Mortal Kombat X

• Thread starter Jump_Ace
  • 139 comments
Kung Lao analysis from Maximilian:

- Kung Lao's three styles are influenced by what hat he wears, not unlike Kano. For one style that relies on heavy spinning, he wears a more traditional hat that he is known for. The "saw" style has a hat with teeth, for lack of a better term, so that he can use it more effectively as a bladed weapon. I didn't quite catch what the third style was, but I will leave the video below.

- Max brought up a very strong point in the difference between MK and SF. Ed Boon is very ingenious by allowing his characters to evolve in both appearance and playstyle, whereas Street Fighter's characters have grown stale. Granted the extra costumes that have plagued Street Fighter IV as Disk locked content helped, but being charged a premium of $5 for a pack really hurt Capcom's reputation. On a related note, general new character purchases go for around $5 a character.

^^ I think both have gone stale.

Somebody please bring a serious fighting game to current gen. Pit Fighter reboot anyone?

Killer Instinct's looking good though.

I wonder if Namco's ever releasing a realistic Tekken game without all those magical visual effects and believable physics.. coupled with a little bit of gore and photo-realism...

You won't be seeing a fight sim anytime. The closest you'll get is EA's UFC game and that's it.

As for Mk, I'm guessing you feel its gone stale because of the gore?

- Max brought up a very strong point in the difference between MK and SF. Ed Boon is very ingenious by allowing his characters to evolve in both appearance and playstyle, whereas Street Fighter's characters have grown stale. Granted the extra costumes that have plagued Street Fighter IV as Disk locked content helped, but being charged a premium of $5 for a pack really hurt Capcom's reputation. On a related note, general new character purchases go for around $5 a character.

If I recall, they did the same thing to Street Fighter X Tekken (which were found on the PC version) and that massively contributed to its poor sales.

And correct me if this is untrue but supposedly, Ono had returned from the hospital (can't remember what it was that he was in for) and without giving him anytime to recooperate, Capcom forced him back to work.

Last edited:
The last realistic fight sim was K1 GP games back in PSX and PS2, K1 GP 98 was one of the best, it was tactical and rewarding. It was also the last game to feature the late Andy Hug -a legendary fighter that maybe only Ernesto Hoost or Peter Aerts can compare with or maybe Sam Greco and Fransisco Filho :D. Tried UFC on PS3, didn't like it, still prefer K1 style match :)

If I recall, they did the same thing to Street Fighter X Tekken (which were found on the PC version) and that massively contributed to its poor sales.
The point remains that the whole disk locked content BS started with Street Fighter IV. Street Fighter x Tekken was the straw that broke the camel's back because half the game roster was disk locked content.

And correct me if this is untrue but supposedly, Ono had returned from the hospital (can't remember what it was that he was in for) and without giving him anytime to recooperate, Capcom forced him back to work.

It is, but it isn't true at the same time. Ono was in the hospital for exhaustion. Where Ono got lucky was that Capcom did give him a little time off after getting out because a Street Fighter IV revision was just released (I think that it was the Arcade Edition 2012 patch), and they barely needed him. He got back to work for Ultra. That is why there is a two year gap between ver. 2012 and Ultra.

^^ I think both have gone stale.

Somebody please bring a serious fighting game to current gen. Pit Fighter reboot anyone?

Killer Instinct's looking good though.

I wonder if Namco's ever releasing a realistic Tekken game without all those magical visual effects and believable physics.. coupled with a little bit of gore and photo-realism...
A serious fighter? There are plenty but there isn't enough support for it. Skullgirls was dropped, virtual fighter died down again. But Xrd has been releases and is pretty fun. Harada has kept some good secrets from leaking especially after always stating "don't worry Tekken x Street Fighter is coming". Smash 4 has been dumb down...and new anime characters are being released for Dead or Alive.

Fight night 4 was a good one also.

Sad.. but true *Metallica*...

