Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
I've been playing on Realms and I know that you start out in a new world with nothing in your inventory. However, with the latest update you can upload one of your single player worlds to be used as your Realms world. Also it gives you the ability to download a world that you created in Realms for offline play.

As far as I can tell the servers are hosted by Mojang. Players will need to be added onto a invite list, if you want them to join you. Although i'm not sure at this point if you also need to be online at the same time, but considering the world is kept on a server it should be open anytime really.

Thanks, that clears a few things up! Think I will start over anyway, and hopefully others who end up using it will chip in with the costs.

Thanks, that clears a few things up! Think I will start over anyway, and hopefully others who end up using it will chip in with the costs.

The monthly fee is $13 (USD). If for some reason you were to let your subscription lapse, your world is still saved for when you start payments again. So you lose nothing, also the server lets you restore to previous backup saves.

I just found out the host does not need to be online at the same time. Players on the invite list can jump on and play at anytime.

Maybe you should charge to play? Evidently its not cool to play on a free server these days.

Nah, the server doesn't cost me enough or offer enough to players to warrant a cost. If it was a super powerful and expensive hosted server then yeah, but as it is, no.

There are options for players to make a donation to the server to go towards running costs (upgrades, electricity bill, etc) in return for extra perks on the server. Which some players actually have done. :)

Maybe you should charge to play? Evidently its not cool to play on a free server these days.

It probably wasn't, but in case that comment was in any way aimed at me, I have several reasons for wanting my "own" server, some of which I've mentioned previously, and am unable to host one myself, so Realms makes a lot of sense to me.

I also thing DQuaN is doing an awesome job, and hope to hop on his server too in the near future :)

It probably wasn't, but in case that comment was in any way aimed at me, I have several reasons for wanting my "own" server, some of which I've mentioned previously, and am unable to host one myself, so Realms makes a lot of sense to me.

I also thing DQuaN is doing an awesome job, and hope to hop on his server too in the near future :)

I actually play more on Pocket Edition and wish Realms was still available for it. But I do spend about an equal amount of time on DQuan's server and my own Realms... two very different worlds and experiences that I enjoy.

Praps I am being impatient but how long usually between pre and full release? Months of beta/snapshots now "pre-release", sheesh.

Hey DQ, I'm thinking of getting a fresh start when we update the server. Think you can clear my inventory when we hit 1.8?

Still hoping this comes to the X1 / PS4 soon. I am guessing September. The longer they wait the more stable it will be. So that's the optimistic way to look at it.
At this point I am not expecting it until after Destiny.

Last edited:
The Minecraft Wiki says it's "planned" for that date so just a case of whether it slips. Cue thousands of people on that day (who don't use snapshots) frantically breeding rabbits to produce the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog, then having to kill it immediately.

1.8 is set to release on Tuesday Sept 2nd.
Been doing a bit of 1.6 since mods are not updated to 1.7 but might give 1.8 a test run later today or tomorrow (since it's going to rain a lot)

Back