Killing Bees with Borax

Bees are struggling as it is, no need to kill them. If it's a hive, get it moved by a beekeeper or someone who won't kill the swarm off.

Bees are struggling as it is, no need to kill them. If it's a hive, get it moved by a beekeeper or someone who won't kill the swarm off.

The 'hive' was as big as s baseball. Now, since then, it's as big as a large soccer ball. I nuked them with the borax before it got that big. I'm allergic to bees, so out they go as fast as I can get them to go. I have no problem killing them.

I've called 'bee guys' for removal before, but I'm nipping this one in the bud before it gets out of had. Plus, they're forming the hive in a home exhaust vent, and I fear they'll get into the house if I let the hive get too big by waiting for somebody to take care of them.

Ever try it? I'm trying it right now. I understand it's a 'slow' process, but how slow? Let me know how it worked out for you.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-bees.htm

The link above was helpful, but I'm curious how well this remedy works. Got any other tips; maybe something else other than borax?
I like his original suggestion of Raid. I buy the foaming spray so that it quickly foams up and catches nearly every bee/wasp before they can fly at me.

I like his original suggestion of Raid. I buy the foaming spray so that it quickly foams up and catches nearly every bee/wasp before they can fly at me.

I just got back from the store when I first noticed the bees. I didn't feel like going back to get some Raid, which is what I usually do if the garden house is not an option.

I guess I've got no choice but to get some Raid, but I'm going to wait and see, about a day, if the borax works.

I don't know about borax...but I heard Borat is pretty good at killing bees.

borat13.jpg

VERY NICE

I'm allergic to bees,

Can I just ask please as I'm interested
What actually makes you allergic to bees? Is it the hair or the fact that they have pollen on their legs or something?
I'm genuinely asking, this isnt some sarcastic comment or anything 👍
Cheers
Aldo

I imagine it's an allergy to bee stings rather than the bees themselves.

Some people have an anaphylactic style reaction to bee stings which if not treated quickly, can be fatal.

What actually makes you allergic to bees? Is it the hair or the fact that they have pollen on their legs or something?
I'm genuinely asking, this isnt some sarcastic comment or anything 👍
Cheers
Aldo
It is an allergy to the venom in the sting.

http://www.medicinenet.com/insect_sting_allergies/article.htm

Allergic reactions

Systemic (body-wide) reactions are allergic responses and occur in people who have developed antibodies against the insect venom from a prior exposure. It is estimated that between 0.3%-3% of stings trigger a systemic allergic reaction.

The allergic reaction to an insect sting varies from person to person. Symptoms of an allergic reaction can include itching, hives, flushing of the skin, tingling or itching inside the mouth, and nausea or vomiting. The most serious allergic reaction is called anaphylaxis, which can be fatal. Difficulty breathing, swallowing, hoarseness, swelling of the tongue, dizziness, and fainting are signs of a severe allergic reaction. These types of reactions usually occur within minutes of the sting but have been known to be delayed for up to 24 hours. Prompt treatment is essential, and emergency help is often needed.

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor_health/uploaded_images/102_0605-708312.JPG
Here is the least disturbing picture of an allergic reaction I could find (it's a swollen leg). My cousin has to always keep a self injector epipen within quick reach.

My brother has the same problem and also has to carry an epipen. Worst I've gotten was a swollen hand from a sting on my ring finger...of course it did hurt for a few days.

It is an allergy to the venom in the sting.

yup, and one thing I'm allergic to is this. WARNING: "this" might scare you alot!

I've got stung by one back in Mexico. :scared: I barely survived in the hospital. But it was along time ago.

yup, and one thing I'm allergic to is this. WARNING: "this" might scare you alot!

I've got stung by one back in Mexico. :scared: I barely survived in the hospital. But it was along time ago.
I can't eat certain fish, which is actually a new development, and was quite disturbing when I discovered it after attending a fish fry. Just had some dinner and next thing I know my hands and feet swelled up and I started having trouble breathing. Fortunately, a Benadryl was all I required to alleviate the worst of the symptoms.

Its not necessarily safe (or for that matter, mature), but I've always used liquid bandage and Zippos. Especially on nests.
Though admittedly, its no more effective than Raid.

Thanks for the info Foolkiller:tup:
Man, that leg looks horrendous
Tjufiwra (if thats how you spell it) thanks for the warning first, that thing is seriously creeping me out :lol:
I'm allergic to something too...
FACE PAINT... I know its not on the same level as you guys allergies. All I get is a rash.
Anyways, cheers for the info guys
Aldo

I can't eat certain fish, which is actually a new development, and was quite disturbing when I discovered it after attending a fish fry. Just had some dinner and next thing I know my hands and feet swelled up and I started having trouble breathing. Fortunately, a Benadryl was all I required to alleviate the worst of the symptoms.

I've developed a shellfish allergy in recent years (shrimp, crabs, lobsters, etc.) Sucks, because I LOVE shrimp, and we get the best shrimp in the universe right her in our own waters! Symptoms are itching, then hives, then puking guts out and wishing for a quicker easier death. First time it happened I put it down to "Musta got some bad shrimp there." Second time I started to see a pattern. Third time was on purpose as a test, a single shrimp, got itchy a couple of hours later but not really sick. How much fun is eating one shrimp, though?

