Must we tolerate rudeness in forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
Texas
bluesmanbwd81977
Stirring the pot is something i like to do from time to time, so here goes. I just got done reading the question from loftty about the 20 million credit cars, and it seems mr. Daan was a jerk for no reason. So he is a moderator? Kinda like a cop of some sort? Then i see Famine run to his defense for being a jerk. Well two things should be required for being on the police force. Common sense and decency. It just might work, it certainly hasn't been tried yet. That's it. Have a nice day Lt. DAAN... :-p

Having looked back at the thread I think you have a point. The moderators do a very good job on these forums but at nobody is perfect. Daan's comment was sarcastic and that is not what you would call dealing with dyslexia professionally.

Stirring the pot, as you have, is not exactly an ideal thing on a forum either as it can cause unnecessary arguments. A PM to the moderator in question would be a better course of action.

Stirring the pot is something i like to do from time to time, so here goes. I just got done reading the question from loftty about the 20 million credit cars, and it seems mr. Daan was a jerk for no reason.
Key word bolded.
So he is a moderator? Kinda like a cop of some sort?
Moderators are people who the site owner has asked to ensure the rules he's set and to which everyone has agreed are adhered to in order to keep the site as it ought to be. See here.
Then i see Famine run to his defense for being a jerk.
Actually I was pointing out to a member who was suggesting he was sucking up to a moderator that he actually IS one, then followed it up with my answer to Scuderia Paul below...
Daan's comment was sarcastic and that is not what you would call dealing with dyslexia professionally.
Many members of staff have experience with dyslexia and other SEN issues. Quite a LOT of experience, actually - and at least two of the staff are dyslexic themselves. We know what it looks like and, more importantly, what it doesn't look like. It is claimed a great deal more often than it actually exists - and I know that folk who have dyslexia find lazy people who claim it as a get-out really annoying, as it trivialises dyslexia to the point that everyone is assumed to be making it up.

That notwithstanding, GTP is an opt-in site with rules that people agree to as part of the sign-up process. People who feel they are unable to abide by them due to language difficulties like dyslexia or, given GTPlanet's global reach, not actually speaking English, should not agree to the rules so readily. We're happy to lend assistance to members who sign up and contact us to let us know it might be a problem - and we have done. I recall a Warning being reversed after a member contacted us after such an intervention.

If i have deterred from either, feel free to let me know. It just seems like a big to do about nothing. Oh well, I'm far from perfect myself and most people here are quite friendly. Love you all!

Edit: so after all that, can I apply for a job as a moderator? :)

If i have deterred from either, feel free to let me know. It just seems like a big to do about nothing. Oh well, I'm far from perfect myself and most people here are quite friendly. Love you all!

Edit: so after all that, can I apply for a job as a moderator? :)
You do realize that's not how moderators are selected correct? It has nothing to do with people wanting to be moderators, it has to do with Jordan and the other moderators selecting new moderators they feel are capable to do the job.

Also, at the moment, there appears to be a lot of new members to the site who got GT6 for this crimbo.

I may be getting a bit jaded, but I'm seeing a lot of questions asked and answered on a daily basis that were asked and answered by Jan '13, and although the search function doesn't always throw up what you want, a little research will go a long way because most things are covered in the forum.

A little bit of lurking fellas, before "ooh, a GTR for my avatar pic, a racy quote for my sig, sort my profile.....now what was the question I was going to ask? Oh yeah!, where's the silver chrome paint?":nervous:

Can't say I'd like to be a Mod at present, because it consists mostly of linking people to an existing thread or shutting down for being inane.

Good luck with that.

:)
I don't really want to be a moderator. It was meant as a joke. Mr. Unknown, I've never seen you post before. So may i ask where i can find the history of GTPlanet? Such as how long GTPlanet has been around, etc.

Stirring the pot is something i like to do from time to time, so here goes. I just got done reading the question from loftty about the 20 million credit cars, and it seems mr. Daan was a jerk for no reason. So he is a moderator? Kinda like a cop of some sort? Then i see Famine run to his defense for being a jerk. Well two things should be required for being on the police force. Common sense and decency. It just might work, it certainly hasn't been tried yet. That's it. Have a nice day Lt. DAAN... :-p

Not sure whether you have been here long enough to make such judgements - however your point about not tolerating rudeness stands; so don't stir the pot - even if you are very, very, very lonely.
Being a member of the staff is hard work - more work than play - and as you have aptly demonstrated - a thankless job.
But, it is the staff responsible for maintaining a modicum of decency, as well as moderating incomprehensible communications that can lead to misunderstanding or the further spread of ignorance.
The least we can do is get to know their individual 'styles' before we jump down their throats.

Remember . . . in Japan you gotta lick the plate. Else you're rude. Or so I've heard.

Hoping I was polite enough with my two cents . . . 👍

I don't get it. The thread in question is started by @lofty4646 and it is you @Bluesman81977 who made this thread to complain about a post made by a moderator directed at lofty4646.
No insult intended. :D

I don't see anything wrong with the post writen by @daan. He was just pointing out that all members have to use proper grammar and spelling.

Don't forget, there are a lot of non English speaking (as a first language) members on GTP, me included and posts with poor grammar and spelling is hard to understand for me and maybe for other non English speaking members as well.

@Jordan wants a first class forum (I think) and he needs moderators to achieve that.

Last edited:
The way I see it, daan was more than accommodating. It's not hard to write a sentence properly, people should try it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back