Moglet's Gallery [7th August 2019 - Japan Trip Update]

• Thread starter Moglet
  • 199 comments

Twycross Zoo
I hadn't visited my local zoo for years, and neither had my girlfriend when I asked her. She really wanted to go so off we went. I was very happy with a lot of these shots, some of the animals reacted so amazingly at just the right moments, others required a bit of patience!

I used various lenses, from my 18-55mm kit lens to a 50mm f1.8, but the lens I was most impressed with was the 75-200mm Nikkor. I rarely use it but had to use it at the zoo as a lot of the animals were far away. I switched to ISO400 to try and reduce camera shake due to the high zoom, and I was very impressed with the bokeh and the sharpness of the images, especially as the lens has been slated by a lot of people online!

zoo1.jpg

zoo2x.jpg

zoo3t.jpg

zoo5k.jpg

zoo6.jpg

zoo7i.jpg

zoo8q.jpg

zoo9.jpg

zoo10.jpg

zoo11.jpg

zoo12e.jpg

zoo13i.jpg

zoo14.jpg

zoo15.jpg

zoo16.jpg

zoo17.jpg

zoo18.jpg

zoo19.jpg

zoo20.jpg

Absolutely amazing collection of shots there, Mog. Meerkats are incredibly photogenic, as I found out when I photographed some at San Diego zoo.

Clarity and DOF in your shots is virtually perfect though, I'm very impressed.

I too am very impressed. Pretty much all of those shots are awesome. The tones and clarity are great and I particularly like the vibrance of the green bird shot.

How many of those were taken with the 75-200? if most then it seems like a pretty decent lens to me.

I plan on visiting the zoo soon and taking hopefully some great shots. If they turn out like alot of these i'd be pretty happy indeed. At the moment I only have a Nikkor 18-200. Not bad all-rounder but not great.

Nice set Mog. You've managed to do a great job not showing any fence (apart from the monkey shot where you deliberately incorporated it) and all the shots seem sharp and well composed.

Absolutely amazing collection of shots there, Mog. Meerkats are incredibly photogenic, as I found out when I photographed some at San Diego zoo.

Clarity and DOF in your shots is virtually perfect though, I'm very impressed.

I did enjoy shooting the Meerkats, especially as they stood so still for so long! A lot of people were saying "Simples" though, which annoyed me :lol:

GPR
I too am very impressed. Pretty much all of those shots are awesome. The tones and clarity are great and I particularly like the vibrance of the green bird shot.

How many of those were taken with the 75-200? if most then it seems like a pretty decent lens to me.

I plan on visiting the zoo soon and taking hopefully some great shots. If they turn out like alot of these i'd be pretty happy indeed. At the moment I only have a Nikkor 18-200. Not bad all-rounder but not great.

Thanks! Pretty much all of the shots with a lot of bokeh were taken with the 75-200, it certainly did the job well. I'm sure the 18-200 would give you similar results. The only problem I have with the 75-200 is that it's very slow to focus and often has problems 'locking on' to a focal point.

Nice set Mog. You've managed to do a great job not showing any fence (apart from the monkey shot where you deliberately incorporated it) and all the shots seem sharp and well composed.

Thankyou. My aim was to make it look as if they had been taken in the wild, and I think a lot of them were successful. In the end, however, I quite liked the strange light effects I got from the blurred reflections in the glass.

Excellent update Mog, pin-sharp subjects with a really nice depth of field.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Really good set, very impressed 👍

Thankyou very much, glad you like them. 👍

The only problem I have with the 75-200 is that it's very slow to focus and often has problems 'locking on' to a focal point.

Yeah that is annoying. I doubt my 18-200 is much better in that regard, have had that happen quite a number of times.

Warwick Street Festival featuring The Golden Monkey Tea Company

I visited the street party in Warwick this weekend so decided to get some basic street shots, then we visited The Golden Monkey where the owner encouraged me to take some photos for her website! I'll let you know how they go down, she has yet to see them.

Also, as a note for the non UK users, this isn't a typical UK high street or a typical English street party type affair, Warwick is just a very traditional place! The buildings there are magnificent.

The Golden Monkey
monkey6.jpg

monkey7.jpg

monkey1w.jpg

monkey2.jpg

monkey3.jpg

monkey4.jpg

monkey5.jpg

monkey8.jpg

monkey10.jpg

monkey11.jpg

monkey12.jpg

Street Festival
street6.jpg

street1v.jpg

street2w.jpg

street3.jpg

street4.jpg

street5.jpg

street7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice actually, the grain and overall style give it 60's feel. Who's the girl? Not a BOBFOC I hope :sly:

Nice actually, the grain and overall style give it 60's feel. Who's the girl? Not a BOBFOC I hope :sly:

Thanks! And it's my girlfriend, she's definitely not a BOBFOC! 👍

Wow, I haven't updated this for a very long time! There doesn't seem to be much activity around these parts anymore either which is a shame.

Anyway here are some randoms from our trip to a butterfly farm for my girlfriend's birthday;

butterfly1p.jpg

butterfly2.jpg

butterfly3.jpg

butterfly4d.jpg

Yeah the Photo Section is a bit quiet at the moment, probably due to the Competitions being on a hiatus. Nice to see a update from you, all the shots you posted are great but I particularly like the last one. The really autumn-like colours work well and the framing of the shot is really good.

