Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I took the Red Devil for a drive. The idea was to test it on the tracks included in the Tuning car competition and at the end participate (just for the fun of it, the car is quite an overkill for this race).
First - Apricot Hill Reverse. As with all MFT cars I have tested so far, after the first several laps I started to uncover the secret weapons of the machine. It was immediately clear that the car can deliver so much more than I was able to extract from it. The grip in mid corner is fantastic. Follow the proper trajectory and the car will glue to the road, allowing you to go trough a certain corner faster and faster every time. The car also allows you to greatly accelerate on corner exits by sweeping the whole width of the road without loosing control.
It is not a light car so weight transfer is significant. However, Greycap has turned this into another weapon. Every so often you can kick the tail a little before a succession of turns and use the roll to help you sail trough with high speed. It was not easy for me to apply successfully this strategy (consistency was an issue), but I am confident that people with greater experience in GT will be fully able to exploit this. This stability is no doubt due to the excellent suspension tune.

Image 01: Biting the road – breaking before sharp right corner.

Final best time – 1.22.066

Next challenge - El Captain Reverse. The Red Devil shines on this track. It takes the bumpy sections very smoothly compared to other cars. Allows you to push it harder through them, which is a good thing. If you put “the Stig” in the car he will drive you carefully (even on “push hard”) through the top of the bumpy hill (before the small tunnel) with 130 km/h, where I managed on several occasions to reach 145-155 km/h and accelerated downhill reaching ~210 km/h before breaking for the right turn. How far you can push it – tell me if you drive this car; I had only the AI to compare to and it seemed it did not use the potential of the car at all.

Image 02: One of the fastest ways to tackle the double left here – drift it slightly!

Final best time – 1.46.422

Unfortunately my time was running out, so I decided to skip the other tracks and head for the competition. However I could not resist taking a run on You Know Where. Here was a track where I could use the AI as benchmark because I am that bad at it. I do not know the layout for a start. Anyway, the Stig made 7.10.475, I spent some time sweating and using bad language and reached 7.04.126 and called it a day. But I tell you – in the hands of a veteran this car will fly on the Nurburgring. Somebody out there, do your best, you will be pleasantly surprised!

The Tuning car competition was a walk in the park; I viewed it as a reward. There was an intense moment when the RUF rammed me in the rear on Tokyo and after the spinning I could not recover and finished second. I took the revenge on the next race – El cap by wining with very big margin.

At the end of the day – fantastic car. Lots of grip and stability, excellent weight transfer, sharp character. The car approaches its limits without much drama (this might mislead you at the beginning that it is too tamed) but with lots of determination. And when it reaches them it suddenly isn’t so “nice” anymore (Image 03)!

Try driving it on the edge and you get a satisfying experience! MFT did it again (why am I not surprised!):cheers:

Attachments

• Image 01.JPG
    Image 01.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 29
  • Image 02.JPG
    Image 02.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Image 03.JPG
    Image 03.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 30
*a more than big review*
That's the way you do it! You drive your Skyline on the Nürburgring! :bowdown:
(a bad Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" ripoff)

Seriously, that's one hell of a review. Great. I'm glad to hear that the Red Devil showed you its friendly side most of the time, you can make very good friends with it if you treat it correctly.

The suspension setup is one of the most balanced I've managed to make and together with the excellent ATTESA-ETS Pro (probably Nismo Edition to add to that) it gives the car the handling you mentioned. Agile but docile, predictable but entertaining. It's the best handling Skyline I have, not the fastest by any means but the best choice for some fast cruising.

That review is definitely worth a request, what shall I build for you this time? :)

I think i got lucky, i went to play GT, checked the lots and guess what ?, the GT-s and GT-R showed up at the same time, so i bought, built, tuned, and tested them, here's the review.

Gekko Jr - After building this one, i was looking at it in the garage, and with the aftermarket wheels and wing, you could pass it off as a R-32 if you weren't paying much attention, i found that interesting and wondered if it could perform the same as well. I took it out to Deep Forest too see how it'd handle the hills and sweeping corners, and apparently this car has a reputation of being slide happy, so i took the sharper corners with some caution for the first lap - no sliding, 2nd lap - started giving it more kick around corners, got some slight movement, but nothing major, 3rd lap - im using some of my more "drift-oriented" tech's to invoke tail-play, and i still wasn't getting much, maybe its me, or maybe the car handles differently when driven by someone else, i don't know, other than that braking was fine, acceleration was good, it handled corners well, a good substitute when a GT-R is out of question.

