List of cars with special gear boxes.

• Thread starter KiroKai
  • 117 comments
SLS also doesn't work properly, only SL from mentioned is ok, but it was already on the list.
The SLS works. It will creep forward if you release the brake while standing still. Gearshift aren't very smooth but they're quicker than normal, more seamless than on cars with the usual manual transmission in GT5. This reflects real life specifications: the SLS does have a hydraulic automatic transmission, but with a clutch pack instead of a torque converter, which offers a more direct feel.

The SLS works. It will creep forward if you release the brake while standing still. Gearshift aren't very smooth but they're quicker than normal, more seamless than on cars with the usual manual transmission in GT5. This reflects real life specifications: the SLS does have a hydraulic automatic transmission, but with a clutch pack instead of a torque converter, which offers a more direct feel.

Ok, maybe. So then there is GT-R, which also will creep forward when releasing the brake.

I think every Mercedes SL has an auto box

Not just any SL. In GT5, only the Standard Mercedes-Benz SL500 (R230) '02 or the Premium Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG '02 (this one is supposed to have a Standard version as well, but I don't have it and I can't confirm if it has smooth gear changes, but I guess it does).

Didn't expect to get that many answers. Thank you all. :cheers:

Why not add some cars with more than 6 gears? Here's some I know:

Lexus IS-F (8)
Nissan Skyline 350 GT-8 (8)
Ferrari 458 (7)
Ferrari California (7)
Mercedes C63, SLS and some others (7)
Red Bull X2010/11 (7)
Citroen GT Race Car (7)
Ferrari F2007 and F10 (7)
Formula GT (7)
Bugatti Veyron (7)
BMW M5 (7, I think)
There might be more, I just can't think of them right now. Why not call the category "Many Gears"? Include only cars with more than 6 gears. There's bound to be a lot of 7 speeds.

NOTE: I know the Skyline is already in the CVT category as it's in it's pseudo auto mode in game. Include only if you want.

Good idea! I'll add that.

If it did, you may be seeing acceleration at 200mph at the same level as 100mph is now... Speed tops out when you reach the drag top speed wall, which for this car may be up to 350-400 (in gt4 I got an 88C-V up to 320 before I hit the speed wall)

EDIT: A racing CVT would feel similar to a Citroen GT Concept or Tesla Roadster in how consistent the acceleration is.

Nice to know. 👍

The Jensen Interceptor only has 3 gears as well.

Will add it.

The Jaguar XJ13 race car '66 have dogleg gear came with 5 speed, but away from 1 gear even use in pit if it need fuel or tires change.

Interesting, it doesn't match any categories though. Anyway, thank for the info.

The Chaparral 2J only have 3 gears so I think you missed out on that under the 'few gears' section. 👍

But then again, it has jet engines sticking out the back so it should be listed under 'jet powered'. LOL :D

Will add it to "few gears".
And yes, together with the X1 it's the only jet powered car in GT5. :)

The Race Modified Lexus IS-F has 8 gears.

Just like the normal Lexus IS-F. Will add both to the new "Many gears"-section.

Mitsubishi i-MEIV is electric.

I'll add the i-MIEV. ;)

Don't forget the standard Jaguar S-Type R, that has a full auto transmission, you can easily hear it when you change gear...I can't remember if the '99 Jaguar XK or the XFR share this or not, since the '99 has the same V8 in it.

S-Type was the first car which I noticed having an automatic gearbox. The XFR has a acting-like-manual transmission though, as well as the '99 XK does. The '02 has an auto though. I tested them all when I discovered the auto on the S-Type.

Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63 is 3 speed.

Will add it to "Few gears". 👍

A semi-auto is a gearbox that shifts manually but doesn't require a clutch pedal. Most Paddle Shift cars use a semi-auto gearbox (or an automatic gearbox with a semi-auto mode). However some, such as the Aston Martin Vanquish use a manual box linked to the paddles. I'm not sure whether there is any difference in GT5 though.

Thanks for the explanation! :) 👍
There's unfortunately no difference in GT5 though, at least I didn't notice it.

(Jaguar XKR Coupe ’99?)*
i'm testing this car right now , and the result is no its like manual gearbox .

Had the same results when testing the car some time ago, but wasn't sure if I really tested the stock transmission. Now I am. Thanks. :cheers:

Peugeot 307 CC has an automatic gear lever and a 4-speed transmission but I can't remember if it changes "smoothly" or not.

