Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
Back to me making Minecraft musings...

I got myself a new (actually old) TV. And because of this, I got back into playing Minecraft PS3. I made my first building featuring an anvil. It was just a house where you could simply use the anvil for strengthing and renaming weapons.

In addition to that, I went ahead trying to make another major city in my Minecraft world. It is still in its infant stages, but I had to try to make some sort of major settlement in the northern part of my world where the mountains (as well as the Nether Tower) are in my Minecraft world.

I played in Creative Mode using the City Texture Pack. One thing I noticed was that even the enemies looked snazzy and different. I became scared knowing that the Creeper is wearing a little suit. It becomes a problem if you encounter the Creeper in a dark place. Normally, you know who you're dealing with when you see that green monster. It is just that bit tougher when you see the Creeper in a dark suit like when you use the City Texture Pack.

I still enjoy Minecraft PS3 and still haven't been the least bit disappointed playing it.

Yeah, I'm still enjoying it too when I get the chance.

One thing I've started doing is bringing a wolf with me into the mines. It has a weird psychological effect of not making it quite as startling when a mob jumps out of nowhere, knowing the wolf is there to assist.

I noticed there was an update for Version 1.05 last night. All I mostly heard was just a bunch of bug fixes. Not so much along the lines of any serious additions to console Minecraft. I didn't notice too much of anything special.

You guys should check out my YouTube channel. I've been working on a Crash Bandicoot 2 recreation. It's taking shape very well. I'd say I'm halfway done with it now. I upload progress updates on it from time to time.

Anyone who wants to add me (PSN name is the same as my username here), I'll be on PS3 Minecraft for a few hours later on just generally mining and building in one of my worlds. I'll leave it open so those on my friends list can freely join.

I'm likely to use a world in which I'm building a fairly bog-standard castle. As long as you don't alter it in any way or mess up the area around it too much, you're free to do more or less as you choose in my world - there's some excellent mountains terrain north to north east of the castle beyond the forest which I've not explored properly yet, to the south west of the castle there's a village with an enormous ravine behind one of the buildings (which I've denoted with many torches after I fell into it accidentally one time...) and there's a jungle biome somewhere to the west of the map.

I don't have a microphone though so you're probably best communicating to me with wooden signs, or something.

And please don't kill my wolf, he's rather dear to me :D

Been working on one of my main projects.

Started off, as you do, with a wooden hut in a forest, near a desert. Then it was a wooden hut with a small fence for keeping mobs out. A little later, it was a wooden hut surrounded by a four-block-high stone wall, a small fence inside for keeping livestock, and a little tower on the corner for surveying the surroundings.

Many hours and much mining later, I've got to this stage - as seen from the desert:

photo12.jpg

...And from the main entrance, over the other side:

photo-2.jpg

As you can see, I have a moat. Water is a pain in the ass in Minecraft so it took a while to get it an even three-meters deep all around - aside from where it meets the desert, where it leaks into the surroundings, and the opposite side, where it falls down a cliff into a pond.

The castle keep stands where my wooden hut used to:

photo7-1.jpg

It has a large main room, seen here from the outside, and from within:

photo11-1.jpg

photo8-1.jpg

(The carpet will be finished at some stage)

Outside, there's a pond:

photo6-1.jpg

The lay of the land is more or less as it was when I built my hut, and many of the trees are those from the original forest. I don't like leveling the land to put buildings around - flat land looks unnatural.

Now the best views - the main entrance:

photo10.jpg

Where you can see the moat, gate with portcullis and the entrance bridge, as well as a gravel path leading into the forest. My farm is also there - it's set a couple of blocks below the rest of the land to minimize the chance of everything jumping out.

The other side is more impressive:

photo9.jpg

The building at the back with grass on the roof is my house - the bed is in there, as are all my items, furnaces, crafting table etc. The tower to the left was originally square when I first built the basic wall, but evolved over time. It doesn't serve much purpose other than decoration.

The fence coming off it is where I keep chickens. Below that, visible with a few blocks of dirt, is my mine - goes right to the base layer and has several tunnels stretching off to either side over several different levels. The desert village is off to the top left and visible from the castle.

All of this has been done in survival mode, incidentally. Not as difficult as it looks since most of it is cobblestone and therefore my mine has provided most of the materials.

Not sure where to go from here. I'd like to finish the moat around the desert side, but that'll involve building up the land somewhat with sand so it looks right. Some sort of tunnel emerging in the desert would be handy too - the main gate is currently my only way in and out of the castle and the moat has made it difficult to walk around like I used to...

Thoughts and comments welcome. Would be good to see a few more pics in this thread.

Debating, at some point, folding to pressure and getting the PC version so I can join you guys on a server.

