Most Common Problem's With PS3's & How To Fix Them.

Was this information helpful?

• YES

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • NO

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Silent7Sniper7
Hey all Chris here, I have had a few problems with my PS3 lately & have found loads of information on how to fix them, so I have decided to create this thread for people to check when they have a problem themselves.

Firstly is the most common problem I have noticed.

Blu-Ray Discs & Games Not Working.

The Problem

The most common reason is dust on the lens inside the PS3 system. Second reason is corrupted data on your PS3's hard drive. Thirdly is the Blu-Ray reader has burnt out.

How To Fix

- To remove dust just simply get any household hoover with a plastic attachment at the end or any handheld hoover & run it along the vent on the PS3 system. http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/kw/cleaning the PS3

- How to fix corrupt data on the hard drive. To do this you need to put the PS3 into recovery mode. (Step by Step instructions underneath this paragraph.) Recovery mode is completely safe & uses as little power & functions as possible. Once in recovery mode select the 3RD option, this will NOT delete any data on the PS3. It will check the hard drive for corrupt data & attempt to restore it. (This could take up to 2 hours). If it cannot restore it you will have to delete it. If this still doesn't fix the problem you may have to completely clear the hard drive. (This will remove everything so make sure you copy everything onto a USB stick.) To do this simply put the PS3 into recovery mode & select option the 5TH option.

HOW TO PUT YOUR PS3 INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Make sure the PS3 is off but still has power going to it.
2. Hold down the power button until the PS3 turns on then back off.
3. Release the button once it has turned off.
4. Hold down the power button again until you here 1 beep & then 2 more beeps.
5. Connect your controller with a USB lead & select which option you require.

- If none of the above work then your Blu-Ray reader has burnt out, this is serious because it could burn a circle onto your discs which will result in them being damaged & have to be replaced. If your PS3 is still under warranty then Sony will replace this free of charge, if it isn't, then fixing it could set you back 120 pounds. They also give the option to buy a refurbished PS3 with 1 year warranty for 150 - 160 pounds.
If you feel confidant that you could replace it yourself you can easily buy a new disc drive.

PS3 Overheating?

Problem

PS3 getting to hot & automatically shutting down & not turning on again.

How to fix

Most of the time this is a safety feature (especially with the PS3 Slim) When it shuts down because of it being overheated it will not turn off for at least 30 minutes, this is so it can cool down.
To stop this in the first place make sure the PS3 system is not in an enclosed area with little ventilation. If it is in an enclosed area try a PS3 cooling stand, there are loads to choose from. Your PS3 simply sits on top & is connected via 1 of the USB ports. My personal one is a vertical stand, it helps greatly & the PS3 could be left on for 24 hours without a worry.
Another way is to hoover dust out all of the vents, (Please see paragraph 1 for more information)

HDMI Cable stopped working?

Problem

HDMI cable no longer giving out a video or audio thead.

How to fix

- It is probably because the wires inside have become warn out or even burnt & melted together. Depending on the quality & how much you use your PS3 will determine how long your HDMI cable will last. A simple 5 pound one will last about a year, a 10 pound one will last about 2 years and so on. Just simply buy a new cable & continue gaming.

- If the cable is fine the problem will be your HDMI cable port on your PS3 or TV, these will have to be replaced by a professional & prices may vary.

New To Having A HDMI Cable?

If your new to having a HDMI cable just follow these simple step-by-step instructions to set it up.

1. Leaving your original video & audio cables in, just plug your HDMI cable into your PS3 & TV.
2. A message should appear saying a HDMI cable has been connected, just select yes.
3. If a message does not come up saying a HDMI cable has been connected go to settings - Display settings - Video output & follow the instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. If the above method does not work put the PS3 system into recovery mode & select Restart PS3 system. (See above for instructions on how to enter recovery mode)
5. Once the PS3 has turned back on you will see the message saying a HDMI cable has been connected & select yes.

What Are All The 800 Error Codes?

