Killing Bees with Borax

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by Solid Lifters, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Solid Lifters

United States Inland Empire SoCal
    PSN:SOLID_LIFTERS

Ever try it? I'm trying it right now. I understand it's a 'slow' process, but how slow? Let me know how it worked out for you.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-bees.htm

The link above was helpful, but I'm curious how well this remedy works. Got any other tips; maybe something else other than borax?
  2. MarinaDiamandis

Premium
    Wales Hollywood

Bees are struggling as it is, no need to kill them. If it's a hive, get it moved by a beekeeper or someone who won't kill the swarm off.
  3. the Interceptor

Premium
    Germany Germany
    PSN:theInterceptor77

4. Solid Lifters

The 'hive' was as big as s baseball. Now, since then, it's as big as a large soccer ball. I nuked them with the borax before it got that big. I'm allergic to bees, so out they go as fast as I can get them to go. I have no problem killing them.

I've called 'bee guys' for removal before, but I'm nipping this one in the bud before it gets out of had. Plus, they're forming the hive in a home exhaust vent, and I fear they'll get into the house if I let the hive get too big by waiting for somebody to take care of them.
  5. FoolKiller

Premium
    United States Frankfort, KY
    PSN:FoolKiller79 or GTP_FoolKiller for GT5P

I like his original suggestion of Raid. I buy the foaming spray so that it quickly foams up and catches nearly every bee/wasp before they can fly at me.
  6. Solid Lifters

I just got back from the store when I first noticed the bees. I didn't feel like going back to get some Raid, which is what I usually do if the garden house is not an option.

I guess I've got no choice but to get some Raid, but I'm going to wait and see, about a day, if the borax works.
  7. Max Powers

Pittsburgh
    PSN:XBL: MelBlount

I don't know about borax...but I heard Borat is pretty good at killing bees.

[​IMG]

VERY NICE
  8. wfooshee

Premium
    Panama City, FL

If you'd moved this wouldn't be a problem!
  9. Aldo

Premium
    Canada Alberta, Canada Eh?!
    PSN:Aldo_GTP / GTP_Aldo (for WRS only)

Can I just ask please as I'm interested
    What actually makes you allergic to bees? Is it the hair or the fact that they have pollen on their legs or something?
    I'm genuinely asking, this isnt some sarcastic comment or anything :tup:
    Cheers
    Aldo
  10. Mrs. Famine

Premium
    United Kingdom Famine's house.
    PSN:Milford_Cubicle

I imagine it's an allergy to bee stings rather than the bees themselves.

Some people have an anaphylactic style reaction to bee stings which if not treated quickly, can be fatal.
  11. FoolKiller

Premium

It is an allergy to the venom in the sting.

http://www.medicinenet.com/insect_sting_allergies/article.htm

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor_health/uploaded_images/102_0605-708312.JPG
    Here is the least disturbing picture of an allergic reaction I could find (it's a swollen leg). My cousin has to always keep a self injector epipen within quick reach.
  12. buickgnx88

Premium
    Anoka, MN

My brother has the same problem and also has to carry an epipen. Worst I've gotten was a swollen hand from a sting on my ring finger...of course it did hurt for a few days.
  13. tfujiwara

Chicago, IL
    PSN:PeachSergeantz

yup, and one thing I'm allergic to is this. WARNING: "this" might scare you alot!

I've got stung by one back in Mexico. :scared: I barely survived in the hospital. But it was along time ago.
  14. FoolKiller

Premium

I can't eat certain fish, which is actually a new development, and was quite disturbing when I discovered it after attending a fish fry. Just had some dinner and next thing I know my hands and feet swelled up and I started having trouble breathing. Fortunately, a Benadryl was all I required to alleviate the worst of the symptoms.
  15. Tornado

Premium
    Lyons, New York

Its not necessarily safe (or for that matter, mature), but I've always used liquid bandage and Zippos. Especially on nests.
    Though admittedly, its no more effective than Raid.
  16. Aldo

Premium
    Canada Alberta, Canada Eh?!
    PSN:Aldo_GTP / GTP_Aldo (for WRS only)

Thanks for the info Foolkiller:tup:
    Man, that leg looks horrendous
    Tjufiwra (if thats how you spell it) thanks for the warning first, that thing is seriously creeping me out :lol:
    I'm allergic to something too...
    FACE PAINT... I know its not on the same level as you guys allergies. All I get is a rash.
    Anyways, cheers for the info guys
    Aldo
  17. Perfect Balance