Godzilla - Usually the phrase is "Ruuun !!!!, ItZ GodZillA !!!!", but for this car, its not the people who run, its the car ! :scared:, this beast was ripping up the pavement on the straight aways and exits, i thought it might have just been me after driving Gekko Jr, but watching the replay confirmed the G-forces on that run, the thing stuck like glue everywhere and made it easy to hit each apex at GVS, it was running on R3's but it felt like R5's, an impressive GT-R to say the least.

I have yet to test Mister Black, and then what-ever i feel like after that i guess will be next.

I can never find any of these stupid cars in the used lot, 3000gt is always an sl...the rx-7's always the wrong model, so forth and so on

Greycap: Wheelspin was never a problem with the 240RS, and I was simply overdriving it.

Sorry for the late reply, I was away.

It's actually able to match 510 bhp GT-R's on twistier courses where it's agility really shines. And just that you know, Godzilla's setup works well on any BNR32 chassis GT-R, even with the Nismo one.:cool:

'Aleman' is Spanish for 'German' ;)

Ahhh.. well, he is on the right track then. First two ones indeed are german. 👍

That's the way you do it! You drive your Skyline on the Nürburgring! :bowdown:
(a bad Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" ripoff)

Seriously, that's one hell of a review. Great. I'm glad to hear that the Red Devil showed you its friendly side most of the time, you can make very good friends with it if you treat it correctly.

The suspension setup is one of the most balanced I've managed to make and together with the excellent ATTESA-ETS Pro (probably Nismo Edition to add to that) it gives the car the handling you mentioned. Agile but docile, predictable but entertaining. It's the best handling Skyline I have, not the fastest by any means but the best choice for some fast cruising.

That review is definitely worth a request, what shall I build for you this time? :)

Thanks for the encouragements, Greycap! I am very pleased to hear that I have grasped the qualities of the car exactly the way it was intended to be.
The Nurburgring was a joy (despite the bad language:)) - if only I knew the track by heart:tup:
As for a car - I'll have to think about it. Let me look at my garage this evening and I will PM to you. But I am afraid I might ask for a rally car (you know this is my weak spot). But then again maybe not. Talk to you later!:cheers:

Rotary Junkie - That explains it. 👍

Evtim - As you know, whatever you ask for, I'll do my best to deliver to you. :)

Alrighty, Greycap....here's the review of the TVR Griffith 500 Blackpool '94:

Tested at the Ring with Greycap's settings. Ran a 7'03'484 with a few minor off's in the grass.

This car has great 'get up & go,' but the suspension is a little too tight for my driving style. I'm a trailbraker by nature & this little beastie just wouldn't turn for me with this setup.

It'd be great for a more conservative driver, but there was too much understeer for me. The tranny was great for the Ring, getting up to 196 on the main back-straightaway, with no lagging thru the twisties.

The dampers were a little too stiff up thru the section ' Drei Rechte' aka the Hit & miss turn in the first half of the Ring; as it hopped back & forth thru the ruts, causing me to lose control of it in all three of my trials. The car has great acceleration outta the turns and on straights, but definate throttle control is needed in the tighter turns (not for lack of rear-wheel grip, but for understeering tendencies.)

Overall a good setup, 👍 ...just not for my driving style.

Sorry for the short review, i'm not a novelist like DE...j/k :P

A side note: with slight adjustments to the dampers and a click of TCS, I ran a 6'38'614.

Greycap: The Zonda you sent me was fabulous. Great steering, a real "Driving on the limit car". Just the brakes weren't really my taste, they felt too hard, especially the rear. So with a little softening, the car really was a pleasure to drive!:)

Lancer Evolution will come out after I'm satisfied with the settings. Why don't you calm down and try out these
in the meantime? 👍

Thank you for the Griffith review! 👍

This car has great 'get up & go,' but the suspension is a little too tight for my driving style. I'm a trailbraker by nature & this little beastie just wouldn't turn for me with this setup.

It'd be great for a more conservative driver, but there was too much understeer for me.
Only one question, that may give some insight to this trouble: DS2 or a Logitech wheel?

The dampers were a little too stiff up thru the section ' Drei Rechte' aka the Hit & miss turn in the first half of the Ring; as it hopped back & forth thru the ruts, causing me to lose control of it in all three of my trials. The car has great acceleration outta the turns and on straights, but definate throttle control is needed in the tighter turns (not for lack of rear-wheel grip, but for understeering tendencies.)
It's certainly not a Nürburgring setup to begin with, and the car is so light that it needs a very soft suspension to cope with the bumps of the Nordschleife. Oddly enough though, I didn't witness that bad problems myself. :confused:

A side note: with slight adjustments to the dampers and a click of TCS, I ran a 6'38'614.
Nooo! AIDS! :scared:

:P Nah, I ran it to around 6'40 in the posted settings without an overly heavy sweat so it's probably just a driving style thing.

