MGS HD collection?

England
Manchester
stiggygonzalez
Hi,I'm considering buying it of PSN for 9.99 GBP.
I need some advice on whether it's worth getting because I'm new to the series.
I like other espionage games like James Bond etc and I like GTA.
Are the stories good and gameplay.Also how long are the stories?
To me it looks like James Bond crossed with Snake Plissken and that looks appealing.

Hi,I'm considering buying it of PSN for 9.99 GBP.
I need some advice on whether it's worth getting because I'm new to the series.
I like other espionage games like James Bond etc and I like GTA.
To me it looks like James Bond crossed with Snake Plissken and that looks appealing.

I think that one for 9.99 is only metal gear 1, the more expensive one has the collection of games.

Its a fun series and there are lots of stories and dialog. the gameplay on the old games is very basic and clunky, it plays like a PS1 or PS2 game but its still fun.

I started playing MGS 1 the other day and the main thing keeping me interested is my love of old games, the gameplay isn't drawing me in.

I'd say do it, you're effectively getting five games at that price (MGS3 comes with the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2). If you're at all interested in Metal Gear Solid then you really will get a lot out of playing the old games, the backstories of each are tightly inter-related so it'll massively aid your understanding, or at least ease the confusion, if you play the old ones.

As far as the actual gameplay goes, you have to remember they are old and pre-date certain conventions; moving while aiming is tricky, you can't crouch-walk either. In fact even just first person aiming is quite tricky, but you get used to it if you do the VR training missions and what have you. The difficulty is extremely scalable from 'beatable with your eyes closed' to 'please make it stop I don't want to do this any more', there's a ton of replay value, too. Your first playthrough of MGS2 or 3 will be in the region of 20-30 hours in Normal mode, after that as you learn what to do, unlock good stuff like better camouflage or the EZ gun in MGS3 and skip all the (numerous, meandering) cutscenes you can get it down to 6 hours quite easily.

Peace Walker is completely different to any MGS so far in that you do it in small stages, there's also online co-op. My first playthrough of that where I nearly unlocked everything took over 100 hours, but it's quite grindy and samey after a while, I only kept going because I was incapacitated for over a month by tonsillitis and then a tonsillectomy and just zoned out playing it all day.

All in all, if you want to complete everything there is to do in the HD collection (except Peace Walker's codenames, because they're practically impossible) plus the platinum trophies, you'll probably be playing for a long, long time.

On the other hand, some people can't stand all the talking (there is a lot of talking, but almost all of it can be skipped) and are quite disappointed by the game-to-cutscene ratio, and I'm sure people playing it for the first time now will struggle with the controls. The graphics aren't amazing either, they haven't added HD textures or anything like that.

I should say, in case it wasn't obvious, I am a huge Metal Gear fanboy, so you might want to seek out alternate opinions before you buy, but three substantial games (if you want to replay them) for £10 is a good deal. They're not much like GTA, though, most of the time sustained firefights will result in you dying. The ideal completion method is to avoid any combat at all.

The stories are good, but they do involve some complex philosophy at times. MGS2 is particularly guilty of this. They're still fun, though. In terms of length, each game took me about twelve hours to knock over.

Bear in mind that this is not a game where you can shoot your way through everything. You are encouraged to avoid any form of combat - especially lethal combat - in favour of stealth. Ammo is usually scarce at best. You will spend a lot of time waiting for enemies to follow their patrol routes and hiding when you trigger an alert.

In many ways, the crux of the gameplay comes down to a risk versus reward scenario. You have to think about the short and long-term consequences of your actions. For example, there is a sequence in MGS3 where you have to infiltrate a weapons design laboratory. You can disguise yourself, but you have to be careful not to draw attention to yourself, and your option are limited if you get caught. Or you can go in through the back way, which is much more direct, but gives you no chance to recon the layout.

Don't go in expecting anything like the Bond games (which are just COD clones) or GTA. MGS really requires you to think, and to pay attention to your surroundings.

Last edited:
I bought it when it came on on the disk. I would highly recommend it. MGS3 is a blast and unlike most, MGS 2 is my favourite. It requires brain instead of brawn. Taking in the cutscenes, the political references, the dialog and the play style can be draining but so so rewarding!

Buy it!!!

The story can get quite confusing at times but you owe it to yourself to play these games.
They are of course a little dated but if you can look past that remember these were the cream of the crop when they were released!

I've re-played MGS2 around 10 times and MGS3 3 times, love the game and would defo recommend them to anyone who has not played them yet.

