Joey's Focus Thread: Dragon Slayer

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 206 comments
Wait, wheel insurance?

It was part of the deal when I negotiated the pricing for the car. Basically if a rim or tire gets scuffed, bent or anything like that between the time of purchase and 100,000 miles it gets replaced. If I get aftermarket rims they are covered as well as long as I provide a receipt for them.

Apparently the roads in Detroit are that bad.

Good job saving the money and fixing the car yourself. Don't worry about the "subframe" - that's the just radiator core support. Flimsy sheet metal that holds the radiator in place. It's only marginally structural. Despite that, I can't tell whether to be really surprised that you didn't have the dealership fix it, or happy that you were awesome enough to crank on a brand new car yourself.

Apparently the roads in Detroit are that bad.

Yup, and funny enough just about ever automotive brand in the area offers wheel insurance.

Good job saving the money and fixing the car yourself. Don't worry about the "subframe" - that's the just radiator core support. Flimsy sheet metal that holds the radiator in place. It's only marginally structural. Despite that, I can't tell whether to be really surprised that you didn't have the dealership fix it, or happy that you were awesome enough to crank on a brand new car yourself.

I don't know whether to apply "Fixed My Car, Like A Boss" or "New Car is Damaged, Challenge Accepted".

But hey being marginally employed means I have a ton of free time, what else was a I going to do? I figured I would attempt to fix it and if some how I failed miserably then I would give up and go to the dealership.

You'd be surprised at the things that magically break and deform over a car's lifespan. I took the front bumper off my car recently - broke 5 screws and bolts in the process, found some screw missing, found all sorts of dirt in places it shouldn't be, found a crack in my fiberglass bumper. I know what that last one was from but I thought I just scratched the surface, I didn't realize it went all the way through!

Taking these old cars apart I'm always surprised when some project actually goes the way it's supposed to. You're lucky you have a new car!

Thanks.

Ya, putting HID's in non-HID housing is bad all the way around. You don't get any better lighting in front of you and people in oncoming traffic have to look into something with the same intensity as the sun. Even if I wanted to do it, Ford makes it so you can't get HID's in the Focus, if you install HID's the car cuts the power to the lights and they won't work.

Again, I don't think this is true in all cases. I was ahead of my friend's 07 Si that has the same HID kit as I have, and another friend in an AP1 S2000 was next to him, with factory HIDs. You couldn't tell one wasn't factory. They still have the shield blocking the front edge of the bulb, you're just outputting more light off the reflectors, which is exactly what you're doing when you put in a brighter bulb. So tell me how an HID is different.

I'll probably never own another BMW product again, the cost to maintain them is astronomical. I'm sure if I knew more about working on cars it would be a bit easier and a bit cheaper, but I don't and have no desire too. A couple things here and there are good with me but things like swapping a trans holds no interest to me.

Yeah, BMW's are great fun when there running. But when it comes time to replace and repair, its insane. I know classic BMW over in Plano is slightly reasonable. But the older one was crazy mad for money.

Its not everyday you hit a smurf. But is it true that the new Focus's are being manufactured in Europe? They have very European styling going on there. Defenantly built for the WRC.

But thats one beautiful car. I have always liked the Focus, and everytime a newer one comes out, I fall in love.

Last edited:
Good fix Joe. I'd have been banging my head on a wall for denting a brand new car only a few weeks out of the dealership!

Its not everyday you hit a smurf. But is it true that the new Focus's are being manufactured in Europe? They have very European styling going on there. Defenantly built for the WRC.

European styling in Europe? No way! :P

Again, I don't think this is true in all cases. I was ahead of my friend's 07 Si that has the same HID kit as I have, and another friend in an AP1 S2000 was next to him, with factory HIDs. You couldn't tell one wasn't factory. They still have the shield blocking the front edge of the bulb, you're just outputting more light off the reflectors, which is exactly what you're doing when you put in a brighter bulb. So tell me how an HID is different.

