General Model Kit Building Thread

I hope that damned infernal sedan Delivery turns out well for you slicks, I'd say that was the most frustrating kit I've built. :)

I've got a '60 Impala I got off of Ebay I've been taking my time with, I've yet to get the body where I want it, I filled in the spot where the Impala side trim goes with contour putty. I'm also waiting to find a set of wheels I like for it. I've got a set or Radirs I scavenged off a broken model, but they don't fit right with the studs in the axles.
I plan to do a two tone, kandy Violet with German Silver scallops.

Slicks
Slick Rick, I have a couple pointers for 'ya.
Looking at your Challenger, I am going to make 2 reccomendations.
1. Use masking tape when painting detail-work and trim. It helps cleans up the lines and keeps the paint where you want it.

2. This may or may not improve things for you, but I went out and bought a couple small, fine paintbrushes for $3-5 each, and I have noticed a difference in the way the paint turns out.

Thanks for the advice Slicks. I should of uploaded my my cars in the order i completed them. I bought the fine brush and started using tape aroud the Viper, Yenco Camaro and the Impala. I think if you look, can see an improved quality compared to the rest of the models.
Thanks for the tips anyway because thats exactly what i need because i want to get better.

One of the things im really happy about using the thin brush and tape is on the Impala, if you look carefully at the side white stripe you can just see a silver outline around the white. Im very happy with that because it looks really good in real life. But 1 problem is that i didnt press the tape down hard enough and just a bit of silver seeped through and left a jagged line but i dont mind, im still very happy with it, you learn from your mistakes right?

So I went to a model show today for airplanes, armour, watercraft, and cars. All I can say is 'wow'. Quite a few very well done dioramas, expertly detailed planes and some really cool ships. Including one wood one that was floating.
Lots of cool cars there that put my models to shame, mainly in the area of body paint.
I picked up a model Cobra 427 street version, 1:24 scale built in 1988/89 for $15. It had been opened but was complete and un-started. I'll put it in line behind all the others waiting to be built. I just thought I'd pick it up because I thought it would be unlikely to come across something like that ever again.
Anyway, I'm off to the races (literally). Last race of the season at the local circle-track. Should be lots of crashes :D

Just a local show... forget what it was called. I think it was Victoria Scale Modellers Club.
I actually live just north of Victoria in a town called Sidney, and it was at an events hall there.

Wow! look what just came through the post this very minute:

I would love to start it today but my damn paints keep drying out, even though the lids are tightly shut. Ill have to get some new ones tomorrow from the model shop :banghead:

You know, I'm not sure.
The only think I can think of would be to get some dark gray/black spray paint and mist it from a distance, although I think that would be easy to F up.

Work continues on the 'damned T'. I need to do one final sanding and go-over of the body before I prime and paint it. Haven't been working on it much lately.
I'm trying to figure out how to chop the windows, because the I chopped the top. I tried using a hack saw on the drivers side window but broke it (no biggie, wasn't planning on using it anyway). The back window is so small I might just use some clear packing tape. So basically just the windshield. Score & break mabye?

hrm, now that ive been moved in to my new appt, i think its time i start workin on my models again...need to finish up my super stallion 'stang powered lightning....gonna be sick

I have a small collection of model cars:

2 Darrell Waltrip models from the '82/'83 seasons (level 3 :sly: )
1998 Viper GTS
'95 Corvette ZR-1
'70 Pontiac Trans-Am
'67 Ford Mustang

I used to have a '57 Corvette, and 2 really old models, but they all fell apart beyond repair due to moving. :grumpy: There's also a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am kit I got 4 years ago and never started on it. :P If my models weren't so beat up from moving and I had a digital camera, I'd give y'all pics.

I think I might cannibalize a kit with a stovebolt, a kit with Buick rallye wheels and My '60 Impala kit to make my chevy. I'll take a lot of work though. :dopey:

Nice job Slick Rick

I'm working on trying to figure out how to body drop my S-10 Xtreme model right now. It's a lot harder to do with a model then it is with a real truck.

here it is :D :

I was very happy with the detail of the engine but realised once in the shell, you wouldn't be able to see much so i tried something different with the underside, What do you think??

I'm quite happy with it BUT i made 1 very big mistake. I painted the body blue but unbelieably it was meant to stay white so the decals don't show up as well as their meant to. Here's how its meant to look:

Ive started a new project now. Its a Toyota Supra. Ive already painted the body and i may post some pics soon.

I was just wondering how you stick the lights on the car without making them misty. On all my cars they have white marks where Ive glued them down. Ive tried using tiny amounts of glue but then the lights just fall off. Its getting quite annoying.

...Depends on the type of lights. If they're just lenses to stick on the body with no actual details like a headlight bucket behind them, then just put glue over the whole thing so that it's at least uniform. Otherwise, just put a thin strip of glue around the edge and hope for the best. Also, make sure that the glue is bonding to plastic on the body, not paint.

Looks pretty good. Two tone paint.. chrome/plastic bits. Any better shots?

Did you cannibalise the kit with the stovebolt?

For some reason, the stovebolt wouldn't fit under the hood. I was going for a kinda pro-touring look with it, so the 348 seemed appropriate. No better shots though.

Did you notice the paint color I used? :P

Slicks
It's not.... My god it is! (and you made it stick properly, too!) I didn't notice that before.

There's a wee bit of pooling, the Paint still wanted to let out it's demons on me..

But, i'm not going to risk trying again, because odds are I'll F it up.

Roadstar Orange.... One of the evilest spray colors out there.

I'm not gonna give up on that color yet, but I'm also not gonna paint it now. I'm instead going to wait until we get a few nice warm, dry days so I can put a solid 48 hours between coats.

Its winter here, and I live in a apartment, so i've created my own spray booth out of my bath/shower. Theres a window above the tub, and thanks to some cardboard, newspaper, and plastic sheeting, the paint doesn't get anywhere it shouldn't. Pretty easy to set up and take down, about 5 minutes work, and is less dusty/dirty than spraying outside.
I'll hopefully post some pics of my recent models soon. Looks like a lot of people here have some skill.

Quick question though, what brand, and type of clear coat does everyone use around here?

I've heard horror stories of some clears lifting, or wrecking decals, or in my case, Testors Clear Gloss creating an orange peel effect on the paint jobs. Right now, i'm using Model Master gloss clear, and it seems to be doing alright, smooth enough for me so far, but I think next time i'm going to try the Tamiya Clear. Just wanted to know what everyone else's opinions were on the subject.

I found a really cool site on model cars here:http://www.spc.org.uk/
This guy is very good. His Skyline KPGC10 2000GT-R is very impressive. His cars are good but there isn't too much on tips and stuff, if anyone's got a site with tips and hints please post a link.

Anyway i started a Toyota supra a while ago but i haven't got too far

I painted the body black first but i wasn't too happy with the finish so i'm going to smooth it a bit more and then paint the car red.

I would like to make a Japanese Tuner Style exhaust but it looks a bit complicated to fit on my supra.

Back