Lunar roving vehicle????!!!!!

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 650 comments
Oh my gosh :D Just came across this.

Check out around 2 mins 30....

@2:45
Houstan we have lift off! :lol:

Well I guess that answers projectwat's question he asked on the last page. ;) Thanks for posting that christara321! :)👍

The next thing I would like to know is if that person was doing the mission itself or if he managed to make the track available elsewhere. So many questions....

286timd.gif

:P

That car shoot much higher without 200kg ballast and full downforce.
Anyway nice work with great .gif 👍

Surely on the moon its downforce wouldn't matter? :sly:

I wonder if the low gravity physics is part of the lunar rover or the moon. If its part of the rover, then you'll have moon physics every where. If its part of the moon, then all cars have moon physics.

In the video of the Ford and the Red Bull on the moon, they are both affected by the physical conditions, so the low-gravity is part of the moon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Weight wouldn't matter either. A hammer falls as quickly as a feather on the moon.
Well, if the hammer was about the same dimensions as the feather, they would fall at the same rate here on earth too..
The air resistant is what makes the hammer fall first due to its "aerodynamic" shape, not the weight..

Well, if the hammer was about the same dimensions as the feather, they would fall at the same rate here on earth too..
The air resistant is what makes the hammer fall first due to its "aerodynamic" shape, not the weight..
Not entirely true. The effect of air resistance is greater on lighter objects (the force will be the same, but the acceleration will differ).

I agree with your second sentence, but I think a steel feather would still fall faster on earth because it's momentum would allow it to fight drag more efficiently.

I agree with your second sentence, but I think a steel feather would still fall faster on earth because it's momentum would allow it to fight drag more efficiently.
Strictly speaking, the acceleration felt by either object is determined by the difference of the force due to gravity (determined by its mass and, well, gravity) and the drag force (determined by its speed, shape and size).

The reason a steel feather would fall faster than a real one of equivalent shape (feathered steel indeed!) and size is because it weighs more, so its gravity force ("weight") dominates over the drag force up to a higher falling speed. At that point, the acceleration is zero and the speed would have stabilised. Assuming it had the time to get there.

Momentum is the product of mass and speed, so does not affect the falling rate in itself, rather, it is dependent on it. :)
However, any rotation imparted when it is dropped will have higher momentum, so the steel feather will not "align" itself to the falling direction as well as a real feather - that would affect its drag force, probably increasing its falling speed even more.

Weight does matter on the moon, since it still affects how fast things can accelerate on a given force; esp. e.g. climbing hills. I don't think you can get much downforce from non-continuum "fluid" interactions, though, certainly.

Back