• 139 comments

Jump_Ace

Compare Yourself To The Best Of Your Own Abilities
Staff Emeritus
United States
Portland, OR
Jump_Ace
JUMPxACE
Mortal Kombat X, due out on next-gen consoles (all but Wii U - unsure about that) and PC sometime in 2015. More info here.

Graphic Content:

I used to love the older Mortal Kombat games, MKII and MKTrilogy especially. Graphics look good. I think I saw a combobreaker by Scorpion. Discuss away.

Jerome

Last edited:
Sometime in 2015, so mysterious.

No doubt Wiz khalifa is a special playable character and Snoop is the new fight announcer. :)

Wonder how many posts will be "awful music" all because its a rap song.

Anyhow, saw this earlier and was just about to post it here (until I found this thread). Definitely can't wait until this came out.

1409929622-mortal-kombat-x-goro.jpg

Can't say I'm surprised, that end to story mode in MK9 basically hinted that we weren't done with Quan Chi.

Also, I think that's the first fatality that I found to be...suggestive.

Big news scoop:

games-master-january-2015-cover.jpg

Only a guess at this point but based on that mokap shot that was posted, this might be Kenshi.

*January Intensifies*

Gamemasters. I'm assuming they are the UK's Game informer.

Wish I could reignite my interest in MK.

I used to love the franchise to no end back in my teens. It's just gotten so commercial over the years.

IMHO, MK 1 and 2 were the best ever.

I used to love the franchise to no end back in my teens. It's just gotten so commercial over the years.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Half of that was Midway running the franchise into the ground. Since Mortal Kombat 5, there were whole sale changes on the three MK games that were released since. MKvDCU was the final coffin for Midway as they collapsed within a year of release.

In many ways, MK9 was the fresh reboot that the franchise has needed, and I recommend that you play it.

Compared to MKX, MK9 is actually the tamer of the two of the reboots. Though to be honest, if you are looking to play something that is more akin to MK1 and MK2, Injustice might actually be your cup of tea. Yes it has blood, but none of the ultra violence that Mortal Kombat is now known for.

^^ I think... that's what I got tired of over the years: the violence and gore which was heavily marketed to sell the franchise. You don't need gore to make a great fighter. Remember Killer Instinct? Or the arcade classic Pit Fighter? Soul Caliber? And the Tekken games have always stood out.

But MK is MK. Doesn't have that charm for me anymore.

Pardon the off-topic mods!

^^ I think... that's what I got tired of over the years: the violence and gore which was heavily marketed to sell the franchise. You don't need gore to make a great fighter. Remember Killer Instinct? Or the arcade classic Pit Fighter? Soul Caliber? And the Tekken games have always stood out.

But MK is MK. Doesn't have that charm for me anymore.

Pardon the off-topic mods!

Not to tell you you're wrong in how you feel but the thing is, that's not what makes it a great fighter, its what has made MK stood out. It literally is the reason why the ESRB even came to exist. Its weird that you say that because the violence and the gore have been there since MK1 and MK2. From what I've heard everywhere, MK Vs DC bombed for that very reason: it didn't have the blood and gore that is in a MK game (Well, not as much of it anyway.

Last edited:
You're right. Though the gore just got more outrageous.. I thought to myself what's the point.

Funny how not a single dev has ventured into the fight sim territory.

We have bike sims, driving and flight seems...heck even a goat sim.. but not a fight sim.

Imagine the possibilities.

So I went back to watching MK videos and I have to ask. What characters would you like to return to MK X? I would like to see

Ermac
Noob-Saibot
Baraka
Noob-Smoke (anyone remember this guy)

So who do you want to return?

You're right. Though the gore just got more outrageous.. I thought to myself what's the point.

Funny how not a single dev has ventured into the fight sim territory.

We have bike sims, driving and flight seems...heck even a goat sim.. but not a fight sim.

Imagine the possibilities.
Most fight sims are usually based on sports anyways, like EA's UFC or Fight Night. Games like MK or Street Fighter has to have that arcade element so that the possibility of suspension of one's belief is entirely realistic.

Most fight sims are usually based on sports anyways, like EA's UFC or Fight Night. Games like MK or Street Fighter has to have that arcade element so that the possibility of suspension of one's belief is entirely realistic.

Agreed; you put it nicely.

EA's UFC and Undisputed, both title stink.. they're too slow and not realistic at all. SF or MK feel more authentic than that believe me.. (the moves).

EA's Fight Night... now that is one kick freakin ass game. Can't say enough good things about it.. you knock somebody out.. and it truly feels like you knocked their lights out! Blows feel realistic.. like they're connecting and inflicting damage.

Back