It is true in all cases though. HID's scatter the light differently then halogen bulbs and by putting them in reflector housings, you aren't properly controlling the cut off. It comes down to how the light is produced, halogen bulbs use filaments while HID's have an arc. The only way to fix this is aim the lights down more, however this limits the distance the light gets thrown down the road, thus defeating the point of HID's. If it's the look you're going for this method can be ok (barring you really aim them down) but why spend $100 on the look of HID's when you can get eBay bulbs for $10 that'll give you the same look?

And while it may not bother you on the road, it will bother some with the glare. This is why there are no aftermarket, DOT approved, HID kits on the market. The only way to properly do aftermarket HID's is to get Acura projectors and retrofit them into the car's stock housings. This allows for proper control and brightness....however you can still blind someone on a crest since the headlamps won't auto level.

You may never get pulled over for it, and I hope you don't because it's a PITA to deal with lighting issues (voice of experience), but I'd just be careful with it.

But thats one beautiful car. I have always liked the Focus, and everytime a newer one comes out, I fall in love.

👍 Thanks!

The Focus is actually built in Wayne, MI but it was styled and mostly engineered by Ford Europe.

Good fix Joe. I'd have been banging my head on a wall for denting a brand new car only a few weeks out of the dealership!

I was, but in the end I know stuff happens and you just gotta live with it.

Re: Headlights: At least you don't have to pull the bumper off to get enough space around the headlights to change your $130 bulbs. The lights on the GTI are a real pain. It's too bad both went out in the winter when I couldn't do that massive maintenance myself.

Props for fixing all of the stuff on that car yourself though. 👍

So I am having a hard time finding non-off brand wheels that look good on my car or aren't obscenely expensive like the $3,500 set of BBS wheels I found. I've found many off brand styles I like but build quality has me concerned. I'm trying to avoid anything that is gravity cast because I'm sure that's why my wheels on the MINI were so bent out of shape.

So far I've found these wheels that I like and fit, but I question the quality.

18" Zinik Z27, they are low pressure cast which I know is better then high gravity, but still I don't know.
zinik_z27_bsmlci_ci3_l.jpg

The 18"S Zinik Z30's aren't too bad either.
zinik_z30_mba_ci3_l.jpg

I also really like the 17" Borbet BS5's. Borbet seems to be a more recognised name and these wheels aren't made in China like the Zinik's are. They also have the European flair that I like.
bor_bs5_bs_ci3_l.jpg

My final option is to stick with the OEM wheels but paint them black. I think it looks pretty good and really seems to go well with the car, but I'm just looking for some input from others.

FocusShop2.jpg

===

I also have the option of buying a set of Volvo wheels, pretty much any of the car wheels will work on the Focus.

===

I'm still throwing ideas around, I already have my winter tires and rims squared away for the most part barring my buddy still wants to sell me his winter rims off his S60. I'm totally thinking of painting them bright green for the helluva it too :lol:

I like the Borbet's best out of the aftermarket wheels but painting the stockers wouldn't look half bad either... Though I'd go for a direct paint match rather than matte black on them.

I like the Borbet's best out of the aftermarket wheels but painting the stockers wouldn't look half bad either... Though I'd go for a direct paint match rather than matte black on them.

I can't get the paint for the Focus, they stopped making it until Japan becomes less radiated or something. It took me over a month just to get a little tube of touch up paint. I won't be doing matte though, if I were to paint the wheels I'd do quite a bit of clear over them to make them at least gloss black.

I think a euro-style wheel would suit the car properly. Something like OZ, BBS or Borbet or something. I would avoid painting stock wheels - if you can get around it, never modify stock parts because you never know when you might have to sell it in stock form or whatever.

5x108 can be a tricky pattern, but you'd be surprised what is available. But as usual, I think you should wait to buy something until you're prepared to pay for an up-market product, something high quality from a respected brand with a history of performance and quality. They're more expensive, yes, but good things cost money. I could have had my Rex loaded to the gills with cheap parts by now, but I insisted otherwise. It just so happens nobody makes cheap parts, lol, but you get the point.

bbs_cf_maa_ci3_l.jpg

18x8 +40, $380

I think a euro-style wheel would suit the car properly. Something like OZ, BBS or Borbet or something. I would avoid painting stock wheels - if you can get around it, never modify stock parts because you never know when you might have to sell it in stock form or whatever.