^The 307 has the 'manual style' gearchangelike most other autos in the game!

That's a shame! A real automatic gearbox would make the car much more interesting... :(

You can add the Mitsubishi I Concept to the electric cars, it's a rather unknown car to most. Very nimble and fast, AND oversteery.

Yep. Forgot that one. Pretty rare car, while it's still interesting.

Automatic Gearbox

Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG '02
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

SLS also doesn't work properly, only SL from mentioned is ok, but it was already on the list.

I first thought the same like you. Seems like the SLS has some special gear changes anyway.

Not just any SL. In GT5, only the Standard Mercedes-Benz SL500 (R230) '02 or the Premium Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG '02 (this one is supposed to have a Standard version as well, but I don't have it and I can't confirm if it has smooth gear changes, but I guess it does).

The SL55 has no standard version. It's a bug in the official car list. Some cars like the C6 ZR-1 also have a standard version according to the car list but they don't have one in GT5.
I'll add the SL500 to the list. :)

Last edited:
A version of the Nissan Cube has 6 (I think) gears, but the name says it has a CVT. Might be a case of simulated gears.

EDIT: The i Concept has gas and a CVT, while the i-MiEV is electric.

EDIT II: I can also confirm the 2005 M5 has 7 gears.

Last edited:
I don't know if it matches the "Automatic" list or if you only mind the smoothness of the gear change, but Mercedes SL-65 AMG and the Premium Mustang V8 GT Coupe are automatic in real life. Indeed, you can't see hand gearshift change animation in the Mustang

Only if gear changes are actually smooth in the game. Unfortunately, it appears that only a few cars that are supposed to be automatic feature that gear change smoothness, even if in the cockpit view the pilot changes gear with paddles.
However, that's as far as automatic gearbox simulation goes in GT5. There's no actual torque converter action or automatic gear selection logic simulation. This (no torque converter simulation especially) makes cars with a limited number of gears (3 or 4) much worse to drive than they would actually be.

Inspired by this thread, I want to make a list of cars that gearboxes are wrong (not automatic, too slow changes etc.) and then tweet it to Kaz, maybe PD will slowly do something about it, seeing that I tweeted to him about inaccurate dials in BMW M5 and Mercedes SL55 and they fixed it sooner or later.

So, as far as I know:

[P] Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione '08 - gearbox should be semi-automatic, changes faster (175ms), also dials in cockpit view are inaccurate.
[P] Aston Martin DB9 '06 - gear ratios from automatic, when it is manual in game (stick shift animation)
[P] Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07 - should be "R-Tronic" semi-automatic gearbox,
[P] Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro '09 - same as above
[P] Audi RS6 Avant '08 - should be automatic gearbox
[P] Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro '03 - should be "DSG" Dual-clutch automatic gearbox
[P] Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro '07 - should be "S-Tronic" Dual-clutch automatic gearbox
[P] Audi TTS Coupe '09 - should be "S-Tronic" Dual-clutch automatic gearbox
[P] BMW M5 '08 - should be semi-automatic "SMG" gearbox
[P] Dodge Challenger SRT8 '08 - should be automatic gearbox
[P] Ferrari 430 Scuderia '07 - should be semi-automatic "F1" gearbox
[P] Ferrari 458 Italia - should have Dual-Clutch gearbox, like California,
[P] Ferrari 599 '06 - should be semi-automatic "F1" gearbox
[P] Ferrari Enzo Ferrari '02 - same as above
[P] Ferrari F430 '06 - same as above
[P] Ferrari SP1 '08 - same as above
[P] Infiniti Coupe Concept '06 - probably should be an automatic gearbox, but this is a concept, I'm not sure
[P] Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury '07 - should be automatic gearbox
[P] Jaguar XKR Coupe '10 - should be automatic gearbox
[P] Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium '07 - should be automatic, maybe also too high gear ratios(?)
[P] Maserati GranTurismo S - gear changes are too slow and probably too high gear ratios (it's the paddle shifting MC Shift version?)
[P] Nissan GT-R Black edition R35 '12 - Should have automatic Dual-Clutch gearbox, like other R35 GT-Rs

All cars above should have disabled the ability to use manual clutch in steering wheels, as it is in GT-R, California and others. They should also creep forward without brake while in gear.

The descriptions of gearboxes may not be 100% right, but with all these cars something is not right with gearboxes.

I've investigated only Premium road cars, as I don't know much about race cars and premium cars are going to be in future GT titles and standards will be probably dropped sooner or later.

