Mario Kart 8

• Thread starter Brend
  • 1,093 comments
Totally agreed. I got a Fox amiibo primarily because...well, it's Star Fox merchandise. :lol: The miis are a joke in MK8, they look awesome in Smash so it's really disappointing when you compare the two. The MK8 fox outfit is pretty cool but a little bit 'furry' for my liking. :P I should be getting an awesome piece on MK8 merchandise coming through my door any day now, I will be sure to share it with you guys. ;)
Since I got my Samus Amiibo with SSB4, today I made a Mii for her (with an Other-M-inspired pouty face) to use with the Chozo-armor-styled racing suit in this game. The Mii proportions are a little goofy, but at least I can decide if I want her to be a heavy character or a medium character like I'm accustomed to.

It's a nifty feature, but it's really not worth getting an Amiibo just for MK8.

Yup, it's here!
10599686_10204515308675429_4877331740076334870_n.jpg

10805623_10204515311195492_5978971981510226263_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hit 9000VR today and as a result it put me in a room with a world record holder. Welp. :lol:

Finally hit 10,000 VR today. Quite pleased with my progress over the last month. :)

zlCfzSuuIBQzArMaib

Also I got an offer to join a clan. Well that's neat but I'm not sure if I'm interested in clanning yet.

Last edited:
Just noticed the front of the bike makes a 1-up mushroom. The little details, man. I've been very busy with Smash recently so I haven't really touched MK8 aside from an hour on Saturday, sitting at 8888 VR, so excited for 10K myself. :D

I've already put nearly half as many hours into SSB4 as I've done in MK8, in a fraction of the time. :lol: On the flipside, I went back to MK8 after finishing the initial run through the events in Forza Horizon 2, something I would not have expected. MK8 offers better racing, and FH2's map is kind of dull.

I found a similar situation too Wolfe, I tried playing Gran Turismo 6 and the A.I are worse than MK8's without items, staggering! And I am talking real racing techniques, drafting and slingshots included. :lol: I've played Smash for 36 hours since its EU release on Thursday, I absolutely adore it...although I still think MK8 is a 'cleaner' experience allround. That being said, I think MK looks incredibly shoddy compared to Smash in terms of variety in events, we really need a return of an events mode in Mario Kart for the next iteration.

@Classic and I got destroyed in online races last night. Man that was brutal. I'm lucky I even got a 2nd place finish in a room with guys of 15-20k VR :lol:

@Classic and I got destroyed in online races last night. Man that was brutal. I'm lucky I even got a 2nd place finish in a room with guys of 15-20k VR :lol:
My best finish was a 5th. :scared:

I couldn't believe it when all those guys came out of nowhere, the first few races were okay and then we were scrapping for 7th most of the time. :lol:

The last mario kart game I have played is Mario Kart double dash for Gamecube, what is MC8 like and how is it different from double dash (besides the graphics of course)?

The last mario kart game I have played is Mario Kart double dash for Gamecube, what is MC8 like and how is it different from double dash (besides the graphics of course)?
MK8 is great, but no Mario Kart game is better than Double Dash. That game is too good. It's scary.

I actually prefer Mario Kart Wii to both games.

The main difference I can think of right now are the item system, gameplay mechanics, vehicle customization, and more than twice as many tracks. I can't get into too much detail because I didn't play Double Dash that much.

@GranTurismo916 add me on Nintendo Network. I'll give you a sneak peak at the high level online rooms. ;)

I actually prefer Mario Kart Wii to both games.

The main difference I can think of right now are the item system, gameplay mechanics, vehicle customization, and more than twice as many tracks. I can't get into too much detail because I didn't play Double Dash that much.
Mario Kart Wii's graphics made the game boring to me somehow.

Mario Kart Wii's graphics made the game boring to me somehow.

I guess for me it was by far my favorite because of the sheer competetiveness of it, along with some awesome shortcuts and how you can be strategic with your items.

In terms of sheer enjoyment MKDS was the best in my opinion. Plus, snaking was fun.

