General Model Kit Building Thread

I've just started a new model I got, and already I'm having problems :grumpy:. while priming the body, my primer can started spitting air since it was nearly empty. After shaking for a minute, I continued spraying, and the rest came out in one big lump. It completely ruined the body, but I wasn't to worried. So, later that day, I went outside and washed the body with turpentine and got all the paint off. I then rinsed everything in soapy water so as to remove the excess turpentine. After such effort, a fingerprint I left on the hood was, and still is, extremely stubborn to come off despite the fact that there is no paint left. I'm worried the turpentine may have burned through the plastic, but I've never had this happen, nor heard of it happening. I'm thinking about re-priming and re-spraying everything, but I'm wondering if the fingerprint will still show afterward. :confused:

You might have softened the plastic with the turpentine and now the fingerprint is indented in the bonnet. Id sand it down until smooth then prime it and have a look if it still shows, it it does give it another sand down.

Annyways I finished my Mclaren :D Not the same one back from the dead, I just bought a new one and saved a few parts...

Last edited:
I have a serious problem, I bought a NISMO clarion GTR-LM and my little cousin went and through the body shell in the fire place(i know right) Ok so now the body, is completely gone and now i need to find a spare body, Is there any website i can go to get a spare body? the parts code is 24161(car) and the item number is 1332210(body) That is the only part i need. or if i have to buy another kit and sell the old kit in parts on ebay or something else, Help would be gratefully appreciated.

I have a serious problem, I bought a NISMO clarion GTR-LM and my little cousin went and through the body shell in the fire place(i know right) Ok so now the body, is completely gone and now i need to find a spare body, Is there any website i can go to get a spare body? the parts code is 24161(car) and the item number is 1332210(body) That is the only part i need. or if i have to buy another kit and sell the old kit in parts on ebay or something else, Help would be gratefully appreciated.

Is this the Tamiya kit? If it is maybe try contacting Tamiya USA and ask them.

I've just started a new model I got, and already I'm having problems :grumpy:. while priming the body, my primer can started spitting air since it was nearly empty. After shaking for a minute, I continued spraying, and the rest came out in one big lump. It completely ruined the body, but I wasn't to worried. So, later that day, I went outside and washed the body with turpentine and got all the paint off. I then rinsed everything in soapy water so as to remove the excess turpentine. After such effort, a fingerprint I left on the hood was, and still is, extremely stubborn to come off despite the fact that there is no paint left. I'm worried the turpentine may have burned through the plastic, but I've never had this happen, nor heard of it happening. I'm thinking about re-priming and re-spraying everything, but I'm wondering if the fingerprint will still show afterward. :confused:

That sucks, a light sanding and more primer is what I'd try.

I'll have to get pictures of models I've built up in here someday. :)

Currently building a Ferrari Daytona by Italeri.
I was quite surprised at first. It doesn't have too many parts, but for the price which is about 3/4 of a Revell here it has pretty good details.

But I just realised something that ticked me off. The engine is about 3mm too high meaning the hood wouldn't fit properly. Luckily I dry fitted it first and realised that and had to do a whole lot of plastic cutting as there isn't much room in the engine bay.
Seriously, how do companies screw something like this up? Don't they build these things before selling them? :grumpy:

I like doing tweaks. Tweaks that somehow enhance the kit and make the end product better. Not to fix the errors of the kit.

I like doing tweaks. Tweaks that somehow enhance the kit and make the end product better. Not to fix the errors of the kit.

True. But when you pay for something that is a quarter of the pricer of a similar product, then these things happen.It's normally why I go for Revell, Tamiya or Fujimi. As you say, tweaks to these kits are to enhance not fix errors.

Don't build the Revell kit of the 1988 Dodge Daytona then. I spent hours upon hours just making the engine, the turbo and its hoses fit properly inside the engine compartment. Its a 2 in 1 kit, which I usually find some kind of issue with, but never as many problems as I saw with that kit. I've actually warned people in the store that I've seen look or point at it, it was that bad.

I find it funny though, the model still didn't give me as many problems as the actual car.

Building the 1/18 Tamiya McLaren M8A...
100_1458.jpg

That McLaren looks good so far. Do keep us updated.

I took a couple of pictures of the Daytona build as well.

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

It gives the thread a bump and reminds me to get some pictures up of the one I'm doing at the moment. Which I will do tomorrow.

Quick update on my Mclaren MP4-13 car. I have finally finished painting the engine and rear suspension, it just need a bit of tidying up, where I rushed it in places but no major drama. I'm pleased how the heat effect worked on the exhaust. I am mainly using this one as a trial before I start on the Senna Mclarens that I have.
I have some extra wiring to be fitted as some of the components look out of place. Also I need to put coolant hoses on as the connections to the radiator are there, but nothing to Connect to.
Then, its just a case of having a trial run on giving the bodywork a shine. Any tips?

IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

Nice one. I'm currently building a Revell Ferrari Enzo. The project has been standing still for some time now though. I can't find the motivation for finishing it.

Nice build dhandes. The exhaust-heat effect is really cool.

I've never built models before, but I got a Revell Superbird 3-ish weeks ago and I haven't touched it because I don't have all the paints I need for it. Is there anything really big I should know about? Anybody have a few tips? I used Google and I know now that I have to prime it, sand it a bit, etc.

Use a good scalpel for getting the pieces off. Also use proper glue like this:

revell-cement.jpg

And not a tube, because it gets very messy.

As for painting, it can be good to wash the parts in warm (but not too warm) water with a bit of washing up liquid to get the grease from the molds off so the paint stick better. Be patient and let it dry good after you've painted it, preferably a week or so, before applying clear coat for best results.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got some modeling glue and I'm going to put it on with a toothpick. I washed the pieces in water and they've been drying for 10+ days.

Take your time, never, assemble too much in one go, prebuild it before painting to test where you may need to tweak things, and take your time.

Back