Would aprecciate help with checking if everything is ok and checking premium race cars.

Last edited:
The Tank Car can't have the trans changed.

And the Mustang is automatic? Another reason to not like it. :(

I read an article on the Tank Car in Popular Mechanics (Jay Leno has his own little monthly thingy in there) and he put a six-speed automatic in it to bump up top speed.

The Chapparals all have semi-automatics. This is why they were so successful in racing in the '60s and early '70s.

Side note: Did you know the 2D won the 1000KM of Nürburgring in 1966?

I expected this thread to be dead forever, great to see people started posting something again :)

The Suzuki Cervo SR also has a CVT transmission with 7 simulated gears.

I'm wondering how I could miss that one :dunce: Well, better late than never...

The Chapparals all have semi-automatics...

Chaparral!

It's okay, I actually misspelled it myself, while trying to correct you :grumpy:

That being said, the Premium Honda Insight actually has a CVT, which actually functions like a CVT should :)

EDIT: Looks like it's already listed :banghead:

Anyways, some of the manual cars (like the Elise 111R '04 and the Corvette C6 ZR1), change gear almost instantly, with only a millisecond's loss of torque :odd:

Last edited:
GT-R and SLS aren't added, strange.
GT-Rs have semi automatic transmission.
Also, another two more with wrongly modeled transmissions are SLR (automatic in real life) and MP4-12C (dual clutch semi automatic in real life).

It is a tranny that constantly changes gear ratios to maintain a certain rpm, while still accelerating/decelerating... Most cars have them use them to stay at low rpm to save gas, though in a Williams F1 test car, a Cvt was used to keep a high rpm to achieve almost impossible constant acceleration, and still achieve an incredible top speed... Basically, you can have the absolute highest acceleration at any speed.

100% correct, my boy. 👍 The Honda Insight LS '09 always stays at 5000 RPM (the RPM which makes the maximum engine power) while accelerating. It only goes below 5000 when decelerating.

The Chapparals all have semi-automatics. This is why they were so successful in racing in the '60s and early '70s.

Side note: Did you know the 2D won the 1000KM of Nürburgring in 1966?

I was pretty sure they had fully automatic gearboxes, with a torque converter, not semi-automatics, with chutch systems.

I was pretty sure they had fully automatic gearboxes, with a torque converter, not semi-automatics, with chutch systems.
I think it's as you say. But is that actually replicated in GT5?
Doesn't its transmission behave like normal manual gearboxes in-game?

Last edited:
From what I can remember Chaparrals had automatics that didn't shift until the gas was released, so they shifted by quickly releasing the throttle and steping on it a split second later.

EDIT: According to this, the 2D should have a 6-speed auto...

EDIT II: And according to this, it should have a 2-speed auto.

EDIT III: There's this, but that site hasn't been touched since 2005, which is like the Stone Age, in Internet time.

Last edited:
Interesting, we're having quite a big discussion around the Chaparrals... they are still awesome cars, no matter if their gearboxes are simulated correct or not :) Although if they had some kind of the real automatics, they would be even more special to drive.

From what I can remember Chaparrals had automatics that didn't shift until the gas was released, so they shifted by quickly releasing the throttle and steping on it a split second later.

EDIT: According to this, the 2D should have a 6-speed auto...

EDIT II: And according to this, it should have a 2-speed auto.

EDIT III: There's this, but that site hasn't been touched since 2005, which is like the Stone Age, in Internet time.

That's weird. Maybe the 2D was not only built with one available gearbox? Like, they started with a 2/3 speed-auto, than developed the gearbox further into a 6-speed. Just an idea why the websites tell different facts.
Could just be that one of them is wrong anyway. Or even both.

Oh and is that really the official website of Chaparral? Because then it's odd that there weren't any updates to it since 7 years :lol:

Missing the Suzuki Cervo. I believe it has a 7 Speed CVT, but i could be wrong. It's a speed demon with the right gearing, but stock settings leave a lot to be desired

To think that I've been using the H-pattern with the 2J for all this time :grumpy:
I simply don't understand why GT5 reacts to clutch pedal input for cars that don't have a clutch pedal, in the same way that I don't understand why you can change gears manually in a fully automatic gearbox.

Alfa Romeo 166 Sportronic - is an automatic, with 4 speeds, can change gears manually (but it doesn't have a clutch). Since buying the real thing, I've yet to try out the virtual one!

Back