Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
My games should arrive here during this week, thewn we'll be back on track.

Greycap is sending his spare over to me and I'll send him something from US in return.

Indeed. Bloody USPS.. I shall never trust it again. Or anything else owned by government here.

OK, here is a short review to compensate for the recent lack and I will try to get some more posted this week (may have some spare time, hopefully). The review is of two cars but as the main comparison will be between them, it is probably best I do it in a single post :)

So, the latest duo, the Camaro Cup Car and the Challenger SSC. Starting with the Camaro, which I configured first, it certainly has a properly brooding presence, especially when fitted with the appropriate wheels (you specify new ones are needed but not the model - well hard to miss them really) and in some suitably martial paintscheme, say US National Guard drab or so ;) I was scratching my head over the gear ratios and a theoretical top speed of over 450kmh, before I read your comment about trying to replicate a four speed gearbox. Another surprise was that the weight was so far back (40 / 60, rather than the ratio you specified), something apparent in the driving at times.

The car is a doddle to drive, though, in spite of the tank sized engine and the torque to match. The 4 speeder gearbox helps here, in that even a full throttle application will need some time to actually 'bite', making life easier for the more hamfisted amongst us. The car certainly accelerates strongly but of course has more flat spots compared to a setup where all 6 gears were used.

The handling is really what surprises, though. With the sound of the engine and the looks you would expect a boat but the car truly delivers here, with unbelievable levels of grip in spite of 'only' sport soft tyres (the high downforce certainly helps) and very rare occassions where the rear gets truly lively. It is definitely steerable on the throttle, altering its line nicely but not to the extent that the rear noticeably steps out (at least not with the DS3 and some semblance of sanity in driving the thing).

Tried it at TM and GVS and it obliterates both circuits. The cornering speeds are especially impressive but so is the handling of bumps, kerbs and road imperfections, which leave the car completely unperturbed, almost no matter how hard you take them.

So all in all a really fun, nicely looking, nicely sounding, solid and predictable car that I can well imagine taking to some endurance races on GT5. It could definitely handle more power if you did not want it built to a 'spec'. 👍

Its nemesis looks equally brooding and martial (if a similar paint is applied - sadly did not have the original specified) but the possible wheel combos let it down in the looks department somewhat in comparison to the Camaro (and in my humble opinion, of course).

Seeing that is has a much higher P/W setting and an equal PP ratio, one would suppose that there's some sort of handing disparity to be expected. The much lower possible downforce explains this.

Not to say that the car is a handful, it handles well enough. It will require more discipline with the throttle and the corner speeds in my hands often tend to be up to 10kmh lower than with the Camaro (both on GVS and TM) but much of this deficit is made up on the straights. The better P/W ratio, together with 6 fully used gears provides really strong acceleration up until the upper reaches :)

As said, it corners well enough but has less grip and one really needs more care with the direction of travel before applying throttle on corner exit (having only 46% of mass over the rear wheels possibly also explains some of that). As such I found it the more difficult car to drive and my times in it were about a second a lap slower in both circuits where I tested the pair. But definitely a proud moment if you get the Challenger's times down to those of the Camaro :D

Hope your stable gets some new additions soon and will try to test something from your back catalogue in the meantime, so you guys do not feel completely abandoned 👍

Another quick review of the Countach 560 SV. I was looking for a Lambo for the seasonals I am tryig to catch up with now and this one was closest to the PP rating required (a slight engine power cut to get it down from 557 to 550 was needed).

Looking a bit like the early stealth technology (cue F-117) the car certainly cuts a dashing figure. In terms of driving it is surprisingly more docile than I would have thought. It will largely not tolerate full throttle applications at lower speeds without wagging its tail but it is not a problem to catch slides at almost 200 kmh at the same time. As long as you are a bit gentler with the steering and throttle the car works just fine, with no real vices. Drive it in a hamfisted way and it starts falling apart, sliding its way all over the place.

The front of course does not have much bite, so a bit of gas is the answer to get the car pointing in the right way. Once settled in a corner it tends to again push out in the front first, if you keep the throttle planted through a corner.

The braking is stable (even into corners) and in all honesty, one would have to be really difficult to get the car to the impaling stage but it is at the same time hard to extract good times, so the advanced rating is warranted.

A surprisingly good steer overall, even if it requires lots of concentration (just like the real thing then, I recon) 👍

*cough* *cough* Holy cow my account is still alive ?