Well thanks for the replies.:)
I'm downloading it and finished downloading MGS2.
I've had a quick go and it does feel a little dated and quite difficult to grasp the gameplay.
But I'll get into it over the weekend.
Any hints and tips for a newbie would be great.
It doesn't include MGS 1 does it?

Any hints and tips for a newbie would be great.
Don't rush. Take your time, and make sure you listen to the environment as much as you watch it. Also, there is a corridor early on that can be frustrating. You need to stand on your toes in first-person view, but the game doesn't give you much of a hint about it.

It doesn't include MGS 1 does it?
No.

Buy it!!!

The story can get quite confusing at times but you owe it to yourself to play these games.
They are of course a little dated but if you can look past that remember these were the cream of the crop when they were released!

I've re-played MGS2 around 10 times and MGS3 3 times, love the game and would defo recommend them to anyone who has not played them yet.
MGS2 is a masterpiece. Yes, people had that WTF surprise moment because Raiden was main character for 70% of game but that's what Hideo Kojima is about.

Take user expectations, trash them into recycle bin, provide unexpected situations, enjoy new scenario = Metal Gear Solid.

Also, MGS1 is very much about how Snake sees the world. MGS2 is about how the world sees Snake. That's what makes it so brilliant: instead of simply being more of the same with a character that had largely been explored, Kojima made interesting.

I'm happy to report after a little over 3 hours spent on MGS2 that I really like it.:)
The story is interesting,(if a touch complicated)the characters are interesting and it feels like a well made game.
The lip syncing is a little off but I don't really mind because the gameplay is really good;not like anything I've played before.
The controls feel a little dated and lip syncing are my only criticisms but apart from that,so far MGS has exceeded my expectations and feels like a smartly made stealth shooter.

It's a Japanese game. The lips are synched to the Japanese voice acting. It's a trend that continued through SNAKE EATER and GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS. It wasn't until GROUND ZEROES and the upcoming THE PHANTOM PAIN that the lips were synched to the English voice actors.

As for the controls being dated, remember that SONS OF LIBERTY was published in 2002. And I believe the inability to move while in first-person mode was a deliberate attempt to slow the player down. METAL GEAR SOLID was a sleeper hit outside Japan, and when it came time to make a sequel, Hideo Kojima didn't want players to abandon the stealth mechanics and play it as a shooter. It was a very Western approach, and he felt it diluted the game. Particularly in light of the MGS clones like SYPHON FILTER, where stealth was incorporated, but the player was encouraged to use the stealthy approach to kill enemies. MGS has always been about evading where possible, subduing as necessary, and killing as a last resort. Later games emphasise this, with achievements, unlockables and higher ranks for total stealth and no-kill completion.

Oh thanks for clearing that up.
I can understand the slowing down now I think about it,and the emphasis on as little killing as possible,hence the tranquilliser gun as the main weapon.
I like thw thinking behind these ideas and shows that thought has been put into MGS;it could have easily turned into another generic shooter series.

Oh thanks for clearing that up.
I can understand the slowing down now I think about it,and the emphasis on as little killing as possible,hence the tranquilliser gun as the main weapon.
I like thw thinking behind these ideas and shows that thought has been put into MGS;it could have easily turned into another generic shooter series.

It's not a shooter series. It's not an action game. It's not an adventure game. It's not even an action-adventure game.

It's a stealth game. That is critical to understanding how to play the game successfully.

Yeah - just wait until you tranquilise a guard in the process of reporting in, or a guard who regularly reports in. You'll see why stealth is necessary. There is one in the Strut-D treatment plant, and I think there might be another in the Strut-F warehouse. And possibly one or two in the B1 Core.

Mind you, it's easy to evade them - just get out quickly.

Not so in GROUND ZEROES, though. Trip an alarm and they will scour the area for you. And they are not limited to following a corridor, either; they will cover all the open ground.

I can report that I've completed MGS 2 and it didn't dissapoint,what a game!
It took me around 12 hours on easy but was quite challenging but not too frustrating.
The story was good and the emphasis on stealth is refreshing.
There is a lot of talking but I got used to it,snake and otacon are cool characters.
All in all a really good game.
I'm already playing MGS 3 and it seems good too.
Thanks for your recommendations.I have some catching up to do before MGS V!:)

See if you can pick up PEACE WALKER. The events of GROUND ZEROES are directly related to PEACE WALKER, and while you can play and understand GROUND ZEROES without being familiar with PEACE WALKER, that familiarity will help a lot.
Luckily the HD collection (well mine did anyway) had Peace Walker included. Its a very tidy package!

I wish I could get into Peace Walker, I just didn't like it at all and I worry about how similar V is said to be. I really didn't care for all that base/soldier training stuff. I don't want an RPG MGS, personally.

Back