Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,362 comments
Just change the quality from 360p to 240p! Then it works fine. :)

Ah, that worked perfectly! Cheers mate.

That's what the drivers saw too...

Ah, after watching the clip, I now see what you're on about...

Ah yeah sorry, unticking hardware acceleration solves the green screen you may get on some videos, forgot to mention as someone has now said, that vid also needs to be 240.

Not to worry, but cheers for being helpful 👍

Complete with a heavy impact, a barrier fire, crazy commentary, and Spider Man directing traffic at 5:19.

lol, that commentary reminds me of the commentator at my local track, he sounded like he was crying whenever one the top drivers crashed

That barrier fire was crazy... and yet, after watching that video, I wonder why I haven't seen it happen before. Any hard rear-end impact with a foam barrier should have the potential to combine heat from the engine with spilled fuel right next to the combustible material in the barrier. Are they usually made of fire-resistant materials or something?

That barrier fire was crazy... and yet, after watching that video, I wonder why I haven't seen it happen before. Any hard rear-end impact with a foam barrier should have the potential to combine heat from the engine with spilled fuel right next to the combustible material in the barrier. Are they usually made of fire-resistant materials or something?

The US and UK don't use foam. All the races I've seen use tires against walls like that.

My thought was, "Guys, you're in the kitty litter, just grab some shovels and toss some of that sand on the fire."

For those of you who missed yesterday's 6-hour Spa race, here's what you also missed:

...which looks suspiciously like what happened last year:

Bouchut's car had a broken rear right suspension while it seems like Brabham lost it. I think any crash around the Eau Rouge would look similar anyway.

And if you didn't catch the Nationwide race on Saturday, here's what you missed. Horrific wreck, McClure's car picks up so much speed and then just slams into the wall :ouch:

I was watching that live and was amazed/scared at how hard he hit the wall.
Glad he's alright, 10 years ago and he wouldn't have gotten away from that.

Very true. It looked like everybody was spinning at a fairly sedate pace and then he just came flying out the side of the pack; no idea how he picked up all that speed.

We have Dr. Robert Hubbard and his HANS device to be grateful too. Before the device came into major use there were many serious injuries and deaths in motorsports due to unrestrained head movement during accidents.

Very true. It looked like everybody was spinning at a fairly sedate pace and then he just came flying out the side of the pack; no idea how he picked up all that speed.
He was going a hell of a lot faster than the others involved; mainly due to the fact he didn't spin before the impact. Watch further back in the pack as the incident happens; he was already travelling at quite a speed and still accelerating as he received a nudge which sent him flying off the track. However since he didn't spin or slide violently before he hit the barrier not much speed was lost at all. Anyway lets be thankful he's okay. :)

I have to add, his cars bonnet is ironic...
"Hefty".

I think that he was slowing down, but everyone else spinning made it look like he was on the gas. (Although looking at it now i don't see any skid marks from the brakes.)
Going from 180mph+ to the wall gives you very little tim to slow down, and he got into one of those slides that doesn't go either way, it just crabs along. So he couldn't get it spun around in the other direction, buying him more time to bleed off some speed.

If there's any drag race worth seeing, it's this one. And this is coming from someone who's not interested in GT5 drag-racing lobbies.

That moment when Harvey the Crane Engine is basically Tim Harvey.

300207.jpg

4.%20Tim%20Harvey%20story_2.jpg

Back