Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
Day 1 Recap: Terrible... From the way the event is organised to my kart setup, everything is terrible. It was suppose to be a different track from last year but it isn't. And weirdly enough, I'm a whole second off from where I was last year so that leaves us with 2secs to find by the end of tomorrow to be up front. Not happy today but we've been in this situation before and have pulled out with a strong finish so I'm not too worried.

Day 1 Recap: Terrible... From the way the event is organised to my kart setup, everything is terrible. It was suppose to be a different track from last year but it isn't. And weirdly enough, I'm a whole second off from where I was last year so that leaves us with 2secs to find by the end of tomorrow to be up front. Not happy today but we've been in this situation before and have pulled out with a strong finish so I'm not too worried.
2 seconds is quite far behind, but if you didn't have correct setup and tyre pressure it isn't impossible to get 2 seconds off your lap time.

Day 2 Recap: F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!!! We picked up 5 tenths while the leaders lost 1.3secs bringing us to where we wanted to be. The first race was a relatively normal race without much shuffling in the race order. Race 2 came around and I hit all the right straps. Started 25th and worked my way up to 16th (beating the International in my class) and I stuck it to the National champion for a majority of the race. They spend $20,000+ in ONE race meeting while we spend $1,000 at the best of times but no more than that. The final wasn't too great. Got caught up in too much carnage and was blatantly taken out on the last lap to finish a lowly 25th. All in all we are treating the 2nd race like the final so we know where we are ranked amongst the elite class.

NW48's Race of Stars Recap
A great experience for me as a driver and something I'll never forget. Whether it was meeting David Reynolds, Alex Premat, Chaz Mostert, Paul Morris, Michael Caruso, James Courtney (again), Fabian Coulthard and Lee Holdsworth or giving it to the Australian Champion who's budget is $49,000 more than mine or beating the International driver in my class, I'll NEVER forget this weekend. The lowest low's of Friday Practice were erased after Saturday's Qualyfying, which saw me jump from 31st (out of 34) during practice to 25th after Qualy and then arguably my best race in Race 2 of 3 where I gave it to the National champion, who had to cut the track illegally just to get away from me and two others, and beat the international from New Zealand. Race 3 wasn't a great way to end the weekend as from the second corner I was on a fight back after being involved in a 2nd corner crash which slightly bent my steering then after chasing down the kart ahead of me on the last lap, I was turned around by an 🤬 who bent my steering further and cost me a good finishing position.

Where there any Supercars there?
Yes, there was a high end Ferrari (I think it was a 599 or something, didn't see it too well) which was probably a rental as the guy driving it didn't know how to open the boot and it didn't turn up on the second day even though the guy was there.

So I've signed up to go karting on Saturday. More specifically, it's a British Universities Karting Championship (BUKC) event at Whilton Mill. Has anyone here done BUKC before, and is anyone familiar with the Zulu layout of Whilton Mill? I've never driven karts this fast before, and I'm eager to make the most of my £100+ day of karting.

So I've signed up to go karting on Saturday. More specifically, it's a British Universities Karting Championship (BUKC) event at Whilton Mill. Has anyone here done BUKC before, and is anyone familiar with the Zulu layout of Whilton Mill? I've never driven karts this fast before, and I'm eager to make the most of my £100+ day of karting.
The Zulu layout is the old layout used before 2007, has got a fast downhill section with 2 left handers and a right hander. Also has a very technical last section (the boot) slow speed but vital for lap times as the speed gained out of the last corner is carried for about 15 seconds(a third of the lap) as you are full throttle through the first section of the lap. They changed the layout in 2008, but the Zulu layout was my favourite track in the uk, challenging but very rewarding. How much are the bukc events? Was going to join the exeter one this year but wasn't sure if they ran in the actual bukc.

The Zulu layout is the old layout used before 2007, has got a fast downhill section with 2 left handers and a right hander. Also has a very technical last section (the boot) slow speed but vital for lap times as the speed gained out of the last corner is carried for about 15 seconds(a third of the lap) as you are full throttle through the first section of the lap. They changed the layout in 2008, but the Zulu layout was my favourite track in the uk, challenging but very rewarding. How much are the bukc events? Was going to join the exeter one this year but wasn't sure if they ran in the actual bukc.
The one I'm doing is £135, but the society is subsidising £25 of that. Still massively expensive, but hey, you only live once. And thanks for the track info!

How'd it go?

As much as I like James Courtney, and if I was offered one of these 'JC Kart''s, I'd say no. One reason. JT Motorsport. If the kart is in fact being built with John Targett, it immediately puts me off buying it.

The Ricciardo Kart however, I'd love that but my favourite brand of kart, even though I'm not using it currently, is SQ. It may be Chinese but it's fantastic! Sadly they stopped making a Junior chassis a few years back...

The more the merrier...see how long it lasts, I guess.

By the way, I won the club championship so that was at least something to take from the year.

Hey guys, Over the past couple of days I've really begun researching Karts more and have been crunching prices and found out that it is an attainable path for me if I get a halfway decent paying job, however, I don't think I should start buying equipment yet because I'm going to college.
I have a family friend who owns a racing Kart and doesn't do much with it, hope he still has it in 4 years :lol:

The first race of the RMCF season is held in Kotka this weekend, and it's looking brilliant so far. 32 Max entries, to which I've moved up during the winter, as I'm now too old for the Junior Max. And by the Sunday's practice I'm only 1 second from the 2014 champion, with way worse tyres, and set up that isn't exactly right.

Sounds promising! Good luck, hopefully you can get the setup and give 'em a real run for their money :)

________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally got my engine back! Hopefully we will get it run in soon so I can do a couple races this year.
Probably going to go unrestricted for something new. We'll see what happens. :D

Back