Memories of Crash Bandicoot

What ever happened to these games? When Naughty Dog was making them they were the game everyone looked forwards to. Today I was on a road trip, so with my handy PSOne w/ screen and car adapter I played through CTR and some quality Crash 1 and 2. Jak and Daxter is cool, but I am really curious to see what a ND take on Crash for the PS2 would be like.

Anyways I thought I'd post my favorite memory of any of the ND Crash games. Mine was when I beat Crash Bandicoot 2 without a memory card. How about you guys?

Crash Bandicoot 2 is one of the best platforms ever. It has a great balance between different forms of gameplay, neither to little or to much. I still play it occasionally. My favourite part are the stages when you run on the narrow rock-path with the flamethrowing heads. CB for PS2 was a catastrophy.

[edit] Cobb, hows Crash 1 playing? you can't use the analog stick right? I never bought that game because I think I won't play it if i have to use d-pad.

Aw the good Crash Bandicoot days. That was my first game when I got a ps1 and boy was I happy.

I beat all those games in a day becuz they were so fun. Too bad Naughty Dog stopped producing them. Jax and Daxter are a good new series though.

Originally posted by GTJugend

[edit] Cobb, hows Crash 1 playing? you can't use the analog stick right? I never bought that game because I think I won't play it if i have to use d-pad.

Great! Using the d-pad takes some getting used to, but it becomes second nature after a few levels. My main peeve with Crash 1 is it isn't possible to load with the lives you saved with. Small complaint for a great game, though.

Is Crash Bandicoot good?

Crash Bandicoot can be shortened to Crash.B
Crash.B kind of sounds like 'Crispy'
Chips are sometimes crispy
Chips can be cooked in the grill
The grill is part of the oven
The oven sounds like 'coven'
Witches live in covens
Witches ride brooms
Brooms sweep floors
Floors are what you walk on
You use your legs to walk
Your legs are attached to your body
Your body contains your stomach
Your stomach digests food
Some food has lots of sugar in
Sugar is good,
so in conclusion, Crash Bandicoot is obviously good.

Originally posted by a084000
Is Crash Bandicoot good?

Crash Bandicoot can be shortened to Crash.B
Crash.B kind of sounds like 'Crispy'
Chips are sometimes crispy
Chips can be cooked in the grill
The grill is part of the oven
The oven sounds like 'coven'
Witches live in covens
Witches ride brooms
Brooms sweep floors
Floors are what you walk on
You use your legs to walk
Your legs are attached to your body
Your body contains your stomach
Your stomach digests food
Some food has lots of sugar in
Sugar is good,
so in conclusion, Crash Bandicoot is obviously good.

I never thought of it that way. :lol:

yeah I have crash bandicoot (wrath of whatshisname). its pretty good. spent hours playing it but then my daughter got upset and wanted to play (i bought it for her). :)

The first one was the hardest (and best) to play

Have the version for the PS2, visuals are fantastic, its just those damn long load times that get to ya

Crash Bandicoot was good. Crash Bandicoot 2 was great. Crash Bandicoot 3 was marvellous. Crash Team Racing is one of the greatest games ever to be released for PS1. Crash Bash blows chunks, and was a cynical money-making scam. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex is VILE! But as has been pointed out, Universal stuffing up Crash has allowed Naughty Dog to go all Jak - and I AM looking forward to the sequel ths month.

Something similar happened with Spyro. The three PS1 Spyro games are brilliant - not a bad game among them. The two GBA games don't totally suck (although Spyro can no longer glide). But the PS2 version is a travesty - it's lost all the speed and playability a Spyro game is famous for.

Originally posted by Famine
Crash Team Racing is one of the greatest games ever to be released for PS1. Crash Bash blows chunks, and was a cynical money-making scam. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex is VILE!

Agreed on all accounts. CTR is the best $20 I ever spent for my PS1.

Well i did a search and i didn't see any related threads to this except ones about memories in general. Hope it's not a problem for posting this comment here.

On topic

My best memory i had with Crash Bandicoot was back when i was in 5th Grade. On this very day, i remember waking up and getting ready for school, once i was ready i played Crash Bandicoot 2 while i waited. So when i did, i remember accidently going up to on the top level in the warp room and anyone who has beat the game would know that you see alittle something and then you hear music from game while the credits rolled. I eventually ran of time and i had to leave for school. Once i got there i had the music stuck in my head while we did some really fun activties and that really made it alot funner in ways i never imagined!:drool:I could never forget it! It turned out to be one of the best days of my life!:D

I was 11 at the time when it happened, im 19 now and now every year on this very day, i go back and play Crash Bandicoot 2 again as a way of celebration. This how i celebrate Valentines day!:cheers: And that is my best memory of Crash Bandicoot!:D

During the time when literally everyone played Crash Bandicoot and gather those apples i didn't! I was more interested in games featured real characters like Solid Snake and Gabe Logan, Lara Croft and Chris Redfield.