@ukfan758 Well, with any long standing series' the changes made are incremental, there's no 'revolution' but more-so an example of video game mastery. You will be harder pressed to find a video game with as much polish, shine and fun as the newest Mario Kart. Whilst, everyone has their favourite Mario Kart games, I think it's fair to say objectively that MK8 is the pinnacle for the series' in terms of being a complete package. If you really want to know 'differences' since MK:DD then: Paragliders, Under-water driving, Anti-Gravity, a real orchestratal live recorded soundtrack, 6 control schemes, a larger track roster, online play and tournaments, bikes, kart customisation, highlight reels(editable), online leaderboards and a terrible new version of battle mode. :lol:

Battle mode aside, MK8 is the best kart racer I've ever played (I did not play MKDD or the handheld games). Great track designs, great music, tight physics, a billion times better item balance than MKWii, and perhaps the smoothest online multiplayer of any Nintendo game.

Battle mode aside, MK8 is the best kart racer I've ever played (I did not play MKDD or the handheld games). Great track designs, great music, tight physics, a billion times better item balance than MKWii, and perhaps the smoothest online multiplayer of any Nintendo game.
I was surprised at the online in this game. I have not played one Nintendo game where the online isn't nearly unplayable besides this game.

Mario Kart 8 is a sensational title, it's pretty hard to have any complaints beyond nit-picking for the sake of making a party game more 'competitive'.

I tend to enjoy the competetive parts. :P
I do as well, quite a lot but to make criticism of a game that isn't built outright for competitive play just seems a bit snide and faults that don't really matter for what Nintendo are aiming for with Mario Kart. :lol:

Long time no see GTP Karters. Enjoying my White Yoshi :P.

I really have no idea why I enjoy Mario Kart 8? but I got back to it with the DLC and still loved it as I did before where I stopped playing for a Month because of SM3DW :P.

Starting to get into the groove with MK8. It's such a great game. Not up to scratch to compete online yet.

Sorry Wolfe but I'm going to have to disagree as the item balance in MK8 is the only real issue I have with what is otherwise a fantastic game.

The item distribution is too random. Sometimes, the game gives me reasonable items for the place I'm in. But other times, that's not the case. I've gotten powerful items like the Crazy 8 and triple red shells in 2nd. Once, I got a Star in 3rd. On the other end, I would find myself getting a worthless green shell or banana in 8th. It's just so inconsistent. Not to mention, there were times when people ahead of me got better items than I did.

Some people have said that the item distribution is based on the amount of distance between you and other players, but honestly, I see little evidence of that. For example, on a few occasions, I've gotten the Fire Flower when there were no players around me to attack. The game just gives me whatever items it feels like giving me.

I could go deeper about this subject, but I don't want to make this post too long. I just think this iteration of Mario Kart could have been nearly flawless if I didn't keep having these experiences with the item system.

Sorry Wolfe but I'm going to have to disagree as the item balance in MK8 is the only real issue I have with what is otherwise a fantastic game.

The item distribution is too random. Sometimes, the game gives me reasonable items for the place I'm in. But other times, that's not the case. I've gotten powerful items like the Crazy 8 and triple red shells in 2nd. Once, I got a Star in 3rd. On the other end, I would find myself getting a worthless green shell or banana in 8th. It's just so inconsistent. Not to mention, there were times when people ahead of me got better items than I did.

Some people have said that the item distribution is based on the amount of distance between you and other players, but honestly, I see little evidence of that. For example, on a few occasions, I've gotten the Fire Flower when there were no players around me to attack. The game just gives me whatever items it feels like giving me.

I could go deeper about this subject, but I don't want to make this post too long. I just think this iteration of Mario Kart could have been nearly flawless if I didn't keep having these experiences with the item system.
I also think the items become more powerful every lap as when my brother is at the right distance, he gets a 🤬 3 red shells and I get sent back and it only happens on the 3rd lap.

It is do more evident if you compare an overlap challenge and being close in 12th place. Overlap challenge gives you typical last place items until you get too close. While when I was 12th and in a pack I also got Green Shells and a Bob-Omb.

The system is not perfect, I know (I find it inferior to MK7s item system) but it is an interesting turn around. Though I'd rather this than MkWiis. Where you have cheap 🤬 like the Pow Block. The more common than usual Blue Shell that makes races to random and the Thunder Cloud :scared:. I also think the situation based item system is done as a response to MkWiis especially 1 on 1 where 2nd gets screwed over more than 1st with the Thunder Cloud and every attack item is useless since the 2 item management system and you can't hope for a Blue Shell since 2nd Place couldn't get any.

