General Model Kit Building Thread

Slicks
Since I'm here, here's a link to my WIP on the '26 Sedan Delivery.
Brians Model Cars Link.
Your pretty popular there Slick:sly:

I was just wondering why you filled the windows? is it to give the body a smooth look when its finished?
I'm not experienced at all with scratch building and modifying etc.. I just build the stuff in the box so im not too sure what your trying to do...

Yeah, when I get it done the gaps in the back windows will be filled and it will be flush with the rest of the body.
I haven't done any scratchbuilding before, either. Just getting into more detailed and perfectionist-modelling now, including a bit of scratch modifications. I'm more or less a perfectionist by nature, so modelling seems to suit me well, even if it takes me a couple times to achieve the desired result.

woot! the Skyline's done:

Like I said earlier Im very happy with the level of detail on the underside and Interior and what i really like about the Skyline is the red bucket seats, i think they go very well with the white body but im still a bit upset i didnt have an engine to build :grumpy:
I will only use white for the body again if it will work really well with the car because its a bit** to use. Dust and dirt show up so bad on the body and the paint didnt dry properly but i still think i did a good job to keep dust away while painting.

Ive got my eyes on a 99' Mustang Cobra for my next project....

Slick Rick, you have some amazing talent. Nice work dude! 👍 (I'd like to see what you could do with the '60 Chevy model...:dopey: )

The Mustang came today.
Its reminded me why Ive been buying Tamiyas over Revell for so long. The parts have so much flash on them and its going to take a while to sort that out. I also think the Revell parts are thick and chunky compared to the delicate and detailed Tamiya parts.

I'm getting fed up with my Humbrol paints. The lids don't close properly, their messy, they dry up all the time and some don't paint on properly or are extremely thin.
Id like to get some new ones but im not sure whats good or not.
What paints go you recommend i should use??

Live thread, Live!!

my dt coursework finished a while ago so i had quite a bit of free time so i built an engine stand for my model 1/24's. It could probally hold larger ones but i dont think it would be too stable.
Anyway here it is in action holding the almost completely assembled mustang engine:

May the weather in my area be eternally damned. I don't think I'm even going to get a chance to paint until after Grad, on the 15th. This weekend is slated to rain, plus work. School during the week, and then work Saturday and detail a car for Sunday (Prize at grad, I volunteered to detail it). Then, school, grad, and hopefully some decent worktime on my model. That is, if I don't have a car to work on.

why does the weather need to be good for you to paint outside??
I started painting the body of the car yesterday while it was cloudy, it looked like it was gonna rain so i just put a bowl over it while it dried with a gap at the bottom, i was quite surprised also because it only took 3 hours to dry to touch

Slick Rick
Live thread, Live!!

my dt coursework finished a while ago so i had quite a bit of free time so i built an engine stand for my model 1/24's. It could probally hold larger ones but i dont think it would be too stable.
Anyway here it is in action holding the almost completely assembled mustang engine:

I love the engine stand, and have been thinking about building one for myself for a while now, you really did a great job. 👍

If thats going to be the engine you leave hanging on it though, you should remove the air filter box and tubing to give it a more authentic look. Thats something that would go on after the engine has been installed, and wouldn't stay up like that if it was installed on the stand.

lol, thanks!
i just thought i looked cooler with the air box on! The stand was very easy to make btw, i used wooden dowels but because they were cylindrical i had to make a face on the ends so the glue could stick better and would look more professional. After gluing it together it wasn't as sturdy as i thought it would be so i used nails instead which i would recommend doing in the first place if your going to make one and if you want to save a lot of time, try and find square bits of wood instead of cylindrical pieces, cutting faces into each part was a bit of a b****
My favorite part of it though are the mini wheels :D

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully i'll get a chance to work on one this week, and post some pics. Those wheels do look pretty good, and a great idea, definitly something i'll have to try to make on mine. 👍

Slick Rick
why does the weather need to be good for you to paint outside??
I started painting the body of the car yesterday while it was cloudy, it looked like it was gonna rain so i just put a bowl over it while it dried with a gap at the bottom, i was quite surprised also because it only took 3 hours to dry to touch

Because, typically, it is windy when it is cloudy where I live. Hence, I paint in my garage. For the garage to heat up enough, it needs to be quite warm/sunny outside.
I like being able to control, or at least have a consistent environment in which to paint.

