Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumWash

(Banned)
United States
Texas
xxBuckBiggslyxx
Buck Biggslyy
Okay so i present to you a suggestion. I think we should be able to close our threads for further replies without having to have the moderators do it. I think it would save time. I know its something little but hey its just a suggestion.

It doesn't work on GTP12 yet but I believe it is on its way back, but again only for premium members.
It's pretty easy to change or "get back" that ability. In the admin options under "User groups" you just have to change permissions for Premium users.

How do I know this? Xenforo demo. ;)

(Of course, what I did may vary from how you do it in GTP12)

It's pretty easy to change or "get back" that ability. In the admin options under "User groups" you just have to change permissions for Premium users.

Still pretty lame though that we have to buy premium just to close our threads. I just dont understand why.

Still pretty lame though that we have to buy premium just to close our threads. I just dont understand why.
Why do you do this to me? I'm on my phone. :(

Why I think it's like that is because:
1. You're obviously committed to the site when you buy Premium
2. Since you've paid money you're probably not going to screw around with those privileges
3. Locking and unlocking threads would get annoying
4. You get what you paid for (bang for your buck)
5. This is Jordan's life. He can't be a hobo and run a website. :lol:

Why do you do this to me? I'm on my phone. :(

Why I think it's like that is because:
1. You're obviously committed to the site when you buy Premium
2. Since you've paid money you're probably not going to screw around with those privileges
3. Locking and unlocking threads would get annoying
4. You get what you paid for (bang for your buck)
5. This is Jordan's life. He can't be a hobo and run a website. :lol:

How would it get annoying? I just want to simply close a thread because nobody replied. How is that annoying???

How would it get annoying? I just want to simply close a thread because nobody replied. How is that annoying???
There'd be some one (almost as stupid as monster_man) that'd lock and unlock a thread repeatedly or at least that's what'd I think they'd do.
If you make every member on GTP a moderator, what would happen?
Banhammer here, banhammer there. You get my point.

There'd be some one (almost as stupid as monster_man) that'd lock and unlock a thread repeatedly or at least that's what'd I think they'd do.
If you make every member on GTP a moderator, what would happen?
Banhammer here, banhammer there. You get my point.

Yeah i guess so.

The user group option you saw was likely the global lock / unlock permission setting, which would allow anyone in the user group to open or close any thread on the site. This is different from only allowing users to open or close threads which they have created, which was was a separate option that allowed me to provide that functionality to Premium users on our old forum software.
As @EF12345678 mentioned, thread locking ability is a rather powerful control which, if abused or used incorrectly, could have significant consequences on the community at large.

Threads only need to be closed under a limited set of circumstances. Just because a thread has not received enough replies or just because someone gets an answer to their question, for example, does not mean that the thread should be closed off for any further clarification or discussion.

The user group option you saw was likely the global lock / unlock permission setting, which would allow anyone in the user group to open or close any thread on the site. This is different from only allowing users to open or close threads which they have created, which was was a separate option that allowed me to provide that functionality to Premium users on our old forum software.

As @EF12345678 mentioned, thread locking ability is a rather powerful control which, if abused or used incorrectly, could have significant consequences on the community at large.

Threads only need to be closed under a limited set of circumstances. Just because a thread has not received enough replies or just because someone gets an answer to their question, for example, does not mean that the thread should be closed off for any further clarification or discussion.

Ok thanks, I understand now.

Oh yes. I made them a moderator essentially. :P

I'll look again at it whenever my city's internet gets fixed.

I'll look again at it whenever my city's internet gets fixed.
Feel free but keep in mind that Jordan has made numerous customizations to the site so what you're able to do in the demo might not be possible here without affecting other things.

TB
Feel free but keep in mind that Jordan has made numerous customizations to the site so what you're able to do in the demo might not be possible here without affecting other things.

Wait, what? What demo are you guys referring to.

Wait, what? What demo are you guys referring to.
Reading is your friend.

I kind of did DAAN. I know what they said about the demo i was just wondering what demo they were talking about so i kind of did read so yeahhhh.

It's not some super secret one, searching for xenforo demo on Google yielded this link. Considering we're on a forum using XenForo, discussing how the forum works, it's not too cryptic.

It's not some super secret one, searching for xenforo demo on Google yielded this link. Considering we're on a forum using XenForo, discussing how the forum works, it's not too cryptic.

Thanks guys for actually helping me (you too Jordan) unlike daan who told me to just read [LOL]. Anyways thanks again i didnt know what xenforo was.

Thanks guys for actually helping me (you too Jordan) unlike daan who told me to just read [LOL]. Anyways thanks again i didnt know what xenforo was.
daan answered your question to the best of his ablility. See...
That was a perk reserved for premium members. It doesn't work on GTP12 yet but I believe it is on its way back, but again only for premium members.

We're getting a bit off the rails in here, so I'll go ahead and close this up. Feel free to open a new thread if you have any more questions, @PlatinumWash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back