while to get even half decent at it. It is worth it though, as it really does create that edge of seat racing where one slip and its game over.

WRC is more like your f1 type game on the sim scale. Not a sim but has okay physics that you can enjoy. WRC 3 or 4 have narrow stages that are roughly 4-5 min long which is the major improvement from the first 2. The first 2 aren't worth considering.

Great, that helps. RBR, is it available on X360? Aside from the physics, how dated are the visuals or sounds? Dated visuals, maybe I can live with. In the sound department, it has to shine.

You are talking ps2 era so it is dated. It is not available for the x360. It is best to get on a pc and use the mods for up to date season and some interesting courses (pikes peak).

Best to check youtube gameplay videos before you make your decision.

...So I'm adding it to my cart then, yeh?.
Sorry, long work day and then sleep intervened. The reviews for all of Milestone's WRC games have been unkind, with the possible exception of Alan Boiston of Team VVV - well, he did some glowing stuff for WRC 3 but his focus has gone more toward F1 racing now, so no real vids for WRC 4.

The players on this site all pretty much enjoyed it though, if you look at the WRC 4 thread. There is a proper career structure, but unfortunately no Group B historic stuff this time around. I don't think you'll be disappointed though, well, maybe with the engine sounds...but I didn't find them to be disturbing in any way, not like the first two.

Last edited:
I don't care much for what's missing. Visuals should be pleasing, but most important to me are physics and engine sounds/race or rally effects.

I can't remember how it was with the first GRID but playing the second one again recently it reminded me how limited it was on tracks/layouts. In particularly rally, there was something like 9 countries but each one only had one, long unique stage that either got divided into two shorter stages or run in reverse. Even for other events tracks were limited, London for example was basically just one rallycross stage with a few slight variations. Get's very boring after a few events.

I remember Dirt had Pikes Peak which was great fun in the old 80s cars with crazy power, and I think it had much more unique stages in general.

Dirt 3 of course just went Ken Block Gymkhana crazy. Shame that there indeed aren't many rallying options out there these days. I would love CM to go back to producing games in the style of the old CMR rally games but I doubt they will, now they no longer use his name since his unfortunate death.

Back