Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,369 comments
Nice of him to drive all that way so he could crash in front of the camera.

I think they have mics or something inside the car for communicating.

Hmm, then the mechanics must need some sort of speaker system.

:D just messing. What I'm getting at is whether they use CV or what. Just considering how they'd let the teams know they crashed, but I'm sure there are spotters all over the place so they'd no pretty quickly anyway.

Hmm, then the mechanics must need some sort of speaker system.

:D just messing. What I'm getting at is whether they use CV or what. Just considering how they'd let the teams know they crashed, but I'm sure there are spotters all over the place so they'd no pretty quickly anyway.

Iv'e seen a good few instances where satellite mobile phone has been used, This is how the drivers + co-drivers must know when to slow down near the end of stages to get better road position the next day. As incar timing equipment is not allowed.

I just watched the GP3 race in Monaco and how this could've also gone terrible wrong other than Daly's horror crash out of the tunnel.

^Really good work by the marshalls and also very interesting to see how the medical car puts itself between the line the race cars will be coming past on and the marshalls on the track.

.... very interesting to see how the medical car puts itself between the line the race cars will be coming past on and the marshalls on the track ...

Noticed that too when I saw it. Clever driver, using the car to shield the marshalls from any harm, I doubt that's written anywhere in the rulebook.

Noticed that too when I saw it. Clever driver, using the car to shield the marshalls from any harm, I doubt that's written anywhere in the rulebook.

It's taught in marshall/track staff training/meetings, along with never turning your back on a live circuit.

After the comedy of errors lately from marshalls in some major motorsport events, its good to see that the Monaco marshalls are as good as ever. 👍

I used to think that most of the ones involved with BTCC events were very good but of recent they've made silly mistakes everytime they've appeared on screen! If it isn't getting the recovery vehicles stuck in mud or gravel its attempting to tow cars through gravel forwards or attaching the tow to damaged bodywork and pulling half the car off.

In terms of marshals hope they don't repeat Monaco with the late safety car. Lap 2 the marshals would have been knocked down like bowling pins if there was another crash.

Or Canada last year. Was it the falling over contest that day? :lol:

Last edited:
It's a miracle that the Formula Renault 2.0 didn't result in 2 deaths . Head on crash with zero visibility ... very scary.

^Really good work by the marshalls and also very interesting to see how the medical car puts itself between the line the race cars will be coming past on and the marshalls on the track.

We are taught to always when possible to have a car between you and the track. That way, it will get hit rather than us.
At night, you dont go out on track unless a saftey car has been called and there is a car/ rescue vehicle between you and the track.

Tough to spot against the all white background of all the marshalling tents.

In case if he crashed to the back of the BMW, the fault will still be Schulze's because the white flag was shown. There shouldn't be any confusion anyway because the marshall tent responsible for showing the white flag was in grey with blue top.

Tough to spot against the all white background of all the marshalling tents.

Stop the video at 5'52. Its pretty clear. Especially at a track like the Nurburgring its crucial to be looking out for the flags! Maybe he assumed the slow car would be on the inside line, I still think its a little bit dangerous to taking the corner flat out knowing a very slow car is around the corner. Good reactions though and lucky to not crash.

In 2003, Mario Andretti comes out of retirement to run practice laps at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in place of the injured Tony Kanaan.

After running over a piece of debri left on the track from a car in front, Andretti's indycar cartwheeled through the air, destroying the top of the Indianapolis catch fencing. Andretti made it out of the incident with only a scratch. He would not return to the cockpit again.

Stop the video at 5'52. Its pretty clear. Especially at a track like the Nurburgring its crucial to be looking out for the flags! Maybe he assumed the slow car would be on the inside line, I still think its a little bit dangerous to taking the corner flat out knowing a very slow car is around the corner. Good reactions though and lucky to not crash.

But you're still an idiot if you ride with such a slow pace on racing lines. It's just something you shouldn't do, especially on the Nurb with plenty of blind corners and no where to go.. And yes, good reaction from the driver.

It is the Nurburgring - whether you are on the racing line or not you are going to get in the way as the track is so narrow and there are so many blind fast corners.
I've always felt that I prefer backmarkers/slow cars being on the racing line as its easier to react and predict their movement. Its worse when a slow car is weaving one way or another trying to stay off the racing line - better to be predictable.

Its always going to be hard with backmarkers, slow cars and accidents at the Nurburging. Thats why I tend to lean more on the side of blaming the faster driver for not being more careful. A white or yellow flag at this track really means you need to be very careful. You cannot see very far around the corners at all and the speed you take the corners gives you barely any time to react. Its not worth the risk of a very big accident just to avoid backing off.

I agree, you're always in the wrong spot on the Nurb, still I would try to get as much out of the way as I could, especially as a racing driver who knows high speed traffic is coming up. I would almost think he is in his way on purpose to destroy his qualification time....

I think the BMW sort of misjudged the timing to when will the Nissan come - thought of going away when he reached the next corner, or perhaps he didn't even know the Nissan was coming. One thing for sure, in the Nordschleife (not the Nurburgring) racing line is almost non-existent. In every single lap you'll be going on the inside, outside, back to the inside every single corner to overtake slower cars and sometimes giving way to the faster cars.

From my view, the blame should be put on Tobias Schulze. He was shown the white flag, he should've slow down and expect something even if it was a qualifying lap because this is a Nordschleife and not a 5km GP track. That's just how things work here.

In Le Mans, it's the slower cars that should stay on the racing line while the faster cars should find their own way to overtake these slower cars. If they're involved in an accident, the faster car will be the one to blame.

I think the AWD in the GT-R helped out there quite a bit too. And I agree that the slow car should not have been on the racing line. Yes, the line on that track is all over the place on any given lap, but in that exact spot at that exact moment, he was clearly on the line and shouldn't have been.

In case if he crashed to the back of the BMW, the fault will still be Schulze's because the white flag was shown. There shouldn't be any confusion anyway because the marshall tent responsible for showing the white flag was in grey with blue top.

I wasnt trying to make excuses for him, and Im sure that the flags are a bit more prominent to the drivers than it is to us watching the video.

The funniest part is when the commentators say "And that's not the way he would have wanted to start his race.

Reminds me of when Schumacher crashed under safety car in Monaco.

Or when Montoya I think it was spun on the formation lap in Melbourne.

Last edited:
Back