Makinen Retires after 2003

From WRC.com:

Four-time world champ Tommi Makinen says he will retire at the end of this season, but the Subaru driver aims to go out on a high by winning a record fifth title, reports Autosport magazine.

"In my mind I am already thinking about retiring," said Makinen. "This is not going to have any effect on the way I drive this year, though. I will be pushing hard and giving everything 100 percent effort to make sure I go out on a high and win this year."

Makinen admitted that his performance last season wasn't his best – he won one rally and finished eighth in the standings in his first year with Subaru. But the Finn is determined this year will be different and has high hopes for the team's new Impreza WRC, which makes its debut on next week's Monte Carlo Rally.

"I feel good about the new car," he said. "From the testing we've found some very good performance for this year. I lost a little motivation in Finland last year, that won't happen this time around. I want to win the championship again."

Makinen won four consecutive world titles between 1996 and 1999 and currently lies second in the WRC wins table, with 24 victories to his name – one less than 1995 world champ Colin McRae.

Will he come back from this decision, or is he serious?

Personally, I think he should have retired at the end of last season. He seemed much less than his normal self, and was fairly comprehensively out-performed by Solberg.

I think he's serious. He nearly retired at the end of 2001, but decided to carry on for 2-3 more years.

After all he's been there and done it all, and several times over. He's a family man and has a farm to run. The WRC requires almost total commitment because of the huge schedule, especially with all the testing a top team needs, and I think he's probably had enough.

One of the greats of rallying, he will be missed though.

As far as I have read, he's NOT retiring! He said something about retiring in an interview, but it has been pulled out of context.

Tommi scotches retirement talk
Monte Carlo · Subaru · Tommi Mäkinen · 23/01/2003 09:13:10

Subaru's Tommi Makinen denies he has already made up his mind to retire at the end of the 2003 season.

Reports Makinen had decided to quit emerged from a recent interview the four-time world champ gave on Finnish television, but Makinen says that has been blown out of proportion.

"This situation is the same as a year ago when I left Mitsubishi," said the Finn. "I wasn't sure then and I am not sure now. For the time being I don't feel any pressure to retire, certainly not any pressure from Subaru to retire. What's for the future? Who can say?

"I was very surprised about those stories because I'd given a little interview in Finland and said one little thing and suddenly it is all over the newspapers," he continued. "It has been blown out of all proportion."
This came from the official WRC website (wrc.com)

Just read on wrc.com that his comments were blown out of proportion. He says that he thought about retiring in his last season with Mitsubishi. Maybe he should just wait until the end of the season to announce anything.

Originally posted by focus117
I don't really want him to retire. It's going to be real sad without him.

Certainly, if he's going to continue in the same vein as he did in Sweden, then he'll be a loss to the championship. The Tommi of 2002, however, would not be missed.

I actually thought his commitment last year was so lacking that he posed a threat to himself and others - we've all seen rally drivers have huge shunts when they're not totally focussed.

It would indeed be a shame if the Makinen from Sweden would retire.

I watched the summary of the first day on Eurosport, and during a small interview at the end of that day, i noticed a little sparkle in his eyes. Haven't seen that sparkle once in 2002. Maybe a good sign for the rest of the season.

Originally posted by oosacker
Time for younger drivers to take over?

There's definitely a 'new generation' in rallying, with Loeb, Solberg, Martin and Duval. The older drivers will be beginning to think that it might be time to hang up their boots. I know that Sainz and McRae are on one-year deals, for example.

Originally posted by supra229
He was good and he was one of the more experienced drivers.

I heard somewhere the McRae was retiring too is this true?

People talk of McRae's one-year Citroen deal as being his 'last chance'. He hasn't actually said that he's going to retire though.

I don't think McRae will retire next year, unless he's unwilling to take a paycut.

The emergence of Solberg, Martin, Duval and Loeb will surely dent the earnings of the established aces.

Hi 2 all out there I am new here :rolleyes: and I just wanted 2 comment on Tommi retiring.
I am a huge fan of Tommi and just wanted 2 meet other Tommi fans.
I can asure u Tommi is retiring and can get back-up on that 4 u soon.
So if there is any Tommi fans out there....pleaze contact me.
Lyndsey

Heh.
Just have to say this.

I got Mäkinen's autograph (personally of course) before he even won his first world championship. Back in 1995 that was. And also Grönholms autograph from the same year!!!!!:eek:

well, makinen would have been the wrc champion if he hadn't left mitubishi! well, he got his title when he was still in mitsubishi, and also got his "lancer evolution VI tommi makinen edition."

well, gud luck for his career in subaru! :cheers:

Attachments

• 9940.jpg
    9940.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 19
Back