Premium
Scotland
Scotland
GTSophy-Lapos
ClassicBrend
Logo_EN_-_Mario_Kart_8.png

Platform: Wii U
Release Date: 30th May 2014

For me, this is the biggest, most exciting game of the year. Pure 1080p 60 FPS Mario Kart goodness with some anti-gravity thrown in for good measure, anybody else hype about this?

Game Revolution - 100%
Eurogamer - 100%
Game Informer - 93%
Destructoid - 90%
The Escapist - 90%
German GamePro - 90%
EDGE Magazine - 90%
IGN - 90%
Polygon - 90%
Game Trailers - 86%
Gamespot - 80%

Unofficial tournament/community of the thread!

7748-5483-8361 - GTP Karting Society

Day(Provisional) - Saturday
Time(Provisional) - 11:00/30PM (GMT)
Class: 150cc
Items: ALL
Kart types: ALL

GTP Karting Society Members(GTP-NNID):
@Classic - ClassicBrend
@peobryant - 1stGenCummins

@RESHIRAM5 - RESHIRAM5
@Wolfe - Wolfe2x7
@Mega Umbreon - CarolinaFoxGT
@GranTurismo916 - Nii916

@steele7xx - Nintendwan

Last edited:
I'm excited for this game. It isn't close to being the one I'm most excited for but it will finally give me a reason to play my Wii U.

Yeah, could be the Wii U's saviour for a while for those who have nothing to play, although I've actually been surprisingly fine since Christmas. :lol:

I will send you a friend request. :)

Very excited to get this game. I'm getting a Wii U tomorrow because, I want this game :P.

Excited to play as Larry Koopa (my favourite Koopaling) and they even made me love the 64 Rainbow Road (which was my least favourite track in any racing game until now).

If you guys want to add me my Nintendo ID is: RESHIRAM5 (I only have a 3DS at the moment).

I just watched it and learned about all the new information. This is incredible, they are really going all the way...also, FREE GAME:

10330437_10202986065005293_3765979329571830400_n.jpg

Clarification for those of us in North America:
GameSpot
Update: Hold up! Wii U owners in North America don't get to pick from one of 10 free games: they can only choose from four. The titles on offer in the US are New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and Wii Party U.

European customers, however, get to choose one game from the list of ten below when they purchase a copy of Mario Kart 8.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni...-u-game-if-you-buy-mario-kart-8/1100-6419314/

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to try to get this Day 1, it looks amazing for a Nintendo console. It will be a nice addition to GT6 and the Wind Waker HD, which are the only games I play nowadays. Does anyone know if there are any pre-order bonuses?

I'm definitely going to try to get this Day 1, it looks amazing for a Nintendo console. It will be a nice addition to GT6 and the Wind Waker HD, which are the only games I play nowadays. Does anyone know if there are any pre-order bonuses?

No pre-order bonuses that I'm aware of but if you buy it (and register the title) before the end of July you can choose between 4 Wii U titles if you're in the NA region and 10 Wii U titles if you're in the EU.

I've been so out of touch with Mario Kart for the past several years that I forgot to get Mario Kart 7. :lol:
As a mega fan, you didn't miss much. However, MK8 looks incredible.

If you pre-order it from Best-Buy you get $10 of gas Ive heard. :lol:

Who's everyone gonna main then?

mk8characterselect.png

Also, for those who haven't yet added me, NiD is in my signature. ;)

I don't even know who the characters on the bottom row are. :lol: But if I were to choose a main guy, Baby Luigi will be the one I'll play with the most. :D

Either Yoshi or ShyGuy will be my main. My Nintendo Network ID is in my signature as well, everyone is more than welcome to add me.

It's gotta be Koopa(I think).
@Doodle - That be the Koopalings, Bowser's Children minions.

Koopalings.jpg

Edited for Nintendo censoring.

Also, for UK people, Tesco are doing a Wii U deal that comes with MK8(and thus one of the 10 free games) for £190!

Not much of a kart racing guy, but the game looks really good. Mario Kart always should. Probably gonna get it even if I only use my WiiU to browse the internet. I play Wario and my younger brother plays Luigi and since 7 came out, Shy Guy.

I've been keeping an eye on this game for a while now.

Roster to me...seems a bit meh to be honest, questionable choices like Pink Gold Peach for example. I'm fine with the other characters though. Those tracks are really something though.

I will most likely main either Mii or Luigi. Luigi was my main on Mario Kart 7, so he'll be staying as my main in 8.

Definitely a reason to pick up a Wii U, for sure!

I've been keeping an eye on this game for a while now.

Roster to me...seems a bit meh to be honest, questionable choices like Pink Gold Peach for example. I'm fine with the other characters though. Those tracks are really something though.

I will most likely main either Mii or Luigi. Luigi was my main on Mario Kart 7, so he'll be staying as my main in 8.

Definitely a reason to pick up a Wii U, for sure!
Luigi will be my main as well. He always has been since Super Circuit for the GBA.

Luigi will be my main. They need to bring back Paratroopa...:( if he was in the game, he'd be my main. I'll also consider Toad, Shy Guy, both the baby brothers, and Rosalina.

I played Yoshi in the original games, and later Luigi (occasionally Mii on MKWii). I think I'm going to try Ludwig von Koopa this time.

My NID is in my signature. :)

I played Yoshi in the original games, and later Luigi (occasionally Mii on MKWii). I think I'm going to try Ludwig von Koopa this time.

My NID is in my signature. :)
I've been thinking about Ludwig too. He's always been one of my favorite Koopalings. Its gonna be weird playing Mario Kart though. Its been a while since I've played a less "serious" racing game haha.

I'll definitely be my favourite character Yoshi and my favourite Koopaling Larry.

At first I was disappointed that Bikes returned due to them being OP but I'm glad they made them balanced.

I say we should have a weekly GTPlanet Mario Kart Tournament.

Seen some people saying MK8 is 'ripping off' Sonic All-Stars transformed because of the new horn item. So stupid, SASRT is an amazing game in its own right and MK should be taking leaves out of it's book in my opinion. Higher speeds as one example.

Seen some people saying MK8 is 'ripping off' Sonic All-Stars transformed because of the new horn item. So stupid, SASRT is an amazing game in its own right and MK should be taking leaves out of it's book in my opinion. Higher speeds as one example.
Didn't people call SASRT a rip off because of the air and sea mechanics.

I do believe there needs to be a 200cc class but Mario Kart tracks are more tight and higher speeds would require braking which is not a method common in Kart racing. Along with 200cc, I reckon Mirror Class should be dropped. It only adds frustration, IMO as Mirror tracks don't have anything special. I would replace it with a Reverse Class where you do every race backwards (With added stuff to actually make the races finishable).

On my personal combo that I'll use many times in races and online, it is a tough choice between Larry and Yoshi but I will be using the Kart Body shown in the gif that is drifting.

Back