I still can't get my online to work XD.

Like RESHIRAM5 said, it's not perfect but I think it's way better than MKWii's nonstop punishment. I also enjoy Frantic Mode, which is even more random and gives you a fighting chance to defend pole position.

If the game didn't have coins I wouldnt have any problems with the item distribution. Coins are absolutely horrible.

I also think the items become more powerful every lap as when my brother is at the right distance, he gets a 🤬 3 red shells and I get sent back and it only happens on the 3rd lap.

It is do more evident if you compare an overlap challenge and being close in 12th place. Overlap challenge gives you typical last place items until you get too close. While when I was 12th and in a pack I also got Green Shells and a Bob-Omb.

The system is not perfect, I know (I find it inferior to MK7s item system) but it is an interesting turn around. Though I'd rather this than MkWiis. Where you have cheap 🤬 like the Pow Block. The more common than usual Blue Shell that makes races to random and the Thunder Cloud :scared:. I also think the situation based item system is done as a response to MkWiis especially 1 on 1 where 2nd gets screwed over more than 1st with the Thunder Cloud and every attack item is useless since the 2 item management system and you can't hope for a Blue Shell since 2nd Place couldn't get any.

I still can't get my online to work XD.

I'll agree that some of Mario Kart Wii's items were obnoxious. The Thunder Cloud's hot potato mechanic was a good idea on paper, but it became annoying and unfair really fast when you got it and there was no one around to pass it to. I'm glad it's gone.

The Blue Shell was death with wings in Mario Kart Wii. I'm so happy it was nerfed a bit in MK8. In Wii, it would send you flying into the air, causing you to waste more time recovering and it only affected first place since it could fly instead of traveling on the ground to hit others players on its way up.

I never had issues with the POW Block. It's possible to avoid its effect so you don't lose speed.

(P. S. I did some 1 vs 1 races back when Mario Kart Wii was still online and it is possible to get the Blue Shell in second.)

However, Mario Kart 8 still has some obnoxious items of its own.

As @Classic mentioned, the dreaded coin is given to you when there's no need for it to begin with (seriously, there are coins all over the track already), causing you to be vulnerable to red shells. I wish the Fake Item Box came back in the coin's place. It didn't protect you from red shells either, but at least you could use it as a trap to keep people behind you at bay.

Then there are the green shells. I know I can't be the only one who notices they have this strange semi-homing ability, which can make them even more lethal than red shells since the game doesn't warn you about them and you can't always predict in what direction they'll bounce.

Finally, there's the Piranha Plant. There's nothing wrong with this item in itself...except for the fact that the game does not alert you about it, while it warns you that someone with a star, a Bullet Bill, Blue Shell, etc. is coming up behind you. So inconsistent.

But on a side note, there are the Mushrooms and Stars. I don't know how I feel about their speed being nerfed. They are handy for cutting the track when possible and of course, the Star can protect you from everything. But the red Mushrooms feel useless at times, especially since the game has a weird tendency to give you and anyone else surrounding you triple mushrooms. I rarely firehop, but I sometimes resort to that to get any useful speed out of them.

@Wolfe: I never have been able to participate in Frantic mode race. I wish I could but there is never anyone there.

The Block was just annoying for me when you avoid because you cn't turn during it and you might be heading for a cliff.

As for coins. I personally like it and the 1 item manqement. It allows 2nd to actually do something to 1st unlike in previous game where they would always get something to block, so you can only hope they messed or claim a 🤬 victory when a Blue Shell came. I'll admit Coins are a bit to common though.

I have no problem with the Mushroom. The speed feels much more faster than MK7.

The Block was just annoying for me when you avoid because you cn't turn during it and you might be heading for a cliff.

As for coins. I personally like it and the 1 item manqement. It allows 2nd to actually do something to 1st unlike in previous game where they would always get something to block, so you can only hope they messed or claim a 🤬 victory when a Blue Shell came. I'll admit Coins are a bit to common though.

I have no problem with the Mushroom. The speed feels much more faster than MK7.
What purpose do coins serve though? In the grand scheme of things, how could they be justified as a good addition?

Back