5x108 can be a tricky pattern, but you'd be surprised what is available. But as usual, I think you should wait to buy something until you're prepared to pay for an up-market product, something high quality from a respected brand with a history of performance and quality. They're more expensive, yes, but good things cost money. I could have had my Rex loaded to the gills with cheap parts by now, but I insisted otherwise. It just so happens nobody makes cheap parts, lol, but you get the point.

bbs_cf_maa_ci3_l.jpg

18x8 +40, $380

Pretty sure I've suggested these before, and they are still my pick.

That's a good point on the stock wheels Keef.

I do like the CF's but I'm having a hard time finding what they look like on a car. I did price them out though with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I'm looking at about $2,500. The Borbet's with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's are $1,400. I almost like the Borbet's better, but I like that the 18" size of the CF's.

I do like the CF's but I'm having a hard time finding what they look like on a car. I did price them out though with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I'm looking at about $2,500. The Borbet's with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's are $1,400. I almost like the Borbet's better, but I like that the 18" size of the CF's.

Similar to this, but it won't look like you're trying to fake an ST. IMO of course.

ford_focus_st_2012-1440x900.jpg

Ya I can see how they do look similar to the ST's wheels, or at least their concept wheels. I think I need to photoshop them on the car to see how it works.

I can't get the paint for the Focus, they stopped making it until Japan becomes less radiated or something. It took me over a month just to get a little tube of touch up paint. I won't be doing matte though, if I were to paint the wheels I'd do quite a bit of clear over them to make them at least gloss black.

I had a paint shop in my area that could match the factory paint using the paint code, then create some rattle cans for me. That's how I painted the engine bay in my Miata. You might look for a paint shop in your area that can do the same.

Eric.
Why are you wanting 18" wheels on a Focus?

Better tire selection. Plus the Titanium Focus with the handling package comes with 18" rims. I wanted that when I purchased the car but there wasn't one in the area, so I had to do without the larger wheels, summer tires and sport tuned suspension. The dealer could have installed it but it would have been pricey.

I'll probably do a suspension upgrade when Ford Racing gets around to making parts.

R1600Turbo
I had a paint shop in my area that could match the factory paint using the paint code, then create some rattle cans for me. That's how I painted the engine bay in my Miata. You might look for a paint shop in your area that can do the same.

If I go with painting my OEM rims I will investigate it for sure. That never really dawned on me to pursue that. If anything though they can help me with my winter wheels.

That thing that bent isn't the subframe, it just holds the radiator in place.

Have you joined Focal Jet or Focus Fanatics yet? We need more members with 2012's!

Both tires are too expensive. Speed Junkie and I both have experience with Dunlop DZ101 ($536 set) and Kumho SPT ($572 set) and can tell you that they're excellent tires for both performance and quality in their performance category, especially since they're some of the least expensive. Excellent value. If I were shopping for similar tires, those two would be the ones I would compare. None of the more expensive offerings are worth the money. The amazing thing about these two tires is that they're priced down near the Sumitomo HTR Z II, which is a tire I probably wouldn't get. I've driven two cars with those actually - even the cheapest summer tire in this category embarrasses any all-season for performance. That's why they're called summer tires.

Have you joined Focal Jet or Focus Fanatics yet? We need more members with 2012's!

I'm on Focus Fanatics but I stopped posting for the most part since virtually everything I come across is face palm material. There are already people hacking up the 2012 to do some rather questionable mods. Not my cup of tea and I haven't really come across anyone helpful at all yet.

I did meet some of the guys from FF down on Woodward too and they were the least knowledgeable car guys I've ever met and they were just flat out strange. They oogled my car but when I offer to let them sit in it they just got really weird.

I could see if the new Focus was somehow cheap, but it's not, mine was around $26k...there's no way I'm hacking up a car that cost that much.

I might try Focal Jet but I'm not overly hopeful. Most car forums are filled with arrogant fanboys who have rather strange ideas.