- If you are receiving error codes that begin with '800' click the link below, select the error code you are getting & find out what the problem is & how to fix it.

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/a...sion/L3RpbWUvMTMyNDU3NDU4MC9zaWQvZGc2dUVlTWs=

- If you have any questions or ideas for me, please dont hesitate to say.

- Please note I can not be held responsible for any damage or loss of data to your PS3 system.

(Please do not copy this & post it on another website without letting me know & giving me some credit for it)

Last edited:
Really, really good guide. I wasn't having any problems with my ps3 however it had been in a dusty area for a couple of weeks so I did the rear blowing feature. Worked really well, a tonne of dust came out and now my ps3 is clean. Only downside is that I breathed in most of the dust and now I'm coughing non stop.

Really, really good guide. I wasn't having any problems with my ps3 however it had been in a dusty area for a couple of weeks so I did the rear blowing feature. Worked really well, a tonne of dust came out and now my ps3 is clean. Only downside is that I breathed in most of the dust and now I'm coughing non stop.

Haha I did the exact same yesterday, I was amazed at how much dust actually came out.

Haha I did the exact same yesterday, I was amazed at how much dust actually came out.

I just did this and I was blown away haha, That fan went hardcore!!! I was pleased that hardly any noticeable dust came out.

That vac the vents idea SOUNDS like a good one but I have noticed a large amount of static electricity with vacs over the years and I would be scared that you could get some static electricity to discharge on one of the ports on the back and wreck the PS3, not a guarantee but a possible risk.

I just did this and I was blown away haha, That fan went hardcore!!! I was pleased that hardly any noticeable dust came out.

That vac the vents idea SOUNDS like a good one but I have noticed a large amount of static electricity with vacs over the years and I would be scared that you could get some static electricity to discharge on one of the ports on the back and wreck the PS3, not a guarantee but a possible risk.

I was told about something like that but they said PS3 slims are protected. I will do some more research & keep the thread updated.

The PS3's auto clean feature does not work for my 60GB Fat PS3. My PS3 just beeps and does not do a fan test. My PS3's specific model serial is cecha01 if you need that information. Though I don't need the feature since I can take my PS3 apart and get rid of the dust myself and a few years down the line I can also replace the thermal paste as I've done a year ago. If you plan on doing that then I'd recommend having a system to keep the parts organized when you took them off. It makes it that much easier when you put it back together.

The PS3's auto clean feature does not work for my 60GB Fat PS3. My PS3 just beeps and does not do a fan test. My PS3's specific model serial is cecha01 if you need that information. Though I don't need the feature since I can take my PS3 apart and get rid of the dust myself and a few years down the line I can also replace the thermal paste as I've done a year ago. If you plan on doing that then I'd recommend having a system to keep the parts organized when you took them off. It makes it that much easier when you put it back together.

Yer it doesn't work on the old systems, just the slim, should probably put that in but your lucky, the old ones are easy to take apart & clean etc

The fan test isn't really a feature and should never be done. Your basically confusing the systems temperature sensing forcing the fan to full speed and its not something the system was ever designed for.

The fan test isn't really a feature and should never be done. Your basically confusing the systems temperature sensing forcing the fan to full speed and its not something the system was ever designed for.

Really? I've checked about 15 websites & all of them mention doing it.

Really? I've checked about 15 websites & all of them mention doing it.

Even if they mention it its a glitch, not a built in feature thats just a secret and it will probably do more harm to the system than good. The best way to clean it is to just vacuum out the rear every now and then.

Even if they mention it its a glitch, not a built in feature thats just a secret and it will probably do more harm to the system than good. The best way to clean it is to just vacuum out the rear every now and then.

Ok, thank you very much. I will change the OP asap.

hi there, my PS3 has stopped reading disks, as its a Phat 40GB PS3 should i A: get a replacement laser/clean it out or B: buy a new PS3. The reason i ask this is because if i did replace laser how long should that last?

hi there, my PS3 has stopped reading disks, as its a Phat 40GB PS3 should i A: get a replacement laser/clean it out or B: buy a new PS3. The reason i ask this is because if i did replace laser how long should that last?