Yeah, there isn't a market for it, unfortunately. Just like there isn't for a raw driving or flight simulator on consoles.

Fight Night...that was a KICK ASS fight game.

New reveal video, featuring the first gameplay of Kung Lao AND a newly revealed character: Kitana

OK, I sure someone here can answer my question. If this is a direct sequel to MK9, then has it been explained yet how some these old characters are even in X, considering certain events from the supposedly canon story of MK9?

OK, I sure someone here can answer my question. If this is a direct sequel to MK9, then has it been explained yet how some these old characters are even in X, considering certain events from the supposedly canon story of MK9?

So far, nothing concreate really. the closest we probably have to explaining anything is the MKX comics currently being published.

The only possible theory I have for Kitana and Kung Lao showing up is that while they were under Quan-chi's commands as his undead soldiers, something (or someone) somehow brought them back to their senses. The timeline does sorta skip back and forth throughout the years between MKX and MK9 so anything could've happened.

As for Sub-Zero (who has been revealed as Kuai Liang), not quite sure how he's even here despite that he was turned into a cyborg yet has turned up as Human.

So far, nothing concreate really. the closest we probably have to explaining anything is the MKX comics currently being published.

The only possible theory I have for Kitana and Kung Lao showing up is that while they were under Quan-chi's commands as his undead soldiers, something (or someone) somehow brought them back to their senses. The timeline does sorta skip back and forth throughout the years between MKX and MK9 so anything could've happened.

As for Sub-Zero (who has been revealed as Kuai Liang), not quite sure how he's even here despite that he was turned into a cyborg yet has turned up as Human.

Probably won't get the full story until near release. The Cyborg-back-to-Human thing has happened before, Smoke IIRC, but I don't know the story behind that either. Thanks.

I want to know how Shinok will be a part of the story. I remember he was in MK4 and MK9 was a HD re imagining of MK1-3. I also want to know if I can play as Ermac and Noob-Saibot.

You mean Shinnok? He was the former elder god of the dead and ruler of the netherrealm after all, and will play a big part in the game. His playability however remains in question.

You mean Shinnok? He was the former elder god of the dead and ruler of the netherrealm after all, and will play a big part in the game. His playability however remains in question.

No, I mean Quan chi because when Raiden went to make a deal with him, Quan Chi showed him all of his allies in their zombiefied form (which included Kung Lao and Kitana) and commanded them to attack Raiden. Remember, Quan chi's main strength in his sorcery is necromancy, which deals with the dead.

That must have changed with the reboot. In the old timeline, it was Shinnok who could raise the dead to be placed under Quan-Chi's control.

No, I mean Quan chi because when Raiden went to make a deal with him, Quan Chi showed him all of his allies in their zombiefied form (which included Kung Lao and Kitana) and commanded them to attack Raiden. Remember, Quan chi's main strength in his sorcery is necromancy, which deals with the dead.
And Cyber Sub-Zero, as well as most of the remaining Earthrealmers.
That must have changed with the reboot. In the old timeline, it was Shinnok who could raise the dead to be placed under Quan-Chi's control.
Perhaps they were? Shinnok doesn't appear until the end of the last cut scene, so he could have done it and no one knows for certain. The only hang up is Sindel(sp?) and IIRC Quan Chi resurrects her in both timelines between the Outworld tournament and the Invasion, due to her sacrificing herself to block an invasion.

Most of this comes from watching and reading, I cannot fight to save anything, and I'm horrid at fighters.

And Cyber Sub-Zero, as well as most of the remaining Earthrealmers.

Perhaps they were? Shinnok doesn't appear until the end of the last cut scene, so he could have done it and no one knows for certain. The only hang up is Sindel(sp?) and IIRC Quan Chi resurrects her in both timelines between the Outworld tournament and the Invasion, due to her sacrificing herself to block an invasion.