Thats why I turn my bathroom (specifically bathtub) into a paint booth when I do my painting. :sly:

Oh yeah, my girlfriend loves it... :lol:

The problem is... it's not mine. Plus, my mom & brother would hang me. Same with anywhere inside other than the garage.

Hey, not too bad. Is that what you'd like the Biscuit to look like?
Looks like you could use a tripod, though.

Thanks! I have bad hands... :dopey: There's more, but Imageshack was being slow.

If I had an Impala, that's what I'd do, except for painting the Chrome silver. I did that because some of the trim was glue on chrome, and some would have to have been painted or leafed. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on Chrome foil and screw it up. Really, it was an endeavor into two tone painting, because the top of a '60 is relatively flat. I wouldn't mind that paint scheme though!:sly: And, I don't have that goofy rear trim on Biscuit.

And, The 305 is beating, and according to the mechanical Genius, it will be ready in a couple weeks.

He called me and told me that he was getting ready to turn the motor off and he was getting ready to drop it in last week. That's a step forward, but a new 2 piece driveshaft needs to be cut, and the brakes need totally redone, and it needs an exhaust system.

I... can't... wait....

Really nice cars dude! Those wheels on the ...Biscayne i think it is?? go VERY well with the car. They look like the one's that come from the Yenko Camaro

if you've got time post some more pics up, id love to see some more of the Chevy Biscayne.

Thanks man!

Sadly, it's not a Biscayne. It's an Impala, which didn't have the post in between the front and rear side glass. A+ for effort, though.

THe wheels are Radirs that came from a Revell '64 Ford thunderbolt. Somehow I shoehorned in the Drag slicks from the T-Bolt as well. The engine would have a blower, but it wasn't possible to fit it.

I've got that exact same Yenko on my shelf. In yellow, too. But it sits lopsided for some odd reason. :irked:

I'd get you some more pictures now, but I'm in Wichita, KS right now, which is 180 miles from where I live.

I must confess that a friend of my Dad painted the body of the '32 in House of Kolor Limetime Shimrin... I wish I knew how to paint that even and steady!

Ha! I thought it could have been an older Impala but Slicks threw me off when he mentioned 'Biscuit' lol!

High-Test
I've got that exact same Yenko on my shelf. In yellow, too. But it sits lopsided for some odd reason. :irked:
Funny you should say that. That Yenko Camero is my second. The first Camero i made is also lopsided! At the back yea?

Yup.. I'm the resident stoneage auto tech bonehead extraordinaire... or.. not?:dopey:

I think I've got one of the oldest cars here on GTP.. I think Hondakid86 has a 1960 Morgan, but I'm not totally sure.

I could tell you alot about the older Domestics, but I haven't a clue about any of the newer ones.

I got a hemi cuda a couple of years ago when my skills were well...crap and i wanna start it again but the body paint is terrible so what would be the best way to remove enamel and acrylic paint off a car body without ruining the plastic?

Uhhh... sand carefully? I'd probably sand it very lightly, then put it in primer. But I could be wrong. I think it's all dependent on how much of the paint you want to remove.

Nice avatar, BTW. 👍

High-Test
Uhhh... sand carefully? I'd probably sand it very lightly, then put it in primer. But I could be wrong. I think it's all dependent on how much of the paint you want to remove.

Nice avatar, BTW. 👍

yea, ive tried sanding but ill have to sand quite a lot to get the imperfections out which would also remove the body detail:grumpy: so i was hoping there was something around that would destroy the paint like thinners but not melt the plastic.

The avatar is from the extremely sexy Mclaren Merc SLR 722 on seriouswheels.com
http://seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Mercedes-Benz-SLR-722-Edition.htm

Step 1: Take the body off the rest of the model, and dissassemble as much as possible. This includes grilles, headlights, windows, everything you can.
Step 2: Immerse the body in brake fluid for 5-10 hours. It will eat the paint, but not touch the plastic.
Step 3: Remove from fluid, brush off the paint (I would recommend a toothbrush), and wash thoroughly.

You should then be ready for any bodywork that has to be done, and then paint!

If you can't get the body off, I would still reccomend trying a bit of brake fluid brushed onto the body, because it is still relatively easy to mask off the body to respray the bottom of the car.

Back