Vince247 - Glad to hear that! The brakes were a bit of a compromise between being underpowered and being uncomfortable, I opted for the latter one. :D

okay, I understand. Although I didn't think it was too underpowered, it was still fun to drive.

Great 1st impressions on Gekko Jr. btw.

Oh, I didn't mean the car was underpowered, but it had notoriously bad brakes. I had to make the brakes either underpowered or uncomfortable, that's the point.

Wolfsburg Karmann Ghia GTI '68

107 bhp, 220 Nm, 764 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
N3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 3.5 / 4.5
Ride Height: 130 / 150
Bound: 3 / 3
Rebound: 4 / 6
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 0 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.174
2nd: 1.563
3rd: 1.238
4th: 1.024
5th: 0.868
6th: 0.748
Final Gear: 3.700

Autoset 10

LSD
Initial: 30
Acceleration: 15
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

It looks suspiciously like the early Porsches, doesn't it? Well, the fact that it's the ancestor of those explains a lot and now it's time to show that the similarities don't end in the looks. We'll make it drive like one too. :mischievous: Forget the really sneezy engine of the stock model, the power has been more than doubled and the entire car has been virtually rebuilt as a serious sports version of the original. The handling characteristics approach those of the Porsches, lift the throttle and the tail will slide out in a gentle and controllable way - only to get back to the line with a press on the accelerator. That having been said, the most difficult thing to do with this car is resisting the urge to glide it sideways through the corners. :P

The Nismo 550R '98

Just bought this car yesterday and go for some test at Grand Valley Speedway and Suzuka Circuit. Yes, this car not just powerful but for me is really fun to drive and easy handling. I hate spinning tyres from powerful cars, I hate oversteer and understeer too. But this boxy beautiful car is a powerful car which has perfect combination of power, weight and handling. I'm not good to tell my story on how I test my car, but what I can tell you is I don't find any uncomfortable car behaviour just like when you tuning a powerful car (then you are facing oversteer/undertsteer/too much spinning/difficult handling etc which you spend too many times to eliminate it and sometimes you gave up and try to tune another car) 👍👍
This car is now one of my fav cars.

Rotary Junkie - Isn't "offspring of a precedessor" still an ancestor? :P Whatever, you got the idea. 👍

gery - Thank you for the review! It's indeed quite an attitude adjuster, the wagons don't always have to be slow, ugly and boring to drive. Feel free to PM me for a car request. :)

viperpilot - I'm looking forward to that!

Vince247 - I thought you would. 👍

Wolfsburg Coupe QC Turbo'49

85 bhp, 185 Nm, 655 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 1
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
N3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 2.5 / 5.0
Ride Height: 125 / 145
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 3 / 5
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: 2 / -2
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 3 / 4

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 1.600
2nd: 1.111
3rd: 0.865
4th: 0.708
5th: 0.590
Final Gear: 4.430

Autoset 11

LSD
Initial: 15
Acceleration: 10
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

What do you get when an angry, losing dictator orders his engineers to build a final weapon to defeat the enemies? That's right, you get a Volkswagen Beetle. But 4 years after the total defeat, a special version of that car was built, and just a few of them have survived. This is one of them. It's called Wolfsburg Coupe QC Turbo'49, and MFT has just restored one. QC stands for Quad Carburettor, which explains the throaty intake sound. The turbo was also replaced with a new, more efficient one in order to further improve the power, and thus, it easily matches the go-factor of Karmann Ghia GTi, its bigger cousin.

mhm, a Beetle 👍 such a nice car Leo, thanks for that!

i had some spare-time, so i tested the Ghia GTI:

a really nice car, with S2's a lot of grip and a really really nice handling. the acceleration is not like a rocket, but faster than stock!! you can also drift the car, and the drifts are easy to control, but that's my personal feeling.
i did a comparison on Nürb between the Ghia GTI and a full tuned Beetle with my own setup and my Beetle was about 10seconds faster....i'll do the comparison again, with Leo's Beetle-setup and let you know.

viper

Damn.. You two guys really know how to get nice photos, don't you?

They're truly amazing.. The cars looks mean and evil :P
Have to test them soon.

viperpilot - Thanks for the early impressions! I think I know why the Karmann Ghia is losing, it drifts very effortlessly but unfortunately the sliding also slows it down a lot. That's why I said the most difficult thing to do with it is resisting the urge to throw it sideways, drifting is very easy but gripping is so much faster. 👍

Frozen - I think we do if you say so. :P Even basic shots can look good, thank you for the comment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back