I was never interested in some red fox or whatever that creature was. Imagine my happiness when Naughty Dog announced Uncharted and Nathan Drake :sly: Finally red thing was killed. :sly:

I loved those games as a kid. I've got a lot of fond memories of the series, especially of Crash Bandicoot 2, which was basically my first PlayStation game! Loved it to death and played it quite a lot.

But I probably wasted even more time with Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped! and Crash Team Racing. Me and my buddies used to play it every time when someone came over to my house. Ah, good times, good times.

I didn't realise this thread dated back to 2003 whilst I was reading it. :lol:

Crash Bandicoot was awesome, I loved the series. My favourite was definitely Crash Bandicoot 2, that was the one I enjoyed the most and probably spent the most time playing, other than Crash Team Racing :sly: I never did play the First or Third game though, just never got into them.

I agree that the PS2 games were disasters. I couldn't even find it in myself to finish them off. They really were that bad, it was such a disappointment compared to the originals. :(

I've owned Warped, Team Racing and Bash. The latter was my favourite because it was focused on direct competition with others in small minigames. Admittedly, some of the games weren't as enjoyable as others, it's fun to play with others as it's easy to pick up but not entirely braindead easy. Each character had their own unique trait that either served as an advantage or disadvantage, except for the pogo stick games.

My favourite games were the polar bear "king of the hill" games, the tank battles and brawling with crates.

During the time when literally everyone played Crash Bandicoot and gather those apples i didn't! I was more interested in games featured real characters like Solid Snake and Gabe Logan, Lara Croft and Chris Redfield.

They're all non-real characters :P

I was never interested in some red fox or whatever that creature was. Imagine my happiness when Naughty Dog announced Uncharted and Nathan Drake :sly: Finally red thing was killed. :sly:

Whatever that creature is?! It's in his name! Right there!

:grumpy:

Epic thread bump, but it's good to see I agree completely with Famine. I recently bought CTR off the PSN Store; as far as I'm concerned, it was better than Mario Kart 64, only really losing out to that game in regards to the multi-player battle level design.

Pretty sure Crash was my first full PS1 game, great series to play as I was growing up and as others have said CTR was a brilliant Kart game. Everything post Naughty Dog, not so good.

CTR vs. MK64? That's a tough one. I think MK64 is one of the best playing games in the franchise (either it or DS are the peak) because it didn't have most any of the stupid gimmicky crap of the following two console ones and it had the original Blue Shell behavior. I also vastly prefer the drift mechanic to that of Crash, because the one in Crash always came across more like Snaking a la MKDS (but much easier, so abused a lot more) than drifting. Course design was a push, and I don't think either game is any better than the other in the weapons available.

On the other hand, CTR had a vastly better single player; almost as good as DKRs, but these days I'd rather play multiplayer and MK64 was much better at that. CTR has aged a lot better graphically, and while that doesn't "really" matter I suppose, there were parts in MK64 that looked so bad that it was hard to tell what they were (in brown levels in particular).

Last edited:
About debate on CTR and MK64, Super Mario Kart wins hands down ;).
Pretty sure Crash was my first full PS1 game, great series to play as I was growing up and as others have said CTR was a brilliant Kart game. Everything post Naughty Dog, not so good.

I think Crash Bandicoot was also my first PS1 game too. Good platformer to come to from SNES days of playing Donkey Kong Country.

Crash Team Racing. I loved that game. I played it endlessly just to beat Nitr0 or whatever his name was. I also remembered a cheat code you could enter at the menu and you could play a Spyro game, which I kinda liked. Crash 2 is my favorite, though. Everytime I play it, I'm overwhelmed with nostalgia. I remember I was playing it while we were getting hit by Hurricane Isabel back in '03. While everyone was shocked and scared at the howling winds, I was only worried about collecting the big colered gems :P

I also liked Crash Twinsanity. I kinda liked the "open world" idea they were going for, I also remember it by being the only Crash (that i owned) to never beat :(

But yeah, my favorite memory has to be playing Crash 2 during that hurricane, I didn't have a care for trees falling down, just me and those crystals, gems, and relics :D:tup:

Haha, yeah. Crash Bandicoot 2 was my second full PS1 game after Croc. Then it was Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. Finally after all that, I discovered Gran Turismo!

Anyway, Crash was a unique game, and I still think it is. It was like a 3D version of a 2D side scrolling game, and it worked out great. It baffles me how Crash couldn't make it to the All Stars game.

I think Crash Bandicoot was also my first PS1 game too. Good platformer to come to from SNES days of playing Donkey Kong Country.

Cool to see someone admiring Donkey Kong. It was a gem, and back then its 3D graphics looked beautiful.

Who remembers jumping on the Polar Bear outside the snow level for a few extra lives? :P

Eks
But yeah, my favorite memory has to be playing Crash 2 during that hurricane, I didn't have a care for trees falling down, just me and those crystals, gems, and relics :D:tup:

Haha, brings back such good memories. There were a few coloured gems that I could never find, no matter how hard I tried.

I'm really tempted to buy a couple of these off of the PS Store. They're such a bargain for only £3.99 each.

Back