General Model Kit Building Thread

Darin
I'm looking for a RX-7. So far failed to find one at anywhere.
They always have the RX-7 models made by Tamiya on Ebay, and usually at fairly reasonable prices.đź‘Ť

I was bored so I dug out my unfinished/ unstarted models. It's so nice out today I think I'll start spraying one of the bodies later on. The 69 Camaro Z-28 is all done except the body and interior, so if I get some work done on it I'll post it up later.

Attachments

• Models.jpg
    Models.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 100
under18carbon
Start work on the Lotus Europa Special. :D
I'm saving that one for a while until I get my painting skills back in order. I got the Camaro Z/28 body prepped (mold lines removed, flash trimmed, sanded with 1000 grit, cleaned) and then I got the primer coats on today. I have to let that dry for a few days, so tomorrow I'm going to get the interior prepped and primed. Then I'm going to get started on the BMW Z8. The Tamiya kits are too expensive too make a mistake with.:scared:

On a side note, there is a store near me called Hobby Lobby, it's a national chain. Every once in a while they have all thier plastic models 50% off, so that's where I get all my kits now. The Porsche and Ferrarri kits I have are around $40 regular price:ouch: But 1/2 off isn't too bad. The regular Monagram kits are only like $4-6 when they're on sale there, so no biggie if I mess one up. I went there today and saw that they have the new Ferarri Enzo kit by Tamiya, but it's $42:crazy: It's one of the baddest-assed kits I've ever seen though...as soon as it's on sale it's mine:sly:

The Enzo kit has to be one of the most detailed and expensive kits I've seen from Tamiya, it looks beautiful when finished.. :drool:

Good luck on the kits. đź‘Ť

im working on a 1:24 revell ford svt lightning kit right now...so far ive:

-body painted caution orange for reasons u'll see after reading
-front bumper has been completely reworked with the stock plastic grill cut out and soon wii be replaced with mesh and the bumper itself has been cut out in the center to make room for the revell super saleen mustang kit foglamps which mean the factory lightning fogs will most likely be filled
-the engine is being built from the saleen mustang kit and will prolly feature wire and plumbing for extra detail
-both rear quarter panels have been square notched in front of the rear wheels to make way for a dual exhaust system from a nascar truck series chevy pickup i had in the parts bin, either that or it will have a similar custom exhaust made from tubing
-wheels are sourced from the same mustang kit and the rears are made into duals for a more outrageous look..and if it were real, it would leave a nice print behing after stomping the gas pedal...these may change into aftermarket wheels tho
-the interior will feature a scratchbuilt rollcage as well as racing harnesses, and a shifter from the nascar truck to make it manual instead of the auto the kit is..not sure what else will be done, tryin to get the hardest part, the rollcage outta the way
-the hood will be the stock hood with the mustang cowl hood molded in
-inside the bed might have a scale diamond plate floor for the extra bling factor, as if the intercooled supercharger system from the saleen stang isnt enuf lol

this is my first attempt at building a custom model, most ive built have been box stock. its turning out amazing! i'll post pics when i get a lil more work done. im about 45 or 50% done.

hope to keep this thread alive!

I got the '69 Camaro body painted a few days ago, so now that it's dry, I'll post a pic.:) I spent extra time and was very meticulous with the paintwork and it really paid off, as this is my best paint job yet. Notice the reflection of the cookie jar in the back, the finish is very glassy, and I have not even put the clearcoat on yet. Once I put the clearcoat on, polish it with rubbing compound, and put the final coat of wax on it I am predicting a mirror finish:D

I'd like to see a pic of the SVT Focus madness when that nears completion, satans_agent, sounds like a beast in the works:tup:

Attachments

• 69 Z28 Painted body.jpg
    69 Z28 Painted body.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 76
satans_agent
u said svt focus, was that directed at me or someone else? im workin on a svt f-150 lightning lol yes indeed a beast it will be
Yea I meant Lightning, sorry. I test drove a Focus SVT a few days ago so it must have popped in my head.:lol:

just an update on my lightning model to try and keep this thread alive....the engine is almost assembled, the hardest part being the front bumper is nearing completion...the fogs just need some putty to smooth the edges and the grill is all cut out and sanded and awaiting its mesh..thats it for now, will try and get some pics up soon.

yes definatly send pics, ive been doing models for a while now, not customizing like you are but just painting and building them. Right now a 34 ford is in the creation, planing to put some paint on the parts this week and begin the building process

Just started an enzo and its got like 200 pieces. It looks great though so far. I've nearly finished engine assembly.

icemanshooter23
Just started an enzo and its got like 200 pieces. It looks great though so far. I've nearly finished engine assembly.
If you get some pics post them as you progress, I'd like to see it as I just bought one myself!

The Hobby Lobby by me finally had the 50% off sale again this week. I bought the yellow Enzo by Tamiya with the see-though underneath chassis panel ($51, got it for $25.50:sly: ) I also got a current generation Toyota Celica and a 90's Mitsu GTO by Tamiya, and 3 Revell kits: the Corvette Z06 limited edition, Integra Type R, and 1970 Datsun 240ZX. Total price- under $70. If you have a Hobby Lobby by you, I think the sale will be on for 2 or 3 more days!