No I didn't die, I briefly talked with Leo some time ago via messenger... Anyways there's a few reasons I showed up again

1. I finally bothered to get my PS3 hooked-up to the net, kinda. I've got the PSN thing and Youtube sorted, but haven't played any games on-line (mostly because I don't have any worth the effort)
2. I'm thinking of getting GT5 again (*gasp* I got rid of it o.o), not because PD, as far as I've checked, has turned GT5 from a disappointment into GT5.9, but because race season is coming to a close for me and my track-car, and I'll need something to do to pass the winter.
3. This video It reminded/showed me how good 60fps and such looks, plus last time I played was on a 20" plain-jane TV, I now have a nice 32" LCD HD TV, should be very interesting to see how it looks now with the updates.

It'll probably be snow-fall before I actually get the game again, and my cheap-a$$ will probably only get the free DLC, but I just wanted to see if ya'll forgotten me or not, and if you guys would be interested in meeting me on-line sometime, in whatever car I decide to go with this time (no more Impreza, can't remember settings XD)

My driving skills aren't rusty at all though, I've been busy in my absense. 👍
n1ytms.jpg

Edit: Just discovered I deleted my data in a memory-purge at some point, looks like I'll be starting from strach, ah-jeez...

Last edited:
OK, here is a short review..

You call that short? I call it adequate. ;) :D Thanks for the feedback. My copy should be arriving soonish assuming that USPS doesn't lose that one too.. :grumpy:

Another quick review of the Countach 560 SV.
A surprisingly good steer overall, even if it requires lots of concentration (just like the real thing then, I recon) 👍

Ah yes, one of my favourite Bulls.. It is slightly greasy goose but gets the job done.

*cough* *cough* Holy cow my account is still alive ?

No I didn't die, I briefly talked with Leo some time ago via messenger... Anyways there's a few reasons I showed up again

1. I finally bothered to get my PS3 hooked-up to the net, kinda. I've got the PSN thing and Youtube sorted, but haven't played any games on-line (mostly because I don't have any worth the effort)
2. I'm thinking of getting GT5 again (*gasp* I got rid of it o.o), not because PD, as far as I've checked, has turned GT5 from a disappointment into GT5.9, but because race season is coming to a close for me and my track-car, and I'll need something to do to pass the winter.
3. This video It reminded/showed me how good 60fps and such looks, plus last time I played was on a 20" plain-jane TV, I now have a nice 32" LCD HD TV, should be very interesting to see how it looks now with the updates.

It'll probably be snow-fall before I actually get the game again, and my cheap-a$$ will probably only get the free DLC, but I just wanted to see if ya'll forgotten me or not, and if you guys would be interested in meeting me on-line sometime, in whatever car I decide to go with this time (no more Impreza, can't remember settings XD)

My driving skills aren't rusty at all though, I've been busy in my absense. 👍
n1ytms.jpg

Edit: Just discovered I deleted my data in a memory-purge at some point, looks like I'll be starting from strach, ah-jeez...

Welcome back. And there's no chance I'd let you slip away, after all, you're one of old beards here. :D And I never doubted that you'd lose your skills.. although, I might try and create yet another Grim R34per to awaken your inner "God Foot".. ;)

Welcome back. And there's no chance I'd let you slip away, after all, you're one of old beards here. :D And I never doubted that you'd lose your skills.. although, I might try and create yet another Grim R34per to awaken your inner "God Foot".. ;)

Haha, you know what, after I posted I started thinking about all the great cars I've driven from/for MFT over time, Grim R34per being one, as well as Greycap's Group B Peugeot 205 T16 Evo. (which I see has been given some new camera-time), which I remember being approached by MFT to drive on the hush-hush prior to its release, still one of the greatest drives in my experience...

I think the last time I posted in here was like pg.10 or so, we're now on pg.79, so I've got some catch-up to do :scared:, soon as I'm up to speed in GT5 and not busy smashing my head into the desk from the dull license-tests (got it today figuring I might as well get started), I'll be sure to start reviewing some more cars and eventually figuring out on-line stuff to virtually meet you guys. 👍

Wahey, the game collection package arrived after spending 2 months in the belly of USPS. It was beaten and ripped, but everything was more or less intact and accounted for.. Including my GT5 CE :D

Wahey, the game collection package arrived after spending 2 months in the belly of USPS. It was beaten and ripped, but everything was more or less intact and accounted for.. Including my GT5 CE :D

Well, the story had a happy ending at the very least. Thank god for that. Now, back to the job!:dopey:

Okay, what would you guys want to see from us? FF/FR/MR/AWD, K-car, hatch, sportscars, supercars, race/rallycars? Seasonal specials?