I am back to making more stuff in my Minecraft world. I figure I'd focus on parts of my desert. What I basically made was my own kind of Dubai within that desert setting. Only that I wasn't sure if I could make my own Burj Dubai (which I read is now called Burj Khalifa) in the city. I haven't designed a single structure low-lying structure that legitimately goes above the clouds

A little detail I noticed with the NPC Villagers is that they make some random noises. I started to notice this as I started to interact with some of the Villagers in various towns and cities I've created. These are fairly brief noises they make, but they still have some sort of life to them.

A little detail I noticed with the NPC Villagers is that they make some random noises. I started to notice this as I started to interact with some of the Villagers in various towns and cities I've created. These are fairly brief noises they make, but they still have some sort of life to them.

The April Fools joke Mojang did with villager voices didn't make the villagers very fun. Every single second I wanted to kill every one of the little bastards.

"Calm 3" (or "Sweden") is my favorite Minecraft song. I'd be mad as hell if that beautiful song is replaced by the crap song from the TEAVSRP video. Even for someone who still plays console Minecraft, I wouldn't even want these sounds for console Minecraft.

Been working on the castle some more. Easy to see the differences when comparing these images with the similar ones above:

photo13.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I have fire. Mainly because I also have a nether portal, so was able to grab some netherrack.

So now the grand hallway has a roaring fire either side of the staircase, while there's a fire pit in the open space near the chicken farm.

Less good is that the portal in the nether is a ghast magnet. I was trying to build a cobblestone barrier around it but a ghast knocked it out. Didn't have a flint and steel on me so it was looking pretty bad for a moment, but luckily @dhandeh was online to spring through the portal and restart it for me.

Why are you using a camera to take pictures? I'm pretty sure there is a snapshot option for the PS3 version.

Please be PC. The server hasn't seen anyone in weeks!
What would you say are reasonable system requirements for playing Minecraft on PC?

I'd be worried that my laptop isn't up to coping - 1.8 ghz i3 chip, 4GB RAM. Standard Intel HD Graphics 4000. I know some bits of Minecraft can be pretty heavy on some PCs.

I do actually have a proper PC that I could use which should cope fine, but it needs a bit more assembly - doesn't yet connect to the 'net for example and I rarely seem to find the time to take it apart!

What would you say are reasonable system requirements for playing Minecraft on PC?

I'd be worried that my laptop isn't up to coping - 1.8 ghz i3 chip, 4GB RAM. Standard Intel HD Graphics 4000. I know some bits of Minecraft can be pretty heavy on some PCs.

I do actually have a proper PC that I could use which should cope fine, but it needs a bit more assembly - doesn't yet connect to the 'net for example and I rarely seem to find the time to take it apart!

It would run but probably not well. I have an i3 laptop and it looks terrible. That said, it's an older one so it doesn't have the HD 4000. That might make all the difference.

I saw a video on YouTube about a mod called Quarryplus. It basically allows you to make quarry up to 256 by 256 also has a neat pump that can suck the liquids out to avoid major lag.

This is my quarry its about 160 by 150 and currently down to level 17 it has collected over 11000 coal and more copper, iron, tin and aluminium than I know what to do with lol.

QuarryFTW_zpse3c167e3.jpg

It would run but probably not well. I have an i3 laptop and it looks terrible. That said, it's an older one so it doesn't have the HD 4000. That might make all the difference.
Sounds like a job for my proper PC then. 8GB of RAM, a much better processor and a better graphics card too.

I'd definitely like to join the server but need to sort out the prior steps first!

Sounds like a job for my proper PC then. 8GB of RAM, a much better processor and a better graphics card too.

I'd definitely like to join the server but need to sort out the prior steps first!

You could always give it a try. It's not like you have to buy it twice or anything. Get it, test it on the laptop, if it's no good, wait until the PC is ready.

It is, isn't it?

Which platform did you get it on? PC or console?

PS3. Been having a lot fun with @ZeroGamingHD and @SVX.

Finally getting around to making a rather big house, which I don't have shots of yet, but I've spent most of my time creating this.

0821b517d8ded9234e4041b9544ceb6b.png

The map that was created gave me this gigantic chasm that I've spent time fixing and filling it so it's more accessable, as well as creating a waterfall.

It's not the best looking, but i'm proud of it and not fixing it cause it took 3 hours to fix in the first place.

What sort of times are you online? If you'd like another player I'm usually free at several points over the weekend and the occasional evening (UK times) during the week.

I'm on during the weekends and also on at nights during the week. Usually during the weekend I can communicate through voip/skype. But if you want, you can add me and whenever you see me online, feel free to join.

Back