Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
bz__kqgiiaiph8-e1413455574310.png

November can't come fast enough.

MK8 is my first Mario Kart game, and I'm having a blast. Can't wait for the B Dasher to arrive. I'm also curious to see if the DLC will include any new wheels like the Mercedes one did. Off-Road tires tend to be the most fitting for the older looking vehicles but they're not always the fastest. Something with a similar look but with equivalent stats to the slims would be nice.

Well, welcome to the crazy world of MK. :D I have started a stamp hunt on the game since i only have 69 of the 90 available. This should tide me well up until the DLC. Most excited about the new tracks, especially the F-zero one.

MK8 is my first Mario Kart game, and I'm having a blast. Can't wait for the B Dasher to arrive. I'm also curious to see if the DLC will include any new wheels like the Mercedes one did. Off-Road tires tend to be the most fitting for the older looking vehicles but they're not always the fastest. Something with a similar look but with equivalent stats to the slims would be nice.
If you're having a blast with this one, you'd explode if you played Mario Kart Double Dash. :P

Currently going back and doing a stamp run of the game, I find it amazing that in 160 hours playtime I have barely touched most of the playable cast. :lol:

Currently going back and doing a stamp run of the game, I find it amazing that in 160 hours playtime I have barely touched most of the playable cast. :lol:
I've been doing the same since I can't currently play online. I one-starred all the GPs and got half of the time trials now, but I've yet to win a GP with any of the babies.

Otherwise though, I tend to vary the drivers I use. I even made a spreadsheet (:boggled:) to list which kart combos I use for each driver (and compare their stats), and I'm trying to make sure there's at least one combo I like for each character.

Pink Gold Peach in the Prancer with Button wheels and a regular glider is surprisingly good. I normally wouldn't use that character but the combo makes sense and it's pretty fast too, so I use it occasionally. I'm a stickler for karts looking reasonable. No rollers on the Circuit Special for me, thanks.

So a new video reveals Yoshi Circuit as a new track in the upcoming DLC, along with the last kart of the pack, the Tanooki Buggy.

large.jpg

tanooki_buggy_mario_kart_8_dlc.jpg

The inclusion of Yoshi Circuit changes things a bit as it means tracks that have been redone in recent other games are still fair game for inclusion in the DLC. I don't have much of an opinion on this but I know others really enjoyed some redone tracks in Double Dash. Personally, I'm digging the Buggy. I was starting to feel there weren't enough large, overbearing vehicles for Bowser or DK to drive. I'm sick of the ATV and Badwagon, and I don't think anyone really likes the Steel Driver.

The Steel Driver is atrocious. I only use it for a really, really hard challenge on Mirror mode. :lol:

So a new video reveals Yoshi Circuit as a new track in the upcoming DLC, along with the last kart of the pack, the Tanooki Buggy.

large.jpg

tanooki_buggy_mario_kart_8_dlc.jpg

The inclusion of Yoshi Circuit changes things a bit as it means tracks that have been redone in recent other games are still fair game for inclusion in the DLC. I don't have much of an opinion on this but I know others really enjoyed some redone tracks in Double Dash. Personally, I'm digging the Buggy. I was starting to feel there weren't enough large, overbearing vehicles for Bowser or DK to drive. I'm sick of the ATV and Badwagon, and I don't think anyone really likes the Steel Driver.

Oh great, the track that I very rarely got first on in MKDD. It was like a curse. :lol:

Yoshi Circuit looks like it has some fun curves. I never played Double Dash, the gimmick and kart designs turned me off and the handling appeared too wacky for me.

I, too, am digging the Tanooki Buggy. It resembles a Toyota FJ or similar 4x4. :)

So I'm trying as hard as I can to get close to the world record times... but in a bike. This is my most successful attempt on Water Park so far.
zlCfzSlHQhkggNm42s

Considering I'm using a bike, this is a pretty good time. I'm still 6 seconds behind the world record though. Definately not gonna happen unless bikes somehow gain the ability to fire hop. :lol:

Or you know, give us the ability to wheelie again.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about Yoshi Circuit being included. It's nice to see a retro track from MKDS get upgraded to HD. But at the same time, I feel it's too soon to start rehashing Double Dash tracks when there are still some great courses in that game that deserve to be in a newer Mario Kart already:
Wario_Colosseum.jpg

Yoshi Circuit looks like it has some fun curves. I never played Double Dash, the gimmick and kart designs turned me off and the handling appeared too wacky for me.

I, too, am digging the Tanooki Buggy. It resembles a Toyota FJ or similar 4x4. :)
Double Dash is the best Mario Kart game and you can't say anything bad about it. :sly:
I have mixed feelings about Yoshi Circuit being included. It's nice to see a retro track from MKDS get upgraded to HD. But at the same time, I feel it's too soon to start rehashing Double Dash tracks when there are still some great courses in that game that deserve to be in a newer Mario Kart already:
Wario_Colosseum.jpg
Eww, no. What we really need is Daisy Cruiser.

zlCfzSllO3YultPkbU

5 seconds off the world record now, in a bike...

Please give us the ability to wheelie like we did in MKWii Nintendo. Please. :)

Wario_Colosseum.jpg
God, I wish this was in the DLC.

Having earned three stars on all cups in all four classes, I started playing around with custom four-race runs against Hard AI on Frantic mode -- wow, it gets hectic but it's so fun the way Frantic invigorates your defense of pole position. :)

I wish I had thought to give it a go sooner.

Man, as this is Nintendo's first real attempt at DLC, I am really impressed since the production values seem high. Gotta love Excitebike.

Man, I hate how after 7000 VR you enter the realm of the 'try-hards' Rosalinas on sport bikes everywhere.

Fun times.

Why do I even play this game.

Last edited:
That's one epic final-lap stomping.

I'm sure I'll continue playing online multiplayer in the future, but I've been staying offline when I play lately.

That bad luck though. I've started to play online and I've quickly gained 1000 VR to around the 2300 mark.

When I play online, I usually do a couple Worldwide races and then stick to the MK8 World Cup in the Tournament section. Sure, you don't get VR and any points you accumulate disappear at the end of the week, but from my experience, I get some pretty competitive races with other players using a variety of characters. Still run into Wario and Morton users from time to time, but it's normally not that bad.

VR becomes a bit of a farce at higher levels, been stuck at 74xx for about 3 weeks. :lol:

LKSADF.png

So, apparently the Link Amiibo will be compatible with Mario Kart 8 then, that's great news since there was rumors of this not being the case. Interestingly this means that we should expect another Mario Kart 8 version soon since I've not seen any hits of 2.0 having the inbuilt Amiibo functionality. So, maybe it won't just be the DLC we get in the next few weeks but a few other tweaks?

I prefer using Miis. I have one for each weight class, so I use the Super Heavy one for time trials, and Heavy and Medium for racing.

Back