General Model Kit Building Thread

Hey, I'll help keep this alive.

I have pics of my Tamiya 1/24 Xanavi Nismo JGTC R34, it's an LM kit, cost $50 (not cheap for a bunch of plastic) but hey, I got an overall 10/10 on it at the last show I took it to.

I've also got the Tamiya Supra (street) where I converted it to a single turbo (judging by the size of the turbo compared to the valve cover, it's in the range of an SP71 to SP74, either way, really friggin huge) FMIC janked from a now dead R34GTR, gunmetal Volk GT-Cs from the Denso Supra kit, and the WB of the Denso Supra kit on top. Black on black interior with bucket seats from the AMT F&tF 1/24 Supra.

Also, an Integra Type R (DC2) Turbo, turbo assembly taken from Revell 1/24 F&tF Die Cast Eclipse, metal hood pins (left over from Xanavi R34).

Current project is a 1/24 Fujimi Sileighty, has 2 BRIDE DinosII bucket seats, C-West rear CF wing, big brake upgrade from the Denso Supra (ap alcon).

I've got these to start:
Avex Group NSX, Calsonic R-32, Calsonic R-34, REAmemiya/GReddy FDRX-7, another street Supra, Skyline R-34 which will become the Signal Auto R34, and a GT40 kit which was started by relative's parent who passed on and was given to me to complete.

I'd post pics, but my Nikon transfer cable got lost in the mail, as well as some of my computer's speakers :mad:

FutureGTRDriver
I have pics of my Tamiya 1/24 Xanavi Nismo JGTC R34, it's an LM kit, cost $50 (not cheap for a bunch of plastic) but hey

Was that the SE version or the standard one. My dad picked up the standard version for £15, the SE version with the carbon decals was £20 but he thought £5 for a few decals was a bit much. Where did you get yours from?

Yeah, mine was the SE edition with the CF decal sheet. I found it at HobbyTown, but it was the only one. It was REAL intricate, and annoying to do the shifting console with all those decals.

I enjoyed it though.

altezza drifter
i'd raise it up a little,though i can't talk cause most of mine sit on the ground
Its perfect with the tires on the wheels.
m5.jpg

FutureGTRDriver
Yeah, mine was the SE edition with the CF decal sheet. I found it at HobbyTown, but it was the only one. It was REAL intricate, and annoying to do the shifting console with all those decals.

I enjoyed it though.

Do you use Hobby Link Japan, I you don't you'll be amazed at what they have and at the prices they sell them for.

No, I haven't heard of the site until the reply in my thread from yesterday.

It looks pretty good, right now I want a AE86 Levin trunkback to accompany my Sil80. I found a Group A Levin hatch (on another site) that would look dope, but I can't find a way to order it.

well i finally figured out what my old user name was thanks to this thread (satans_agent) lol

also, i havent really worked on the lightning since my last post due to drifting in gt3 a lot and now playing gt4 but i think im going to take a break and work on the lightning again thanks to this thread. i'll put some pics up soon as i get a digi cam as i still dont own one. :(

Wow! Those are good. Many hours must have been put in those. I realize that those are (probably) not stock, but who makes models 2,3,4, and 5? (Mustang, Chevelle, Biscayne, and Malibu)? And what all have you done/plan to do to each model?

Could i ask a quick question... when making the car i really mess up when its time to glue the lights because they get all misty and white when the glue dries. what does anyone else do to solve this problem or are there other ways to do it?? i will post some of my models too but i dont think their as good as Cal33's models

You can use tiny amounts of the glue on the end of a cocktail stick, carefully draw around the edge of the lens with the cocktail stick making sure hardly any glue goes onto the lens so that it doesn't mist up. The only problem is that if you put too little glue on, it'll fall off.

Just an idea off the top of my head.

If I can remember right the kits are from AMT and Revell. For what I have done to them most are just custom wheels and lowered. I remember seeing a model glue that works with clear parts ( headlights and windshields ) that won't fog the plastic. Check your hobby shop or maybe Tower Hobbies on-line.