Both tires are too expensive. Speed Junkie and I both have experience with Dunlop DZ101 ($536 set) and Kumho SPT ($572 set) and can tell you that they're excellent tires for both performance and quality in their performance category, especially since they're some of the least expensive. Excellent value. If I were shopping for similar tires, those two would be the ones I would compare. None of the more expensive offerings are worth the money. The amazing thing about these two tires is that they're priced down near the Sumitomo HTR Z II, which is a tire I probably wouldn't get. I've driven two cars with those actually - even the cheapest summer tire in this category embarrasses any all-season for performance. That's why they're called summer tires.

I had DZ101's on the Cooper and didn't really like them, their level of grip wasn't impressive at all. When I swapped to the DW's it was like night and day. I loved the DW's for the short time I had them and I wish they'd fit the 17" rims so I could run em on the Focus instead of sitting in my grandma's basement. And DW's are just as cheap as the DZ101's in the 235/40-18 size, but I think I'd still rather do the Michelin's.

I keep switching gear on the rims too, I'm now leaning towards some OZ's. I rather like the Superturismo LM's which are 21.3lbs for 18".

oz_supertlm_mgs_ci3_l.jpg

And the OZ Ultreleggera's which I like less in style, but at 18.4lbs they are the lightest 18" wheels I can get.

oz_ultraleggera_s_ci3_l.jpg

===

Oh and I know haterz are going to hate, but I bought a German license plate for the front of the car from the city of Saarlouis where the Euro Focus is made.

I'm on Focus Fanatics but I stopped posting for the most part since virtually everything I come across is face palm material. There are already people hacking up the 2012 to do some rather questionable mods. Not my cup of tea and I haven't really come across anyone helpful at all yet.

I did meet some of the guys from FF down on Woodward too and they were the least knowledgeable car guys I've ever met and they were just flat out strange. They oogled my car but when I offer to let them sit in it they just got really weird.

I might try Focal Jet but I'm not overly hopeful. Most car forums are filled with arrogant fanboys who have rather strange ideas.

I agree with you on the face palm material on FF. I'd say majority in fact. I'm members on both, and I would say that FF is more... questionable aesthetics and stupid questions. At least FJ has members doing **** like full MK1 RS conversions.

And OZ Ultreleggera's are timeless. They always look good IMO.

oook:

I can't see why you even considered these, but here you go:
ziniks.jpg

The CFs:
cfs.jpg

These look damn cool:
superturismos.jpg

These too, but not as good as the LMs:
ultraleggeras.jpg

And finally, my suggestion, altough to be sincere, I don't even know if they make them in a size of bolt patter that'll work on your car, BBS RX:
rxs.jpg

Sorry if they look a bit off, most of them came from pictures wiuth way off light from your car's disreggard the color of the calipers, too.

And if you provide a picture of a carin more or less the same angle as your wearing the Borbets, I'll do them in. I couldn't find a damn.

Damn Cano, thanks a million 👍

And I think you sold me on the LM's, those look epic on the car. I couldn't find a car wearing the Borbets when I was looking at them, but I think that's all irrelivent now. I am totally sold on the LM's.

They did make BBS RX's in 5x108, but they might be hard to find.

Is that because of your lug pattern, limiting your options?

Lug pattern, it's a 5x108 which isn't common at all. I want to go with something that can withstand Michigan roads too so I'm trying to get something at least a bit durably. I know OZ is a well known manufacturer so I doubt I'd have to many problems.

Damn Cano, thanks a million 👍

And I think you sold me on the LM's, those look epic on the car. I couldn't find a car wearing the Borbets when I was looking at them, but I think that's all irrelivent now. I am totally sold on the LM's.

They did make BBS RX's in 5x108, but they might be hard to find.

Cool, those are the ones I liked the most when all the versions were done, too. Well, those and my BBSs, heh.

Glad to have helped 👍

Lug pattern, it's a 5x108 which isn't common at all. I want to go with something that can withstand Michigan roads too so I'm trying to get something at least a bit durably. I know OZ is a well known manufacturer so I doubt I'd have to many problems.
Yeah, high quality casting is definitely a better option than some cheapo whatever wheels, but still will never be as strong as forged. Are there any options for forged wheels in that pattern?

Latest Posts

Back