Regular fish is perfectly OK. I've been told that some sort of medicine before ingesting shellfish will prevent it, but I'm just not brave enough to experiment.

On topic, shrimp are much easier to kill than bees. As a matter of fact, for most people they are already dead by the time you see them. :sly:

I've developed a shellfish allergy in recent years (shrimp, crabs, lobsters, etc.) Sucks, because I LOVE shrimp, and we get the best shrimp in the universe right her in our own waters! Symptoms are itching, then hives, then puking guts out and wishing for a quicker easier death. First time it happened I put it down to "Musta got some bad shrimp there." Second time I started to see a pattern. Third time was on purpose as a test, a single shrimp, got itchy a couple of hours later but not really sick. How much fun is eating one shrimp, though?

Regular fish is perfectly OK. I've been told that some sort of medicine before ingesting shellfish will prevent it, but I'm just not brave enough to experiment.

On topic, shrimp are much easier to kill than bees. As a matter of fact, for most people they are already dead by the time you see them. :sly:

Mine is the odd thing of just cold water saltwater fish, like cod and salmon. Tropical and temperate climate freshwater fish are fine.

Allergies are a weird thing, particularly when they are related to specif animal chemicals, like certain fish oil or specific insect venom.

Please, please...if you ever start to feel as if you're having an issue with breathing which may or may not be coupled with swelling to the throat, lips and tongue after eating/drinking something or being stung/bitten, then please please get yourself to A&E. Taking an anti-histamine is a good idea, but a reaction like that requires close monitoring by medical personnel in a clinical environment.

FK - promise me if you ever struggle to breathe again in a situation like that, you'll seek urgent medical advice...

If you'd moved this wouldn't be a problem!

Yep. Too late, now. :guilty:

I'm genuinely asking, this isn't some sarcastic comment or anything 👍
Cheers
Aldo

Thanks for the info Foolkiller:tup:
Man, that leg looks horrendous
Tjufiwra (if thats how you spell it) thanks for the warning first, that thing is seriously creeping me out :lol:
I'm allergic to something too...
FACE PAINT... I know its not on the same level as you guys allergies. All I get is a rash.
Anyways, cheers for the info guys
Aldo

Looks like you learned something new and important. 👍

Kill it with fire.

I also vote fire. Watch the video in this link on how to do a DIY flame thrower http://revision3.com/systm/cake/

If you don't want to burn them, I'd go with the Raid as well.

Fire can be a fun idea, but with kids in the house, it's sending a bad message. Even if I can do it when they're not at home, fire is too dangerous for a drought-stricken city such as mine. I'll leave it up to the Raid.

Yes, that means the borax has not worked. Well, if attracting feral cats, insects, lizards and other 'wildlife creatures' is considered a "success" then I'll say I succeeded. But the bees are still there, unaffected.

Please, please...if you ever start to feel as if you're having an issue with breathing which may or may not be coupled with swelling to the throat, lips and tongue after eating/drinking something or being stung/bitten, then please please get yourself to A&E. Taking an anti-histamine is a good idea, but a reaction like that requires close monitoring by medical personnel in a clinical environment.

FK - promise me if you ever struggle to breathe again in a situation like that, you'll seek urgent medical advice...

I get the same effects, but mildly enough not to need hospitalization or an ejection of an epipen. I get a mild 'asthma-like feeling' that leaves me feeling generally sick and nauseous.

At the time I wasn't aware it was the allergies. I took the anti-histamine as a guess, then sat down on the sofa and told my wife if I got to feeling any worse or it didn't go away in an hour we were going to the doctor, and if I passed out she was to call 911.

After it seemed obvious it was an allergic reaction I scheduled a new appointment with my allergist.

Looking back on it though, yeah I should have gone straight to the hospital, but as I already spend too much time there my initial reaction in most non-heart related situations is to wait and see first. It's dumb but I am rarely thinking clearly in those situations.

So, are the bees dead yet?

So, are the bees dead yet?

I don't know?! They're gone! I never knew bees can just up and leave like that, with NO sign they'd been there at all! Weird. 👍

I don't know if the borax finally worked, or the cold weather (it's 40 degrees cooler than the last few days!) caused them to go somewhere else. All I know, I'm glad they're gone with no trace they'd been there at all. No dead bees, no nest; nothing. :)

I don't know?! They're gone! I never knew bees can just up and leave like that, with NO sign they'd been there at all! Weird. 👍

I don't know if the borax finally worked, or the cold weather (it's 40 degrees cooler than the last few days!) caused them to go somewhere else. All I know, I'm glad they're gone with no trace they'd been there at all. No dead bees, no nest; nothing. :)

They took the nest...?

I only know of one thing that will go after an entire bee nest without regard:

His name is Edward Bear.
Honey_winnie.jpg

TB
If Solid killed them dead with fire, he'd fess up to it. ;)

Yeah, pretty much. ;)

I only know of one thing that will go after an entire bee nest without regard:

His name is Edward Bear.
Honey_winnie.jpg

We have bears, possums, raccoons and few other creatures here that might have attacked the bees for their honey. They're all gone, now. And that's the way I like it. ;)

Back