Mad Catz: PS4 will require a whole new set of peripherals

• Thread starter WinK
  • 24 comments
Pretty sure this just means the wireless controllers. The ps3 even worked with pc controllers outside of steering wheels.

edit:

Just looked at most of mad catz peripherals and they all use usb even the wireless controllers.

This may suck.

I have one of those fightsticks, and it's wired online. So are all the rest of them.

So you can say goodbye to ANY wheel being compatible with ANY of the new consoles.

So if you've invested into a CSW for the long run; it's going to be a rather short run instead. Unless Thomas finds a way.

For the T500 users; you're out of luck completely as I don't see Thrustmaster doing anything to make old hardware compatible with the new. Though of course news directly from them will be more than welcome.

Edit:
This is the fightstick I have.

20130507_202209_zps84930de8.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those fightsticks, and it's wired online. So are all the rest of them.

So you can say goodbye to ANY wheel being compatible with ANY of the new consoles.

So if you've invested into a CSW for the long run; it's going to be a rather short run instead. Unless Thomas finds a way.

For the T500 users; you're out of luck completely as I don't see Thrustmaster doing anything to make old hardware compatible with the new. Though of course news directly from them will be more than welcome.

Edit:
This is the fightstick I have.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ6JH3rc8Dg">YouTube Link</a>

Don't be so negative. I have heard only good things about PS4 compatibility. From what I can tell madcatz is just being greedy.

It could be that they are needing to impliment the touch pad and share button into the controller. Both seem to me to be perfect matches for those types of game.

Raitziger
I do not believe sony that stupid to turn ass to so large market of users with current wheels.

Wheel users are not a large market. If you think Sony (or MS) care about that small of a segment other than to try and milk cash out of it, you're probably wrong.
I would love to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Wow, that would be a sudden turn for the lame from Sony, but you need to make those bucks someplace I guess. Really surprised by this tho.

I believe ffb wheel owners are indeed an extremely small demographic. That may mean that they will be disregarded on compatibility all together, or disregarded in it being an urgent matter to clarify. I don't get the sense that they will be "penny pinching" there, but we shall see.

Thomas posted this recently and sounded quite optimistic:

Sony has a completely different philosophy. The FF wheels which worked on PS2 also work on PS3. At this point we don't see any reason why Sony would change this policy but at the same time there is no guarantee until they make an official confirmation.

I am not objective on this matter but I am really curious how the media and community will review GT6. The interesting part is that GT6 is not a huge step above GT5 but there were plenty of PS4 and XB1 games (of course beta) which did not look much better than X360 or PS3 games. The big wow-effect we had with the last generation change is missing somehow at the moment. And we are less than 6 months away from the launch.

Waited for a year with buying a new wheel, will be able to wait another five or six months. Sadly, the touchpad & share button reasoning sounds spot on.

PS4 will have usb, and there will be software that supports usb controllers.

Which part of that are madcatz having trouble with?

I read that Sony were insisting that developers ensure that their PS4 games all have the ability to remote play with the Vita. So it would seem plausible that they have also requested that all peripherals include the share and touchpad buttons along with the mic jack.

They might just release a statement suggesting that older PS3 USB devices will have limited functionality due to the missing input/output methods?? Which I for one could live with!

FWIW, Arcade Shock (very reputable arcade joystick vendor) has already stated (on their Facebook page in the comments of the Hori V3-SA proto) they're working on something to be compatible with next-gen consoles for arcade joysticks. Not sure if it'll work with steering wheels though.

Even on the PS3 the Fanatec Wheels do not have all the controls used on the PS3 such as right and left analog sticks PS button yet the wheels work just fine for the racing games. I do not see any reason that a wheel would need the touch pad and the share button could be mapped to any button if it was needed in the game.

I would be very surprised if all PS3 supported wheels do not continue to work on the PS4

Don't be so negative. I have heard only good things about PS4 compatibility. From what I can tell madcatz is just being greedy.

If the madcatz sticks are just standard usb devices and the ps4 accepts standard usb devices, then I don't see how madcatz could block you from using your old sticks with the ps4. Only Sony could do that and that would be by not allowing standard usb devices to work with the PS4 which makes me wonder if our wheels will work. I don't really know anything about usb protocols so I could be completely wrong but I'm not going to assume anything either way until we get direct confirmation.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Thomas is a little in the dark on compatibility both with the PS4 and xbox 1.

Finally, in a post-event interview on the LiveCast, it was mentioned that &#8220;pretty much every commercial racing wheel will work with DriveClub.&#8221; We&#8217;ll likely have to wait until closer to launch for a full list of what they are, but this is definitely good news for wheel owners.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/12/the-cars-in-driveclub-on-ps4-are-the-highest-definition-models-ever-used-in-a-game/
Already posted this into another forum, but it also fits in here.

If this is the case it seems like Mad Catz was selling PC controllers and labelling them as PS3 controllers. This means that the ps4 is more like the ps2 in this aspect. Full support for racing wheels but no support for pc controllers outside of that.

So here's the T500 on the PS4 guys. :D

Credits for putting my attention to this video goes to Carson, who posted this over at another forum I frequent.

So here's the T500 on the PS4 guys. :D

Credits for putting my attention to this video goes to Carson, who posted this over at another forum I frequent.

Someone pointed that out in the t500 thread but someone else also pointed out it is likely running on PC. Since it has motion and triple screens. I would also add pc is likely because the framerate is terrible. If this were on 3 ps4's it would probably be rock solid.

Someone pointed that out in the t500 thread but someone else also pointed out it is likely running on PC. Since it has motion and triple screens. I would also add pc is likely because the framerate is terrible. If this were on 3 ps4's it would probably be rock solid.

That's only when you have a polished game. The above game is still in development. I think it runs on a dev-kit, which is a PC anyway.

Back