Thanks for your nice comments. :)

I have recently bought a 63' chevy impala lowrider and i am not sure what colour to do it. I painted it gold like instructed but i dont like it
I want to pick a new colour but im not sure what colour. it cant be a very light colour because i have white graphics and it has to go with the gold also.
I was thinking a gloss black with a bit of sillver mixed in to give a metalic effect.
Does anyone else have any ideas? :confused:

Attachments

• Picture(11).jpg
    Picture(11).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Picture(14).jpg
    Picture(14).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 27
I am working on the tamyia pitwork Z its coming out pretty cool I have to go and pick up anther spray though this is first time a model actualy looks like the one on the box for me

My models.... I'm still improving and putting more effort into every one I do. I've got a '94 Impala SS and a '69 Z-28 Camaro in line to build next.
Some of these are dusty, but it was a very impromptu 'photo shoot' since I only had access to a digital camera for a few hours.

In Progress... Hope to be finished by the end of July. As you can see, I screwed up the paint and need to fix it.

Not by me, but it is mine.

Finally, I made this in Metalwork during school. I just need to attach the wheels, and make a radiator cover, then I'm done. Oh, and make a steering wheel.

Hello, just found this forum. Some very nice cars here! I build some myself, currently a orange pearl R32 Skyline. It's still mostly in pieces, getting everything ready for paint. The original kit is a Zexel Group N racer, converted to street form.
All of you, good luck with your projects!

I too build some models. I just finished a Tamiya Ferrari 360 Modena (Yes, I know it's old, but it's still nice). Next project is a BMW 635CSi Group A race car. Since I don't usually paint my models though, this time I might actually wait until I get some paint to start that model, since it's really realy ugly if it's not painted.

I made a lot of these plastic models (cars) and airplanes. Even a very big boat from the 17th century.
My very first try was a mini and I was about 6. I used only tape :guilty: to assemble my first mini. There was no way I could paint it after it was finished.
The thing I use to do was, finding models of the real cars I owned and tried to make exact copies of it.

I love Hobby Lobby too... I just got a bunch of Tamiya kits there a week or so ago when they had one of their half off sales... I need to take some pics and post here of some of the kits I have together... I gotta find my camera tho :-s

Heres a few of my cars. Like Slicks, i feel i get better the more of them i do:

Well that didnt take too long to upload. My Favorite cars are my Viper and the Impala. So what do you guys think? i would love some feedback...

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Damn those are nice. I had a Viper RT/10, it was pretty ****ty because 1. I apparently can't do car models (can do other kinds of models though) and 2. I play around with them too much so the break. :dopey: Hence my 1:18 METAL models. :grumpy:

78VETTE.jpg

Here is my pride. Revell skill level 3. EVERY piece WAS white and now its painted OEM colors from the exhaust tips to the key holes and handles.
I made this model over 6 years ago when I was 15 or so and took me two weeks.
Sits in a mega dusty case.. lol as you can see.
Its almost every bit as detailed at my 1:18 scale version, all it lacks is the carpet the other one has.

Slick Rick, I have a couple pointers for 'ya.
Looking at your Challenger, I am going to make 2 reccomendations.
1. Use masking tape when painting detail-work and trim. It helps cleans up the lines and keeps the paint where you want it.

2. This may or may not improve things for you, but I went out and bought a couple small, fine paintbrushes for $3-5 each, and I have noticed a difference in the way the paint turns out.

Just an update to my models, I am still working on the Model T streetrod. I pretty much have left it alone since the last post, but have started making a bit of progress in the last couple weeks. Since I plan to strip and repaint it, I shopped the top about 1/2 an inch and smoothed the fenders where the 'grips' are. It has been given a light sand, and I need to do a bit of bodywork to get the windows and top to fit right and look proper. I smoothed the roof, which had a cloth/ vinyl texture to it. I might bore a few holes in the visor, or all together cut it off. The door panels and seats, floorpan, and side panels have been painted and assembeled, but I will not install them until the paint and bodywork is done and I am on final assembly.

I recently acquired a '87 Buick Grand National, which makes a lineup of 3 cars to be done plus the T. A '96 Impala SS (gonna be black), a '69 Camaro Z/28 (Either Hugger Orange or blue), and the Grand National (Black).

Where do most of you buy your model kits? I've been looking online for a Subaru STi kit but cant find it anywhere. I don't see it on ebay either. Also, how do you get your paint jobs to look so nice?

The best place to get models is usually a hobby shop.

For paint, it's lots of patience, a bit of prepwork, and a decent spraycan.
I remember a site from a guy that did model Ferrari's that had an excellent tutorial section. There's a link somewhere on these forums, but I can't find it.

Back