I've finished the chassis and interior on my R33 GT-R. All I got to do now is finish airbrushing the body and stick the head/tail-lights on and so-forth.

P.S. The colour of it is my mixed version of the Nissan R33 Super Clear Red II and it twinkles in the sun due to the paint's semi-metallic'ness. :D:tup:

Very nice job there Eddie. You picked a kickass color, looks top notch! Who is the manufacturer of that model? Tamiya? And is it a curbside model or does the hood open to show the engine?

Can't wait to see it with the glass in and all the trimwork painted:tup:

I got the chassis/interior on my Camaro about 95% finished, and the body sprayed with several coats of clear. After about a week of curing I am going to compound it and get all the details done...we'll probably be done around the same time:)

CarbonFiber Man
Very nice job there Eddie. You picked a kickass color, looks top notch! Who is the manufacturer of that model? Tamiya? And is it a curbside model or does the hood open to show the engine?

Can't wait to see it with the glass in and all the trimwork painted:tup:

Yeh I like the colour too. A guy who lives opposite me has that colour on his R33 GTR Vspec and I didn't know what colour to paint it, then I was looking at it and thought "that's a nice colour". So I decided on that. The paint is Humbrol Enamel and through an airbrush it dry's like Humbrol paint does; all horrible and plastic'y. So no more humbrol body spraying. I sprayed an 01' STi at the same time in Tamiya TS-50 (the Subaru blue mica) and it came out near-perfect. So đź‘Ť's to Tamiya.

It's a Fujimi Defend Racing Service R33 GT-R Skyline and it is curbside so no engine detailing dissapointingly. It has 19" Racing Hart CR's on (un-decalled) and the arches have been pulled out and widened even more so than the R33 has; making the wheel's just about fit snugly under the arches. I suppose the kit has been alright considering it's a Fujimi but it's just things like mold lines and slightly mis-fitting parts that just don't stand up to the quality of Tamiya.

Im working on finishing (slowly) and I sure will upload the final results.

CarbonFibre Man
I got the chassis/interior on my Camaro about 95% finished, and the body sprayed with several coats of clear. After about a week of curing I am going to compound it and get all the details done...we'll probably be done around the same time:)

Looking forward to seeing that great American brute! But just don't bet on my working fast, I have like 3 other kits in progress too. :lol:

EDIT: Do you like the exhaust on the R33 or not? Comment, too big, too....whatever. Constructive criticism welcome, as it's cumstom made and I want pointer's for next time.

Well, in an attempt to not spam the board up, i figured i'd post here since its relevant.

I had a question. I've been doin 1:24 scale model cars since i was in the 9th grade. Im a Jr. in college now. So, i think to think ive gotten descent at it over the yrs. Heres my question. I was diggin through some old stuff and found an unfinished kit of mine. It in theory was supposed to be the '86 Choo Choo El Camino modded w/ just about everything from a 2001 Corvette model i had layin around. The engine assembly was easy as i simply got a 305 from the parts bin and slapped all the LS1 components on. Step 1, out of the way! Now, heres the fun part, i cant fit the corvette rear tires in the wheel wells of the El Co. I dont have access to a bed liner so, im trying to figure out how to make the cuts w/out tearin everything up. Anyone worked on the '86 El Co? Any help would be appeciated.
James-

hey drift4eva is that viper the one from burgo or maisto.
cause i got one that looks just like that it came white, but im doing candy apple red with either a tear or flame ghost graphics im puting a more detailed engine in it from a 1:25 rt 10, the dash and center console are candy apple red to match the outside and the rest of the interior is white. and the seats are white in the center with apple red edges, and its slamed to the ground (er..shelf or what ever its on) on taco mobile rims until i get low profile tires

king jame II
Now, heres the fun part, i cant fit the corvette rear tires in the wheel wells of the El Co. I dont have access to a bed liner so, im trying to figure out how to make the cuts w/out tearin everything up. Anyone worked on the '86 El Co? Any help would be appeciated.
James-
Hi, James!

If I were you, I'd tub it out by cutting the inside fender liners out of the bed with a razor saw or Dremel. Then get some sheet styrene and build new tubs inside, like a dragger or hot rod. You'll also have to shorten the rear axle to move the wheel hubs inboard, to account for the wider tires. This is common practice among hotrodding circles. I'll see if I can find som pics for you.

Tubs - from underneath:

cuda_tubbed.jpg

From inside - note the silver sheet metal tubs fabricated to cover those monster tires after the original fender well was cut out:

cuda3.jpg

I'm trying to find a pic of a truck for you, but here's a Chevy van:

13astrotub.jpg

It shouldn't be too hard to do this. Good luck!

Just ordered 4 Aoshima items of HLJ for Xmas. The new Top Secret R34 GT-R, the S15 Silvia Spec R Aero Version, the JZZ30 Soarer 2.5 GT Twin Turbo L 1991 and the FRP 3 Wing Parts Pack. This'll be the first time I will have owned anything Aoshima but hopefully they'll be nice to build and be of a good quality. :D

Top Secret R34 GT-R Advert Picture:
aos03457.jpg

Cant wait! :drool:

Back