Premium
    Virginia
    PSN:P_Balance

Kill it with fire.
  18. wfooshee

Premium
    Panama City, FL

I've developed a shellfish allergy in recent years (shrimp, crabs, lobsters, etc.) Sucks, because I LOVE shrimp, and we get the best shrimp in the universe right her in our own waters! Symptoms are itching, then hives, then puking guts out and wishing for a quicker easier death. First time it happened I put it down to "Musta got some bad shrimp there." Second time I started to see a pattern. Third time was on purpose as a test, a single shrimp, got itchy a couple of hours later but not really sick. How much fun is eating one shrimp, though?

Regular fish is perfectly OK. I've been told that some sort of medicine before ingesting shellfish will prevent it, but I'm just not brave enough to experiment.

On topic, shrimp are much easier to kill than bees. As a matter of fact, for most people they are already dead by the time you see them. :sly:
  19. FoolKiller

Premium

Mine is the odd thing of just cold water saltwater fish, like cod and salmon. Tropical and temperate climate freshwater fish are fine.

Allergies are a weird thing, particularly when they are related to specif animal chemicals, like certain fish oil or specific insect venom.
  20. CDailey

United States Alabama

I also vote fire. Watch the video in this link on how to do a DIY flame thrower http://revision3.com/systm/cake/

If you don't want to burn them, I'd go with the Raid as well.
  21. Mrs. Famine

Premium
    United Kingdom Famine's house.
    PSN:Milford_Cubicle

Please, please...if you ever start to feel as if you're having an issue with breathing which may or may not be coupled with swelling to the throat, lips and tongue after eating/drinking something or being stung/bitten, then please please get yourself to A&E. Taking an anti-histamine is a good idea, but a reaction like that requires close monitoring by medical personnel in a clinical environment.

FK - promise me if you ever struggle to breathe again in a situation like that, you'll seek urgent medical advice...
  22. Solid Lifters

Yep. Too late, now. :guilty:

Looks like you learned something new and important. :tup:

Fire can be a fun idea, but with kids in the house, it's sending a bad message. Even if I can do it when they're not at home, fire is too dangerous for a drought-stricken city such as mine. I'll leave it up to the Raid.

Yes, that means the borax has not worked. Well, if attracting feral cats, insects, lizards and other 'wildlife creatures' is considered a "success" then I'll say I succeeded. But the bees are still there, unaffected.

I get the same effects, but mildly enough not to need hospitalization or an ejection of an epipen. I get a mild 'asthma-like feeling' that leaves me feeling generally sick and nauseous.
  23. Omnis

United States Murica
    PSN:MP-Omnis

Or you can use a high pressure steam hose so you don't burn down the tree.
  24. FoolKiller

Premium

At the time I wasn't aware it was the allergies. I took the anti-histamine as a guess, then sat down on the sofa and told my wife if I got to feeling any worse or it didn't go away in an hour we were going to the doctor, and if I passed out she was to call 911.

After it seemed obvious it was an allergic reaction I scheduled a new appointment with my allergist.

Looking back on it though, yeah I should have gone straight to the hospital, but as I already spend too much time there my initial reaction in most non-heart related situations is to wait and see first. It's dumb but I am rarely thinking clearly in those situations.

So, are the bees dead yet?
  25. Solid Lifters

I don't know?! They're gone! I never knew bees can just up and leave like that, with NO sign they'd been there at all! Weird. :tup:

I don't know if the borax finally worked, or the cold weather (it's 40 degrees cooler than the last few days!) caused them to go somewhere else. All I know, I'm glad they're gone with no trace they'd been there at all. No dead bees, no nest; nothing. :)
  26. bergauk

California

They took the nest...?
  27. Perfect Balance

Premium
    Virginia
    PSN:P_Balance

I think he secretly went ahead and killed them with fire and just doesn't want to admit it.
  28. TB

TB
    United States NoDak
    PSN:Cy-Fi

If Solid killed them dead with fire, he'd fess up to it. ;)
  29. FoolKiller

Premium

I only know of one thing that will go after an entire bee nest without regard:

His name is Edward Bear.
    [​IMG]
  30. Solid Lifters

Yeah, pretty much. ;)

We have bears, possums, raccoons and few other creatures here that might have attacked the bees for their honey. They're all gone, now. And that's the way I like it. ;)
Next Page »