If you feel your really confidant to do it yourself then buy a blu ray laser from ebay (20 - 30 pounds). If your like me, you feel confidant to do it yourself but dont want to get into a mess buy a new blu ray disk drive, really easy to replace but its 60 pounds. They will last a minimum of 2 years, it depends on how much you use your PS3. If you have the money to get a new PS3 go to Game, Gamestation etc & they'll buy your broken one.

Hope this helps, if you dont already hoover the vents once a week to help your PS3 BUT make sure you have a plastic attachment, if you use metal you'll fry your hard drive & loose EVERYTHING.

If you feel your really confidant to do it yourself then buy a blu ray laser from ebay (20 - 30 pounds). If your like me, you feel confidant to do it yourself but dont want to get into a mess buy a new blu ray disk drive, really easy to replace but its 60 pounds. They will last a minimum of 2 years, it depends on how much you use your PS3. If you have the money to get a new PS3 go to Game, Gamestation etc & they'll buy your broken one.

Hope this helps, if you dont already hoover the vents once a week to help your PS3 BUT make sure you have a plastic attachment, if you use metal you'll fry your hard drive & loose EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the reply, well i think i'll get into a mess if i try to open it up, but my brother the "genius" says its fine. So i'll buy a new PS3 as need a Hard drive upgrade and this one is quite old too. Then i'll get this one repaired and sell it off.

Thanks, have a nice day.

The Problem

The most common reason is dust on the lens inside the PS3 system. Second reason is corrupted data on your PS3's hard drive. Thirdly is the Blu-Ray reader has burnt out.

Looks like this could be the new problem our PS3. Which is a shame since our PS3 really hasnt been used that much other than blu ray movies and some B spec racing in GT5. I will try to vacuum it out first.

All of a sudden we are getting disk read errors with certain games. Also one of our blu ray movies started skipping but works in my neighbors blu ray players.

The Problem

Looks like this could be the new problem our PS3. Which is a shame since our PS3 really hasnt been used that much other than blu ray movies and some B spec racing in GT5. I will try to vacuum it out first.

All of a sudden we are getting disk read errors with certain games. Also one of our blu ray movies started skipping but works in my neighbors blu ray players.

Sounds like your blu-ray laser is starting to go. Is your PS3 still on warranty? If not then it could cost $70 - $80 to get it fixed.

About HDMI cable problems, you forgot one: cord not fully plugged in. It's happened to me enough that when my TV loses video connection to my PS3, the first thing I do is unplug and reinsert the HDMI cable.

Don't use a vacuum on your PS3, it causes static electricity and will destroy it! I know Sony say to use the hose attachment, but with the possibility of this happening, I know I won't be doing it. I've got my ps3 since 3 days after launch day (prebooked, no need for queues of the launch) and I've not cleaned it yet, and there are many more vents on that ps3 than any of the newer fatties or slims. As long as it's in open air with good ventilation they're fine!

Last edited:
Sounds like your blu-ray laser is starting to go. Is your PS3 still on warranty? If not then it could cost $70 - $80 to get it fixed.
Yesterday it was constantly getting disc read errors while my wife was playing MW3. At least 10 times. So where can we get the PS3 repaired for $70-$80? Geek Squad at Best Buy?? Gosh these new 360s and PS3s are junk. 👎

Also, if we got a new one how would we transfer the data from 1 PS3 to the other PS3? Could we put the saves on a flash drive??

Last edited:
You could probably buy the laser on ebay for less than $70 if you feel confident in fixing it yourself. As for the game saves just stick them on a flash drive for now. To back up the system you hook up and external HDD and make a copy of the entire PS3's contents then on the new PS3 you transfer them back over.

What model PS3 is it?

I dont know the model number but its the slim and she bought it for me almost exactly 2 years ago. This all started happening after I left it on for the 24 hour B spec endurance race in GT5. First the optical shut of now this.

Back