Okay, what would you guys want to see from us? FF/FR/MR/AWD, K-car, hatch, sportscars, supercars, race/rallycars? Seasonal specials?

I'd say seasonal specials, coupled with a bit of those fun low-powered cars like a Nissan Primera that no-one seems to drive often.

Yes! Tune a Opel Corsa with only engine maxed out (that means no weight reduction , the rest is allowed) to the ring on SH tires! :)
I once saw one transformed to RWD :eek:

Tune crappy cars to superstars for example this weeks old OCD. ;)

I'd say seasonal specials, coupled with a bit of those fun low-powered cars like a Nissan Primera that no-one seems to drive often.

Ha, you mean the Primera GTe? I've driven one of those IRL, broke a driveshaft during enthusiastic driving.. *cough* :D

Yes! Tune a Opel Corsa with only engine maxed out (that means no weight reduction , the rest is allowed) to the ring on SH tires! :)
I once saw one transformed to RWD :eek:

Tune crappy cars to superstars for example this weeks old OCD. ;)

I'll take a look at those.👍

Ha, you mean the Primera GTe? I've driven one of those IRL, broke a driveshaft during enthusiastic driving.. *cough* :D
Auch, that had to hurt...:dopey: I guess that one of the great things about the car. It looks like another grocery getter, but it is addictive to drive in GT5 and IRL. On mountain roads, then... oh man, it's good!:drool:

kingmoshoeshoe2 - No doubt about the Challenger being the harder of the two to drive, it's my creation after all. :D And as you can see from the posted times I disagree about it being slower but then again my driving style is what it is - "let's see if this thing still turns at this speed" isn't far off. It's also what's needed to drive such an overpowered, undertyred and brick-shaped car to anywhere close to its full potential, that vehicle isn't a precision tool by any means.

On the subject of the upcoming pair (only three months after the previous one) we're about to present two cars which we, pretty surprisingly actually, never even considered in GT4 despite them being cult cars with nearly no match. I don't know how Leo's project is turning out but I'm quite pleased with mine.

Not all your cars are more difficult to drive, Greycap - in fact I found the Ford Mustang Mach 2 '71 much easier to drive than the partner Camaro Z/496 '69. :)

The Ford is much more modern grip than muscle car slip, and definitely does not seem to display any 1971 traits. The front end has surprising amounts of grip and the car will per se not understeer, whether on part throttle or fully engaged. At the same time the throttle can be used with abandon - only the most brutal applications resulting in the back really starting to come around. Otherwise the only thing happening is a line adjustment, which makes the Mustang a surprisingly capable long distance race car.

I generally found it easy to extract consistent lap times out of it on several tracks but in all honesty, PP wise it is not as fast as some of the lower rated more modern 500PP specials that the two of you have produced for me over time.

What I also liked (on GVS, especially) is how completely unfazed the car was over kerbs, allowing a pretty good speed over the top of hill chicane, which I find difficult with machines less forgiving in that respect.

Most of the time I would beat the Camaro's times by a second a lap - it would take an exceptionally concentrated lap in the Camaro to shave the difference down to half a second.

So a surprisingly modern, easy to drive and reasonably fast muscle car, one I can imagine using often in the appropriate seasonals.

The Camaro is more muscle car conform. I tried it in two variations, one with power lowered to get it to slip under the 500PP mark (for the seasonals) but with lower grade sports tyres, and one fully as intended. In spite of a significant power and torque cut to get it to 500PP, one needed to thread a thin line to prevent liberal oversteer in that application. It was fast enough to win the events but required real concentration, as any oversteer seemed to have cost loads of time.

But back to the intended configuration, with all the torque and sport softs. The rear tyres still get easily overwhelmed by the engine, so any full application on a less than fully straight steering wheel angle will likely get the back to come around. On one hand this is a useful trait, as the car displays fairly low grip levels at the front on part throttle. This means that you need a gas to help steer the car through slower corners.

If you manage to keep the slide angles small and your steering inputs gradual, good times can be extracted - again more modern machinery will match or beat those on a lower PP level, and probably more reproducibly, too. It is also a car that will give you more of a warm glow if you get a lap just right (maybe that has to do with my level of skill :)).