You should post stuff more often! Hope to see more. 👍

Really like the shot of the cocoons. Also, I was looking through the pictures a few pages back and they're all quite nice. I think the street photography is especially good.

Great work as usual, Mog. 👍

I'm especially liking the 2nd and mainly the last one, the tones are absolutely beautiful, and the contrast and focus are spot on.

I dont even remember the last time I took a trip trough your gallery Mog, but I'm amazed at the quality of stuff you have shown here, there are some amazing sets in this place!!! I'll have to dig deeper to see what else I have missed.

Yeah the Photo Section is a bit quiet at the moment, probably due to the Competitions being on a hiatus. Nice to see a update from you, all the shots you posted are great but I particularly like the last one. The really autumn-like colours work well and the framing of the shot is really good.

You should post stuff more often! Hope to see more. 👍

Thanks!
I'm hoping to post more in this section but spending more time with my girlfriend has meant that I don't have much time for photos at the minute! Luckily she's fine with my hobby and encourages me to take pictures when we go out!

Really like the shot of the cocoons. Also, I was looking through the pictures a few pages back and they're all quite nice. I think the street photography is especially good.

Thanks, the cocoons photo took a few attempts to get right!

Stunning shots mog! Do you happen to have a deviant art account? If so add me as a friend: garnettrules21
I mainly have pug pics on mine at the moment lol
http://garnettrules21.deviantart.com/

I do have a DA account but I rarely use it anymore due to the kind of place it's become. It appears that the place has now just become an anime site. You can no longer get any good feedback unless you whore yourself on the forums or do anything related to Japan or the Japanese. It's a shame it has got to that point!

Great work as usual, Mog. 👍

I'm especially liking the 2nd and mainly the last one, the tones are absolutely beautiful, and the contrast and focus are spot on.

I dont even remember the last time I took a trip trough your gallery Mog, but I'm amazed at the quality of stuff you have shown here, there are some amazing sets in this place!!! I'll have to dig deeper to see what else I have missed.

Thanks for viewing! I'm currently waiting to upload some more shots but it's taking me a while to edit them to a level I'm satisfied with!

OH EM GEE Moglet..
I actually love each and every one of your pictures.
Off topic: Your girlfriend, does she happen to be Asian?

OH EM GEE Moglet..
I actually love each and every one of your pictures.
Off topic: Your girlfriend, does she happen to be Asian?

Thanks! She's not Asian, no. She's half English, half Polish somewhere down the line!

I see lots of talent in you my friend! very very nice works! :)

Thankyou very much :)

I went to a friends' wedding on Friday, missed out on a lot of shots because they had 2 more professional photographers there but I actually preferred hanging back and taking unusual photos instead! So here's what I got, with a few of the wind farms on the way home thrown in. A lot of the images have a lot of noise in as I left the ISO at 800 after playing around with the camera in the house. D'oh! Some of the images might also have some mad colours going on as they were edited on my girlfriend's laptop and not my calibrated screen!

edit11.jpg

edit25.jpg

edit1ho.jpg

edit4d.jpg

edit5n.jpg

edit8w.jpg

edit7a.jpg

edit10b.jpg

edit9.jpg

edit17.jpg

edit18.jpg

edit15.jpg

edit19.jpg

edit20.jpg

edit21.jpg

Nice set Mog, have you been able to show the newlyweds yet? I could have done with you doing ours! I particularly like the close ups and the last one, you can't go wrong with windmills and a brooding sky.

Lovely wedding pictures Mog 👍

Stuff like this is so much more indicative of the occasion than the usual stuffy professional shots. More and more professionals are offering this kind of style too now i've noticed.

American Auto Club UK Summer Nationals - 26th June 2011

This event was held about 30 mins drive from my house so I thought it would have been rude not to attend and get snapping! Unfortunately my batteries both ran out of juice near the end of the day, lesson learned there!

ac6t.jpg

acc1o.jpg

acc2n.jpg

acc3c.jpg

acc4g.jpg

acc5n.jpg

acc7.jpg

acc8ym.jpg

acc9e.jpg

acc10e.jpg

acc11.jpg

acc12.jpg

acc13.jpg

acc14.jpg

acc15.jpg

acc16.jpg

acc17.jpg

acc18.jpg

acc19.jpg

acc20.jpg

acc21.jpg

acc22x.jpg

acc23.jpg

acc24.jpg

acc25.jpg

acc26.jpg

acc27.jpg

Nice to see some activity going on in this sub-section again, and great to see some more shots from you. The wedding stuff is really great, I wish I could have those kind of ideas when I did a wedding last year (never again...), they make the event seem so much more personal.

The more recent car show stuff is also very cool, particularly liking the close-up style shots. #1, #14, #21 & #25 are my personal favourites. A really good set though. Have to admit I really do like your processing style, it looks really cool and seems to fit those classic American cars perfectly. 👍

7, 9, 17 and 23 are my favorites. Very nice shots with a lot of detail. 👍

Back