Koenigsegg Agera R

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 190 comments
http://www.koenigsegg.com/models/agera-r/

AgeraR_2013_start.jpg

taken from topspeed:

"Koenigsegg is determined to take the supremacy out of Bugatti’s hands. After being officially unveiled back in 2011, the Agera R is entering the 2013 model year as a more powerful sports car with lots of improvements. Koenigsegg is put in a power improvement of 25 HP that will make the car capable of hitting a top speed of 273 mph. We’ll just have to wait for Koenigsegg to prove it.

The in-house developed 5.0-liter V8 with twin turbos now uses nano-surfaced cylinder sleeves, from ANS, for reduced friction and fuel consumption. As a result, the Agera R will develop a total of 1,140 HP up from 1,115 HP. The Agera R comes also equipped with an unique Triplex suspension and a new, lighter rear exhaust section.

Aside from the bump in performance, the Agera R also comes with the world’s first hollow, one piece, super light carbon fiber wheel, using a proprietary method developed by Koenigsegg named Aircore Technology."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/koenigsegg/2013-koenigsegg-agera-r-ar125917.html

I have always liked Koenigsegg, especially the Agera and now the R.

0-200 in 17.68 seconds and a top speed of 273 mph.

They always claim numbers like these but then they are never backed up in testing. Pretty much every Koenigsegg released has supposed to have been the fastest car in the world.

I know, they are one of the fasted cars shown on top gear too.

It's in swedish, but the reporter say a few things that might be of interest..

The car can handle 1,6 latteral G's, which is a lot!
Christian Von Koenigsegg say that they think it's (Agera R '13) capable of 440 km/h.. In mph.. 275...

Oh wow. Sorry. Well I guess mine is more up to date tho. I dunno... Sorry to make a copy thread, didn't see it. xD

It's in swedish, but the reporter say a few things that might be of interest..

The car can handle 1,6 latteral G's, which is a lot!
Christian Von Koenigsegg say that they think it's (Agera R '13) capable of 440 km/h.. In mph.. 275...

I wonder if this 440 km/h will be ever confirmed.

I wonder if this 440 km/h will be ever confirmed.

Yeah, lol..
Many say that Koenigsegg do nothing but talk.. But truth is that it's practically impossible for them to proove what it's capable of.
And I don't think they care either. It's not their no1 selling point, in contradiction to other "similar" *cough* cars.

But looking at it's weight, bhp output and drag cooficients do indicate that it will go really really fast.
0-322 (km/h)-0 in 22 seconds :scared:
I think this is the 2012 version with "only" 1115 bhp though.. ;)

That's some serious numbers..
And if it will reach 440 km/h, no one knows, but I don't find it un-likely.

I've always wondered how car manufacturers work out top speeds for adverts and the like.
Apart from the Veyron, Mc F1 and a few others, none show or mention real testing for top speed.

Do they use factors such as drag coefficient, power, gearing and the rest to estimate?

Many carmanufactors calculate the official top speed numbers.

Top speed is dependant on 2 factors..

Power vs resistance

When the power and resistance levels out, no more speed is possible.
Air resistance is, at least at 400+ km/h the absolute dominating force that counteract the speed increase.
That's why cars need a well designed body for it to catch as little air (resistance) as possible.

Reason why the Veyron reach 407 is mostly because it's very well designed from an aerodynamic point of view.
But yes, it also need 1000 bhp to actually push thru the resistance which again, depends on the body design.
So it's not all about power, but how much counteracting force the body design can reduce.

The Koenigsegg Agera R do look very well designed when it comes to drag.. And with it's 1140 bhp engine, and a, what seems to be a very sleak design makes me believe that it will reach insane speeds.

Take another car as an example..
Same weight as the Agera R.
Same output (bhp) as the Agera R.
Same powerband and gearbox as the Agera R.
Bug a body that catch more air compared to the Agera R, will not reach the same top speed since the larger air resistance will require extra power to reach the same speed.

On the other hand, a 800 hp car with a good aero design can be faster than a 2000 hp car with a bad aero design.

It's all about the relation between effect, and countereffect.
The more power, and the less air resistance, the higher speeds it will reach.

Apart from the above, their's practical issues as well.. Such as tires, drivetrain etc, but those are not taken in to account.
One would guess that the manufactors of 400+ km/h cars know what kind of tires etc to use for the car to not fall apart on it's way to the theoretical top speed.

This is gonna be good for sure. I'm betting on even more power than the Agera R, however powerful that one is. Maybe close to the One:1's power?

According to the article, it should surpass the current 1140hp of the Agera R, but it's likely to be below the 1340hp of the One:1.

This new model could slot between the Agera R and the company’s flagship 1341bhp Koenigsegg One:1.

If true, it'll be well in the region of 1200hp.

According to the article, it should surpass the current 1140hp of the Agera R, but it's likely to be below the 1340hp of the One:1.

If true, it'll be well in the region of 1200hp.
Okay. I'm thinking 1240 then.

That's not the only thing that Koenigsegg is coming to Geneva with...
Regera means reign or rule in Swedish. Reg = regenerative braking or something?
Could we have a hybrid K-segg on our hands? We will just have to wait and see.
upload_2015-2-7_12-20-33.png

Last edited:
I wonder how many of each of these models Koenigesegg makes? Less than 5 I'm sure.
I'm curious as to whether or not the company will actually build something entirely new. The design of the cars at their very core is close to 20 years old now.

It's not a knock to point out. I applaud the company for keeping the car fresh & competitive. I can't recall any manufacturers at the moment, being able to remain on 1 sole car to keep them going & just updating it as time goes on. We're beginning to see the wall they're at with the R's extreme aero work, so I wonder if an entirely new design will ever come out. Again, major kudos to them.

Back