Most of this comes from watching and reading, I cannot fight to save anything, and I'm horrid at fighters.
Shang Tsung resurrected Sindel in the original timeline. I'll quote you the intro to Mortal Kombat 3:

For centuries Earth has used Mortal Kombat to defend itself against the Outworld's emperor Shao Kahn. But, Kahn becomes frustrated by failed attempts at taking Earth through tournament battle. He enacts a plan which began 10,000 years ago.

During this time Kahn had a queen. Her name was Sindel and her young death was unexpected. Kahn's Shadow Priests, led by Shang Tsung, make it so that Sindel's spirit would someday be reborn: not on the Outworld, but on the Earth realm itself.

This unholy act gives Shao Kahn the power to step through the dimensional gates and reclaim his queen. Thus enabling him to finally seize the Earth realm.

Upon breaching the portal into Earth, Shao Kahn slowly transforms the planet into a part of the Outworld itself.

Kahn strips the Earth of all human life: claiming every soul as his own.

But there are souls which Kahn can not take. These souls belong to the warriors chosen to represent Earth in a new Mortal Kombat.

The remaining humans are scattered though out the planet. Shao Kahn sends an army of fierce Outworld warriors to find and eliminate them.

He's never been shown as a god of death. Shinnok is a former elder god, who was banished and then , with the help of Quan chi and a cult of demons he assembled called "The Brotherhood of Shadow, overthrew Lucifer and took rule over the Netherrealm.

As mentioned, it was Shang Tsung that originally did this in the previous timeline. Remember that MK9 is essentially the MK1-MK3 universe but altered (hence why Its Sub-Zero being cybernated and not Smoke for instance).

Shang Tsung resurrected Sindel in the original timeline. I'll quote you the intro to Mortal Kombat 3:

I stand corrected. I'd forgotten about Shang Tsung.

As mentioned, it was Shang Tsung that originally did this in the previous timeline. Remember that MK9 is essentially the MK1-MK3 universe but altered (hence why Its Sub-Zero being cybernated and not Smoke for instance).

And the contious efforts of Raiden to change some other things, Kung Lao to win in Outworld, trying to keep Scorpion from killing SZ1, and the Liu Kang ordeal at the end.

1507635_10155183103135089_8920477592248434493_n.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/138564405088.../10155183103135089/?type=1&source=54&refid=17

And Character reveal #1 is.....Reptile:

Figured that was gonna happen since he didn't die. Also, love Kung Lao's dialog :lol:

Last edited:
Character reveal #2 is...Ermac:

Abit weird seeing his face, but cool. Also interesting to note that he floats during combat.

This unfortunately confirms that Jade isn't coming to MKX.

Finally, the Story Trailer is here:

Apparently, Boon promised five character reveals but there appears to be many more:

Kung Jin
Takashi Takeda (From the MKX Comic Book)
Jackie Briggs (From MKX Comic Book)
Mileena (No surprise)
Arron Black (From the MKX Comic Book)
Johnny Cage (Supposedly, that's him in the scene with Raiden and Shinnok. Not sure if playable)
Shinnok (not sure if playable)
Rain (Recently shown in the MKX comic Book, could be playable)
Sindel (in Zombie form alongside a Zombie Kitana, could be playable)

"Don't know about you guys, but I'm living the dream" :lol: And just like that, I love Jackie already.

Also, the voice of Steven Jay Bloom.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I've got mine pre ordered and I almost died on a sheet of ice to do so. Worth it in my opinion.

Cage Family trailer:

Massive shocker I must say. Of all the things I was expecting to hear, "Ex-Wife" wasn't one.

Also, I completely lost it at Johnny's Fatality :lol:

And if you look carefully, Kenshi is in the trailer.

So this trailer pretty much confirms Johnny Cage & Sonya Blade as playable (And more then likely, Kenshi as well considering he showed up in the MK Mobile Trailer.)

Last edited:
Don't know how I feel about Voorhees but Cage looks awesome. I hope Kenshi's playable since he's the only good character to debut in the PS2 games.

Back