Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

• Thread starter Pagey279
  • 42 comments
England
Somerset
Pagey279
Could this be a decent LOTR inspired video game?

Here's the trailer:

And here's some gameplay:

https://www.shadowofmordor.com/agegate/

It's set 60 years before LOTR, the player plays as a ranger with Wraith-like abilities by the name of Talion. The game is an open world video game and players will have the freedom to pursue side quests and roam around the world.

The game allows people to create new characters and customize Talion as he starts his journey throughout Mordor by using a new system called the Nemesis System which remembers the player's interactions with specific types of characters they will encounter in the game and adjusts the manner in which these characters will react to the player throughout the game. Enemies will also develop as Talion interacts with them; for example, an Uruk who survived a previous encounter with Talion can be encountered later working as a slaver.

It's set to release on all platforms on 7th October 2014.

Eh, looks interesting in some aspects. I've wished for so long for a good LoTR-based game and I'm still looking.

I don't like the wraith thing very much, seems cheapish. The AC gameplay is also a little off-putting.

Is the Assassins Creed style gameplay really a bad thing? I wouldn't know I've never bothered to play the games.

Would be nice to play something that has it's own unique play style

I'm torn about this game. Some aspects make it look awesome, while some others not so much. It's hard to explain and even if I tried I couldn't exactly pinpoint each of them.

Will keep watching with interest though.

Reviews of this game suggest this to be an incredible game, my brother is getting it for the PS4, hyped now.

Saw the review of this on IGN, was hoping for something like Skyrim in a LOTR vein but for me there seems to be way too much emphasis on combat. The levelling up and ranking up of enemies and whatnot is interesting but perhaps somethnig of a gimmick that will wear off. I really look for a lot more in such games nowadays, like a big open world of awesomeness to explore. Surely it could have both?

Need help figuring out how to pickup artifacts and lthildin!! I can be standing right on top of either one and nothing happens, which sucks!!!

Anyone on PC confirm that controllers are supported? Thanks.
Here's a video showing the PC version with the Xbox controller button prompts. Native support, I suppose.

I initially got a pretty mixed impression of the game, but now that more reviews are rolling in, it seems to get a lot of praise. Kinda reminds me of Darksiders. Not very original in terms of gameplay, but copying something good might be better than inventing something bad.

Consumer reviews are starting to come in now, there are a hell of a lot of 5 star reviews.

I should be getting it tomorrow.

It is really very good, I'm a bit of a LOTR geek anyway but this game is so immersive. The gameplay is excellent, graphics good but not perhaps using the PS4 hardware to its full potential. You can spend hours upon hours on this without even touching the main story, with side quests and exploring to do.

My only gripe is that it's a bit too easy when battling normal uruks, you can take on a small army of them and come out on top. The captains are pleasingly harder but not overly so.

It is really very good, I'm a bit of a LOTR geek anyway but this game is so immersive. The gameplay is excellent, graphics good but not perhaps using the PS4 hardware to its full potential. You can spend hours upon hours on this without even touching the main story, with side quests and exploring to do.

My only gripe is that it's a bit too easy when battling normal uruks, you can take on a small army of them and come out on top. The captains are pleasingly harder but not overly so.
Is there a difficulty slider or setting you can modify when starting the game?

Back