Is this PC suitable for gaming?

• Thread starter JohnD3
  • 10 comments
Canada
Newfoundland
xix-johnny3
I found this PC on a local classifieds site that the guy says is suitable for gaming. I want to be able to play games such as Dirt 3, Battlefield 4, F1 2013, Asetto Corsa at at least 30 fps on High - Ultra settings. I also want to be able to add two other monitors later down the road. Im willing to do upgrades to the PC but as long as I don't have to upgrade expensive parts every year like the GPU or CPU.

Here are the specs

MOBO: MSI 870-G45 ATX
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core w/ Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 4GB
GPU: Power Color Radeon PCS+5770 GDDR5 1GB 128 bit

It also comes with a 22 inch monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. It is listed for $520 CAN.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

That alone, will not do what you want I believe.
Is there a certain part on that list that could be upgraded that could make it meet my expectations or would it be easier just to buy something else? My budget is $700

I'd say buy something else. The biggest drawback is the GPU.

Where are you buying from?

Do you have any current PC parts that you could use? Even keyboard or monitor?

A local classifieds website. Not much else on there now though. Do you think I could build something that meets my requirements and budget?

Not trying to be funny here, but if you need to ask these things, would it really be a good idea to get involved in PC gaming? There is a fair amount of tweaking you'll need to do for most games you'll be playing, so a certain level of PC knowledge is the best point to be coming at it from.

Do some research, then come back at it when you feel ready to build your own - the best and cheapest way forward - trust me.

5770 could play Dirt 3 but its not going to like BF4 or triple screens. 5770 is nearly 5 years old and was an entry level gaming card.

You could build a PC from separate used parts if no complete systems are on sale. Since about 2011-12 there's been a glut of CPUs and GPUs released that have got rebranded so lots to choose from. Many GPUs are 3-4 times better than the 5770 in the used $100-150 range or New at $150-220.

Some used bits like
i5 2500k used $150 or i5 3470 for $70/80
motherboard used Z68 $70 or new Z75 asrock mobo for $70
PSU corsair new for $60
1tb HDD new $60
8gb DDR3 used or new is around $70-80 (used to be $30-40 but has gone up recently)
Haf 912 case used for $20
AMD 7950 3GB $100
$480-$540

The Phenom 955 system you list is probably worth $250-350

There's really too many CPU mobo and GPU choices to mention, that's just one path I listed. So many do a similar job as the last 2-3 years have slowed down a lot so things get tweaked slightly and released under a new name.

Last edited:

Do you have any current PC parts that you could use? Even keyboard or monitor?
Yes I do have a few parts actually. I have my dad's old computer that he built himself about 10 years ago. I think the only thing worth salvaging would probably be the case though. I was planning on hooking it up to my tv but a monitor would be a bonus and I would be willing to increase my budget if there was one included into a package deal or something like that. I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse

OP, why limit yourself? Get a hold of more cash and enjoy PC gaming like it's meant to enjoyed: all settings maxed out and getting at least 60 fps or higher. If you're willing to settle for any less, just get a console.

Back