Overall two cars very different in character, one a muscle car like one would imagine, the other a much more modern, grip like tune - and finally two muscle cars from the earlier period that will allow every novice to stay on the track. 👍

Felt like some Grand Turismo this afternoon, so went for the Aston Marin Vanquish GT '04. It sure looks nice and Greycap resisted the urge to add any visual tweaks, leaving the pure shape intact. 👍

While you wax lyrical about the performance being transformed (which it certainly is), let there be no doubt about it - this is still a GT first and a performance machine second. In spite of significant lightening, the car remains nose heavy (58/42) and the grip is certainly better at the back than at the front.

This is not to say that the Vanquish is slow. The acceleration is certainly great, to say the least and the ratios judged perfectly for a seamless uptake at upshifts (important for a GT - works wonderfully with an automatic gearbox). Another strong suit is the rock solid braking - whether it is on a straight or into a corner, as soon as you throw down the anchors, the car just decelerates straight and true (also a good way to quell any slides or tankslappers you might have gotten yourself into).

Where more care is required is in cornering. The nose will plow wide if you do not adjust your expectations of front grip downwards, so turn-in is generally not exactly sharp. As usual for a Greycap car, going through corners with a feathered throttle will not work, with the nose continuing to push wide and the rear not helping. At the same time one better takes care not to apply throttle too early - it seems to work best on a steady throttle throughout the corner. You will then rely on the good acceleration straight out of the corner (almost irrespective of revs) to compensate for the slightly later application of the throttle.

Tried it at Rome, GVS, TM and Suzuka and none of the tracks seemed to fit perfectly. Fast sweepers are often a problem as the front progressively washes wide (Rome, GVS last corner, Suzuka 200R...); in slow corners, such as inbetween the first and second tunnels at GVS you need to constantly balance the car between under- and oversteer.

Of the tracks I think it works best in Rome and worst at TM but then again I am requiring things of it that a GT should not be asked to deliver. The times are still impressive but on the other hand some of your other machinery with similar PP ratings will be faster even in the hands of average drivers (let alone novices).

Nice tune overall but not something I would recommend for longer distances or endurance races, as it really seems to drain you if the other machinery is to be actively kept behind :) Still one of the prettier ones, though ;)

To go from GT to proper weekend racer, it was Spoon NSX Type-R's '02 turn after the Aston. Now I did try the car out during its gestation period but it was a borrowed example (one careful Finnish owner) and I somehow never got around to putting one of my own together and reviewing it.

Now I have been putting miles on various NSXs but most of those were either lower powered (a green Finnish one getting plenty of use) or racing examples. Greycap's Spoon version is certainly one of the unruliest - and at the same time fastest - examples out there ;)

One of the main characteristics of the car is oversteer and lots of it. This is not to say that grip is lacking per se, only that one needs to be careful when applying the throttle. The thing is that the car may oversteer even at 180 kmh plus - surprising for a naturally aspirated NSX. On the other hand, if you are careful (and probably this works much better with a steering wheel and pedal setup) surprising speeds are possible.

It took me several laps both at Suzuka and GVS before I started getting comfortable with the car and still I did not manage laps as consistent as with the Aston beforehand. The braking is not as stable as usual with your cars, so some care is needed when braking into the first corner at GVS and the top of the hill chicane is a more difficult affair than usually. The swimming pool section is generally stress-free, though.

Overall a really fast car but not a particularly easy one to drive. But a good way to learn throttle control, MR handling characteristics and gentle steering inputs 👍 Some tracks, like TM and Tokyo are still waiting for the Spoon, so I better get to it :)

Last edited:
Where on earth did those reviews come from? I haven't received a single email notification about new posts. :confused:

But yes, in short, the Mustang was a surprise second to none, the Vanquish can't really be anything else than a land yacht (but that's what a GT is supposed to be anyway) and the NSX probably could be improved by the current physics. The physics engine has changed quite a lot from 1.x to 2.0x, not to mention 2.08 and honestly speaking I have no idea which ones work and which don't anymore.

And the cars we were supposed to release around two weeks ago, well, let's just say that we have a bit of a scheduling problem. Meaning that when I sleep Leonidae is awake and vice versa. The cars are done but getting them out is proving to be somewhat hard. Going to happen eventually though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back